Page 1 of 59
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Confirmation of Amy Coney Barrett for the Supreme Court

Resident Trump nominated Circuit Court Judge Amy Coney Barrett for the spot vacated by Justice Ruth Bader Ginburg. This thread is to discuss that confirmation process.

Amy Coney Barrett background.

Please keep the discussion focused on that process.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    may the lord open
    praise be

I can't believe that group has those similarly named people - that's just unfortunate.

may the lord open
    Under His Eye

Great choice by Trump. Her only being 48 means she should easily be on the high court for at least 30 years!

may the lord open
    His legs ?

Dirty boy.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Great choice by Trump. Her only being 48 means she should easily be on the high court for at least 30 years!
    She actually is, objectively, a great choice. Young, conservative, experience in all areas of the law (practice, teaching, judge). Her resume is fantastic. She's bright in interviews, easily likeable, and so far no skeletons in the closet.

Imo - the Democrats can really only hurt themselves going too far in their investigations. Push hard, of course, and rake her over the coals in the examination during the confirmation hearings, but ultimately, Justice Barrett is going to sit on the Supreme Court.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    His legs ?

Dirty boy.
    You know the reference, righ?

It's a shame that we are using the Judicial Branch as a political weapon instead of an independent check and balance of our goverment.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    She actually is, objectively, a great choice.
    Not really, America just has insanely shitty judicial standards as the norm and "she's nice" being thrown out as evidence to the contrary really just underlines the narrative that what's so offensive about Trump to y'all is in fact his lack of civility and not the ideology he comes with.

/yawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    It's a shame that we are using the Judicial Branch as a political weapon instead of an independent check and balance of our goverment.
    It sure is - but this has been going on for decades. Justice Thomas' confirmation was highly contentious. Bork's nomination was actually withdrawn back when morals mattered. I would expect this kind of thing to continue well into the future - especially if the Democrats increase the size of SCOTUS.

Remember folks, Roe v Wade (while important) is a distraction. The true Republican project will be significantly advanced by this. If you have Democratic Senators in your state on the Judiciary Commmitee, tell them to hammer her on labor rights, antitrust, and money in politics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    30 more years of unlimited money in politics, even more concentrated corporate power, and screwing workers into the dirt- thanks to gullible Conservatives such as yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Not really, America just has insanely shitty judicial standards as the norm and "she's nice" being thrown out as evidence to the contrary really just underlines the narrative that what's so offensive about Trump to y'all is in fact his lack of civility and not the ideology he comes with.

/yawn
    Wait, locking kids in cages wouldn't be "presidential" if he was just more stoic about it?!
    Last edited by Gestopft; 2020-09-26 at 06:06 PM.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

-snip-
    I didn’t know being anti-abortion, anti-gun control, anti-ACA and generally hard right on issues whilst overlapping law with faith made for an objective choice. Maybe the notion of the rule of law in the US is that twisted? For any other well developed and globalist nation, it’s an objectively backward choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I didn’t know being anti-abortion, anti-gun control, anti-ACA and generally hard right on issues whilst overlapping law with faith made for an objective choice. Maybe the notion of the rule of law in the US is that twisted? For any other well developed and globalist nation, it’s an objectively backward choice.
    "She's nice" write worthless liberal pundits who seem to think racism is a function of people being being mean to each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Remember folks, Roe v Wade (while important) is a distraction. The true Republican project will be significantly advanced by this. If you have Democratic Senators in your state on the Judicial Commmitee, tell them to hammer her on labor rights, concentrated power, and money in politics.
    Those and the ACA - it's pretty much done if that case gets heard by Barrett.

Of course Trump would nominate a member of a Christian what can only be described as a cult in which women are called handmaidens right out of handmaiden's tale. This reality is way too on the nose with the obvious.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I don't agree with my own evaluation, I'm just saying that looking down the road, her history is objectively good for confirmation. "Hard right" isn't a disqualification - and please keep in mind I personally agree with her entire body of law and rulings. I disagree entirely with her as a choice, but in the conservative world, she looks very good all around.

And those saying that "she's nice" isn't an issue for confirmation, which is a political process, haven't really been paying attention to the last 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    -snip
    There will be no fake tears or commiserations when the current slew of GOPers eventually die. They’re unrelentingly cruel and evil. They’ll only be happy when democracy dies. Extremely sad times.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Of course Trump would nominate a member of a Christian what can only be described as a cult in which women are called handmaidens right out of handmaiden's tale. This reality is way too on the nose with the obvious.
    Look - I do not like being on the side of defending her, but it seems the way her religious organization uses the title Handmaiden is as a personal advisor. Of course, there could not be a worse name, but there we are.

Look - I do not like being on the side of defending her, but it seems the way her religious organization uses the title Handmaiden is as a personal advisor. Of course, there could not be a worse name, but there we are.
    Actually it's much worse than that reports from former members of that group describe it exactly as such teaches women subservience and all kinds of extremist Christian views of the bible.

I don't agree with my own evaluation, I'm just saying that looking down the road, her history is objectively good for confirmation. "Hard right" isn't a disqualification - and please keep in mind I personally agree with her entire body of law and rulings. I disagree entirely with her as a choice, but in the conservative world, she looks very good all around.

And those saying that "she's nice" isn't an issue for confirmation, which is a political process, haven't really been paying attention to the last 30 years.
    I’m confused, so I’m requesting clarity.

On one hand you’re saying you don’t agree with your own evaluation and on the other hand you’re saying you agree with her entire body of law and rulings? Which one is it? Quite unclear on this.

Also, being hard right is a disqualification in a modern democracy where women’s rights, LGBTQ rights, access to inexpensive or free healthcare, gun control or further regulation of corrupt campaign finance acts is required. And we’re not even getting to the requirement that faith be separated from law. A book of fiction cannot be grounds for justice.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2020-09-26 at 06:11 PM.