Thread: Names....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oddly enough people can't even name their battle pets "Mr Bojangles".....I've tried...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I don't think the names you mentioned are busy, but rather they are unavailable entirely.
    Speaking of names, your username here is fantastic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Capultro View Post
    And when are we going to be able to choose the name we want for our character?
    right now, they are all already used by someone ...
    it is unfortunate to have to give the characters stupid names without any meaning ...

I think the best solution would be to be able to use the one we want, but in a non-visible way it would be linked to our battletag.
    It is impossible to have a rogue maiev, or a lilith demon hunter .... or a dk darion .... a brox warrior .... they are names that are always busy, I refuse to become a magician called cäpultroê

I absolutely refuse, it is stupid.
    Generally I prefer coming up original names to 'lets make a DK named ArthÁs!' There was one time that I named a character after an NPC, but eventually I decided she should have her own identity - so I changed it.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Usually blizzard does a name wipe of toons that haven’t logged in for a year or two and they give a warning that whoever wants to preserve a name must log in.

They usually do this before an expansion launch or something so keep an eye on blue posts. Obviously this does not guarantee you will get the name you want but you can only hope. Otherwise just add a special character or something and get the name you want.
    Believe if iirc name is locked for 3 expansions

No one says you have to pick a "stupid" name.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Or you are so insignificant that you need to pose as Arthas to feel better?
    yes,the name is something very important in a character.nit arthas,but if you line the rol and lore,may be you will love have arthas or maiev,naisha or varian...

Character names on accounts that have been inactive for the past two expansions automatically become eligible to be used by other characters.
    this is not enough...many people buy every new expansion,so,dont lose their nice names lvl 1...
    Last edited by Capultro; 2020-09-24 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    Believe if iirc name is locked for 3 expansions
    Character names on accounts that have been inactive for the past two expansions automatically become eligible to be used by other characters.
    (emphasis mine)

from https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/11226

Honestly I wish they'd revamp naming to a first name/last name setup so I can just have the names I want without having to jump through hoops with spelling or using weird characters. Using our bnet ID as our unique identifier would also work, but I like the rp aspects of a surname so a first & last name is the better choice to me.

I'd personally love to see surnames added to wow characters. Even if they just did a list of allowed surnames for each race, it'd still massively increase the potential name combinations available by allowing every name to be used once per surname.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    I'd personally love to see surnames added to wow characters. Even if they just did a list of allowed surnames for each race, it'd still massively increase the potential name combinations available by allowing every name to be used once per surname.
    On that note, more characters, say up to 20 and being able to use space in names would work perfectly. Like say if you really want to be Arthas (not judging:P) You can name him "Arthas DK" or " Evil Arthas" instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    What exactly do you want them to do? Strip people of their name choices which they got first just because you want them? How fucking selfish is that? You have a couple of choices: either use special ascii characters to get the name you want or use your own creativity to come up with a unique name
    ....they already do this. If youre inactive for an entire expansion, anyone can take your names.

Honestly I just want to be able to use an apostrophe. So many wow characters use them, and we just... Cant?

Surnames would solve a lot of these problems though. Make it so every character *must* have two names, and boom, everyone and their mother can have a Broxigar, but instead of Broxxigar and Broxigar and Brõxïgãr, theyd be Broxigar Lionheart, Broxigar Feldragon, and Broxigar Annihilatron.

7+ Year Old Account
    We are long overdue for the ability to use apostrophes and dashes in our character names...

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    I do think they need to purge/force renames on characters that have not logged into the game after let's just say, 3-5 years? I imagine if you've been away that long, chances are you might not come back. I really hate that we have to use ASCII characters in names anymore because so many names are taken on popular servers. On US, Thrall, Sargares(when I play alliance), literally, NONE of the names I use in other games, are able to be used there.
    What if you don't play a certain character for a few expansions, but you DO end up coming back to him/her? Would that 'free up' the name?

I really with I could get the accented 'e' out of Ahmanét, but I think the name's already taken, especially on High population places like Moon Guard and other RP servers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SynDethroc View Post
    We are long overdue for the ability to use apostrophes and dashes in our character names...
    Yes. And the ability to be able to give our characters last names. I think that would solve the problem of names being taken too
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

A level 56 orc warrior on my server has had my 'main' name for years (not my forum name), I've mailed him and offered him gold + the money to name change it to pass it up. He won't reply because he hasn't logged onto it in years. I even asked a GM if they could put the offer in to the main or at least tell me who the main is, but they couldn't/wouldn't.

It's really unfortunate, if the account was inactive then Blizzard could pass up the name, but because they're still playing on other characters I can't access it; I'm sure they wouldn't mind giving it up either if I was just able to message them.

Fucking sucks. I can come up with work-around names, sure, but the fact that I can't get my main name because a character that's not been used in potentially a decade has it is super lame. I've changed realm a few times and I always try for the name once and If I don't get it, it's whatever. But this time it's actually doable and I can't! Aggghhh.

It's possible for me to server change and get it there, but that means also moving a shit tonne of alts. On that note, are they really gonna keep faction/races changes the same price? I would imagine so, but it's a steep fucking price to pay in Shadowlands when leveling a new character takes so little time.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2020-09-25 at 01:03 AM.

I've never had an issue creating names. Sometimes use random name generator in game until something pops up that I can work with. Then will tweak it from there. Other times just creating a name using Latin, Gaelic etc. Find words that mean something for my character and combine them in some form. End up with very unique names that way.

One thing ESO did was allowed using a space two times in the name. Can really get creative when they did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Capultro View Post
    I think the best solution would be to be able to use the one we want, but in a non-visible way it would be linked to our battletag.
    It is impossible to have a rogue maiev, or a lilith demon hunter .... or a dk darion .... a brox warrior .... they are names that are always busy, I refuse to become a magician called cäpultroê

I absolutely refuse, it is stupid.
    So naming a toon that is similar to one of the lore ones is ok (but unable to because others have it), but naming one cäpultroê is terrible? Even without accents it would be a better name than naming it after a lore character or popular movie/show thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorimar View Post
    thats weird. i have multiple characters i havent touched in 5 years and they are still there with their names intact
    It goes by account now, not character. Even then your name stays until someone else takes it.

Then think of a more interesting name? Why do you have to just parrot lore figures?

Make your own character. That's what RPGs are about. Give them a wild name or try to find a cool name that's still available. Granted, I wouldn't be totally out of favor of them letting names overlap and just identifying individual players by their btags, but I don't think the current system has any big issues.

All they need to do is add surnames.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    2 or 3 I could not remember

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    As Lord Pebbleton said there are a lot of names that are simply not allowed. Famous people, gods(the real life fictional kind), famous fictionary characters, most characters from lore aswell.

That being said their database probably could use a cleaning from characters that havent been played in years. Like reset their name and make them type a new one next time they log in.
    They did that back in 2014, but said they would likely never do it again,

they said any Account that is dead, and hasnt been logged into in over a year by said deadline will have the character names reset.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.