10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Believe they can't anymore. The "faithless" electors aren't a thing anymore, I believe. https://www.npr.org/2020/07/06/88516...constitutional
    That is a big sigh of relief. This is just decided recently and doesn't apply to every state.

Just another argument for the Popular Vote.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2020-09-23 at 10:00 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Believe they can't anymore. The "faithless" electors aren't a thing anymore, I believe. https://www.npr.org/2020/07/06/88516...constitutional
    "Thirty-two states have some sort sort of faithless elector law, but only 15 of those remove, penalize or simply cancel the votes of the errant electors. The 15 are Michigan, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Indiana, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, Washington, California, New Mexico, South Carolina, Oklahoma and North Carolina."

Unfortunately only AZ, SC, and MI are kinda relevant. The main states we're looking at needing don't have adequate protections. The ruling only affirms that the states that do have the laws can enforce them. States that don't have the laws in place would need another court ruling I believe, to determine if the SC ruling applies.
    Last edited by Nurasu; 2020-09-23 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    "Thirty-two states have some sort sort of faithless elector law, but only 15 of those remove, penalize or simply cancel the votes of the errant electors. The 15 are Michigan, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Indiana, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, Washington, California, New Mexico, South Carolina, Oklahoma and North Carolina."

Unfortunately only AZ, SC, and MI are kinda relevant. The main states we're looking at needing don't have adequate protections. The ruling only affirms that the states that do have the laws can enforce them.
    Well, that is disheartening, but maybe if some Republicans against Trump get to be those "electors", and vote against their states decisions. Either that will spur them to adopt the same laws, or maybe force people into pushing for getting rid of the shitty EC altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    I mean I no doubt believe he would try. But if electors went against the popular vote within their state, they would become enemy combatants as well as anyone still supporting Trump at that point.
    Well, 2016 had 7 faithles electors. OF which, suprisingly most (5) were from states won by Hillary Clinton. Which was a record for over 100 years. Also we are obviously not counting 1872 election, where the Electors were unable to vote Greely, because he died, before the vote was cast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Well, 2016 had 7 faithles electors. OF which, suprisingly most (5) were from states won by Hillary Clinton. Which was a record for over 100 years. Also we are obviously not counting 1872 election, where the Electors were unable to vote Greely, because he died, before the vote was cast.
    It wasn't okay to try then and it won't be okay in November.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    It wasn't okay to try then and it won't be okay in November.
    True, having a faithless elector decide the election would be outrageous, or some scumback dumbfuckery like the election 1876, between Hayes and Tilden, where the Republicans kind of bought the favor of 20 Electorates, in exchange for easier treatment towards rebel states. Not going to lie, Tilden as president would be terrible, but the way that Hayes became president... well, let's just say wasn't the most cleanest action. After all, Tilden won the Popular Vote by 3%, which is an even higher margin than Clinton vs Trump, and got snatched by a single electoral vote.
    The Republicans conceeded an awful lot to the rebels, and particulary the 5th point "The right to deal with blacks without northern interference."... Just how about NO?!

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    apparently if trump loses he will have republican legislators dictate the electoral votes go to him instead of the popular vote winner in that state
    if you thought the electoral college was bad because of 2016, just wait til it turns out you can win the popular vote in the swing states and still lose,
    and he gets a republican majority on the court, so theres literally nothing we can do. permanent gop rule
    I'm glad the Belarus election happened already so we got a preview of our election and the aftermath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I swear every time I see clips of a Trump rally or some event where he's spewing his usual garbage I always think of that scene, "So this is how democracy dies, with thunderous applause".
    No one predicted it would be this stupid... US is not a struggling nation with intolerable strife... especially people like Trump. We have a populist movement, pushed by a NYC billionaire oligarch. Something so backwards, was never predicted...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No one predicted it would be this stupid... US is not a struggling nation with intolerable strife... especially people like Trump. We have a populist movement, pushed by a NYC billionaire oligarch. Something so backwards, was never predicted...
    See, the seeds of this have been around since the Clinton Admin, and began germinating during Obama's tenure when the Reactionary Tea Party movement popped up in response to the possibility of a black guy being president. Then that animosity continued to fester, as the voice of the Republican electorate shifted into just being about not being 'Liberals' and dictated electable policy amongst the GOP and finally culminated in someone 'brave' - IE: Tactless - enough to simply say the quiet parts out loud and pandered directly to the ignorant masses.

Trump could've been some hick from Kansas or a tech mogul from California and I think he would've still won with the way he had acted during the 2016 election cycle.

Trump on his message to Blacks upset with handling of Breonna Taylor case: "I love the Black community, and I've done more for the Black community with the possible exception of Abraham Lincoln."

Such a simple minded piece of garbage. Moron with his lack of intelligence can only brand himself as he had been the greatest since Lincoln. So insulting for any person to make a claim that they helped out a certain group than another person.

Won't get too deep but if also believe that setting African American slaves was the pinnacle then again just plain insulting.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

In some states the state legislature have the option to take back their right to pick the electors. Most of the battleground states have republican state legislatures due to 2010 jerrymandering. I think if that happens though the union will become irreperably broken and I am not sure what the way forward after that is.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    In some states the state legislature have the option to take back their right to pick the electors. Most of the battleground states have republican state legislatures due to 2010 jerrymandering. I think if that happens though the union will become irreperably broken and I am not sure what the way forward after that is.
    All legal mechanisms would have failed at that point. So the only way forward would be bloody or submitting to dictatorship, not exactly great options.

shots fired in louisville

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    shots fired in louisville
    With the white nationalist militia there, this was inevitable.

someone blasting cops

I would be unsurprised if this is the boogaloo boys trying to start stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    I would be unsurprised if this is the boogaloo boys trying to start stuff.
    i only saw 3 percenters not boog so far, and most boog are very anti cop. they talk about Breonna Taylor and Duncan lemp in the same sentence etc.

be suprised if not just some pissed off guy have a few potshots at cops. it sounds like a handgun in the clips.

- - - Updated - - -

hopefully they catch the person who shot those cops quickly and charge them with wanton endangerment

41,616 new cases, a little over 1k more than last Wednesday.

Texas: 4,372 new cases; 130 deaths
    California: 3,230 new cases; 118 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Illinois: 1,848 new cases; 22 deaths
    Wisconsin: 1,762 new cases; 8 deaths
    Tennessee: 1,561 new cases; 14 deaths
    Georgia: 1,457 new cases; 96 deaths
    Missouri: 1,428 new cases; 58 deaths (new record)
    Kansas: 1,300 new cases; 7 deaths
    Oklahoma: 1,089 new cases; 8 deaths
    Iowa: 1,053 new cases; 8 deaths

The Midwest continues to be a dumpster fire. Humorously, Governor Kristi Noem of South Dakota posted a video in which she seems to mock the idea of social distancing while shooting a duck (pheasant?) in flight, stating "Less COVID; more hunting." The "funny" part of this is that she's posting this on the day her state reports a record total of new cases. The positivity there is north of 15% and climbing so, you know, good luck. Also it rings rather hollow to mock social distancing when your state ranks 46th in terms of both population and population density. Makes things a bit easier when you've a good chance of being a half mile from your nearest neighbor. Honestly the fact that the numbers are climbing as much as they are in states that are essentially a bunch of pastures strung together either speaks to the lack of care they're taking or the insidious nature of the virus. Or both.

1,112 deaths is also up from last week by a fair bit, bringing the total to 206,593. This is in part due to Florida posting another 200+ deaths.

In related news:

Pence said it's okay to hold packed rallies during the pandemic because it's an election year.
    Fauci enjoys beating Rand Paul over the head with facts.
    Missouri Governor Mike Parson--who regularly opposed masks--tests positive for COVID-19...along with his wife.

Stay safe, folks.

EDIT: OH! I forgot to mention that the US finally passed 100 million tests today. Neat, huh? Unfortunately the experts still say that we need to be doing 200 million EVERY MONTH to effectively combat COVID-19. If we manage to get through this TRUMP SHITSHOW with Biden getting elected and Trump thrown out on his fat ass then maybe we could start ramping up testing in the beginning of next year, but by the time it reached the levels needed the vaccine ought to be ready soonish. The way things are now it wouldn't surprise me if we see 300k dead before inauguration day.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-09-24 at 02:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Texas: 4,372 new cases; 130 deaths
    California: 3,230 new cases; 118 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Illinois: 1,848 new cases; 22 deaths
    Wisconsin: 1,762 new cases; 8 deaths
    Tennessee: 1,561 new cases; 14 deaths
    Georgia: 1,457 new cases; 96 deaths
    Missouri: 1,428 new cases; 58 deaths (new record)
    Kansas: 1,300 new cases; 7 deaths
    Oklahoma: 1,089 new cases; 8 deaths
    Iowa: 1,053 new cases; 8 deaths
    Holly shit... NY is out of the top 10! Good for them... nice! I might finally get to fly in to see my folks... “soon”...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    There won't be a civil war, for the simple reason that there won't be anyone to truly fight it. Billy Joe from Bumfuck, Mississippi isn't going to fight for anything, regardless of how much he complains on Facebook about Democrats. The average CiViL wAr saber-rattler is a coward hiding behind what their idealized view of what "power" is, however when confronted they crumple like wet napkins.

Well, at least the ones that don't crumble from Diabetes or Cholesterol related complications.

Oh don't get me wrong, there'd be some Wingnut terrorism, but that's no different than right now, and they're too few and far in between to cause any real sustained damage.
    I wasn't talking about Yall-Queda raising up if their cult leader wasn't elected. I have them for family and I know a lot of them will turn into terrorists if Biden becomes president.

I was talking about if Biden wins by the popular vote going into the electoral college and then the governors turn them into faithless electors who defy their states to elect Trump anyways. THAT will lead to violence and if it didn't, then we have just emboldened them further and they will push the envelope even further again because we have proven we won't do anything and this nation is effectively lost.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.