Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Noooo, i don’t want doom to end up like halo

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Bad news for Mac and Linux. I can see M$ going for more, to push their rotten DX12 and make people stay with Windows because of this. I've seen something like this coming for a long time now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrac...and_extinguish
    You can dual boot and have both OS get over it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Don't cut your self with that edge chief, at least we have established you know nothing about Linux, the only positive thing from your post.
    Yeah, I mean I only supported a UNIX environment from 2004-2007 (Solaris), I also started messing around with Linux in 1998 on Redhat at my highschool, and moved on to Fedora and Ubuntu around 2003 when I first started into IT.

It's not that I don't understand that people don't try to game on Linux, and there have been some gains in the past 10 years or so in that area... It's that really... no one gives a fuck what distro you are running, Linux has its place, but it's place is certainly not on gaming PCs. At all... It never has been and never will be, same with Mac OS.

So maybe you should watch your own edge there sport. Your comment was asinine because saying "bad news for linux and Mac OS" is ignoring the fact those 2 have never had good news when it comes to gaming, outside of WINE improvements.

And don't @Me with Sony using unix based OS or whatever, it's a closed system. Worrying about Linux gaming on PCs is the same as worrying about PS4 games not working on PS4s that are running Windows or some other non-FreeBSD Sony OS.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2020-09-21 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    They are still using the Creation engine in both Starfield and the next ES game. And Bethesda might talk up the overhaul, but they did the same thing when Skyrim was announced - they actually said Skyrim ran on an all-new engine, which was a lie. Skyrim is running on an upgraded version of the same engine used in MW, Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas... there are actually traces of VATS code in Skyrim, and Fallout 76 even reuses some of the code from Skyrim's dragons for the Scorchbeasts. Which explains why they suffer from several of the same bugs (like dead Scorchbeasts randomly appearing and falling out of the sky like dragon skeletons do in Skyrim).

So yeah... take anything Bethesda says about 'omg new engine!!!' with about 10,000 grains of salt.
    That was said by a rando community manager. And Skyrim did use an upgraded version of the Gamebryo engine, so it's not like them using something new is unbelievable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesock View Post
    That was said by a rando community manager. And Skyrim did use an upgraded version of the Gamebryo engine, so it's not like them using something new is unbelievable.
    Didn't realize Todd Howard was a rando community manager https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018...s_vi_starfield

And yes, I know they used an upgraded Gamebryo engine for Skyrim - that is literally what I said.

Skyrim is running on an upgraded version of the same engine used in MW, Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas... there are actually traces of VATS code in Skyrim
    I have every confidence that Starfield will look better than FO4/76 or Skyrim - that's practically a given. But when it comes to the engine running their games they cut corners, overhype and underdeliver. They did it with Oblivion (showing videos of the game before key rendering tech was stripped out like real-time environmental shadows), they did it with Skyrim (this game runs on all new engine™!) and they hyped up Fallout 76's 'advanced' rendering tech which still manages to somehow look worse than the original version of Skyrim with an ENB.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-09-21 at 06:30 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Didn't realize Todd Howard was a rando community manager https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018...s_vi_starfield

And yes, I know they used an upgraded Gamebryo engine for Skyrim - that is literally what I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka
    they actually said Skyrim ran on an all-new engine, which was a lie.
    ^

This was said by a rando community manager.

What Todd actually said about the new engine was.

It’s led to our largest engine overhaul since Oblivion, with all new technologies powering our first new IP in 25 years, Starfield, as well as The Elder Scrolls VI.

So there's nothing here to be "taken with a 10000 grains of salt", because everything they said is true. They are overhauling them, and they are using new technologies, some of which we've already seen (motion capture and photo realistic graphics).

A Bethesda game? Without bugs?
    We're playing Halo 3 on PC this year. Anything's possible (given 13 years...).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Wooo ODST coming out tomorrow!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    A game of Fallout 4 or Skyrim's scale without bugs is literally not possible.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    A game of Fallout 4 or Skyrim's scale without bugs is literally not possible.
    Sure, but there are bugs and there are bugs, and Bethesda games tend to be very buggy. Bethesda's bugs and jank are so in-your-face that it's a wonder they aren't included in the features list on the back of the box.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesock View Post
    ^

This was said by a rando community manager.

What Todd actually said about the new engine was.

It’s led to our largest engine overhaul since Oblivion, with all new technologies powering our first new IP in 25 years, Starfield, as well as The Elder Scrolls VI.

So there's nothing here to be "taken with a 10000 grains of salt", because everything they said is true. They are overhauling them, and they are using new technologies, some of which we've already seen (motion capture and photo realistic graphics).
    Sorry but you picked the wrong person to argue with this stuff about. And I'm not bragging when I say that... remembering everything sucks sometimes.

http://www.wouldyoukindly.com/bethes...awesome-power/

https://mygaming.co.za/news/features...on-engine.html

The last iteration of the Elder Scrolls series, The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, was considered a technological marvel when it was released back in March 2006, running on the Gamebryo 3D engine. Now, almost five years later, the announcement that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will use a brand new engine to render visuals was received very positively.

When Skyrim was announced/prior to being released, Todd Howard himself spoke of the creation engine on several occasions as an all-new thing, when it is not - at its core is the same code that powered MW/Oblivion/Skyrim. Once the game was in people's hands it was quickly figured out that Creation engine= Gamebryo with improved rendering capabilities. A better version of the engine, sure, but absolutely the same engine.

And therein lies my skepticism - they have outright mislead people about the tech running their games before. I'm excited for SF and ES6, but I feel like there are developers who have kind of passed them by in terms of compelling open-world games (CDPR for example). And I think their aging engine is a part of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Sure, but there are bugs and there are bugs, and Bethesda games tend to be very buggy. Bethesda's bugs and jank are so in-your-face that it's a wonder they aren't included in the features list on the back of the box.
    The fact that they released Skyrim on Switch in 2018 with basically all of the bugs of post-DLC vanilla Skyrim (e.g. thousands of them) says volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    There is absolutely no way they would make those titles Xbox exclusive. There would be no good reason to.
    I genuinely doubt they will. Their entire thing sort of became accessibility. But you will likely get a lot of firsts for PC and Xbox... I also hope it means Obsidian gets to make Fallout, which... i think we all hope.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

Facebook update:

Microsoft is feeling excited

Felt cute today so I decided to buy myself a Zenimax bundle! It goes so well with the rest of my wardrobe!!! [emoji7]

Maybe tomorrow ill buy E.A. [emoji57]

#moneyproblems #allyourstudiosarebelongtous #spoilmyself

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Sorry but you picked the wrong person to argue with this stuff about. And I'm not bragging when I say that... remembering everything sucks sometimes.

http://www.wouldyoukindly.com/bethes...awesome-power/

https://mygaming.co.za/news/features...on-engine.html

The last iteration of the Elder Scrolls series, The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, was considered a technological marvel when it was released back in March 2006, running on the Gamebryo 3D engine. Now, almost five years later, the announcement that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will use a brand new engine to render visuals was received very positively.
    In neither of those links is there ever a quote where a Todd, or anyone else, says that they use a brand new engine just the journalist. The only quote that ever came out of Betheda's mouth that it's a new engine was from a random community manager on twitter.

The thing you quoted was an unsourced claim by the writer of the article. Unless you have some quotes of Todd or someone high up saying this, this is kind of a moot argument.

When Skyrim was announced/prior to being released, Todd Howard himself spoke of the creation engine on several occasions as an all-new thing, when it is not - at its core is the same code that powered MW/Oblivion/Skyrim.
    Again, they never claimed is a whole new engine, they just said they were rewriting it in order to repurposed it for Skyrim. Which is a true claim, and they did.

Once the game was in people's hands it was quickly figured out that Creation engine= Gamebryo with improved rendering capabilities. A better version of the engine, sure, but absolutely the same engine.
    This was always the case.

And therein lies my skepticism - they have outright mislead people about the tech running their games before.
    They've never misled the people about the tech they were going to use. This just seems more you misunderstanding what they were saying then them lying. Besides the community manager (and you should always take what these guys say with a grain of salt, especially if they say through unofficial channels like twitter), everything they said was true.

inb4 you bring up "sIxTeEn TiMeS tHe DeTaIl" another statement taken out of context.

I'm excited for SF and ES6, but I feel like there are developers who have kind of passed them by in terms of compelling open-world games (CDPR for example). And I think their aging engine is a part of that.
    That's your opinion and all, but there hasn't been another game studio that has come close to the level of open world freedom, interaction and detail that Bethesda has done. Sure Witcher 3 was good and all, but think back when you were in Novigrad and how many unique NPCs there were, how many of them actually had a story, how many doors could you open, what items could you pick up, etc. In that regard Whitrun has more to offer than Novigrad, quality over quantity, but then again that's not what Witcher was offering so they're not really comparable. CDPR is offering a completely different take on open world than Bethesda.

Not arguing about Cyberpunk because it isn't out yet, maybe that will change it, but so far the way Bethesda has done open world games is standing unsurpassed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting...

Sounds like Bethesda finally left it's pre-alpha stage of development.

Maybe now they'll actually make games instead of their usual interactive bug software.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Oh great, a massive corporation buying even more of the market share. What could go wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Microsoft has the best gaming service right now, hands down. Nothing beats Xbox/Game Pass as a service except making (the PC App could be optimized).

They needed a huge studio in their pocket. The market feels competitive again.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Microsoft has the best gaming service right now, hands down. Nothing beats Xbox/Game Pass as a service except making (the PC App could be optimized).

They needed a huge studio in their pocket. The market feels competitive again.
    The beta app is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than the non-beta version. It got entirely rewritten with react native (previously it was electron).

10+ Year Old Account
    They are still using the Creation engine in both Starfield and the next ES game. And Bethesda might talk up the overhaul, but they did the same thing when Skyrim was announced - they actually said Skyrim ran on an all-new engine, which was a lie. Skyrim is running on an upgraded version of the same engine used in MW, Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas... there are actually traces of VATS code in Skyrim, and Fallout 76 even reuses some of the code from Skyrim's dragons for the Scorchbeasts. Which explains why they suffer from several of the same bugs (like dead Scorchbeasts randomly appearing and falling out of the sky like dragon skeletons do in Skyrim).

So yeah... take anything Bethesda says about 'omg new engine!!!' with about 10,000 grains of salt.
    Hmm. I can't counter any of this information but when they said 'new engine' they probably meant a new generation of of the Creation Engine.

There's a big a leap between the iteration they used for vanilla Skyrim and the current version. It's more than just patching the version they used for vanilla Skyrim.

In other terms it would be like calling Unreal 3 and Unreal 4 the same engine.

Resident Cosplay Progressive