Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    if being better is being a treacherous rat that endangers the sunwell and kisses the feet of humans for sure
    Isn't that blood elves anyway?

1) Literally destroyed the Sunwell, then their prince tries to use it is a gateway for Kil'jaeden.
    2) Betrays the Horde twice, first by defying Garrosh, then Sylvanas, thus breaking their blood oaths to the Warchief.
    3) Tries to go back to humans, only stopped by Jaina literally doing pest control in Dalaran.

Both races weren't boring in their original incarnations at all. Blizzard just fucked them up big time, with the Night Elves looking a bit better at last in BfA, which won't hold. And the Blood Elves are just High Elves with the wrong colours and on the wrong faction at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blood Elves used to be great back in TBC times. A pity they had to turn them into humans with pointy ears. Worship the light and everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graden View Post
    Blood Elves used to be great back in TBC times. A pity they had to turn them into humans with pointy ears. Worship the light and everything.
    Its really depressing when you realise that even back then blizzard couldn't keep interesting flavor for even one expansion.

What I hate about the way Blizzard handled Night Elves when they joined Alliance, is that they merged with human army (you can see them in stormwind army/colours on many occasions, in SI:7, 7th legion, explorer's league, etc. generally speaking "hit with human potential", there is even a night elf Paladin npc) but you never see humans who got "nightelfed" - human druids, sentinels, SW humans in cenarion circle and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    OP, the current writers are woke and cannot stand to write anything actually gray. Everything is shining lawful good and a mouthpiece for their politics, or pitch black evil. For example, take them thinking seriously they need to teach the playerbase that war and genocide are bad.
    Yet they went back 4 expansions to remove the word "bitch" which afaik has been used only to insult Sylvanas. And Sylvanas might aswell be one of the biggest villains after Teldrassil.

I really don't understand what they are trying to teach people here? That they shouldn't call females the word "bitch"? Cause if anything I don't doubt Blizzard themselves think this is a children's game. I understand if that's where they're coming from. Tho I wouldn't really expect WoW to teach kids anything. But maybe they feel like they have some sort of obligation because their game is so popular?

OR

It could be Danuser just not wanting any insults towards Sylvanas because hes planning to redeem the bitch and call it a day. If that happens I hope there's an outrage and that he gets replaced. Not fired, just have him do a couple of questlines for patches and put someone more competent in the Lead Narrative position.

I seriously cba for another "Rian Johnson" wannabe. With all the recent revelations he looks like a complete ass for the things he wrote on his twitter. I hate people like that. So arrogant and egotistical.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    What I hate about the way Blizzard handled Night Elves when they joined Alliance, is that they merged with human army (you can see them in stormwind army/colours on many occasions, in SI:7, 7th legion, explorer's league, etc. generally speaking "hit with human potential", there is even a night elf Paladin npc) but you never see humans who got "nightelfed" - human druids, sentinels, SW humans in cenarion circle and so on.
    Well in the final quests of the war campaign they wore their traditional armour. Wonder what's up with that. And I hope they keep up the little nods to individuality in races for the future.

The Night Elves suck mainly because they've been tamed quite a bit from their Warcraft portrayal. They were incredibly independent in Warcraft III, wanted nothing to do with outsiders, and were pretty savage. Yet all of that was pretty much abandoned in WoW. Even in this expansion when they directly go against the wishes of Anduin, they're far less vicious than they should've been.

Blood elves have had their modern dull portrayal for five or six times the length of their interesting incarnation by now. They're a lost cause.

Night elves less so since Blizzard at least seems aware of what made them interesting and give them a lot of screentime, for good or ill.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

It's like they aren't the only race available or something.

And when it comes to player stereotypes...ok? You aren't forced to play specific race configurations aside from the whole body model being rather locked in. They def. should change that.

On the flip side, wow's lore has been a bit bunk for years now, putting it mildly. Just make up your own lore about your character and go for aesthetics.

The elves in Warcraft don't have a monopoly on ruined characterization. The entire Horde has been gutted into being like the humans of the Alliance, and the non-humans of the Alliance has suffered the same thing. Blizzard goes out of its way to create new customization options for the sake of diversity, but can't be assed to write any sort of lore behind it. Essentially there is no difference in any of the races or genders and culture no longer plays a part. We are all just generic good guys vs generic villains now. So yeah, welcome to...whatever this game is now. It isn't Warcraft, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    It's like they aren't the only race available or something.
    This is a joke right? Since Cataclysm most of the other races except humans and orcs have almost never seen the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Yeah, this is what bothers me to no end. I've loved Night Elves since Warcraft 3, but seeing them in Stormwind armor is just ridiculous and kills any worldbuilding involved with the race.

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    Yeah, this is what bothers me to no end. I've loved Night Elves since Warcraft 3, but seeing them in Stormwind armor is just ridiculous and kills any worldbuilding involved with the race.
    That and glasses. Utterly disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    OP, the current writers are woke and cannot stand to write anything actually gray. Everything is shining lawful good and a mouthpiece for their politics, or pitch black evil. For example, take them thinking seriously they need to teach the playerbase that war and genocide are bad.
    well... not being an "american", but knowing of the rise of actual neo nazi groups that has been seen there (well, there has always been some everywhere also, but in smaller numbers), the systemic racism that is rampart, the kkk, which to my little knowledge of it, I'll admit, is a thing that really mostly exists there, thanks to the universe it hasn't really expanded, i think they actually see a group of people that would need to be reminded of this.
    Whether any of this groups would play wow and actually get the message instead of supporting the bad guys... well, i don't think it's a good %, if any

Having said that, i think the wow writing just didn't grow up with the audience, kind of the opposite that happened between the first trilogy of God of War and the last game, where you see a change of maturity in the story
    "There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
    — Patrick Rothfuss (The Kingkiller Chronicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Koryn123 View Post
    In that Time Skip potential post, I also had the night elves led by Maiev in Tyrande's absence, doing what Maiev wanted to do in the Stormrage novel when she wanted to kill Tyrande, take over the night elves, train all the Sentinels to be elite Watchers like herself, and wreck the Horde and reclaim all their land.
    At this point, Tyrande is more of an extremist than Maiev. We can clearly see that in the Shadows Rising novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    At this point, Tyrande is more of an extremist than Maiev. We can clearly see that in the Shadows Rising novel.
    I actually don't mind Tyrande taking active role. What I don't like is that Blizz telling us it is actually bad thing to want retribution for genocide of your people. What Is this Night Warrior powers good for then? Why does it mean vengeance had to destroy you? Night elves have every right to be unforgiving at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    This is a joke right? Since Cataclysm most of the other races except humans and orcs have almost never seen the spotlight.
    I was talking about character creation? .__.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    They left it in the middle of the war. And there was not really much of Lordaeron left to fight with them at that point. Their only real grievance was being unfairly treated by Garithos, who treated everyone that wasn't a human unfairly and was suffieciently hated for it by everyone, yet I did not see the Dwarfs leaving the Alliance to join Illidan and the Naga.

It's a going trend with the Blood Elves that they only look out for themselves and do not care at all about their allies. During MoP we have that again twice. First they help Garrosh with the Divine Bell, knowing that 1) They are betraying the Kirin Tor in the process and 2) dooming thousands of lifes. Meanwhile they already talk to the Alliance to rejoin because Garrosh is a danger to them as well.

With the Void Elves it is the same. They do not mind Void Magic, Fel Magic, Death Magic or any other kind, as long as it does not directly threaten themselves.

At best you can call them opprtunists and my point was that it is hillarious for them to call anyone else treacherous.
    middle of the war?? what war are you talking about? if it is the war against the scourge in lordaeron the reason they left the alliance is because garithos intentionally used them as cannon fodder in suicide missions and when thanks to the help of the same nagas who helped us defeat the legion we defeated a Scourge army and we save dalaran is when garithos orders the extermination of the blood elves. obviously when you are imprisoned and sentenced to death for saving your allies it is not that you betrayed anyone, it is that you were betrayed

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Night elves used to be savage women guerilla fighters.
    No they weren't? I just recently replayed WC3 and that's never been the case with nelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Isn't that blood elves anyway?

1) Literally destroyed the Sunwell, then their prince tries to use it is a gateway for Kil'jaeden.
    2) Betrays the Horde twice, first by defying Garrosh, then Sylvanas, thus breaking their blood oaths to the Warchief.
    3) Tries to go back to humans, only stopped by Jaina literally doing pest control in Dalaran.
    you're talking when kael betrayed the blood elves and attacked silvermoon right?

are you talking when the warchiefs betrayed the horde and the brave revolutionaries fought against them