Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Turalyon, the next Garrosh? [SPOILERS]

So apparently he's the new leader of the Alliance. In 8.3 we got this goodie from the Rumor Tumor:

The golden one claims a vacant throne. The crown of light will bring only darkness.

Could Turalyon be the next Garrosh by forcing the Light on everyone?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Garrosh's Iron Horde failed where the Army of Light will triumph.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be an interesting plot twist but personally I think its kinda shitty. We spent almost a decade wondering what happened to him and Alleria, so I hate the idea of finding them only for them to turn into 'muhahahaha!' villains.

Besides, they already did this with Yrel. Make her the tyrant of the Light that finds a way to our Azeroth.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Would be an interesting plot twist but personally I think its kinda shitty. We spent almost a decade wondering what happened to him and Alleria, so I hate the idea of finding them only for them to turn into 'muhahahaha!' villains.

Besides, they already did this with Yrel. Make her the tyrant of the Light that finds a way to our Azeroth.
    Expanding on the fact that the light resorts to creating crazed zealots and is potentially an evil hiding underneath a hero's veil could be a really interesting concept if done right. That's a big if though

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean they were already fanatics in legion and the last book, so i wouldnt be suprised.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Would like to see Blizzard take a crack at the Light being a bad guy personally. Xera/Illidan was interesting... would like to see it go further... and characters would differentiate from each other. Like Turalyon/Yrel may be extremists... but how would Velen or Anduin handle a scenario where being a follower of the light has to fight back against overzealous light wielders.

Never going to happen, the Alliance is the good faction. They are physically unable to do anything evil or take initiative to stop things before they happen. The Alliance can only react while the Horde keeps getting hit with the dumb ass villain bat. At this point, the Horde has terminal brain damage.
    Retail sucks. Classic sucks. No positivity, only negative feedback. Why is everybody so damn miserable? Must be somebody else's fault, it couldn't possibly be my INSANELY TOXIC ATTITUDE.

It frustrates me beyond belief that the god of deception just purely tells us the truth about every single thing. Making the Light evil is just contrived at this point. It has no hints of it until Legion. It's all in service of the attempted "Morally Grey" story telling attempts. GoT really ruined fantasy.

It just plain sucks. I miss more simple stories.
    Last edited by Varitok; 2020-09-24 at 01:41 AM.

Turalyon is more likely to be manipulated by the Light but stay true to his morals when confronted with the truth. he's already been shown to accept that the Light isn't always Right and to trust those who use the Void (and not just his wife either) even if he is wary of it

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    It frustrates me beyond belief that the god of deception just purely tells us the truth about every single thing.
    truth is often an excellent weapon in deception and any convincing lie has seeds of truth making it believable

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Making the Light evil is just contrived at this point. It has no hints of it until Legion.
    I'd call the whole Dark Naruu thing in Sunwell something of a hint to the possibility, not to mention the fact that the Scarlet Crusade continued to be able to wield the Light despite their atrocities
    Last edited by rayvio; 2020-09-24 at 01:52 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the VOID, the fucking SHADOW BEHIND ALL THE DARKNESS IN THE WORLD, is totally 100% trustworthy and dindu nuffin and the Light, you know that thing that stops the Void taking over and ruining everything for everyone forever, is not only "just as bad" but absolutely irredeemably evil all along. Why? Because it makes people 'fanatics'? IDK man but Yrel is kinda justified. The orcs got to genocide her people and were handwaved and then went to Azeroth, genocided a bit more until stopped, went back in fucking time to wipe her people out, were stopped AGAIN, but when she's finally had enough and rather than killing all of them, she stops their toxic shitty backwards culture and enlightens them? Yeah man, real fucking bad. Definitely worse than anything the Horde did. This is portrayed unironically though. That this IS worse than the bad things the Horde did because they say "oh man we were totally wrong, my bad" when they lose a fucking war of annihilation multiple times, build up their strength and do it again. It's all so tiresome.

The greatest irony is they really could have taken this as the actually morally grey plotline though where maybe the Light does shady shit to get what it wants and the odd person starts bullshitting or going too far here and there. The thing is that they just don't and them doing upright honest openly good things is just portrayed as not only bad and evil or even AS bad or AS evil as anything the Void, Legion or Horde do but straight up worse. I've pointed it out many many times but Illidan gets a pass. The Horde get a pass. The Scarlet Crusade never does though. The Death Knights and Forsaken kill everyone in Lordaeron and it's like "lol it's k" but the Scarlet Crusade recruit them to STOP the Scourge and Forsaken? LOL NO WAY THAT'S TOO FUCKING FAR. Again, this is unironically portrayed in the game and it's fucking weak.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Hopefully not. We really need to be moving away from the idea that there needs to be a "Next Garrosh" at all.

Turalyon taking power and maybe making decisions others don't agree with is, in theory, not a bad plot development. But it needs to be something more complex than "It's the Alliance's turn to create a genocidal maniac and we've picked Turalyon for some reason".

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    How many times do they need to redo the Garrosh story?

The day they force Alliance to be the bad guys is the day Christie Golden and her lot pop an aneurysm.

Yrel will be the Light Crusader. Turalyon is nothing but a choir boy compared to her. Mr. "I love The Light but my wife ate the heart of a Void Lord with some fava beans and a nice chianti." Mr. "Illidan just killed my God, but I'm just going to sneer like a chump cause he's too strong." He couldn't pop a grape in a food fight anymore than he could man up to instill his will and zealotry over The Alliance to carry out his ideals. Better men than him (of The Scarlet Crusade) have tried.

I think there's ways of making zealous, morally questionable characters without retreading the same ground a third time. I'd like to see them do something like that - but not "the next X." Let's have the first Turalyon?

The Alliance does not have a leader. Turalyon was appointed as regent of Stormwind in Anduin's absence. It is impossible for him to abuse the same authority Garrosh did because he simply does not have it.

So, no. He's not the next Garrosh.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    Turalyon is more likely to be manipulated by the Light but stay true to his morals when confronted with the truth. he's already been shown to accept that the Light isn't always Right and to trust those who use the Void (and not just his wife either) even if he is wary of it

truth is often an excellent weapon in deception and any convincing lie has seeds of truth making it believable

I'd call the whole Dark Naruu thing in Sunwell something of a hint to the possibility, not to mention the fact that the Scarlet Crusade continued to be able to wield the Light despite their atrocities
    Truth is fine and all but only when interspersed with lies. It also begs the question of seeing literally everything that will happen in the future but apparently not seeing your own defeat. The main issue being that no lore characters mention the whispers and thus they won't be swayed by lies or truths because they aren't an in game thing. They are whispered only for us players on forums to post about and that's a mistake. It would be cool to have characters actually react to the whispers and start doubting each other.

The dark Naaru are void in nature. They aren't evil light Naaru (They were trying for Dualism but didn't really flesh it out much). I get the Scarlet point but outside of that there is nothing to indicate the Lights moral greyness until they decided Illidan needed to look bad ass. It's still contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    The day they force Alliance to be the bad guys is the day Christie Golden and her lot pop an aneurysm.
    Didn't they kind of do that with the Naaru (forgot the name of it) and Illadin back on Argus?

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    The Alliance does not have a leader. Turalyon was appointed as regent of Stormwind in Anduin's absence. It is impossible for him to abuse the same authority Garrosh did because he simply does not have it.

So, no. He's not the next Garrosh.
    Unfortunately, it will just be a case of everyone following Turalyon because he's an old and wise Alliance hero. Plus they will DEFINITELY make the lightforged his personal hit squad. I dislike the idea wholely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    I'm an Alliance player and I just dislike any of the factions being inherently evil. Im fine with evil people coming from either faction but why does it have to be a whole faction thrown into the mix. The Horde are misunderstood outcasts that yearned for a home where they belonged. The Alliance was form from Xenophobic races who learned to trust in unity to bring them strength and rid themselves of the past grudges. I like those archetypes and wish they'd go back to a more simpler story.

We had plenty of bad guys and villains as did the horde but we never let it define the faction as the modern stories do. It really sucks. I find it funny that I truly miss Metzen. He may not have been a perfect storyteller but the guy knew balance and how to tell some nice High Fantasy stories. He's also just generally an awesome guy who brought an energy to the community no one has since.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    So apparently he's the new leader of the Alliance. In 8.3 we got this goodie from the Rumor Tumor:

The golden one claims a vacant throne. The crown of light will bring only darkness.

Could Turalyon be the next Garrosh by forcing the Light on everyone?
    IDK; the biggest hiccup to this is Alleria's role in Turalyon's life; he's far more nuanced than just being a light zealot, he understands a lot more of the balance the world needs, he's more interesting than that.

I do think something messy will happen, but I don't think it will be him just going full light inquisition of his own volition, cause so far he comes across as far more balanced, even if ruthless, thank's to Alleria.

So unless that changes, I don't see it happening that way. But hey, he can always end up being MC'd by Xe'ra