Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    That and glasses. Utterly disgusting.
    Are you referring to the Night Elf in Hearthstone?

Quote Originally Posted by Graden View Post
    Blood Elves used to be great back in TBC times. A pity they had to turn them into humans with pointy ears. Worship the light and everything.
    Agreed. I think they suffered terribly as a result of being forced into the Horde, too. At this point their continued loyalty to the faction makes very little sense when they've been betrayed far more often and to a much greater degree by the Horde compared to the Alliance.

There's still some interesting elements to them, but as a fan of Elves I've noticed that they're unfortunately sidelined even though Elf related lore is a major part of the game's setting.

I know it'd never happen but at this point I'd love to see the various Elven races unite under one banner and stick two fingers up at both the Horde and the Alliance.

That and glasses. Utterly disgusting.
    Hah. It gives me hope to see I'm not the only one who despises that sort of thing. Unrelated to WoW, but it's also why I'm finding FFXIV to feel increasingly 'tacky' - far too many 'modern' fashion items being thrown at characters to the point it just feels uncanny. Especially on non-human races.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    No they weren't? I just recently replayed WC3 and that's never been the case with nelves.
    It used to be the case. Male night elves were the druids and the females were the warriors, huntresses and priestesses. The orcs, who had battled with humans, dwarves, high elves and draenei, were surprised by the fact that the Night Elf army was fully composed of women.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    Are you referring to the Night Elf in Hearthstone?
    Yes. But you know what I learned recently? She's actually in WoW. An abomination without hope of salvation!

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Hah. It gives me hope to see I'm not the only one who despises that sort of thing. Unrelated to WoW, but it's also why I'm finding FFXIV to feel increasingly 'tacky' - far too many 'modern' fashion items being thrown at characters to the point it just feels uncanny. Especially on non-human races.
    I'm also glad I ain't the only one. I don't mind it that much in FFXIV tbh, mostly because it seems like it always had those things, but that is it's own contained world. Like, The concept of having random spaceships appear in WoW is so much weirder to me than in FFXIV. If the next expansion is about Garlemald you're probably gonna see a lot more stuff like that.

- - - Updated - - -

It used to be the case. Male night elves were the druids and the females were the warriors, huntresses and priestesses. The orcs, who had battled with humans, dwarves, high elves and draenei, were surprised by the fact that the Night Elf army was fully composed of women.
    That is why I'll always be ok with genderlocked classes if there's a legit lore reason behind it. But of course, "tHaT iS nOt AcCePtAbLe In 2020" anymore so whatever. I think it's fun and it adds flavour. I'll always have my druids be male while the females be warriors and huntresses and priestesses.

I'm also hoping that the Demon Hunter class always stays only for Night Elves and Blood Elves.

That is why I'll always be ok with genderlocked classes if there's a legit lore reason behind it. But of course, "tHaT iS nOt AcCePtAbLe In 2020" anymore so whatever. I think it's fun and it adds flavour. I'll always have my druids be male while the females be warriors and huntresses and priestesses.

I'm also hoping that the Demon Hunter class always stays only for Night Elves and Blood Elves.
    I like to think of the player characters as being "exceptions" (ie a female night elf druid or a male warrior/priest/hunter). But NPCs should be genderlocked. It was a thing for 1000s of years and now they suddenly start changing it? Makes no sense at all.

I like to think of the player characters as being "exceptions" (ie a female night elf druid or a male warrior/priest/hunter). But NPCs should be genderlocked. It was a thing for 1000s of years and now they suddenly start changing it? Makes no sense at all.
    Yeah. Though after all this time I'm not really bothered by it much anymore.

However...

It was a thing for 1000s of years and now they suddenly start changing it? Makes no sense at all.
    Don't even get me started on that. I can surmise all of my feelings about that with just one word. Highborne. Or to be more specific, with 3 words. Night Elf Mage.

It just makes so little sense why they'd allow them back in after 10 thousand years. And in Legion, the Night Elves show aggression towards the Nightborne, even though it's more or less the same case? Pretty weird.

Don't even get me started on that. I can surmise all of my feelings about that with just one word. Highborne. Or to be more specific, with 3 words. Night Elf Mage.

It just makes so little sense why they'd allow them back in after 10 thousand years. And in Legion, the Night Elves show aggression towards the Nightborne, even though it's more or less the same case? Pretty weird.
    Wellll... I'm torn on Night Elf mages being a thing. It makes very little sense for the Night Elves to allow mages back in their society after literally 10 000 years. However, I do enjoy the Highborne "aesthetic" and Mage is my favorite class so... I'm conflicted.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know, I used to think soccer was boring based on what I saw on TV. Then I watched a live match for the first time. Now I know better.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

5+ Year Old Account
    Junkies are anything but boring.

And the night elves Druid/priestess culture is unique and far from boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Which is why void elves are objectively the best, I've been saying this for 3 years.
    And hardly anyone has ever agreed with you.

RIP

If nothing else, I do appreciate the fundamental lore they offer for major characters who have undergone extreme transformations, such as Illidan, Sylvanas, etc.

Both used to be quite interesting and filled with potential until all of it was instead replaced with Human Potential.

Blood Elves, as shown in the Cinematic trailer for BC, instantly peeked my interest.
    The ferocity and viciousness of the Night Elves was a good route to explore too.

But now we got Pretty Human Rangers&Paladins and Forest Humans.

Yes please! No please!
    Edit: It was the Wolfheart novel, not Stormrage.

Just saying what was in the novel. She thought Tyrande and Malfurion were weak, and who could blame her? Tyrande and Malfurion let the Horde rampage through Ashenvale, with Malfurion especially putting himself above it all, as though being a servant of nature immediately means no fighting orcs as soon as tauren join the Cenarion Circle. When Leyara was like "the Horde killed my child. Are you gonna do anything about it?" Malfurion was like "Don't give in to hate, Leyara." Yet in WC3, when Malfurion thought Tyrande was dead because of Illidan (on top of 3 night elf villages Illidan and his naga killed), he was ready to execute Illidan. As soon as he found out Tyrande was safe and it was just 3 villages of night elves who put their faith in Malfurion and Tyrande to protect them, suddenly Illidan was A-OK.

Maiev is the only night elf fit to lead. Malfurion and Tyrande make fine spiritual leaders, but the night elves need someone realistic to handle the reality of their situation and call the shots. Once she found out Malfurion and Tyrande were letting Illidan go in WC3:TFT, she was like "wtf he killed 3 villages of night elves and tons of my watchers, including my best friend and second in command after you guys let him go the first time in WC3:RoC, which wouldn't have happened if you hadn't let him go from prison you asked us to give up our lives to guard for 10,000 years!!"

Tyrande was like "Illidan has atoned for his crimes by saving me who wouldn't have been in danger in the first place if not for him! Screw 3 villages and your army of watchers!"

Then Malfurion was like "Hush, Tyrande. She's given in to hatred and vengeance now. If only she were more enlightened like me."

They made Maiev's life's purpose about keeping Illidan locked up. Then Tyrande not only ripped that from them, but killed them in the process. Then they let Illidan go after he became a demon. Then they let him go after he directly murdered 3 villages and the Watchers, just because his list of crimes didn't happen to include indirectly causing Tyrande's death. She's right to be angry, and it's so infuriating that Blizzard ripped that characterization away from her from the Stormrage novel by saying she was corrupted by something (they don't say what) just to have her be another boring neutral leader in Legion.
    Last edited by Koryn123; 2020-09-25 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koryn123 View Post

Tyrande was like "Illidan has atoned for his crimes by saving me who wouldn't have been in danger in the first place if not for him! Screw 3 villages and your army of watchers!"
    You know the real irony of the situation? Tyrande originally came to stop Illidan since she feels responsible for Illidan's crimes. However because he saves her, she let him go AGAIN. And the dude enslaves Outland, corrupt the Orcs and Blood Elves with fel, etc. But for some reason, Tyrande stopped feeling guilty about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Well they are elves, the most boring race in fantasy across almost all settings.
    Did you forget humans? You forgot humans

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Im more interested on how exactly did pumping generic elves full of deviantART juice made them better.
    Because it's cool and edgy?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Koryn123 View Post
    Edit: It was the Wolfheart novel, not Stormrage.

Just saying what was in the novel. She thought Tyrande and Malfurion were weak, and who could blame her? Tyrande and Malfurion let the Horde rampage through Ashenvale, with Malfurion especially putting himself above it all, as though being a servant of nature immediately means no fighting orcs as soon as tauren join the Cenarion Circle. When Leyara was like "the Horde killed my child. Are you gonna do anything about it?" Malfurion was like "Don't give in to hate, Leyara." Yet in WC3, when Malfurion thought Tyrande was dead because of Illidan (on top of 3 night elf villages Illidan and his naga killed), he was ready to execute Illidan. As soon as he found out Tyrande was safe and it was just 3 villages of night elves who put their faith in Malfurion and Tyrande to protect them, suddenly Illidan was A-OK.

Maiev is the only night elf fit to lead. Malfurion and Tyrande make fine spiritual leaders, but the night elves need someone realistic to handle the reality of their situation and call the shots. Once she found out Malfurion and Tyrande were letting Illidan go in WC3:TFT, she was like "wtf he killed 3 villages of night elves and tons of my watchers, including my best friend and second in command after you guys let him go the first time in WC3:RoC, which wouldn't have happened if you hadn't let him go from prison you asked us to give up our lives to guard for 10,000 years!!"

Then Malfurion was like "Hush, Tyrande. She's given in to hatred and vengeance now. If only she were more enlightened like me."

They made Maiev's life's purpose about keeping Illidan locked up. Then Tyrande not only ripped that from them, but killed them in the process. Then they let Illidan go after he became a demon. Then they let him go after he directly murdered 3 villages and the Watchers, just because his list of crimes didn't happen to include indirectly causing Tyrande's death. She's right to be angry, and it's so infuriating that Blizzard ripped that characterization away from her from the Stormrage novel by saying she was corrupted by something (they don't say what) just to have her be another boring neutral leader in Legion.
    But Illidan butchered those villages to stop the Legion! He sacrificed everything for that. Everything he did was for the sole purpose of beating Sargeras. All the power he sought and horded was solely for the defense of all of Azeroth. He's a good guy, really!

/sarcasm

I enjoy Illidan as a character, but people who claim he never did anything wrong are...well, they're really being very selective regarding his history. I'm pretty sure Tyrande and Malfurion really only let Illidan go because his explanation mollified them and they were really angry with Maiev's zealotry, so it was a good way to get back at her.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Blood elves used to be mana junkies doing fel, bloodthistle and forcibly bending the light to their will.
    I mean that single line of text makes belfs more interesting than 99% of all fantasy elves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    Did you forget humans? You forgot humans
    Nah, humans at least can be good in some cases (grimdark settings/settings where humans are only "traditional" race).

Elves are just a "better than humans" mary sue that comes in 3 flavors - snobby, edgy, and tree hugging. Always the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Because it's cool and edgy?
    Coldsteel the hedgehog did it better.

10+ Year Old Account
    When and how were Night Elves these fierce forest guerilla warriors? I never got that impression from WC3
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.