I keep losing my network connection

Hi all,

My computer keeps losing network connection.
    The network connection always disconnects with Event 27 in syslog
    The Network Adapter says 'cable disconnected'
    It's every 1-2minutes for around 10/20 minutes. Sometimes this ocures 10 times a day. Sometimes not once a week.
    The Problem persists for over a year now. Or already two? I'm not sure anymore.
    Every other device has still connection to the router/internet.

Things I've tried:

Reinstalling Windows
    Installing Linux
    Going back to Windows
    Buying a new fritz.box router
    Changing network cable
    using a lan-to-usb connector instead of onboard lan
    giving the IP myself
    setting the network card speed myself
    deactivating everything that has to do with powermanagement or sleep in windows and bios.
    searching for devices with the same IP in my network
    activating and deactivating independent portsharing

Nothing helped and I don't know what else I could try. The Problem even existed during the installation of windows, straight after picking my network connection it started after 10 seconds.

Would be thankful for any idea I can try.

thanks and greetings.

ps: some games have a problem with my NAT type, even though I've set it to open.
    Last edited by Inukashi; 2020-09-21 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    Changing network cable
    How is your network setup, every cable, is it router-->Cable-->PC?

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    How is your network setup, every cable, is it router-->Cable-->PC?
    Yes it is. I've also tried unplugging everyone else and using another port on thr router.

10+ Year Old Account
    this sounds like either a NIC hardware error (Network Card is bad or Driver set is bad) or you may have router issues - can you determine through logs where your disconnection happens (i.e. does your Network card show it as attached to a network even though you dont have an active connections to the Web) or does the disconnected cable happen at the PC (NIC Card) level?

Yes it is. I've also tried unplugging everyone else and using another port on thr router.
    Only two ideas come in mind.

Outside interference somehow? But highly doubtful.

Secondly, something on your mobo is fucked up whether its the drivers or the component itself and its causing you issues. (Basically the NIC the guy said above, was gonna edit but he did a better job).

You didnt mention any hardware changes about your PC so assuming.

And last actually, if you bring a friends PC and plug it into your specific ethernet, what happens? If you havent done it, start with that, that way you can exclude your PC, or exclude the outside of PC parameters like interference or routers or the cables as i said above.

Quote Originally Posted by Wramp View Post
    this sounds like either a NIC hardware error (Network Card is bad or Driver set is bad) or you may have router issues - can you determine through logs where your disconnection happens (i.e. does your Network card show it as attached to a network even though you dont have an active connections to the Web) or does the disconnected cable happen at the PC (NIC Card) level?
    But shouln't the driver error be excluded through reinstalling different OS (also I've updated all the drivers) another thing is.. I've used a Lan-to-usb connector. Shouldn't this Solve the Bad Network Card error?
    I'm also using the third router by now. Every router has the same problem.

The Network Card shows the Network Adapter as "Cable unplugged" the Moment I lose connection. I'm gonna try to monitor the hardware-manager. Maybe it shows the Network Card as disconnected?

- - - Updated - - -

Only two ideas come in mind.

Outside interference somehow? But highly doubtful.

Secondly, something on your mobo is fucked up whether its the drivers or the component itself and its causing you issues. (Basically the NIC the guy said above, was gonna edit but he did a better job).

You didnt mention any hardware changes about your PC so assuming.

And last actually, if you bring a friends PC and plug it into your specific ethernet, what happens? If you havent done it, start with that, that way you can exclude your PC, or exclude the outside of PC parameters like interference or routers or the cables as i said above.
    But shouldn't the defect network slot be 'repaired' by using another lan device like a lan-to-usb adapter?
    If I connect someone else pc, they work. I have 4/5 PCs/Laptops here but only one has the error.

But shouldn't the defect network slot be 'repaired' by using another lan device like a lan-to-usb adapter?
    If I connect someone else pc, they work. I have 4/5 PCs/Laptops here but only one has the error.
    No because the defect isnt the lan itself, its something deeper into the system, some chip or chipset is corrupted itself or causes corruptions to the driver, both of those should be passing through the secondary driver to perform their job, which is where the problem is.

<LAN/LAN to USB>---<Whatever deals with LAN (Southbridge or something before southbridge?) (Problem)>-->CPU/RAM etc.

What could possibly be happening is that

1)Either the driver has a setting that your buggy chip cant work out, hence the failures.
    2)The chip itself is "corrupting" the driver because it cant perform something.

Since you already said you have 5 PCs and only one does it, its kinda obvious its that.
    Last edited by potis; 2020-09-21 at 01:39 PM.

No because the defect isnt the lan itself, its something deeper into the system, some chip or chipset is corrupted itself or causes corruptions to the driver.

What could possibly be happening is that

1)Either the driver has a setting that your buggy chip cant work out, hence the failures.
    2)The chip itself is "corrupting" the driver because it cant perform something.

Since you already said you have 5 PCs and only one does it, its kinda obvious its that.
    So how can I fix it? Do you think deactivating the on-board lan-port and only using usb-to-lan or a new network card could fix it?

So how can I fix it? Do you think deactivating the on-board lan-port and only using usb-to-lan or a new network card could fix it?
    I was editing, you can try with a new network card but i doubt it since the problem isnt there, its deeper, unless the PCI goes from a different chipset ?:S

You can replace the motherboard

Also you said 3 routers, have you taken the PC to someone else to see if its happening there?
    Last edited by potis; 2020-09-21 at 01:45 PM.

I was editing, you can try with a new network card but i doubt it since the problem isnt there, its deeper, unless the PCI goes from a different chipset ?:S

You can replace the motherboard

Also you said 3 routers, have you taken the PC to someone else to see if its happening there?
    ugh, I'm a developer, hardware was always my weak part

Guess I need to try! Thank you.

You mentioned you bought a new router. Did the other PC's on the network have the same / similar disconnects?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic1962 View Post
    You mentioned you bought a new router. Did the other PC's on the network have the same / similar disconnects?
    No. I've just bought a new router because the wlan in my house was pretty bad and the new one is stronger.
    The other PCs dont have the network issues though, never had.

Hi all,

My computer keeps losing network connection.
    The network connection always disconnects with Event 27 in syslog
    The Network Adapter says 'cable disconnected'
    It's every 1-2minutes for around 10/20 minutes. Sometimes this ocures 10 times a day. Sometimes not once a week.
    The Problem persists for over a year now. Or already two? I'm not sure anymore.
    Every other device has still connection to the router/internet.

Things I've tried:

Reinstalling Windows
    Installing Linux
    Going back to Windows
    Buying a new fritz.box router
    Changing network cable
    using a lan-to-usb connector instead of onboard lan
    giving the IP myself
    setting the network card speed myself
    deactivating everything that has to do with powermanagement or sleep in windows and bios.
    searching for devices with the same IP in my network
    activating and deactivating independent portsharing

Nothing helped and I don't know what else I could try. The Problem even existed during the installation of windows, straight after picking my network connection it started after 10 seconds.

Would be thankful for any idea I can try.

thanks and greetings.

ps: some games have a problem with my NAT type, even though I've set it to open.
    I'd put money on it being a bad cable between the router and your line.

- - - Updated - - -

No. I've just bought a new router because the wlan in my house was pretty bad and the new one is stronger.
    The other PCs dont have the network issues though, never had.
    Ah nvm that suggests its something else.

Well, this type of issue can be hard to troubleshoot but from I've gathered there's something wrong with your computer.

So, we must look at the software and hardware.

For software, by default the onboard nic should work with the supplied window driver (another option is to get an updated driver from motherboard's manufacturer site). I assume the network settings are left as default for the network adapter in windows to eliminate the possiblity of ip conflicts.

Another place for software related to nics are the bios and third party software like intel or what not. But those should be left as they are by default and don't need to be changed.

Which leaves the hardware.

Because this problem doesn't occur when using the other pc or a friends pc that that eliminates network cable, isp, router, modem.

All that's left is the motherboard and nic itself.

From my experience, a short caused by a loose screw under the motherboard (forgetting or losing a motherboard riser screw, screwing them in too tight) can cause a short and the nic to behave this way (I've experienced this). Same with the back i/o panel plate (bent pins touching the computer case when the motherboard was put into the case) causing a short to occur is another possibility.

A complete reseat of the motherboard and cables might help with this.

Lastly, the nic itself can be bad and you should just disable it and get a pci express one instead.

Hope you are able to resolve this issue.
    Last edited by c0rnel; 2020-09-25 at 09:27 AM.

Personal experience leads me to believe this is either a driver issue or hardware. Had this before myself and took a while to figure out. My problem was indeed the motherboard has the Southbridge chip which controls the network interface was faulty. If you have a local pc repair shop, ask them to see if they can diagnose the issue but request they contact you before replacing anything.

I had this issue for years on my ethernet cable that runs through the walls and under the roof, every time someone turns on a ceiling light in the house my ethernet disconnects for a second. I bought a new computer and it still persisted, the only thing that fixed it was i had the isp relocate the fiber modem to my room.