The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    Well, the GOP sat on a vacant seat for over nine months without issue while Obama was president and only filled it once their president was elected. They didn't care about having a hearing or passing a vote. They could have voted, "No", and then Obama could have appointed another candidate, but they didn't even try to work with him. Now, they are looking to fill another seat in weeks when it's clear they still have no intention of working with Democrats. They are political vultures, and they have no standards.
    The real question is how many seats should the Democrats add to SCOTUS if they win out in Nov?

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I was referring to toasting and being ecstatic when he died, not whether Obama gets to appoint a judge. However if you want to bring that into it, I said they shouldve held hearing on Garland and then held a vote, and then when the senate voted no, nobody could say he wasnt given a chance
    they didn't vote at all, wtf? You are a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The real question is how many seats should the Democrats add to SCOTUS if they win out in Nov?
    Let's go with 4.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

I say four. Two that they were screwed over. And two to make it even.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

I read somewhere another option would be to REDUCE the number of seats to 7, which would get rid of the last 2 appointed judges. An interesting option.

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    I read somewhere another option would be to REDUCE the number of seats to 7, which would get rid of the last 2 appointed judges. An interesting option.
    LOL. That would be glorious.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    Two hundred thousand Americans dead.

That's 50,000 Benghazis
    66.6 9/11s
    3.4 Vietnams
    2 World War I's

But according to the President, who told Bob Woodward "he likes to down play it," it affects "virtually nobody."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/22/u...ly-nobody.html

Tell the families of 200,000 victims that their loved one was a virtual nobody.

But as long as Orlong can get his SCOTUS judge in place, what does it matter? Despicable.
    Putin khuliyo

I saw this article floating around twitter where it calls for 27 judges. It an interesting read and I think makes some valid points for adding more seats to the SC.

https://time.com/5338689/supreme-court-packing/

But then it would be a 4-3 GOP advantage - which still sucks.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    That would be VERY interesting.

The Democrats could reduce it by two...wait a year...then increase it.

Nothing saying they can't reduce it to 7, and then immediately after that increase it back to 9
    That right there. I like. That is the type of crap Mitch would totally do, so it would be satisfying to see it thrown back in his face if it happened.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadriker View Post
    I saw this article floating around twitter where it calls for 27 judges. It an interesting read and I think makes some valid points for adding more seats to the SC.

That's an interesting position.

I like the idea of dramatically increasing the court size, and even considering gradually appointing justices to it (that's me and my silly partisianshipness coming out - I'll try and keep it in check). One issue that popped out, is the reasoning behind making the SCOTUS much larger (double or tripling it) is because Circuit courts sometimes hear cases in smaller groups. That wouldn't work for SCOTUS, at least initially. But even that objection isn't a big one.

It's certainly worth considering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    That right there. I like. That is the type of crap Mitch would totally do, so it would be satisfying to see it thrown back in his face if it happened.
    We must, MUST, act-like-Mitch if we win out in November. The Democrats cannot afford to continue playing by a set of rules the GOP no longer even recognizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    LOL. That would be glorious.
    I would not be against this. brett brett and whoever the fuck they ram through not having a cushy lifetime job where they have a say in deciding the fate of hundreds of millions of people, would be ace!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I would not be against this. brett brett and whoever the fuck they ram through not having a cushy lifetime job where they have a say in deciding the fate of hundreds of millions of people, would be ace!
    Is there any law or ruling on this? Are we sure the most recent two drop? Or do they wait until someone retires.... Because if it's the later, it would solidify a conservative majority that exists now, and then it would just be a waiting game for who retires/dies first.

Is there any law or ruling on this? Are we sure the most recent two drop? Or do they wait until someone retires.... Because if it's the later, it would solidify a conservative majority that exists now, and then it would just be a waiting game for who retires/dies first.
    Idk, good question. If there isn't a law, and we have full control of congress and white house, we make it a law. I just want rapey brett and this new person not to have their jobs.

Agreed, with apologies to PJ and Squi. Here's more on a couple of Trump's likely picks:

Lagoa https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...l?via=taps_top

Coney Barrett https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...us-future.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadriker View Post

I heard of a system of 15 judges, BUT only 9, picked at random, listen to any given case.

I should go looking for the article for that. Not saying I'm for it, just found it interesting.
    Putin khuliyo

Idk, good question. If there isn't a law, and we have full control of congress and white house, we make it a law. I just want rapey brett and this new person not to have their jobs.
    Since it's not specified in the Constitution, we just do what the GOP does and decide it's so for as long as it's convenient, and then change it when it suits us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferly View Post
    The orange turd just set a new record, 200000 dead. USA USA USA
    Yeah but they're all virtual nobodies according to Donald Trump.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Ferly View Post
    The orange turd just set a new record, 200000 dead. USA USA USA
    Second largest non-war related casualty event in the US! We're 1/3 of the way to the 1918 flu pandemic numbers, maybe we can beat that even with a century of medical advances!