Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    I do hope we get more colour, laughter and replayability in FFXVI.
    It seems to be that the first section of the game, before Ifrit appears, is going to have color and some lightheartedness. No idea about afterwards.

Replayability isn't too much of a factor for me. I like to play games, enjoy the story, and then be done with them. If the story and the combat was good enough, I might replay it. NG+ costume options would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It seems to be that the first section of the game, before Ifrit appears, is going to have color and some lightheartedness. No idea about afterwards.

Replayability isn't too much of a factor for me. I like to play games, enjoy the story, and then be done with them. If the story and the combat was good enough, I might replay it. NG+ costume options would be nice.
    Well Yoshi's had Hildebrand and Gilgamesh somewhere for the last year!

In regards to FFXV, you can customise the outfits of the main cast. Something which many of the previous titles didn't allow for.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    In regards to FFXV, you can customise the outfits of the main cast. Something which many of the previous titles didn't allow for.
    That might be one good thing if it is one playable character rather than a party. They might actually make equippable gear function like gear and not stat sticks again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy isn't like the Trails series where there is an overarching storyline. Pretty much every entry in the series is a self contained story, so just pick whichever FF game appeals to you the most.

My recommendations:
    • IV (original or the 3D remake)
    • VII (original, if you like it and want more FFVII, play the remake. I'd advise against playing the remake first)
    • IX
    • X
    • XII
    • XIV (has the best singleplayer story of any FF, IMO)
    How are you not to mention FFV and FFVI ! GRRRRR!!!!

FFV has one of the best job system ever (it was the original job system which later on improved in Final Fantasy Tactics).

FFVI is my personal favorite because while it is clear that Terra is the main character but the characters roster is so big and almost every each one of the characters has their own personal goal and story fleshed out (with the exception of few characters).

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    (it was the original job system which later on improved in Final Fantasy Tactics)
    The original was in FF3.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

How are you not to mention FFV and FFVI ! GRRRRR!!!!

FFV has one of the best job system ever (it was the original job system which later on improved in Final Fantasy Tactics).

FFVI is my personal favorite because while it is clear that Terra is the main character but the characters roster is so big and almost every each one of the characters has their own personal goal and story fleshed out (with the exception of few characters).
    FFV is pretty good but it wouldn't be my first recommendation if I'm trying to get someone into Final Fantasy. It's a pretty silly game.

Already talked about FFVI earlier in the thread. In short, I think it is an extremely unfocused game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer
    According to an analyst I've spoken to, Final Fantasy 16 is six months full exclusive on PS5, and 12 months console exclusive. That suggests it's coming out on PC six months after launching on PS5, and on Xbox Series X a year later.
    Source

Six months till PC port huh... well at least it isn't a full year like FFVIIR and FFXV were. That will make the wait less agonizing, but damn trying to dodge spoilers... oof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    The original was in FF3.
    Yup my bad now I remembered after replaying it in Nintendo DS but I meant FF5 has the original customized well done job system. In FF3 it was so basic.

- - - Updated - - -

FFV is pretty good but it wouldn't be my first recommendation if I'm trying to get someone into Final Fantasy. It's a pretty silly game.

Already talked about FFVI earlier in the thread. In short, I think it is an extremely unfocused game.

- - - Updated - - -

Source

Six months till PC port huh... well at least it isn't a full year like FFVIIR and FFXV were. That will make the wait less agonizing, but damn trying to dodge spoilers... oof.
    FFVI is so unique tbh it is the only FF game that almost every major character is counting as a main protagonist, like Terra, Celes (specially the focus of her in the start of the world of ruin), Locke and his motivation, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, and even someone as Setzer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    FF16 does look like a general return to form, and I'm definitely intrigued enough to play it. I'm hoping the combat system is similar to or a riff off of the one in FF7R, as I really enjoyed that one and it definitely melded well as a halfway point between traditional ATB RPG and a action-based set up.
    What return to form? That would mean a more tradition fantasy setting with some form of turn based combat.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup my bad now I remembered after replaying it in Nintendo DS but I meant FF5 has the original customized well done job system. In FF3 it was so basic.

- - - Updated - - -

FFVI is so unique tbh it is the only FF game that almost every major character is counting as a main protagonist, like Terra, Celes (specially the focus of her in the start of the world of ruin), Locke and his motivation, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, and even someone as Setzer.
    It's easily hands down the best just due to that. The first half is pretty straight forward, yeah you get a few choose which character/group to play as splits, but the story is as linear as the rest. The broken world part is just like almost every other FF game that "opens up" about half and lets you off the rails. So the whole lack of focus argument is silly, since pretty much every one from 6 on(not counting the MMO, or 15 since I havn't played it, but suspect it's similar) has had a pretty linear story until about half way then allows you to do what ever.

But still in 6 you clearly have a get the band back together feel one you find Terra like a min after Cid dies and you go off on your journey. Not sure why open ended exploration is considered bad for FF6 but open world FF15 is a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I think the point is more in regards to marketing. The protagonist in that picture, to anyone that doesn't play lots of JRPGs, looks like a very typical and cliché anime protagonist, especially with that spiky mane that looks like an emo hairdo to boot. Stupid things like that don't help sell the game.

As to FF16, the swamp level looks literally out of Dark Souls or the Mire of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Not something one usually associates with Final Fantasy.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    What return to form? That would mean a more tradition fantasy setting with some form of turn based combat.
    Return to form in terms of the setting and story (medieval, high fantasy, non-modern). Sadly, I think the day of the turn-based game is well and done with insofar as major titles go - not that I'd mind it, either; turn-based FF was what I cut my teeth on back in the day.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    So the whole lack of focus argument is silly, since pretty much every one from 6 on(not counting the MMO, or 15 since I havn't played it, but suspect it's similar) has had a pretty linear story until about half way then allows you to do what ever.
    Val has a habit of disliking anything that's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Val has a habit of disliking anything that's good.
    Whether true or not, he shouldn't criticize that in one game but not criticize the other 6 that do it too.

- - - Updated - - -

Return to form in terms of the setting and story (medieval, high fantasy, non-modern). Sadly, I think the day of the turn-based game is well and done with insofar as major titles go - not that I'd mind it, either; turn-based FF was what I cut my teeth on back in the day.
    Same here. I'd rather have a system like FF13 s pseudo turn based than that full on meh I saw innthe reveal trailer. Even less interested if it's a one person party. The trailer made it look like there may be more than one important character, but combat only showed one. Not interested if that is the case.

But still in 6 you clearly have a get the band back together feel one you find Terra like a min after Cid dies and you go off on your journey. Not sure why open ended exploration is considered bad for FF6 but open world FF15 is a good thing?
    You let Cid die?
    You MONSTER!
    i reload until i save him, don't want to lose him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    You let Cid die?
    You MONSTER!
    i reload until i save him, don't want to lose him.
    I've played it like once a year since it came out. I've let him live a few times.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

It's easily hands down the best just due to that. The first half is pretty straight forward, yeah you get a few choose which character/group to play as splits, but the story is as linear as the rest. The broken world part is just like almost every other FF game that "opens up" about half and lets you off the rails. So the whole lack of focus argument is silly, since pretty much every one from 6 on(not counting the MMO, or 15 since I havn't played it, but suspect it's similar) has had a pretty linear story until about half way then allows you to do what ever.

I also like the fact that FF14 realm reborn (the base game) storyline is inspired so much by Final Fantasy 6 storyline with the espers and corrupt Empire and they even brought the Magicka machine as a mount with Terra's theme as a throwback for FF6 fans.

I also like the fact that FF14 realm reborn (the base game) storyline is inspired so much by Final Fantasy 6 storyline with the espers and corrupt Empire and they even brought the Magicka machine as a mount with Terra's theme as a throwback for FF6 fans.
    Not a fan of the game but all the fan service from older games is very nice.

I honestly don't think high budget (especially in the graphical department) and turn base will work for the average customer. It would just look silly having people fully rendered just standing there and only moving on command like in the earlier FFs.

That being said there is always going to be a market for a lower budget old school style FF or any other series owned by Square Enix.

People have been doing some digging and it looks like the game may be a late 21/early 22 release and its been worked on since Heavensward came out with many people who left the FFXIV team after that working on this including Heavenwards writer. Which is a damn sight more exciting to me than whatever crazy whispers style OC Nomuras cooking up in his 7 dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post

That being said there is always going to be a market for a lower budget old school style FF or any other series owned by Square Enix.
    I still often pop bravely defaults and FF tactics so hell’s yeah. Hope they make more games like that in addition to the big budget stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :