Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    An i5 9600k is THE gaming processor, not a low end one lol.
    The i7 and i9 of the same generation are better. Making it the low end purchase for gaming on a pc, as the i3's are made for mobile devices(For this gen). its not a low end cpu compared to previous gen cpu's in the way a 10 year old i3 isnt a low end cpu compared to a pentium 1 cpu.
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Hi. sorry to ask a question in someone elses thread, But you all seem very Tech-"savy" and i've never really understood this stuff at all.

Throughout the years i've heard of people saying that PC needs to be "updated all the time as Components get outdated"

But i've had this current comp since around 2014 and never updated it.

So i'm wondering, Is my speccs still up to par nowdays? Is there something that needs to be updated to play games?

How do you even play games in 2k with a 780?

Quote Originally Posted by Tang0 View Post
    Both the cpu and the gpu are above or JUST at recommended limits with 2k@60hZ. He would probably run games a lot better on 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Both the cpu and the gpu are above or JUST at recommended limits with 2k@60hZ. He would probably run games a lot better on 1920x1080
    Recommended for what? Çs:go? That gpu would have a hard time even approaching 60 FPS in 2k in games made in the last few years. Hell, I doubt it will be capable of running Witcher 3 at 60fps, and that sucker is 5yo now.

Full disclosure - I do not consider minimum settings in 2k even a remotely playable experience.

Recommended for what? Çs:go? That gpu would have a hard time even approaching 60 FPS in 2k in games made in the last few years. Hell, I doubt it will be capable of running Witcher 3 at 60fps, and that sucker is 5yo now.

Full disclosure - I do not consider minimum settings in 2k even a remotely playable experience.
    I'm not even talking about games here. Literally just running 2k at 60hz. Its above the recommended for the gpu and its the higest recommended for the cpu.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Frankly WoW's biggest drawback point for me has always been, weirdly enough, disk drive speed.
    Yep, my observation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    That was true in like 2012 maybe. Back when people had to care about their addon memory-usage lol

Tech has come a long way since then.
    It used to just completely dump everything on 1 core which is why having an intel CPU was such a big deal. Its better these days, but its still not well optimized afaik and still very CPU bound.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

As i said in my post.. i don't know what 2k or 780 refers to.. i'm completly oblivious when it comes to these things.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    HAHAHAHA...

As if, I would ever touch anything connected to crypto currency, with a remote controlled 10 foot pole..
    There are websites with malicious code that run a miner in your browser.

On topic: if you can run BfA you can run Shadowlands. I have not seen any difference in open world and dungeons, didn't raid test though.

OP: Don't use an old budget processor and then complain when it stops being relevant. You can get solid mid-range i5s and amd 2600s for around $150.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Hi. sorry to ask a question in someone elses thread, But you all seem very Tech-"savy" and i've never really understood this stuff at all.

Throughout the years i've heard of people saying that PC needs to be "updated all the time as Components get outdated"

But i've had this current comp since around 2014 and never updated it.

So i'm wondering, Is my speccs still up to par nowdays? Is there something that needs to be updated to play games?

Consumerism says you must absolutely update everything right now and throw what you have in a landfill. Reality says if it is working for you and you are not unhappy with it then there is no need to upgrade.

A more powerful system will do things such as give you faster load times, allow you to display more graphic effects, make the game playable in a higher resolution so everything is more clear, etc.

I3's that come out today arent made for gaming they are made for work laptops who needs long battery life or mobile devices.

If you bought a new pc within the last 5 years and you bought and i3 you didnt get it for gaming(or you where an idiot tbh).

I5's are currently the low end gaming processors when it comes to Intel. Wow is reflecting that in shadowlands aswell.

TLDR:
    I3's that are 5 or more years old are outdated. Modern I3's arent made for gaming.

The 9th gen I3 CPU is just a rebranded I5 from the year prior. Until the 9th gen CPU, the I5 was just an I7 without hyperthreading and slightly lower clock speed making the performance of the I5 and I7 almost exactly the same in games because games do not use hyperthreading.

That changed a bit with 10th gen CPU's, in that now all CPU from intel provide hyperthreading. The 10th Gen I3 "Comet lake" is more powerful than the I7 "Skylake" by about 4%. Modern I3 will play games just fine Blizzard lists I5 Intel® Core™ i5-3450 as the minimum. The 6th gen I3 is about the same pwr as the i5-3450. The 3rd/4 gen I3 only has 2 cores and that is why it is not on the recommended list. Also, the 5th gen I3 was made only for Laptops maybe that is where you got the idea they were not made for gaming.

People need to understand its not the I3 that is the issue it is the generation of I3 that would be the issue. CPU's with lower power consumption that is made for a laptop is not the same CPU that is made for a Desktop. If your CPU has 4cores @ 3.1ghz then you meet the minimum requirements from a CPU perspective.
    Last edited by Kalika; 2020-09-26 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    SL’s minimum (not “recommended” but “minimum”) requirement is an i5 processor. I have an i3 that runs GW2 (avoid game vs. game discussion) just fine but can’t run this ancient beast that is WoW? What a ripoff!
    if you are running bfa just fine , there's no reason to worry .

Quote Originally Posted by Kalika View Post
    The 9th gen I3 CPU is just a rebranded I5 from the year prior. Until the 9th gen CPU, the I5 was just an I7 without hyperthreading and slightly lower clock speed making the performance of the I5 and I7 almost exactly the same in games because games do not use hyperthreading.

That changed a bit with 10th gen CPU's, in that now all CPU from intel provide hyperthreading. The 10th Gen I3 "Comet lake" is more powerful than the I7 "Skylake" by about 4%. Modern I3 will play games just fine Blizzard lists I5 Intel® Core™ i5-3450 as the minimum. The 6th gen I3 is about the same pwr as the i5-3450. The 3rd/4 gen I3 only has 2 cores and that is why it is not on the recommended list. Also, the 5th gen I3 was made only for Laptops maybe that is where you got the idea they were not made for gaming.

People need to understand its not the I3 that is the issue it is the generation of I3 that would be the issue. CPU's with lower power consumption that is made for a laptop is not the same CPU that is made for a Desktop. If your CPU has 4cores @ 3.1ghz then you meet the minimum requirements.
    Not sure why you are telling me all this.

The different series are made for different things at things point in time and the i3's are made for mobile devices. Doesnt mean you cant put a version of it in a pc and have it run games. Its just not what the core is made for.

I havent at any point said that you couldnt run games with a tenth gen i3. Just like the integrated graphics of most MB's today are enough to run a lot of games. Thats not really what they are made for tho.

Not sure why you are telling me all this.

I havent at any point said that you couldnt run games with a tenth gen i3. Just like the integrated graphics of most MB's today are enough to run a lot of games. Thats not really what they are made for tho.
    You said this

Modern I3's arent made for gaming.
    This is incorrect and this is why I am telling you this. And no you can not run an I3 for a laptop in a Desktop because you can not buy a Laptop CPU as a consumer. Also chances are that the CPU in the laptop or mobile device is soldered to the board. Any I3, I5, I7 that is in a laptop or mobile has the "U" suffix. Unless it is a gaming laptop!

Desktop I3, I5, I7 all use the same cores except for the 5th generation, I3 is just the last years I5 and the I5 is the previous years I7.
    Last edited by Kalika; 2020-09-26 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    Not true anymore nowadays.
    Absolutely true. I have a 2080 with a Ryzen 5 1600 - I can tell you with certainty that the Ryzen hits it's cap much sooner than the GPU. Realize that the CPU has so much more stuff to do and WoW is not well optimized for multithreading.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Keep in mind, that all of the actual business logic of WoW comes from Blizz's servers, while the client (the thing you download) only stores all the assets.
    You dont have even the slightest idea what you're talking about... Blizz trust the client way WAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much and has been since it was created lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalika View Post
    You said this

This is incorrect and this is why I am telling you this. And no you can not run an I3 for a laptop in a Desktop because you can not buy a Laptop CPU as a consumer. Also chances are that the CPU in the laptop or mobile device is soldered to the board. Any I3, I5, I7 that is in a laptop or mobile has the "U" suffix. Unless it is a gaming laptop!

Desktop I3, I5, I7 all use the same cores except for the 5th generation, I3 is just the last years I5 and the I5 is the previous years I7.
    You are right, what i said wasnt correct. I wasnt thinking about the mobile market as a gaming market, which it certainly is.

And no you can not run an I3 for a laptop in a Desktop because you can not buy a Laptop CPU as a consumer
    What in the world are you on about. Ofcourse you can.

Also chances are that the CPU in the laptop or mobile device is soldered to the board
    R - O - F -L

Any I3, I5, I7 that is in a laptop or mobile has the "U" suffix
    No. That just means its a power saving cpu. it doesnt have to be a "gaming laptop" to not have one.

This is also not true

I get the feeling this isnt going to end well. I've already made a few enemies in this thread just stating facts. I'm gonna get ganged up on arent i

Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    Not true anymore nowadays.
    What they mean is, is not that modern CPUs aren't good enough, or that mid-tier CPUs aren't good enough, it's just held back by it not being fully optimized for lots of cores and being an engine that's cobbled onto something that's very old. So, to WoW, single threaded performance is still king.

This same sort of thing is what holds back the original Crysis on modern computers, interestingly enough, too. It just doesn't take advantage of threads all that well.

The i7 and i9 of the same generation are better. Making it the low end purchase for gaming on a pc, as the i3's are made for mobile devices(For this gen). its not a low end cpu compared to previous gen cpu's in the way a 10 year old i3 isnt a low end cpu compared to a pentium 1 cpu.
    The single cores are like 5% better, and that is what matters for games