Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    To be honest, Shadows Rising doesn't really do much to change Sylvanas' characterization from what we already know. The epilogue is basically the text version of the climax of her fight with Bolvar and sundering the Helm of Domination. She does indeed seek power, but not for its own sake - apparently she feels the Jailer shares her goal of upending the cosmic order of the Warcraft universe because both feel imprisoned by it in some way, probably literally in the Jailer's case.
    I must say the lack of Sylvanas in the book was one of the things that make me dislike it, as weird as that is. I was expecting some insight, a hint at an explanation at least, but these two pages were just same old, same old. Maybe this is indeed because there is no deeper meaning. Sylvanas wants to destroy the universe because she is a psychopath, in her own way breaking the cycle, just in a much more final way. Then we stop her. The End.

If this holds true I reaaaaally hope that it will not be dragged out over the entire expansion with us hunting Sylvanas from Raid to Raid. Finish her off in the second Raid and hope that the Jailor has a more interesting plot behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    I must say the lack of Sylvanas in the book was one of the things that make me dislike it, as weird as that is. I was expecting some insight, a hint at an explanation at least, but these two pages were just same old, same old. Maybe this is indeed because there is no deeper meaning. Sylvanas wants to destroy the universe because she is a psychopath, in her own way breaking the cycle, just in a much more final way. Then we stop her. The End.

If this holds true I reaaaaally hope that it will not be dragged out over the entire expansion with us hunting Sylvanas from Raid to Raid. Finish her off in the second Raid and hope that the Jailor has a more interesting plot behind him.
    I don't think you need to worry about the last part, we'll likely only fight her once in a raid, but the overall sentiment is one I agree with. It's very clear at this point that she won't have much of a motive beyond just being evil, but the question is whether they'll parlay this into the Jailor having more to do and having an actual motive of his own or if we're left with two baddies who've got nothing going for them. The fact that you could exchange their lines with each other's in the current release of the intro scenario and nothing would feel out of place doesn't exactly fill me with hope.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post

They can't. That is way to big of a lore moment to put it in a book where 99% of the players will never see it.

Everything directly Sylvannas will only be revealed in SL. If there is deeper meaning or not i don't know and tbh i don't car too much. I care only about her for her connection to Tyrande right now. Story wise the Jailor is the evil for me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulantik View Post
    "The unjust ladder of their lives must be dismantled, not rung my rung, but all at once.'

This is the most unsubtle attempt at trying to be Daenerys 'breaking the wheel' that I have ever heard.
    The difference being that Daenerys was right because the common people of Westeros were oppressed by the powerful, while Sylvanas is wrong because the cosmos is not badly-structured, she's just butthurt she went to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/sGRrI5E.png

Basically what a lot of people expected: she's sick of her lot in life and wants to destroy everything because she's butthurt.

Is anyone actually surprised or thought she would have a heroic reason?
    That's certainly one interpretation if you take it in isolation and account for your preconceptions before reading it. However, Nathanos says a couple of things over the course of the book that suggest a deeper motive than, or alternative motive to, allout destruction.

The book certainly rejuvenated my interest in the Shadowlands story having lost all hope over the last few expansions.

The relationship between Sylvanas and Nathanos: cucking and simping

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentavius View Post
    That's certainly one interpretation if you take it in isolation and account for your preconceptions before reading it. However, Nathanos says a couple of things over the course of the book that suggest a deeper motive than, or alternative motive to, allout destruction.

The book certainly rejuvenated my interest in the Shadowlands story having lost all hope over the last few expansions.
    I think she does not want to end life.

I think she wants to end mortality itself. Those are not the same thing.

Almost a new way to exist. It's an interesting thought to explore lets see how they do it.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    I think she does not want to end life.

I think she wants to end mortality itself. Those are not the same thing.

Almost a new way to exist. It's an interesting thought to explore lets see how they do it.
    Everything she says and does points to this.
    Burning of Teldrassil? Not a big deal to her as it serves 2 points. (1) to dishearten her enemy. It backfires. (2). It’s not a big deal because when she gets her end goal everyone will be brought back, free from the shackles of death. This brings me to:
    She keeps saying “she’ll set us free,” and “we will be free.” This seems to point to the fact she wants to relieve everyone from the shackles of death, which also has the benefit of making everyone stronger against the void and other threats.

Now, I’m not saying she’s some benevolent mastermind as she is committing atrocities and genocide; however, a lot of people lately think Arthas deserves redemption because his atrocities and evilness were for the greater good (which is complete bullshit in my opinion), but state Syl is unreedmable. It’s interesting to say the least. Personally I think they are both irredeemable.

Nothing of the above is anything new. We've known since Before the Storm that Sylvanas sees Undeath as a higher state of existence, and seeks to "free the living from the shackles of mortality". That's why she wanted to unleash the Horde on Stormwind and exterminate every living being in it.

I don't understand how can you apply psychology to an undead being who is animated by magic...