Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Will there be less item level inflation in Shadowlands?

So with there only being a 13 item level gap between raid difficulties in shadowlands (down from 15) and with titanforging no longer being a thing, will we see much less power creep than the previous few expansions or will all of the borrowed power sources that we're getting from covenants and legendaries off-set this entire change?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Overcharg3 View Post
    So with there only being a 13 item level gap between raid difficulties in shadowlands (down from 15) and with titanforging no longer being a thing, will we see much less power creep than the previous few expansions or will all of the borrowed power sources that we're getting from covenants and legendaries off-set this entire change?
    if anything theyre going to double down on borrowed power and give us essences and corruption 2.0. BUT with a new and interesting name

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    if anything theyre going to double down on borrowed power and give us essences and corruption 2.0. BUT with a new and interesting name
    nothing quite like speculation based on absolutely nothing

- - - Updated - - -

in terms of ilvl power creep we will have to see when the second raid comes out I guess. standard for the last 2 expansions has been tier 1 mythic becomes tier 2 normal.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    nothing quite like speculation based on absolutely nothing
    ... the entire premise of the thread is speculation edgelord.

Hopefully there will be less inflation. And hopefully your gear will no be completely garbage everytime a new tier comes out.

tbh... Not really...

The increase is primarily because of the freaking 4 difficulties.

Put normal into LFR. Make bosses queable seperatly. More is not removable sadly.
    It would lobby for deleteing everything but mythic.
    Make progression difficult again.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    The increase is primarily because of the freaking 4 difficulties.
    Repeating it won't make it true. If you remove a difficulty, you'll still get the exact same iLvl jump per tier. At most, the last tier will be 13 iLvl lower, other than that, you're not achieving anything.

Make progression difficult again.
    Progression never was difficult until the introduction of multiple difficulty levels in the first place, as Classic has abundantly shown.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    It's called Soulbinds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Of course not. 223 in 9.0, 300 9.1, 400 9.2, 500 in 9.2, item squish in 10.0.

This is blizzard and 2020. If item doesn't has 50% stat increase, there's no point in playing.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Repeating it won't make it true. If you remove a difficulty, you'll still get the exact same iLvl jump per tier. At most, the last tier will be 13 iLvl lower, other than that, you're not achieving anything.

Progression never was difficult until the introduction of multiple difficulty levels in the first place, as Classic has abundantly shown.
    Why doesn't it make it true? Less iLVL jumps in the patch less iLvL at the end of the expansion.

Don't get me wrong i don't really care either way. For me they could squish us every expansion because they are just numbers and in lore we don't really get stronger from expansion to expansion.

Progress in Vanilla was difficult at the time. That it won't be the second time around was quite clear to most before it even released.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Of course not. 223 in 9.0, 300 9.1, 400 9.2, 500 in 9.2, item squish in 10.0.

This is blizzard and 2020. If item doesn't has 50% stat increase, there's no point in playing.
    I mean, it's not like the old system of "this trinket from two raids ago is still BiS" was any better. Heck there were some instances where trinkets from previous EXPANSIONS were BiS. That's fucked up for all sorts of reasons.

Every raid tier being a soft reset is a fine model of design imo.

I really hope so. Not only item levels but also just numbers in general. The difference between Uldir and Nyalotha numbers is absolutely absurd. Item level went up by 100ish and DPS numbers went up by a factor of about 7. It's no wonder they have to do a squish every other expansion now. If things kept going as they were we'd be doing a million DPS again by the end of Shadowlands.

Why doesn't it make it true? Less iLVL jumps in the patch less iLvL at the end of the expansion.
    Because that would require reducing the number of tiers, not difficulties. With two difficulties you'd still see the same iLvl increase per tier.

Progress in Vanilla was not difficult. The encounters were an utter joke when they weren't bugged. What was difficult was getting 40 competent people.

Hah, noooo.

If anything because the ilvl is going down, the ilvl % gap will be even bigger than before.

I'm honestly down for higher difficulty raids just having more chance to drop items, or more chance to drop them with sockets already in place so I don't have to farm for the crappy currency, rather than a straight up ilvl increase.

If having better gear than plebs is what keeps you raiding, then you're not a raider.

Same level of inflation but larger and larger gaps from grinded borrow power mechanics.

Don't get me wrong i don't really care either way. For me they could squish us every expansion because they are just numbers and in lore we don't really get stronger from expansion to expansion.

Progress in Vanilla was difficult at the time. That it won't be the second time around was quite clear to most before it even released.
    While I think there should be less difficulties at the end of the day the power creep issue is because blizzard continues to make lower difficulties of the new raid have significantly higher ilvls than higher difficulties of the old raid.

There's no reason that normal mode nyalotha needed to drop the same ilvl as mythic eternal palace. There's a massive 30 ilvl gap between mythic eternal palace loot and mythic nyalotha loot. Why? 15-20 would've been more than enough, 30's excessive.

If they want say... heroic of raid 2 to still drop upgrades for mythic players who are fully geared from raid 1 (and the same for raiders of each lower difficulty) they could just bump it by 5 ilvls above the previous mythic. So in the case of eternal palace to nyalotha it could've gone 445 mythic eternal to 450 for heroic nyalotha, and then mythic nyalotha drops 460's or 465's.

That's 10-15 ilvls of power creep gone without really changing anything about the game.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

I think the real problem with the big leaps is how differently the game plays throughout the expansion.
    At the start you are basically a noob again with no good stars. By the end you are god mode.
    So it can be really frustrating to play x.0 and x.1, as even with ‘good gear’ your character doesn’t feel like they did in the old expansion.

Also Blizzard really shoot themselves in the foot. I don’t have all the answers. But so much dev and art time goes into a raid tier. It’s a lot of dev time invested into something that will only be active for a short period of time and never be current again.
    They rest need to find a use for old raid tiers within the same expansion cycles. It is the biggest flaw in the current system, and so much wasted content. There must be an answer.
    And no, I’m not trying to get people to ‘need’ to raid every raid every week. But old raids should serve a purpose. They found a solution for dungeons with M+ which was amazing, as old expansions had useless dungeons once raids came out. Now they need to find a purpose for old raid tiers when a new one comes out.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnosh View Post
    It's called Soulbinds.
    no i mean beyond that.. later in the expansion you know

Quote Originally Posted by Peacemoon View Post
    I think the real problem with the big leaps is how differently the game plays throughout the expansion.
    At the start you are basically a noob again with no good stars. By the end you are god mode.
    So it can be really frustrating to play x.0 and x.1, as even with ‘good gear’ your character doesn’t feel like they did in the old expansion.

Also Blizzard really shoot themselves in the foot. I don’t have all the answers. But so much dev and art time goes into a raid tier. It’s a lot of dev time invested into something that will only be active for a short period of time and never be current again.
    They rest need to find a use for old raid tiers within the same expansion cycles. It is the biggest flaw in the current system, and so much wasted content. There must be an answer.
    And no, I’m not trying to get people to ‘need’ to raid every raid every week. But old raids should serve a purpose. They found a solution for dungeons with M+ which was amazing, as old expansions had useless dungeons once raids came out. Now they need to find a purpose for old raid tiers when a new one comes out.
    They solved this in Legion by frontloading secondary stats. You could go into EN-M with 25%+ haste on a tank or 50% crit on a fire mage & it felt fantastic right from the start. I've no idea why they went back on that entirely with the BfA launch.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The inflation is baked into having 4 different difficulties and also 4 tiers in an expansion.

Until one of those facts change (spoiler: It'd be difficulties) the inflation rate won't drop.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)