Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don't like music

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What a weird point of view. Dylan was a bohemian hobo, a country charlatan, and a folk singer. Blue-collar was never really his thing or aesthetic. He made music about the poor, romance, and injustice. I guess he sang a lot about day laborers and such- but this dude was also singing about Mexican Bandits, Chinese opium dens, and snorting cocaine on the French Rivera.

I have no issue with your opinion on the matter- it is fairly truthful actually. I just have NEVER, ever heard anyone make this kind of parallel with regards to the American Blue-Collar context and Springsteen despite a fair amount of music writing and education myself and among other music enthusiasts.

Also, you are aware Fiona Apple predates Laura Marling by more than a decade. So it is somewhat bizarre for Apple to be 'the poor man's' version of... herself?

The way you phrased your whole post is throwing me off, man. lol
    Always thought dylans contributions were huge, ballards to working stiffs and the marginalised (he was a friend of mine, maggies farm etc) but I always thought while springsteen is a little cheesier he caputured the psychological trauma of blue collar america better (factory, darkness at the edge of town).

Fiona apple sucks is bascially what im saying. Even though laura marling is a bit of a rip its so much better.

Some more, even though i hate the nature of pop (a bunch of fat washed up 60 year olds writing soulless hits for some pretty karaoke singer to bang out) lana del rey is actually good even though its so obviously constructed.

Billie elish is awful and creepy. and it looks like her mum drank to much gin when she was preggers given the state of her eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    Coldplay made some pretty great music in their early years. Rush of Blood to the Head is a great album. Same with Linkin Park. Meteora is another great album.
    Oh yeah, I think Coldplay is great. I don't understand internet hate for it. I think it might be for Chris Martin naming his daughter Apple and Gwyneth Paltrow and her Goop-iness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most Music today is pure and utter garbage.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Most of weird als covers are better then the original.
    No, no. Unpopular opinions :P
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Solo singers are better than bands.
    Female singers are better than males.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Kanye had only one truly great album, and it was graduation. He's been milking the hype ever since. Neurosis are the most innovative metal band of the past 3 decades. Lucy Dacus is the best indie singer songwriter out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Always thought dylans contributions were huge, ballards to working stiffs and the marginalised (he was a friend of mine, maggies farm etc) but I always thought while springsteen is a little cheesier he caputured the psychological trauma of blue collar america better (factory, darkness at the edge of town).
    Again, you are not wrong. It's interesting how open Dylan is to impression though.

Fiona apple sucks is bascially what im saying. Even though laura marling is a bit of a rip its so much better.
    I got that. Weird phrasing as I said. Just threw me off. You meant Marling is the connoisseur's Fiona Apple.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2020-09-19 at 05:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The dirty thoughts that enter my mind when I think about Carol Kirkwood.. oh hold on you meant music

Shows like "The Voice", "American's Got Talent", "American Idol", and shows like them just go to prove that the superstar entertainers are not really that special after all and there are thousands of people out there that can do exactly what they do if not better. Therefore they really are not worth the millions of dollars they collect each year and should just be gathering maybe a 6 figure income.

All boils down to who has the best marketing and advertising department/manager.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Shows like "The Voice", "American's Got Talent", "American Idol", and shows like them just go to prove that the superstar entertainers are not really that special after all and there are thousands of people out there that can do exactly what they do if not better. Therefore they really are not worth the millions of dollars they collect each year and should just be gathering maybe a 6 figure income.

All boils down to who has the best marketing and advertising department/manager.
    This is all 100% agreeable although one thing they all have done is prove you do actually have to be able to sing, granted that's the only thing positive they proven.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

everytime i think i have a unpopular opinion i go online and i find a community where it's the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    Same with Linkin Park. Meteora is another great album.
    I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. At least I hope that ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Screaming as vocal technique is awesome and would love to hear it in mainstream music as well.

Coldplay are shit and are the musical equivalent of low fat mayo.

Quote Originally Posted by MiseryIndex View Post
    Kanye had only one truly great album, and it was graduation.
    Is this a controversial take? Kanye's barely better than Drake as a rapper. He has some bonafides as a producer, but his rapping has always been average at best.

Pure rap is overall not music. Its same thing with electronic music - I understand its a taste thing, but Im just not...no. For me to enjoy rap it has to be like more pop for sure, so think early days of Eminem.

Kpop is just safe generic pop and I dont understand the hype. Granted I also never listen to pop music so...

If I cant understand what the person is singing its not music - Stop with the growling metal music...period. Some of the best rock music still being made today are with good vocals. Anyway again its a taste thing, but I enjoy rock music with good lyrics and vocals...think Foo Figthers and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning- View Post
    I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. At least I hope that ^^
    Idd. Linking Park's 2, maybe 3 first album will never be dated imo. They were btw also the most popular rock band ever in terms of streaming. IIRC they were first to 1 billion views for a rock band on YT etc.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I'm not a big music listener. I will only like a song when it's associated with a movie I really like, such as Time in a Bottle in the Quicksilver scene, or most of the Guadians of the Galaxy and Watchmen soundtracks because they're so well paired up with scenes and characters.

Devin Townsend is the most underrated musician of all time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Coldplay are over rated, I don;t get why people love them. Now its true I like some Coldplay stuff, I love their instrumental work, I think Clocks is the best thing they have done. But Chris Martin vocals sounds like a dying drone. I have heard drunks sing better.

And it blows my mind how they became big in America, I have no idea how that happened. OF all the bands from the UK at the time you bloody Americas choose them. lol

Also Travis > Coldplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post

Those shows always feel like glorified karaoke contests to me. Doesn't help bands either. Its great for groups or singles stars though that like the micromanagement of their own career with no creative freedom, unlike the artists that grow independently, who are in charge of their own sound who spend years singing in clubs and pubs developing a style, to garages and churning out their own mixtapes and soundcloud recordings, anything to just to get noticed.

Those 'talent' shows are a great way, or even a cheap way to get around those hurdles, a short cut if you will. Thats if you even get through. Also the applications to get on that show are all down to personality and TV marketability and not talent. Sure they have some talented people get through, but if you don't have a certain look or attitude that can make great TV then you wont get in, its all play for entertainments sake.
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-09-21 at 12:49 PM.