Page 7 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    So Coney Barrett calls herself an originalist, huh. Well, that makes her a literal hypocrite - but in this day in age with the GOP, that's requirement #1. I mean, women weren't even seen as equal when the constitution was written, let alone even able to vote, so her being on the bench should go completely against her own beliefs.
    Yep, if she is an originalist, she herself can't vote or hold any positions of power since we have the 19th amendment that gives women the right to vote. She herself with those views, would get rid of that and disqualify herself.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    I was reading today, that she thinks all civil rights laws should be abolished.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...s-illegitimate

It is the Daily Kos, but they have some legitimate concern, she thinks the 14th amendment is of "legitimate concern".

She writes bout it in this 44 page report called "Congressional Originalism".

This is why this bitch shouldn't be nominated AT ALL. She shouldn't be on ANY fucking bench right now.
    Some of those laws are outdated. They were written when people thought differently than we do today, so those laws are outdated. The mentality that made those laws necessary doesn't exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Stick as its used here means kills is political career not if its true or not.

Any other politician who had done and said the same as trump would never get the republicans nomination and never ever get elected president
    Again, as far as conventional politics is concerned, Trump will last no longer than either this first term if not re-elected or after his second term ends.

He has no political career so to speak. It's just a power play where the GOP would've happily gone with any cunt that would galvanise a base that at this juncture is almost wholly comprised of opportunists and radicals. So no, he's not a teflon politician. The difference is they don't care.

It's the equivalent of the Joker in the Dark Knight. The GOP got desperate, so they turned to Trump. They don't fully understand the depth of their failure just yet, but when they do...it'll be far too late to stop the rot. I just hope America survives, but it seems unlikely as of now.
    Last edited by DingDongKing; 2020-09-27 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    Some of those laws are outdated. They were written when people thought differently than we do today, so those laws are outdated. The mentality that made those laws necessary doesn't exist anymore.
    Yeah, coming from our resident racist drive by bot? Pass. She wants to get rid of them, not update them.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Stick as its used here means kills is political career not if its true or not.

Any other politician who had done and said the same as trump would never get the republicans nomination and never ever get elected president
    The UK is far from perfect...but it is... at least mostly sane. If Canada does not work... I will be repatriating.

Seems like a decent choice, but i wonder how long until Joe Biden claims her and Corn Pop sexually assaulted him and rubbed his hairy legs at the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The UK is far from perfect...but it is... at least mostly sane. If Canada does not work... I will be repatriating.
    rains a hell of alot though.

and though our legitimate elecatable right wing is no where near as bad as the republicans, i mean the cons did give the OK to racial bias training for MP's (something the Reps in the US would never ever ever dream of doing) our politics has gone back to being mostly boring and stable, the far rights really big tool to use to get power (leaving the EU) is gone because we left the EU, so the parties like ukip are back to the political weeds, but also the far left basicly imploded after corbyn as far as any dreams of legitimatly getting a further left progressive goverment. a lot in labour blame the progressives and have pushed them to the side lines but even if labour can pull a blairite 2.0 it will still take labour a decade to really bounce back from the devisation of the last election based on what the political buissness advisors are saying.

so eh 3.6 rongen tbh could be worse, could be better, still gotta wait and see what the fallout from brexit really is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Again, as far as conventional politics is concerned, Trump will last no longer than either this first term if not re-elected or after his second term ends.

He has no political career so to speak. It's just a power play where the GOP would've happily gone with any cunt that would galvanise a base that at this juncture is almost wholly comprised of opportunists and radicals. So no, he's not a teflon politician. The difference is they don't care.

It's the equivalent of the Joker in the Dark Knight. The GOP got desperate, so they turned to Trump. They don't fully understand the depth of their failure just yet, but when they do...it'll be far too late to stop the rot. I just hope America survives, but it seems unlikely as of now.
    i think youve missed the point of what i was trying to say, and tbh i dont think im going to be able to explain it properly.

surfice to say reps dont think they need to look moderate anymore whilst trumps at the head.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, if she is an originalist, she herself can't vote or hold any positions of power since we have the 19th amendment that gives women the right to vote. She herself with those views, would get rid of that and disqualify herself.
    sounds like my nana, always saying how thatcher was the best priminister she had ever seen and then saying women shouldnt hold office, they should be the soft power behind men or some victorian typed belife...

We're going down the shitter too.

Boris Johnson has named an anti-BBC journalist as Chairman of...the BBC. He's also named a far right lunatic Daily Mail editor as OFCOM - who are the watchdog for telecommunications and broadcasting. There's also a new channel called GB News launching, which is essentially Fox News.

So yeah, we're not really going to be doing much different than you. Just more checks and balances to course correct, like.

Shouldn't be responding, but:

*cough* Shelby v. Holder *cough*
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    I was reading today, that she thinks all civil rights laws should be abolished.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...s-illegitimate

It is the Daily Kos, but they have some legitimate concern, she thinks the 14th amendment is of "legitimate concern".

She writes bout it in this 44 page report called "Congressional Originalism".

This is why this bitch shouldn't be nominated AT ALL. She shouldn't be on ANY fucking bench right now.
    UGH, Constitutional Originalists are almost as bad as Biblical Literalists. Of course I bet she's one of those too.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    UGH, Constitutional Originalists are almost as bad as Biblical Literalists. Of course I bet she's one of those too.
    Wait, so a beast with seven heads didn't rise from the sea? Well, that's my bedtime stories fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    She is Catholic, and of course there has been morons calling Bill Maher out for his anti-religion stuff against her, because she is a bad choice.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    She is Catholic, and of course there has been morons calling Bill Maher out for his anti-religion stuff against her, because she is a bad choice.
    Oh neat, are we going to get a new slew of wholly disingenuous 'you only dislike her because she's a Christian/Woman!!' pearl clutching to shield her from legitimate criticism?

I have ZERO issue with religion or people being religious. Even if you want to celebrate it, that's fine. Just don't use religion to make other people lose out. Women's rights is a fundamental element of a democratic and free nation. Don't fuck with the basics. And don't even get me started on the other issues she has including healthcare, gun control and what not. She's a bad choice regardless of what Bill Maher says, and he's a fucking tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Oh neat, are we going to get a new slew of wholly disingenuous 'you only dislike her because she's a Christian/Woman!!' pearl clutching to shield her from legitimate criticism?
    There were people doing that after Real Time aired Friday against Maher, so I fully expect it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I have ZERO issue with religion or people being religious. Even if you want to celebrate it, that's fine. Just don't use religion to make other people lose out. Women's rights is a fundamental element of a democratic and free nation. Don't fuck with the basics. And don't even get me started on the other issues she has including healthcare, gun control and what not. She's a bad choice regardless of what Bill Maher says, and he's a fucking tool.
    Oh, I fully expect these morons to try to get rid of Roe V Wade based on their religions, even though if they have actually read their books, their book loves abortion, but I am not going to get into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Remember folks, Roe v Wade (while important) is a distraction. The true Republican project will be significantly advanced by this. If you have Democratic Senators in your state on the Judiciary Commmitee, tell them to hammer her on labor rights, antitrust, and money in politics.

- - - Updated - - -

30 more years of unlimited money in politics, even more concentrated corporate power, and screwing workers into the dirt- thanks to gullible Conservatives such as yourself.

Wait, locking kids in cages wouldn't be "presidential" if he was just more stoic about it?!

but but they get to keep their gunz and get bigger gunz with more bigger loud noises....who needs all those other rights when you got big gunz!

- - - Updated - - -

sad part is Trump does not even support the anti-abortion stance.
    He most likley does not even give a shit one way or another since it has no personal impact on him.
    he just needs to say that to get elected.

he also has enough money to send his daughter and granddaughter to another country to get an abortion if they need one. unlike most of the country who will have no choice.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    but but they get to keep their gunz and get bigger gunz with more bigger loud noises....who needs all those other rights when you got big gunz!

- - - Updated - - -

sad part is Trump does not even support the anti-abortion stance.
    He most likley does not even give a shit one way or another since it has no personal impact on him.
    he just needs to say that to get elected.

he also has enough money to send his daughter and granddaughter to another country to get an abortion if they need one. unlike most of the country who will have no choice.
    I think the saddest part is Donald Trump is really our first Atheist president, the only god he worships is the one in the mirror.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    I do not believe that being religious should disqualify anyone from a job.

I am atheistic, if it matters.
    Being religious isn't the problem.

The problem is thinking your religious rules/guidelines have any relevance to anyone but yourself. And with a position as a judge of any level, thinking your faith and the principles derived therefrom have any place in informing your opinions on the law, which it should not. Personal faith is fine, when you keep it personal, and don't use it in place of actual responsible policy work or adjudication of law.

When Canada pushed through abortion reform, removing the remaining legal restrictions federally and mandating it as a right, just like any other health care procedure, it was Prime Minister Paul Martin who was at the helm, and supporting the process, despite himself being a Catholic and firmly pro-choice. Because he knew that his role was not to push his own religious views on the populace, but to protect every citizens' right to make these choices absent any religious rule from the government.

"My religion says that I shouldn't do that" is totally fine.
    "My religion says that you shouldn't be able to/allowed to do that" means you are seeking to violate people's civil rights and freedoms, and you should not be tolerated in polite society, because you're a religious zealot.

Then you agree that constitutional originalism is a dumb idea and that Barrett's stance regarding it is complete nonsense and should invalidate her as a candidate to the Supreme Court, all by itself?

Because you can't think any part of the Constitution is "outdated" and also be an originalist.

Depends... the UN has been sounding the alarm for some time now and more so lately and immigration and refugee lawyers see no reason why black or Latino Americans can't claim asylum. One example is that Roma people in Hungary are often awarded asylum in Europe and Canada with the reason being... in their country, the police target them, abuse them, give them dispropriate jail sentences. When they are killed there often is little to no followup, and wrongful deaths aren't investigated and when there is an investigation it is usually scant and the outcome is.... nothing.
    I actually wonder what will happen if Biden is a clear-enough winner of this election, and Trump refuses to concede, and takes a legal battle to SCOTUS and wins, and they install him as President.

I mean, does the UN then kick the U.S. off the Security Council, and sanction the country?

I know we've already chilled out on NATO, but do we get kicked out of NATO too?

It's scary, but that's what SHOULD happen if the above scenario plays out. And in 4 years, Trump would've managed to make the U.S. a global pariah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    It's already happening.

Dems have a Catholic Speaker of the House and Presidential Candidate, and Evangelicals on the Far Right usually can't stand Roman Catholics, but this Catholic happens to be in an Opus Dei-level cult of Catholicism where it's okay, so now they're pearl clutching anyone who dares criticize that as "persecuting her for her religion!"

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Barrett is going to get confirmed. And she will be unremovable (fed judges must be impeached - i.e. 2/3's vote of Senate).
    She will wind back the law in almost every category of social justice, in some cases all the to the 1930's.

Barrett is walking through almost every door Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg opened, and when Barrett arrives at her final destination, she will close them all.

If was are lucky enough to have a Biden administration with a Blue Senate, we must pack the court - significantly. 19-27 at least.