Page 1 of 3
LastLast

ASUS TUF OC RTX 3080 Stuttering issue

Hi , i've been experiencing stuttering issues with my 3080 where frames sometimes suddenly just drops down in the low 30's, even in 1080p gaming.
    Have tested different games : rdr2, warzone, control, Forza horizon 4, Horizon Zero Dawn etc.
    The stuttering keeps happening in several different games aswell as benchmarks.

Was wondering if anyone could help out.
    I upgraded from a RTX 2060 that didn't experience any of the same issues.

PC Setup:

Gpu: Asus TUF RTX 3080 OC edition
    Psu: Corsair Tx750m
    Cpu: i5-8600k 4,8 Ghz 1.31 v
    Memory : G Skill Trident Z 3200 Mhz 2x8 GB
    Motherboard: Asus z370-f
    Last edited by Shelz; 2020-09-26 at 10:16 AM.

Did you uninstall the old driver, reinstall the new one and enable Direct X 12 on the game you are using ?

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    850 watt PSU is recommended I belief

The weapon of my choice are great balls of fire!

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Did you uninstall the old driver, reinstall the new one and enable Direct X 12 on the game you are using ?
    Yes , i uninstalled the old drivers with ddu , then installed the new ones. Control uses DX 12 as far as i know, and the game is also stuttering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jarmale View Post
    Is this something that would cause stuttering of this scale ? I've been monitoring the power draw of the GPU and even in games where it doesnt draw much it's still stuttering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelz View Post
    Yes , i uninstalled the old drivers with ddu , then installed the new ones. Control uses DX 12 as far as i know, and the game is also stuttering.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this something that would cause stuttering of this scale ? I've been monitoring the power draw of the GPU and even in games where it doesnt draw much it's still stuttering.
    It could cause the stuttering even when the GPU is not asking for more at the moment you check the usage it could be that the CPU or an other component is asking for more lagging your GPU

pretty sure 750 is recommended, but everyone benchmarking the cards with overclocked 5.1ghz systems running things that hit both cpu and gpu havent really had the entire system pull more than 550w
    A hero of war, yeah that's what I'll be. And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me

It could cause the stuttering even when the GPU is not asking for more at the moment you check the usage it could be that the CPU or an other component is asking for more lagging your GPU
    I've seen the Gpu draw a max of 350W while monitoring , does the rest of the system eat up 400w ?
    Sorry, for my incompetence when it comes to this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomlink View Post
    pretty sure 750 is recommended, but everyone benchmarking the cards with overclocked 5.1ghz systems running things that hit both cpu and gpu havent really had the entire system pull more than 550w
    Ah good to know then I have no clue why he is having problems

Your CPU might be the bottleneck there, especially considering its age.
    Or your Motherboard is requiring a software update to handle this powerful of a card. Tutorials are easy, all you need is just an empty USB stick.

But otherwise, there have been faulty 3080 cards, I'd recommend checking the advice JayzTwoCents gives here. It's not faulty in a sense of being worthless, just faulty in a sense of material issue. It's circumventable. If your card doesn't show any signs of this, I'd maybe look into upgrading your CPU next, even though it -should- handle every game on 1080p easily.
    Be mindful though, your signs, aren't overlapping with faulty 3080 signs, so it's unlikely it's that. But I rather say it, than not, just in case.
    Last edited by LordTakeo; 2020-09-26 at 10:28 AM.

Make sure you dont enable low latency mode, given your setup is a 6 thread cpu on a 3080 using 1080p lol.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hi , i've been experiencing stuttering issues with my 3080 where frames sometimes suddenly just drops down in the low 30's, even in 1080p gaming.
    Have tested different games : rdr2, warzone, control, Forza horizon 4, Horizon Zero Dawn etc.

PC Setup:

That is properly your problem. RTX 3080 overclocked cards are crashing and throttling because of bad capacitors used on most cards. The Asus TUF RTX 3080 OC edition that you have is still the best OC card and on most of the cards they have used good capacitors, that can handle the OC. But not on all of the OC cards, so you could be unlucky and have gotten a cards with shit capacitors, that can not OC.

Try to downclock the card and see if that helps. Could also just be driver problems. But many people are describing the same problems as you.

Have you had any crashes to desktop, when in games?
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2020-09-26 at 11:45 AM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

It could be CPU bottleneck ... I think the 3080 is overkill for a i5.

If you have a 1080p monitor, can you try to use DSR in Nvidia Control panel to set something higher, 1440p, or 4K resolutions and see if it keeps happening?

If it does, you might have a defective card, because people are reporting crashes on some of the 3080, but not stuttering per se.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    It could be CPU bottleneck ... I think the 3080 is overkill for a i5.

If you have a 1080p monitor, can you try to use DSR in Nvidia Control panel to set something higher, 1440p, or 4K resolutions and see if it keeps happening?

If it does, you might have a defective card, because people are reporting crashes on some of the 3080, but not stuttering per se.
    A 6 core i5 will not make your games hit 30FPS, no matter what.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

This might help: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ack-thread-re/
    Scroll down to the 'open issues' section of the sticky

Just need to wait for an updated driver

10+ Year Old Account
    Likely a driver issue. Wait for updates and hope it gets solved

I gotta ask though, a 3080 for 1080p gaming? I sure hope you're planning to upgrade that monitor, otherwise it's a colossal waste lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Likely a driver issue. Wait for updates and hope it gets solved

I gotta ask though, a 3080 for 1080p gaming? I sure hope you're planning to upgrade that monitor, otherwise it's a colossal waste lol.
    The 3080 can emulate, or make 1080p screen to higher resolution.

My screen can make 2k and this card emulate it to 3k.

its not power supply, it's likely the capacitor issue or a driver issue.

Underclock your card for the time being.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    People keep spouting this bullshit, it really irks me.

In ideal world, yes, it would be an overkill. An ideal world where all developers are actually good at their job and take time to optimize their games, like witcher 3 and doom eternal. Unfortunately we live in a world where a rerelease of 8 year old game (amalur) struggles to stay above 60 on high end hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    People keep spouting this bullshit, it really irks me.

In ideal world, yes, it would be an overkill. An ideal world where all developers are actually good at their job and take time to optimize their games, like witcher 3 and doom eternal. Unfortunately we live in a world where a rerelease of 8 year old game (amalur) struggles to stay above 60 on high end hardware.
    Not gonna make much of a difference between a 2060 and 3080 in such cases though, because the GPU isn't the issue.

PC Setup:

What resolution are you running? Bottlenecking has been brought up, but I doubt that's your issue, bottlenecking may cause stuttering but it would be at the point of the bottleneck, ie: instead of getting 70fps you would get 65 fps. Do a clean install on your drivers and retest.
    If the problem persists, download your cards OC tool and throttle back power usage and clocks slightly. If that clears the issue it was the current 3080 power delivery issue that the Jay's 2 cents video is talking about.
    A slight declock won't change a psu issue though, but in 1080 I don't think you'd be drawing enough to run into the watt capacity of a 750 psu. It could be an issue with your PSU's rail that is delivering that power, I know the card has an odd power connector arrangement, its possible the rails you are plugged into arent rated for that kind of draw. Your psu's user manual will tell you the max draw from each rail.