10+ Year Old Account

Question Someone help me understand the mask rule regarding sports.

So can somebody explain to me why it's ok for the athletes in the NFL and the NBA to not wear masks while playing but it's not ok for regular people to go out to a public park and play those same games without masks? Parks near where I live have their basketball hoops taken down so you couldn't even go and play by yourself. Also to mention the fact that NONE of them socially distance themselves nor wear masks when they're on the sideline but there going to say that there can't be any crowds even if they're socially distancing themselves and wearing masks? So the rules apply to every regular citizen but not the rich athletes? I smell bullshit going on here.

So to me it seems it's ok if it's bringing in millions of dollars but if you're just a regular person wanting to play outside with your friends you can't.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    So can somebody explain to me why it's ok for the athletes in the NFL and the NBA to not wear masks while playing but it's not ok for regular people to go out to a public park and play those same games without masks? Parks near where I live have their basketball hoops taken down so you couldn't even go and play by yourself. Also to mention the fact that NONE of them socially distance themselves nor wear masks when they're on the sideline but there going to say that there can't be any crowds even if they're socially distancing themselves and wearing masks? So the rules apply to every regular citizen but not the rich athletes? I smell bullshit going on here.

So to me it seems it's ok if it's bringing in millions of dollars but if you're just a regular person wanting to play outside with your friends you can't.
    Just put on the fucking mask.

I can only speak for the NHL. The players are quarantined and tested constantly. Bo Horvat wasn't even able to see his new born when his team was in the playoffs. They are essentially in their own bubble.

The people in the NBA are in the bubble, as in no one leaves (unless your team loses, like the Clippers blowing a 3-1 lead) or comes in, as for the NFL I have no idea...IIRC none of them have tested positive yet and I don't think any NBA players in the bubble have tested positive since they started so if you don't have rona then you can fling sweat and breath on other people no problem...
    Last edited by tylenol; 2020-09-21 at 08:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If y'all don't have multimillion dollar medical teams testing you constantly to make sure you don't get Rona (which you don't, since you live in the US), that's the differing factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

These athletes get tested before and after every game. They are also isolated so they don't come into contact with many other people. Even so, there is still a non-zero chance of catching covid... which is why they test so much. If a player tests positive he gets quarantined and all the players he may have come into contact with will get tested again. They don't wear masks on the sidelines because they can be reasonably sure that the players next to them are not infected. Not 100% sure...but reasonably. The chances of any of these games leading to a superspreader event are quite low.

Compare that to playing in the park with regular people or crowds in the stands. When was the last time you got a covid test? What about the people around you? When will you get your next test after the game? What's your plan to self-isolate?

This sounds like a pathetic whine. You are confusing what a private industry is doing to keep its employees healthy, to whatever your local government (which you didn't even say) is supposedly doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    This sounds like a pathetic whine. You are confusing what a private industry is doing to keep its employees healthy, to whatever your local government (which you didn't even say) is supposedly doing.
    No I was legitimately wondering what the rules were while also giving my opinion about it. Now, thanks to some people in here, I now understand. This sounds like a pathetic attempt at trying to get into some fight with me and trying to seem like some know it all tough guy. Fuck off dude.

To the others thank you for explaining what was going on. I was expecting more people to just bash on me for simply trying to understand something like this guy here.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

When it becomes viable for you and your friends economically to play in a stadium of your own, get tested once or twice a day and pay whatever it costs to receive top notch private healthcare, then you can go play with your buddies maskless.

If not, just wear the fucking mask, so this passes already and we can all stop wearing masks and go to school/work/bars etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe irs because those are players have either submitted to living in a bubble ans/or are tested before they can play.

Its that simple.

The public doesn't properly restrict their movement /cant/won't be tested in the same capacity as professional athletes.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Or move here to Sweden, havent seen anyone using mask apart from on airport (but that was before covid). If I did see someone use mask here i would really avoid that one because s/he probably are sick. (Of cause nurses and medical personal use, but they kind of always has).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Or move here to Sweden, havent seen anyone using mask apart from on airport (but that was before covid). If I did see someone use mask here i would really avoid that one because s/he probably are sick. (Of cause nurses and medical personal use, but they kind of always has).
    Ah yes. Sweden. That place known for its very effective approach to COVID. That Sweden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Every time I read a post by someone whining about having to wear a mask, my mind automatically inserts the Eric Cartman crying voice. It's like magic.

Did I say that I agree with how Sweden is handling things? I think they have been acting like idiots. To say that in Sweden makes me a nazi, here only far right talk about masks being a good thing.

To prove it:
    https://www.svt.se/nyheter/sverigede...ja-ha-munskydd
    Translation, only the Swedishdemocrats want us to use masks. And that party is considered far-right or naziparty by all that is a bit on the left.

And the left here is of cause against masks since swedendemocrats is for masks.
    Last edited by Bodonius; 2020-09-21 at 09:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Every time I read a post by someone whining about having to wear a mask, my mind automatically inserts the Eric Cartman crying voice. It's like magic.
    Where do you get me whining about wearing a mask? Please show me exactly where in my OP where I was complaining about wearing a mask.

I was asking why athletes aren't forced to wear masks or socially distance while we are being told 100 times a day how important wearing a mask and socially distancing yourself from other people is.

Where do you get me whining about wearing a mask? Please show me exactly where in my OP where I was complaining about wearing a mask.

I was asking why athletes aren't forced to wear masks or socially distance while we are being told 100 times a day how important wearing a mask and socially distancing yourself from other people is.
    Yeah dude, he's not whining about having to wear a mask. He's whining that other people DON'T have to wear a mask. Get it straight!

I'm kidding. I'm actually glad you saw a discrepancy and decided to ask why one exists. A lot of others would just make an assumption that masks aren't really necessary and go about infecting others and themselves. Good on ya.

If somewhere requires you to wear a mask you wear a mask it's pretty simple. like around here the vast majority of places require it now except for corner stores.

No I was legitimately wondering what the rules were while also giving my opinion about it. Now, thanks to some people in here, I now understand. This sounds like a pathetic attempt at trying to get into some fight with me and trying to seem like some know it all tough guy. Fuck off dude.

To the others thank you for explaining what was going on. I was expecting more people to just bash on me for simply trying to understand something like this guy here.
    What are the rules where you live, can you provide a site?

It was a whine on your part, you created the thread to whine, when you could have simply looked it up on Google, and it would have been faster.

5+ Year Old Account
    This is closed: There is a subforum for sports-specific questions and a Corona Virus Mega-Thread if you wanted to focus more on that topic instead.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."