Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    So apparently against all expectations there's sequel coming.

Source: https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/wo...ortedly-works/

Thoughts?
    That article didn't even get the people's names correct, if this was the only information on a sequel it wouldn't hold up at all. I have seen some other rumblings of it today though so who knows what will happen.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Sure. Enjoyed the first movie. Then again I went in to see some amazing cgi. Which I got.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-09-21 at 06:18 AM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    The first movie wasn't bad, especially if you look into the gutted moments with Garrosh etc. It was just too mainstream and lackluster acting. Orcs looked nice, plot was "okay". It's just, the first war ain't interesting. The fact is, that people wish to see something more epic and profound. Not the "green skinned orcs bad".

Quote Originally Posted by Awelon View Post
    The first movie wasn't bad, especially if you look into the gutted moments with Garrosh etc. It was just too mainstream and lackluster acting. Orcs looked nice, plot was "okay". It's just, the first war ain't interesting. The fact is, that people wish to see something more epic and profound. Not the "green skinned orcs bad".
    The first movie had some really amazing stuff but there was some really bad background orc scenes and other immersion breaking scenes that should have been cut. The acting from Ben Foster was excellent but some of the dialogue for other characters was cringy and forced. I doubt there will be the leadership now in Blizzard to do this right but WoW is circling the toilet bowl where games end anyway so there is really nothing to lose.

Obviously the Lich king story is what makes sense to run with but it will immediately be called Lord of the Rings with a sword instead of a ring. This will destroy the respect for the story before it gets a chance unless it is done just right.

10+ Year Old Account
    What we need is a director's cut of Warcraft. (The high ups at universal completely destroyed the movie and Blizzard didn't care)
    Than we can talk about a sequel.
    Last edited by Masser; 2020-09-21 at 07:11 AM.

I'd love a sequel! I really liked the first one, especially Khadgar and Anduin.
    I'm not sure why anyone would be against it - if you don't like it, don't look into it, it's a bit of an alternative universe anyway.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Awelon View Post
    I suppose you mean Grommash?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    I'd love a sequel! I really liked the first one, especially Khadgar and Anduin.
    I'm not sure why anyone would be against it - if you don't like it, don't look into it, it's a bit of an alternative universe anyway.
    Really? That's the first time I've seen anyone praise those two. For me, they (as well as Llane and Garona) were the absolute worst parts of the movie, they litterally couldn't act their way out of a paperbag.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The first one was shit and it wasn't good in term of original lore(like flying Dalaran, wtf?).

If they do the same with the second, they can just already drown their money in the toilet.

If they showed the story of Arthas and his transition from good to evil to save his people, it would probably resonate a lot more with the non-Warcraft crowd. Starting out with a mediocre story to set up something bigger was a huge blunder in my eyes.

EDIT: As a Warcraft fan, I still liked it though. But I definitely understand why a non-fan would think it's bad.

I feel like a case is made for fantasy franchises to rather do a show than movies.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    This site is saying its a reboot and they are eyeing Chris Pratt for it.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...rcraft-reboot/
    Reboot seems the best way to go about it. The first film was a pile of shit. They marketed it as if it was a sports game, made lore changes that only angered the fans, while the casual randos didn't even understand them, and tried to whitewash the orcish invasion as if it was all just Gul'dan. The whole message of the film was really murky as well. "Our world is dying, so we need a new home, and we're just going to loot, kill, pillage and rape everything in sight when we come at your doorstep." It makes it really hard to sympathise with "heroes" like that.

I don't think it will happen. Sequels have a trend of making less than its predecessor with the exception of something absurdly different like the Avengers movies. They're better off rebooting and starting somewhere better for a large audience. Warcraft didn't exactly get popular from Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, and it's frankly not a super interesting story. I think the idea was approved by Blizzard, maybe Metzen specifically because it hit a good note for them as the creators of that story, but they weren't thinking about the movie as a movie as something someone has no idea about, they're thinking of the movie as people already in love with it.

Don't take this as me saying that they made it complicated. I don't think it was, I don't think that's the reason it didn't hit off with the audience. That's certainly not why it didn't draw people into the theater, because the people who never bothered to see it wouldn't know that, and that didn't stop people from seeing movies like Inception.

Starting with Thrall and essentially playing out like the first Planet of the Apes (of the recent trilogy) could have worked, or starting with Arthas through his story in Reign of Chaos probably would have worked too, I think that the Stratholme scene could have been very compelling in a movie if done well.

I'll also say that while Duncan Jones was very passionate about the project, I don't really dig his ideas with the potential sequels either, and other than Moon he hasn't had anything too stellar, I'd even go as far as saying that Moon isn't as good as many claim.

Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    J-Lo is playing Garona I think.
    Haha, would love that!

And great, I don't mind more Warcraft movies!

They need to start with Warcraft 3 this time, Arthas specifically. It's the best story this whole franchise has to offer.
    Everything else can come after they have critical acclaim and box office success.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    I'll never ever understand the love for the Arthas story. I mean, have people never read King Arthur or watched the Star Wars prequels? He is, litterally, just a mix of Arthur and Anakin. It doesn't get any more cookie cutter than that.
    Last edited by Venziir; 2020-09-21 at 11:52 AM.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Really? That's the first time I've seen anyone praise those two. For me, they (as well as Llane and Garona) were the absolute worst parts of the movie, they litterally couldn't act their way out of a paperbag.
    Not sure who you'd pick from that as actors then. Llane, even though one of my favorite actors, was like he wasn't even there. Garona didn't make an impression. Medivh was ok as looks, since he was supposed to look old and tired for his age, but was really disappointing, his part was so... lifeless, compared to his book character (where he's quite cocky and funny). I liked Anduin, he fit the role. And I REALLY liked Khadgar - I thought his role was the best thing from that movie. I actually liked it so much I went and saw a bunch of the actor's movies.
    Bear in mind I read all the Warcraft books and "The Last Guardian" is my favourite, especially the Khadgar-Medivh interaction. I found Khadgar spot on.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure most critics appreciated Khadgar's actor, Ben Schnetzer. He's seen as one of the film's "few bright spots". But yeah, to each his own I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not again, the last one was bad enough. Also potentially a reboot instead of a sequel? So they'd be starting from the same point as the last one only different changes/fixes this time? Why bother? Just do a TV series instead.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

I hope it's really a reboot and not a sequel. That movie was largely forgettable. Hopefully directing, acting and story are better this time.

All they need to do is NOT film a fanfiction re-imagining of Warcraft's story, but the ACTUAL one. Narrow down the focus a bit if they need to, since there's quite a bit to pick from.

And I do hope to God it's not a sequel, especially not by Duncan Jones, if the script he was planning for the sequel is anything to go by.

I'm down for a reboot - I thought the first movie ... was honestly not good so picking that back up seems like poor judgement.
    I thought it looked great for the record but it was a pacing mess with too many characters, many of them poorly acted (Garona, Llane, Medivh, Lothar ...you know...the humans).

I do not want Chris Pratt in a Warcraft movie though. Isn't it enough for him to be in Jurassic Park and GotG at a time? Must he be all the franchises?