Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Shit what's the going rate on bullshit posting?

On topic this whole thing reeks like the "drivers responsibility program" here in texas. It was recently appealed thank God. The short version is if you got popped for certain traffic offence(s) you had to pay 300 to 1,000 bucks every year for 3 years or your licence was suspended. You had to pay the fines before you could get you driver's license back. Most didn't even know until the licence came up for renewal. The program had billions in unpaid extortion charges. Shit sucked
    In florida the dmv has a similar racket where after an accident, you need to provide proof of insurance and pay a security deposit to the dmv (not the affected parties) for pd and bodily injury even if no one was injured. On top of that they require that you purchase bodily injury coverage for 2 years eventhough the state does not normally require BI coverage. If you dont pay them the money and purchase bi they suspend your license.

I dont know if the gop would be overtly racist, if you watched the RNC they actually pretended to be woke, which is weird since its always an accusation of the left, but the RNC was full of tokenism and artificial diversity,

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...veaways-108072

Remember that time a Trump-aligned group literally was handing out cash to people of color to try to get them to vote for Trump?

Man, it's always hilarious to me to see Republicans pearl clutching about something only for them to have been involved in similar behavior that's even worse.
    A raffle... you’re up in arms about a raffle... but somehow just handing out millions of dollars specifically for people to vote a-ok. Look I get both sides of the argument, I just think it’s stupid, but at least be consistent, Politico smh

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, I live in California. This isn't happening.

That's all.
    It’s being voted on, though. Just hope it doesn’t pass.

Quote Originally Posted by silveth View Post
    Just to point out its funny to call it a pole tax for a state to require that the felons complete their "debt to society" before getting back the ability to vote.

debt to society was the jail time. And considering that our system makes it near impossible for felons to get jobs and gainful employment then adding fines on top of that is bogus. How much free labour did they do in prison? How much money did they make either the state or private prisons?

10+ Year Old Account
    If your goal is to disenfranchise some set of voters, it's not for any positive reason. It's just abuse of their rights and your democracy, and you really have to ask what the goal of that disenfranchisement is.

In Canada, all incarcerated prisoners are entitled to vote. What could we possibly gain by denying it? All that does, particularly if you extend it to ex-felons who've served their time, is ensure that those most oppressed by the State cannot vote their own interests in reforming that State.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    In Canada, all incarcerated prisoners are entitled to vote. What could we possibly gain by denying it?
    They'll vote for people who will let them out!

Or something like that...

10+ Year Old Account
    pole tax
    Strippers all over the country are devastated.

Just FYI, for the future, if you're going to rag about something, make sure you have the right name for it.

The only situation where i would support restricting the right to vote is voter/election fraud. No other crime should keep you from voting.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    A raffle... you’re up in arms about a raffle... but somehow just handing out millions of dollars specifically for people to vote a-ok. Look I get both sides of the argument, I just think it’s stupid, but at least be consistent, Politico smh
    A raffle providing direct cash to winners. That's not normal.

vs.

Donating to an organization designed to track down and pay off court fees.

[QUOTE=D3thray;52672516]It’s being voted on, though. Just hope it doesn’t pass.[/quote[

Still literally not happening.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just to point out its funny to call it a pole tax for a state to require that the felons complete their "debt to society" before getting back the ability to vote.

Just so I understand the felon has no responsibility for committing a crime and losing his rights until he completes the debt.
    Imo fellons ought to have the right to vote while in jail, and there ought to be a place for them to vote in every jail and prison in america.
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    They'll vote for people who will let them out!

Or something like that...
    This argument has always been stupid to me. Are there so many prisoners in our society that they overwhelm non-prisoners' votes? Of course not. Even in the US, our total prisoner pop is still a tiny minority population. Less than 1% (still incredibly high).

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Imo fellons ought to have the right to vote while in jail, and there ought to be a place for them to vote in every jail and prison in america.
    Agreed. Without these nonsense disenfranchisement laws there would never have been a war on drugs. There wouldn't have been a point. Imagine learning the lesson of prohibition first hand, then making it 1000x worse just 50 years later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    This argument has always been stupid to me. Are there so many prisoners in our society that they overwhelm non-prisoners' votes? Of course not. Even in the US, our total prisoner pop is still a tiny minority population. Less than 1% (still incredibly high).
    Trump won the election by 70K vote spread over the right places any minority is a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Stop listening to Rush Limbaugh
    Good logical response. Don't justify your position, just be glib.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Trump won the election by 70K vote spread over the right places any minority is a threat.
    A threat to what?
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

That's all.
    2020 California Proposition 16 is changing 209 to allow for discrimination by the state/local governments based on a persons group's race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin. They can say its for all the best reasons, but that doesn't matter. It literally allows for discrimination against people for something they have no control over. That is a horrible idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    A threat to what?
    The status quo of undemocratic government.

- - - Updated - - -

2020 California Proposition 16 is changing 209 to allow for discrimination by the state/local governments based on a persons group's race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin. They can say its for all the best reasons, but that doesn't matter. It literally allows for discrimination against people for something they have no control over. That is a horrible idea.
    Oh look, someone else that doesn't understand how affirmative action works and thinks discrimination and racism are the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Why do Rush onlyfans always mispell "colleges"? Tony did that all the time. I'm getting embarrassed for their 3rd grades teachers.

Weird that people are getting mad at Bloomberg for helping out.
    Voting is a political act. So ya, it will take the help politically minded groups or individuals.

Applying some purity test to helping people to vote ... is a weird fantasy.
    Funny, I never said I had a problem with a foundation helping them pay it off.

I just said that its funny that people are jumping on that felons have to finish paying off their fines to be able to vote, but no one cares that they have to do the same thing to get back the rights to have a firearm.

So you believe that once a felon is out of prison there is no lasting consensuses for their actions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny, I never said I had a problem with a foundation helping them pay it off.

I just said that its funny that people are jumping on that felons have to finish paying off their fines to be able to vote, but no one cares that they have to do the same thing to get back the rights to have a firearm.
    Shocking, it's almost as if not all rights are created equal and one is absolutely essential for a functioning democracy while the other was invented to give slaveholding states a legal pretext to form white supremacist militias under the guise of 'civil defense'.

It's not hypocrisy if you don't make a shibboleth out of neutrality on literally every moral issue under the sun, amazingly enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    A threat to what?
    rigging elections.

That's all.
    prop 209 repeal is California stripping civil rights away.

I'm guessing you have no idea on how the law actually works. You probably just read a headline from an article created by CNN or MSNBC or something.

Or, wait, let me guess, you're the type of person that thinks discriminating based on skin color is okay as long as it's not a marginalized group member?

Repealing prop 209 lets the state discriminate based on immutable characteristics(such as skin color or sex). You don't think this will come back and bite you in the ass later down the road? They could enroll colleges with nothing but asians and not get in trouble. What about the black community? This lets racists pick who advances in society without anyone legally saying otherwise. "Progressive" truly means "regressive" in this case. I can't believe you'd be for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Stop listening to Rush Limbaugh
    At what point are you people going to engage in honest dialog? He's making legitimate case for why a person shouldn't be allowed to vote until they're debt is paid to the society in which they harmed. And all you do is handwave it away as if that's a legit form of discussion. You must live on the internet, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.