View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The best explanation I could see is:

You need a special place for the customs-checking, and goods shouldn't be allowed to randomly that area. And they lack the personnel, which means that after some time (perhaps two days) the lorries will fill up the highway in Kent and thus that is part of the customs-checking queue area.

However, as anyone should understand: that does not solve any problem.

Lack of staff in a supermarket isn't solved by having a longer queue - unless it indirectly causes people to not use it. The only real solution is more staff.
    A queue is only useful to handle variations in demand.

The second best is:
    They expect many truck drivers to not have papers in order, and thus they will pre-check that before entering this area.

The benefit is that the pre-checkers need less training, the downside is that they will need to hire both pre-checkers and actual checkers - and there will be mistakes by the pre-checkers. Oh, and they still have the queue-problem.
    So, essentially Kent will be turned into the biggest duty free zone on the planet?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    It is a self certified traffic light system, the haulier will apply for a permit for a certain date and if there is space on that day may be given the green light to enter Kent.
    I've yet to meet a lorry driver that operates on "may be given the green light to enter Kent." They either know they can go where they need to, or they will drive another route. Any minute the lorry isn't moving is costing them money. Don't bother responding, I'm not posting this for your benefit, I'm posting this so everyone else sees the stupidity in your post.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    So, essentially Kent will be turned into the biggest duty free zone on the planet?

- - - Updated - - -

I've yet to meet a lorry driver that operates on "may be given the green light to enter Kent." They either know they can go where they need to, or they will drive another route. Any minute the lorry isn't moving is costing them money. Don't bother responding, I'm not posting this for your benefit, I'm posting this so everyone else sees the stupidity in your post.
    Turning Kent into a giant duty free zone is actually the first good thing I've heard about brexit

Saves me going to Spain for cheap beer and cigarettes at least.

But what is the purpose of this? Nobody asked for that. It has nothing to do with the negotiations or the EU. I am genuinely puzzled as to what he thinks he can accomplish with that.
    Gove has suddenly realised that "Project Fear" is in fact a reasonable worst-case scenario with queues of 7000 trucks clogging up Kent, each one taking a few days to make their way to the continent largely due to 30-60% being sent back by the French for not having the correct paperwork. The plan is to tell the truck drives that they need to get their papers in order and apply for a pass otherwise they're not allowed to enter Kent.

Japan again? OK then...

In 60 years the EU has never managed to negotiate a trade deal with the largest economy on the planet : the United States. It has no trade deal with the second-largest economy: China.

In that same 60 years the EU has only just managed to do a deal (still not ratified) with the world’s third-largest economy: Japan. The United Kingdom Government managed this is in just eight months since leaving the EU (in name only) on 01 February 2020.

https://www.facts4eu.org/news/2020_s..._britain_soars

That's EU failure for you right there and justification for Brexit on its own.

I bet you a tenner to a charity of your choice that the UK ratifies its deal with Japan before the EU does. Have those troublesome Walloons given their Permission to the EU/Japan deal yet? Nissan, that company that closed its Barcelona plant to invest in Sunderland, would like to know.
    Considering the UK-Japan deal only allows the UK to take the scraps left by the EU, how does that work if this EU treaty does no exist according to you?
    So the UK negotiated a deal that doesn't actually do anything?

really impressive to negotiate nothing in record time. But then you had plenty of practice with Brexit
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Gove has suddenly realised that "Project Fear" is in fact a reasonable worst-case scenario with queues of 7000 trucks clogging up Kent, each one taking a few days to make their way to the continent largely due to 30-60% being sent back by the French for not having the correct paperwork. The plan is to tell the truck drives that they need to get their papers in order and apply for a pass otherwise they're not allowed to enter Kent.
    Yup and if you're delivering into kent you still need special permission to enter under this plan. Or hell passing through kent. Say from East Sussex to Essex or other areas of East Anglia.

@dribbles.

I was pondering this last night, and the whole rank hyprocisy of your position suddenly crystalised for me.

If the EU were forcing something on us that threatened peace in Ireland and the GFA agreement, would you be against it? If they introduced a law that caused our JIT businesses to be jeopardised, would you be against it? If they made a change that haemorrhaged investment from our country into the EU, woiuld you think that was a bad thing?

Of course you would. You'd rail against the evil EU for doing any of those things, because they would be damaging our country. But the irony is that the EU wouldn't do anything of the sort, because they (generally) bend over backwards to avoid anything detrimental to any member state even if it's positive for the EU as a whole.

But you're now supporting ALL of those things, and more, simply because they are being carried out as a result of your Brexit "win". You're so desparate to feel important, relevant, that you're prepared to support positions that make no sense to do so. To be in favour of things that patently damage our country to be able to thumb your nose at the EU.

I've known instinctively that your position was illogical and sad. But it wasn't until now that it's coalesced into a proper understanding of WHY. And I actually pity you now, since I can see the extent you are having to intellectually contort to continue to support it. It has got to hurt on some level. I just hope that as this whole process develops you can snap out of this trap you've built in your mind. Good luck with this.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

He also fails to acknowledge that the EU walked away from the FTA with the US due to the unfair conditions they wanted to apply. The US, at this point, must be considered a hostile and untrustworthy trade partner. A feat the UK is not too concerned about, apparently. Same with China, there are reasons why the EU doesn't commit itself to opening itself up to a hostile nation that cannot be trusted. Mostly the EU isn't desperate and they know there will be more opportunities.

Oh, also, the usual factual correction, the second largest economy is that of the EU, not China. Not that the liar cares, but I thought it might be useful for other people to know he is a liar and will make up any shit if it helps him troll this forum with impunity from the decrepit mod team.
    Last edited by Slant; 2020-09-25 at 01:32 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    In the news there's some UK pundits hating on K-pop. Is this related to Brexit in anyway?
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    In the news there's some UK pundits hating on K-pop. Is this related to Brexit in anyway?
    Might as well be. Would just about make as much sense as the rest of their bullshit fantasies...

Japan again? OK then...

In 60 years the EU has never managed to negotiate a trade deal with the largest economy on the planet : the United States. It has no trade deal with the second-largest economy: China.
    There were talks, but they stopped when the EU told the US it wouldn't let American companies have law-making (or more specifically, law-revoking) powers over its member states.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    There were talks, but they stopped when the EU told the US it wouldn't let American companies have law-making (or more specifically, law-revoking) powers over its member states.
    Hmm. Why does that sound so familiar? You would think that someone like dribbles would know about this, and approve of the EU not bowing down to the US demands, wouldn't you? Taking back control and all that. It's almost as if his "principles" revolve around whatever the Brexit crew say is bad today is bad, whatever they say is good today, is good.

He would have fitted into the world of 1984 without ever breaking sweat.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Hmm. Why does that sound so familiar? You would think that someone like dribbles would know about this, and approve of the EU not bowing down to the US demands, wouldn't you? Taking back control and all that. It's almost as if his "principles" revolve around whatever the Brexit crew say is bad today is bad, whatever they say is good today, is good.

He would have fitted into the world of 1984 without ever breaking sweat.
    It reminds me of when he bitched about the EU not doing anything to help British steel against China.

Then when told the only reason the EU was unable to do anything was because of Cameron veto he said British steel should die to China.

I saw a comment on the Guardian comment section on an article about how Kent looks set to be a lorry yard, someone is going to fly a plane over it each day on January saying "get over it, you won!". I think they voted something like 60% to leave. While it sucks for those who didn't vote for it, I can't help but hope that the person making the comment is being serious and does it. I suspect this might be something we see more of, a meme in the making, for several areas in 21.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

And the pages are fucked again...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It reminds me of when he bitched about the EU not doing anything to help British steel against China.

Then when told the only reason the EU was unable to do anything was because of Cameron veto he said British steel should die to China.
    He is rather an amusing fellow, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    People like him have caused a lot of headaches over the past 4 years, and those headaches will most likely last for decades.

It's beyond just "amusing" at this point.

He's no different than conspiracy theorists. Just another idiot that felt he could be special if he started believing in the unbelievable, and freed himself from the shackles of science, comme sense and reality. Once you go down that path the sky (or dome) is the limit to madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    He's no different than conspiracy theorists. Just another idiot that felt he could be special if he started believing in the unbelievable, and freed himself from the shackles of science, comme sense and reality. Once you go down that path the sky (or dome) is the limit to madness.
    Which is why when new people come into the thread to deal with him it's best to bring up how something he was against he suddenly becomes for depending on EU view on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    People like him have caused a lot of headaches over the past 4 years, and those headaches will most likely last for decades.

It's beyond just "amusing" at this point.
    I really don't believe (or at least don't want to believe) that anyone is truly that stupid. Yes, Brexit has caused a lot of trouble, but idiots gonna idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Yeah, and conspiracy theories are fun too

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm honestly not sure why people keep feeding him. He wants attention, that's it. No matter what you post that debunks his positions, he will never ever admit he is wrong. Talking to him is a waste of time and energy.

It's why I've about given up fact checking Trump supporters because it doesn't matter what evidence you produce that debunks their talking points they refuse to believe it.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers