Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    If they used him, for example, as part of a "crusade" against the undead on Azeroth that would be one thing. But that would mean a showdown with Sylvanas. So now that Sylvanas has now gone super Saiyan and opened a gateway to the realm of the dead, that can't happen and the lore of death has been sullied. Keeping in mind the original lore of the "light" on Azeroth were as forces of good against the forces of evil as symbolized by the undead scourge.

By cheapening the lore I meant the "light" itself isn't evil or grey. It is a force of the universe and should be consistent with that.
    Same thing with death. But we have now introduced with "Shadow"Lands, the idea that these concepts and forces aren't as fixed as we thought and have "shades of grey".
    Yeah, this makes sense.

5+ Year Old Account
    Ally players have been clamouring for more "story focus" since Cata at least. Let's see how they handle the only story focus that Danuser & co. seem capable of
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Doesn't portraying it as something that can only be used for "good" also cheapen its status as a cosmic force?

World of Warcraft already had a crusade driven by the Light. The Scarlet Crusade believed all non-humans were "lesser races" that carried the plague and, given the numbers, would happily have wiped them off the face of Azeroth. Yet the Light still responded to their call, because faith and willpower are all you need to wield it, and that's been the case since Vanilla.
    Being a Light-wielding corrupt is not the same as being Light-corrupted, though.

If anything, the fact that anyone, good or (arguably) evil can use the Light, should point towards it being a neutral force, not something with a will of its own that seeks to expand and conquer.

They are definitely set up that way, and while I would in theory welcome something different (aka the horde not going full retard) for a change, doing it with such a cheap nonsense twist is just lame as well..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Or maybe too much light will tempt the void to come and attack

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Would like to see Blizzard take a crack at the Light being a bad guy personally. Xera/Illidan was interesting... would like to see it go further... and characters would differentiate from each other. Like Turalyon/Yrel may be extremists... but how would Velen or Anduin handle a scenario where being a follower of the light has to fight back against overzealous light wielders.
    Oh that one is easy. The Light is good but some people let their "darker" drives take over thinking they are doing good but really aren't.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrathius View Post
    Hopefully not. We really need to be moving away from the idea that there needs to be a "Next Garrosh" at all.

Turalyon taking power and maybe making decisions others don't agree with is, in theory, not a bad plot development. But it needs to be something more complex than "It's the Alliance's turn to create a genocidal maniac and we've picked Turalyon for some reason".
    Indeed. The Alliance having some drama and more assertive characters can be done without just hitting them with the villain bat this time around.

Besides, Turalyon's hardly a zealot, he has no problem with his wife being a Void wielder and takes all of a minute to get over Illidan lazoring his divine figure.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Turalyon being a zealous loon leading the Alliance would be great. Wasn't there some time dilation stuff applied to the Army of the Light in terms of fighting a stalemate against the Legion for thousands of years? Turalyon with his light infused, golden eyes blinded for perhaps multiple human lifetimes by his zealotry it's hard to accept he would just snap out of that after Illidan offed Xera.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    So for them to now all of a sudden in the span of 8 years make the light a corrupting force just cheapens the lore...

I wouldn't be surprised if they claim that the Nathrezim were corrupting the light from behind the scenes (which makes no sense).
    That's just silly.

You literally had Scarlet Crusade from the get go which literally had exactly that. It's not beyond reason to assume this could happen on a grander scale too.

Even besides that, I am not even sure why you think light is that selfless, ever-benevolent power? Even in second war novels that came way before those 8 years you literally have example by Turalyon where light is bargained with for questionable cause. You literally had this spelled out to you in Tides of Darkness - Warcraft novel from 2007.

This is the quote from Wowpedia summarizing that: "Doomhammer's words - "I have conquered! And so shall all our foes die, until your world belongs to us!" - brought Turalyon to a revelation. For months he had been struggling with his faith and had been unable to wield the Light like Uther and the other paladins could. He did not understand how to reconcile the notion of the Light uniting all creatures while beings as cruel and monstrous as the orcs walked the world, but Orgrim's comment reminded him that the orcs were not of his world. Turalyon reasoned that the Light only united the creatures of Azeroth and that creatures who did not belong there - like the orcs - could be struck down with impunity. Now confident in his faith, Turalyon began to shine with a brilliant glow that forced onlookers to shield their eyes."

This shows how light power can be called upon on very shaky grounds that are not necessarily are righteous. Light zealotry and oppression is not some sort of new thing in Warcraft lore, it's just that we have been more often then not sided with light one way or another against other foe, so people got a bit relaxed there.

Like all major powers - Light has its own agenda and we don't even know what it is. Might be not unlike Void, trying to reshape the universe in its own image.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Being a Light-wielding corrupt is not the same as being Light-corrupted, though.

If anything, the fact that anyone, good or (arguably) evil can use the Light, should point towards it being a neutral force, not something with a will of its own that seeks to expand and conquer.
    Yeah, that's fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Doesn't portraying it as something that can only be used for "good" also cheapen its status as a cosmic force?
    It does, yes.

Personally I find it much more intriguing when the setup is that various powers can be used for either good or evil. It makes for bland storytelling when the 'light' is always good and justified. I suspect part of the problem is a troubling amount of players envision their character or favoured heroes as themselves and refuse to admit that maybe, just maybe, they're not as righteous and flawless as they believe.

I wouldn't want a straight up copy of Garrosh's story but I think Turalyon becoming increasingly zealous would be intriguing. The Alliance could do with more internal strife and given that the Horde has had multiple leaders shift into antagonist/villain roles it's not unfair for the Alliance to have the same thing happen to at least one of its major leader figures.

No, Turalyon is not Garrosh: what he did in the Book was extreme, but nothing they didn't do in the time in the Army of Light against the legion.

What i rather think is that he might be a bit to naiive against the Scarlet Crusade and the Light: The scourge, out of control still plagues the world while we are in the shadowlands. So maybe he even invites the Scarlet Crusade into the fight against the Scourge and they even might gain some heavily advantages and even win against them.

Look at the sentence: "The crown of light only brings darkness". They never mentioned that the wearer of the crown of light will be the one who brings the darkness, but rather that the ones who gave him this crown will bring the darkness back into the world.

Don't forget Stormwind Nobles: they are quite invisible in the game, but they are actually powerful. The cost of all these wares are quite high, the wars against the Horde cost a lot of manpower and money, and they are not keen of doing it again and again with another Wrynn in Power

They hope that Turalyon will be more of an defender of the Realm rather than the big savior of the world with wars against the horde where it's not profitable. Someone who they can easier manipulate and that has less of a legitimacy than a Wrynn, so that the King has not all of it's power.

I really doesn't hope for a Garrosh 2.0: what i rather want to see is a timeskip where we fight actually against an real, powerful evil: not old gods, titans, voidlords, the universe itself.

No, what i mean is a real evil: a corrupt politican! Think of it as when you saw the Iron Horde Leaders: just less of Horde, rather than a fattened greedy bunch of nobles: Anduin comes back to Stormwind just to find out that the Nobles took it over or even destroyed all of it: i really would love to see the graves of both his Mother and father desecrated and bringing the darkness of him into the light!
    Last edited by Velerios; 2020-09-24 at 08:06 PM.

By the Light..
    they want to cut down another old man veteran. Listen Turalyon might not be no epic beard man, but he is still a vet. Can we please stop demoralizing old men? I don't mind Turalyon he is a bit boring but still maybe they should take it easy on the old timers.

Tinfoil Hat On

Blizzard unconfirmed the time skip because while we and ofc Anduin are trapped in the Shadowlands, Turalyon will be crowned as the new King due to Anduin's absence, and thereafter another couple of years, Yrel will come back and will convince Turalyon that the only way for Azeroth to have true and lasting peace is by converting everyone else to the light's will.

Alleria will be upset about Turalyon's newest partner and with the aid of the Void Elves, the Ethereals, and the knifu, she'll recruit dissidents from both factions into the Void side. Horde and Alliance will be near extinction as Stormwind and Silvermoon are already under the light's forces control, while Exodar and Thunder Bluff lean towards it.

Light/Void themed expansion.

Tinfoil Hat Off

I'm drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Or maybe too much light will tempt the void to come and attack
    That doesn't make sense. The void wants to attack this planet since before the titans came and they tried time and time again. If they had a means to do it they would have done so by now.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Didn't they kind of do that with the Naaru (forgot the name of it) and Illadin back on Argus?
    naaru isnt an aliance thing,its neutral,and illidan isnt aliance either,i mean he would support tyrande and malfurion if it came to it,but even so...hes not a bad buy,neither are naaru,they are just a bit overzealous

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I hope so purely so that we have an Alliance villain that fans can't justify away for once.

Ah who am I kidding? People will justify Turalyon going tyrant too.
    huh?what aliance has been a villain that people justified?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    Tinfoil Hat On

Blizzard unconfirmed the time skip because while we and ofc Anduin are trapped in the Shadowlands, Turalyon will be crowned as the new King due to Anduin's absence, and thereafter another couple of years, Yrel will come back and will convince Turalyon that the only way for Azeroth to have true and lasting peace is by converting everyone else to the light's will.

Alleria will be upset about Turalyon's newest partner and with the aid of the Void Elves, the Ethereals, and the knifu, she'll recruit dissidents from both factions into the Void side. Horde and Alliance will be near extinction as Stormwind and Silvermoon are already under the light's forces control, while Exodar and Thunder Bluff lean towards it.

Light/Void themed expansion.

Tinfoil Hat Off

I'm drunk.
    An actuall drunk person wouldnt able to write that������

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    "Im not crazy" is what all crazies think.
    so basicaly every normal person is crazy?facepalm

Nah the alliance doesn't create supervillains like the Horde does. More civilized, less bound to bowing their heads blindly to the leader like the Horde Sylvanas simps of Garrosh's fanboys.

Now that the legion is down having the light taking the upperhand would make sense. Cause right now, those lightforged characters are nothing like lightforged and are pretty bland like every other race.