Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    I don't know if it has ever not been. Even if there is supply, you are effectively beta testing the drivers the first few months of each new architecture.
    Yeah. I hope that in 3-4 months the situation normalizes. That ASUS TUF card is sexy (even if Strix looks good and has an objectively better cooler being that beefy. But 3 8pin? NOPE).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmocfd1b0ab5a3 View Post
    lol

In what universe most people have 700$+ graphic card.

Last time I checked 2080, 2080s and 2080 ti had 5.5% proportion combined in steam survey.
    Yea and everyone takes the steam survey....

Plus the performance jump is just huge with the 3000 series, so many who held of on the 2000 series cards might just decide to take the upgrade now with the 3000 series since the jump is even greater the further you go down to the older cards. I am not saying everyone alive will buy the cards or even everyone that takes the steam survey as you suggested I said, I am speaking of the people that do decide to take the upgrade and are not willing to wait.

Just to clarify before you jump to any other conclusions, since it seems that is what you do best.... The 3070ti will probably launch same time as the 3060 so there is cheaper options with what I expect to have a big increase for those who want it, so again the probability of getting a 3070ti will be much higher then getting a 3080. Maybe next time try to understand the context in which a post was made before you jump on your high horse and totally miss the point that was made.

Quote Originally Posted by GoKs View Post
    Plus the performance jump is just huge with the 3000 series
    Perf. per Dollar is huge. Comparing to Turing. But Turing was a regression in Perf per Dollar almost. Also in pure performance GA102 is what 20% faster than TU102 at the same power.

Don't get me wrong it's good that they put the prices down. But we are already seeing those prices aren't holding. So it's really nothing to write home about atm. Maybe in a few months the situation will be different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perf. per Dollar is huge. Comparing to Turing. But Turing was a regression in Perf per Dollar almost. Also in pure performance GA102 is what 20% faster than TU102 at the same power.

Don't get me wrong it's good that they put the prices down. But we are already seeing those prices aren't holding. So it's really nothing to write home about atm. Maybe in a few months the situation will be different.
    Hence the wait and see, we also dont know what radeon will bring at what price point so that will also have an effect on the pricing going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Not good at all. I'll wait to see more about this, but i honestly was going to undervolt the card anyway XD GN did a couple OC streams and didn't have this issue, but they could have been binned cards for what we know.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, with 3070/ti many people will settle for that and 3080 while being less produced will be less requested overall. Basically, waiting is just the best bet right now.
    OC on LN2 is not representative of what folks will be seeing.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2020-09-24 at 01:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    3090 reviews are out. Not gonna paste a bunch of reviews, but TLDR it's somewhere between 5-10% better than a 3080 at 1440p, and ~30% better at 4k, where it isn't limited as much by CPUs.
    If you want to do production workloads, look into specifics, it depends heavily on what specifically you do

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    and ~30% better at 4k, where it isn't limited as much by CPUs.
    In what world is the 3090 30% faster than a 3080 at 4k? Most reviews has it at 10-15%-ish, with some games at 20%-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    In what world is the 3090 30% faster than a 3080 at 4k? Most reviews has it at 10-15%-ish, with some games at 20%-ish.
    It's like 30% better than a 2080 TI OC at 4k... So no world.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2020-09-24 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    OC on LN2 is not representative of what folks will be seeing.
    Of course it isn't, but if the problem was going past 2000MHz, it would be a problem independently from the cooling method. Until there's something else going i don't really know (but i know that gains are really small and non linear, so maybe it's in fact LN2 given the tremendous cooling power).

I'm really curious about how this thing is going, because the card is a powerhouse but if it's not stable, it's not a good recommendation anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Of course it isn't, but if the problem was going past 2000MHz, it would be a problem independently from the cooling method. Until there's something else going i don't really know (but i know that gains are really small and non linear, so maybe it's in fact LN2 given the tremendous cooling power).

I'm really curious about how this thing is going, because the card is a powerhouse but if it's not stable, it's not a good recommendation anymore.
    It probably just is the limit of the silicon. Using LN lets you push more voltage at the same current. While going hotter means less voltage at the same current. So it's probably just the card getting hot and they've pushed the pre OC on it just that tad bit too far for the silicon quality. And hence why undervolting is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    If you want to do production workloads, look into specifics, it depends heavily on what specifically you do
    With LTT production benchmarks in mind, a TITAN is still 2000% (twothousand) better as the 3090 in certain production benchmarks (driver/deactivated features on the 3090), so the 3090 is more a "bad" 2080-Ti successor and much less a TITAN card.

In some benchmarks the overclocked ASUS TUF 3080 even overtook the stock 3090, thats just sad at this point.
    The 2kg heavy FE 3090 is just sad. Its above 40 db(a) loud after 20min load (Igors Lab numbers) and basicly 10 db(a) louder as the ASUS TUF 3080 with quiet bios.

If the 2080-Ti above the 2080 was the wasteful choice, the 3090 above the 3080 is now basicly the stupid choice. 670W peak loads (Igors Lab 1ms load) for basicly nothing in games and no real ussage for production, because its driver/feature castrated by NVIDIA.
    -

It probably just is the limit of the silicon. Using LN lets you push more voltage at the same current. While going hotter means less voltage at the same current. So it's probably just the card getting hot and they've pushed the pre OC on it just that tad bit too far for the silicon quality. And hence why undervolting is working.
    Makes sense. Oh well it's going to be a big upgrade from my 1080ti anyway, so running stock and undervolting may be what i'm gonna do. Great performance for even less noise and better temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The problem is from power delivery. Linked article explains it and there are multiple videos on it. I’d stick to z
    ASUS though as their power is the most robust out there currently. Strix is coming next week.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/272591/r...pacitor-choice
    They followed Nvidia's reference design... Which Nvidia didn't even use.
    https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-real...0-andrtx-3090/

glad its capacitators and not drivers tbh
    just get an Asus or EVGA FTW3 then

Plus the Super/20GB models should ship without this issue

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    glad its capacitators and not drivers tbh
    just get an Asus or EVGA FTW3 then

Plus the Super/20GB models should ship without this issue
    Hard disagree. Drivers can eventually be fixed. Bad capacitor configurations cannot.

Next gen? I bought my current video card in 2015. I'm not even ready for last gen.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    It's like 30% better than a 2080 TI OC at 4k... So no world.
    Ah yeah, I misread the graphs I was looking at

Hard disagree. Drivers can eventually be fixed. Bad capacitor configurations cannot.
    they already were/are being fixed

10+ Year Old Account
    Before everyone sticks with the "it's only a problem with the capacitors" as an absolute truth:

No, it's not just capacitors. It could possibly be a contributing factor to the crashing, but there's also reports of crashing on Nvidia FE models and AIB models which use the "correct" capacitor setup. So as of right now the cause is still unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The problem is from power delivery. Linked article explains it and there are multiple videos on it. I’d stick to z
    ASUS though as their power is the most robust out there currently. Strix is coming next week.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/272591/r...pacitor-choice
    yeah, i have seen that. apparently only Colorful went straight and said something about the issue.

some brands went straight cheaping out and now they're unstable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    they already were/are being fixed
    yeah. with a bios/fw update that will just cut the max boost.

fun thing, the cards are guaranteed to to run at 1710mhz, the boost is not part of the deal. if they cut the boost they'll still be compliant to the specifics and customers can't do anything about it.