Question The best eras to focus for equipping alts via optional reagents?

With the new optional reagent system, we can apparently turn a vast array of crafted equippable gear from prior expansions into "later game player at the end of the expansion" level gear for alts crossing over into shadowlands. I just happen to have one of almost every crafting profession on characters dating back to WOTLK who will almost certainly get used for their skills to do just that in the future, but in deciding where to focus my new 120 jewelcrafter to add to the pile, I find myself starting a debate in my head that I thought I'd ask outwardly to include others, thus this thread.

Considering ease of use, availability of components, and other personally preferred or relevant variables, which era (in this relatively new world of all the eras being their own profession bar) would you recommend a character starting a crafting empire to feed gear to an alt army with this new optional reagent system, and why? Feel free to break it up from profession to profession!

I'm likely taking my new JC to northrend because I know it well and the rest of my ancient empire of crafters date back to a time when I cared to maintain every craft, so any interdependence will be well supported. On the flipside, I think I'd recommend against legion in this discussion because of the recipe ranks system

What do you think, profession-minded and potentially altoholic veterans of WoW?

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful replies!
    Last edited by Omedon; 2020-08-29 at 05:46 PM.

You can set ilvl of gear by adding "relic of the past" or "crafters mark".

Relic of the past works with older expansion gear and maxes out at ilvl 100 / required lvl 50. They can only be added to gear from earlier expnasions.

Crafters marks can only be added to gear from Shadowlands. They start out at ilvl 100 / req lvl 50 and currently max out at ilvl 200 / req lvl 60.

So you're not gonna equip your alt army with old reagents I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    You can set ilvl of gear by adding "relic of the past" or "crafters mark".

Relic of the past works with older expansion gear and maxes out at ilvl 100 / required lvl 50. They can only be added to gear from earlier expnasions.
    To be clear, by "alts" I mean characters already 120, that will be 50, and will actually upgrade from "relic of the past" gear. I get that 1-49 new alts will gear via leveling, and don't *need* to get relic of the past gear to cross over from 50 to SL, but the "passing through from 49 to 50" ilvl from quests will not be as high as "relic of the past" gear as I understand.

How badly geared are your Alts? ;-) ilvl 400 now translates to ilvl 100 shadowlands

Just checked leatherworking: a relic of the past requires 7 of the highest skinnable leather of BC-BfA and only 5 rugged leathers from vanilla. relics of the past can be used on any standard green/blue gear from past expansions so just take a look at your AH right now and buy a bunch of the cheapest leather you find.

Non-standard gear is already set at ilvl 100/req 50. Meaning stuff like trollwoven spaulders or corehound boots. But this might be changed, because those special items do not currently have the option to add a relic of the past on beta which would deny low level chars their resistance gear if they want to run MC etc level appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    How badly geared are your Alts?
    There's a spectrum, as I have 35 of them! But I'm also thinking about future characters here!

There are plenty of old niche items that will more than likely see play with them being able to be boosted to ilvl 100. The few lost stats are made up for by the effects. Like old jewelcrafting trinkets and old blacksmithing weapons. Especially in pvp.

As to the topic, pick your class you want and what you want to do. Then aim from there. I know i'll be using engineering to try to cheese as much as i can in pvp. I've been scouring the crafting items on the ptr and using a relic to see what they upgrade to. Some of them upgrade into decent items that could end up being fun. There's an old craftable axe and on the ptr it basically has a proc that reduces your targets armor to zero for 20s.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2020-08-30 at 06:53 AM.
    I'm a thread killer.

Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    There are plenty of old niche items that will more than likely see play with them being able to be boosted to ilvl 100. The few lost stats are made up for by the effects. Like old jewelcrafting trinkets and old blacksmithing weapons. Especially in pvp.

As to the topic, pick your class you want and what you want to do. Then aim from there. I know i'll be using engineering to try to cheese as much as i can in pvp. I've been scouring the crafting items on the ptr and using a relic to see what they upgrade to. Some of them upgrade into decent items that could end up being fun. There's an old craftable axe and on the ptr it basically has a proc that reduces your targets armor to zero for 20s.
    there is a vanilla axe that procs armor debuff that apparently still works at level 60. seems pretty good.

Are there any broken mechanics on old gear which would be OP on level 50 characters?

Quote Originally Posted by dexx View Post
    Are there any broken mechanics on old gear which would be OP on level 50 characters?
    There are a couple items with up to 3 sockets which would be nice.
    There are mail gloves with only range crit, but double the amout normal crit is on other items.
    Some items have procs, but I have no idea if broken OP.
    Darkspear (a polearm) has a chance to proc 103 crit rating for party members which would be pretty huge, I'd say that's a test worth.

That said... ilvl was reduced to max 87 on all old stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are relics of the past, or the required mats to make them, a worthwhile market to go into?

I had been thinking of mining some ore for that, but not entirely sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Are relics of the past, or the required mats to make them, a worthwhile market to go into?

I had been thinking of mining some ore for that, but not entirely sure.
    There will be multiple kinds of shuffles with relics of the past V, ilvl 87 made with them can vendor for quite some gold. You'll have to research your server economy to see which has cheap mats to produce.

Also: if you insist on farming to make gold you really should farm in Shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by dexx View Post
    The whitemend and spellfire tailoring sets from BC are pretty busted. +10% and +7% spellpower set bonuses that as of now still work, 2-3 sockets on each piece, and you can wear them both together.