View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Jesus. Fucking. Wept.

An internal border between Kent and the rest of the UK.

#TakingBackControl

I'm trying desperately not to get so wound up by this stuff anymore but... bloody hell. It's enough to make one gouge one's eyes out.
    @dribbles - put a positive spin on this for me, please.
    I don't know I favor cordoning off Kent on general principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Boris Johnson could probably convince those that were gullible enough to believe his lies that the eu mandated hairnets for fishermen to believe the eu demanded it
    Hairnets for fishermen? First time I heard about that, lol.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Hairnets for fishermen? First time I heard about that, lol.
    For example mentioned here:

He was the first journalist to paint the EU as a nest of sinister bureaucrats overseen by bombastic Germans, cunning Frenchmen and oily Italians who outmanoeuvred the limp-wristed Brits. His tales of the EU punishing the rubber industry for making undersized condoms or ordering the straightening of bananas, or insisting on fishermen wearing hairnets were not always entirely accurate, but they had an enormous impact. British eurosceptics said that the articles inspired them to break with the Conservative Party and found UKIP. The Foreign Office set up a special unit to respond to Johnson’s critiques. In May 1992, as Danes were preparing to ratify the Maastricht Treaty, Johnson ran a puffed-up story under the headline “Delors Plan to Rule Europe”. It claimed that the then President of the European Commission, Jacques Delors, intended to scrap the rotation of the EU presidency between countries and assert central control. Danish eurosceptics translated the article and used it in a successful last-minute propaganda effort to persuade Danes to vote the treaty down.
    It was back in 1992ish

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Jesus. Fucking. Wept.

An internal border between Kent and the rest of the UK.

#TakingBackControl

I'm trying desperately not to get so wound up by this stuff anymore but... bloody hell. It's enough to make one gouge one's eyes out.
    @dribbles - put a positive spin on this for me, please.
    The ability to step up security and take back control of our borders in Kent against an increasingly aggressive foreign power is just common sense isn't it?

Don't worry, Douanes won't be saying papers please to you at Dartford Tunnel.

The English land bridge through Kent is critical for the EU to reach and control its Irish colony. Our ability to close that bridge down to any foreign traffic should we choose from January just as much so.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The ability to step up security and take back control of our borders in Kent against an increasingly aggressive foreign power is just common sense isn't it?

Don't worry, Douanes won't be saying papers please to you at Dartford Tunnel.

The English land bridge through Kent is critical for the EU to reach and control its Irish colony. Our ability to close that bridge down to any foreign traffic should we choose from January just as much so.
    I thought that british humour was supposed to be funny.

This is a parody, right?

I mean, it should be obvious that he was making a joke. But since you're so insistent about that, the QE only got "operational" like two months ago. I wouldn't brag too much about it, yet. It's first operational deployment is planned for 2021, so right now it's "operational" in/near its home port.
    They just build two large carriers and are doing shakedown cruises, it is by default a lot to brag about, IMHO. Only other countries doing that are USA and China (De Gaul is not exactly fresh anymore, so no France).
    Of course, there was a moment when all they had was a helicopter carrier, and there have been constant issues with budget cuts for new ships, but alas...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    I thought that british humour was supposed to be funny.

This is a parody, right?
    Psst, I'm confused, is Kent no longer part of the UK? What is he on about?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly, going back to how things were during the Heptarchy before the 10th century is now a brexiteer goal.

Only way calling Westminster an increasingly aggressive foreign power makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dan Olson explains it thusly:

"The reason they aren't more bothered by [the conspiracy source] constantly getting things wrong, why they aren't more bothered by the extreme inconsistencies and outright contradictions, by the claims that are just materially wrong, is because it gives them power over others who are bound by something as weak and flimsy as reality. They claim to be against corruption while hanging their hopes on an openly corrupt man, and that naked hypocrisy is the point. They will effortlessly carve out an exception because it makes them exceptional. They engage in wild hypocrisy as an act of domination, adhering to something demonstrably untrue out of spite, because they believe that power belongs to those strong enough with the will to take it, and what greater sign of will than the ability to override truth?"

Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

But what is the purpose of this? Nobody asked for that. It has nothing to do with the negotiations or the EU. I am genuinely puzzled as to what he thinks he can accomplish with that.
    The best explanation I could see is:

You need a special place for the customs-checking, and goods shouldn't be allowed to randomly that area. And they lack the personnel, which means that after some time (perhaps two days) the lorries will fill up the highway in Kent and thus that is part of the customs-checking queue area.

However, as anyone should understand: that does not solve any problem.

Lack of staff in a supermarket isn't solved by having a longer queue - unless it indirectly causes people to not use it. The only real solution is more staff.
    A queue is only useful to handle variations in demand.

The second best is:
    They expect many truck drivers to not have papers in order, and thus they will pre-check that before entering this area.

The benefit is that the pre-checkers need less training, the downside is that they will need to hire both pre-checkers and actual checkers - and there will be mistakes by the pre-checkers. Oh, and they still have the queue-problem.

7+ Year Old Account

You need a special place for the customs-checking, and goods shouldn't be allowed to randomly that area. And they lack the personnel, which means that after some time (perhaps two days) the lorries will fill up the highway in Kent and thus that is part of the customs-checking queue area.

Lack of staff in a supermarket isn't solved by having a longer queue - unless it indirectly causes people to not use it. The only real solution is more staff.

The second best is:
    They expect many truck drivers to not have papers in order, and thus they will pre-check that before entering this area.

The benefit is that the pre-checkers need less training, the downside is that they will need to hire both pre-checkers and actual checkers - and there will be mistakes by the pre-checkers. Oh, and they still have the queue-problem.
    It is a self certified traffic light system, the haulier will apply for a permit for a certain date and if there is space on that day may be given the green light to enter Kent.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

It is a self certified traffic light system, the haulier will apply for a permit for a certain date and if there is space on that day may be given the green light to enter Kent.
    Wow, Brexit really is doing a BRILLIANT job of getting rid of all that terrible EU red-tape, isn't it.

Your precious Brexit is looking more stupid by the day, and the hoops you have to jump through each day to justify it are getting more and more hilarious. If it wasn't for the Brexit idiots breaking the fucking country, I'd be enjoying this.

Kent having voted for Brexit being one of the first areas royally shafted by it does have a certain karmic quality.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

so kent checks - dover checks - calais checks = rip fresh produce and JIT

not to mention french union strikes lmao.

the tories just doing as much as they can to cause civil unrest.

The second best is:

And those pre-checks require an electronic system to be in place, a system that currently doesn't exist and that the UK is miles behind on implementing last I heard.

Meanwhile the EU's similar system is already finished.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    so kent checks - dover checks - calais checks = rip fresh produce and JIT

not to mention french union strikes lmao.

the tories just doing as much as they can to cause civil unrest.
    Just wait until the medical radioactive marker lobby starts bribing migrants in the Calais migrant camp to start riots along the highway and the UK can't do MRI's anymore to discipline the UK into being a sensible toddler again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Wow, Brexit really is doing a BRILLIANT job of getting rid of all that terrible EU red-tape, isn't it.

Your precious Brexit is looking more stupid by the day, and the hoops you have to jump through each day to justify it are getting more and more hilarious. If it wasn't for the Brexit idiots breaking the fucking country, I'd be enjoying this.

Kent having voted for Brexit being one of the first areas royally shafted by it does have a certain karmic quality.
    You say that as though Kent is an outlier in its vote for Brexit when the reality is the vast majority of counties did too.

With Sir Keir's recent clarification and collective responsibility both the Labour (262 seats) and Tory party (317 seats) are officially pro brexit. That would be 579/650 seats in the UK parliament, or almost 90%, are now pro let's get Brexit done. Only a matter of time before the Lib Dems realise the error of their ways and convert too, if there are any of them left.

You might not be enjoying this, the majority clearly are.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    = rip fresh produce
    I hear good things about porridge.

You say that as though Kent is an outlier in its vote for Brexit when the reality is the vast majority of counties did too.

With Sir Keir's recent clarification and collective responsibility both the Labour (262 seats) and Tory party (317 seats) are officially pro brexit. That would be 579/650 seats in the UK parliament, or almost 90%, are now pro let's get Brexit done. Only a matter of time before the Lib Dems realise the error of their ways and convert too, if there are any of them left.

You might not be enjoying this, the majority clearly are.
    Are you still sitting there saying "we won, get over it"? Is that really all you have left. Fucking pathetic.

Yes, you won. And now we are all seeing what your "win" looks like. So stop trying to be high and mighty about how you won and we lost, and start taking some fucking responsibility for the giant mess that has resulted.

Talking of which, more details are coming out about your first trade "win" with Japan. Not got any comment about how it's basically what we would have had if we'd stayed in the EU, but worse? Yeh, that's what I thought.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Imagine being that proud of being a failure...
    Not that failure is bad. If you learn from it, it can be quite positive.
    But being proud of failing and doubling down on it? Why? Sunken cost fallacy?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Are you still sitting there saying "we won, get over it"? Is that really all you have left. Fucking pathetic.

Yes, you won. And now we are all seeing what your "win" looks like. So stop trying to be high and mighty about how you won and we lost, and start taking some fucking responsibility for the giant mess that has resulted.

Talking of which, more details are coming out about your first trade "win" with Japan. Not got any comment about how it's basically what we would have had if we'd stayed in the EU, but worse? Yeh, that's what I thought.
    Japan again? OK then...

In 60 years the EU has never managed to negotiate a trade deal with the largest economy on the planet : the United States. It has no trade deal with the second-largest economy: China.

In that same 60 years the EU has only just managed to do a deal (still not ratified) with the world’s third-largest economy: Japan. The United Kingdom Government managed this is in just eight months since leaving the EU (in name only) on 01 February 2020.

https://www.facts4eu.org/news/2020_s..._britain_soars

That's EU failure for you right there and justification for Brexit on its own.

I bet you a tenner to a charity of your choice that the UK ratifies its deal with Japan before the EU does. Have those troublesome Walloons given their Permission to the EU/Japan deal yet? Nissan, that company that closed its Barcelona plant to invest in Sunderland, would like to know.