Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which Class Has The Most or Best Flavor?

I was curious as to someone loves good stories and lore, which classes/specs have the most/best lore? Things have changed a lot since I played and the older I get the more I love lore and flavour in my classes and specs compared to how good they are, and with MoM a lot of my memory is blank so I came here to ask this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jaina had some great lore in BFA, so mage gets my vote for now.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Shaman/Druids tend to be at the center of world ending threats, trying to mend wounds and heal the land.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Jaina had some great lore in BFA, so mage gets my vote for now.
    Jaina's lore has nothing to do with her being a mage or the mage class overall though.

Play a Shadow Priest. The next expansion will be about the Void, you are guaranteed to have new, immersive, and central story. Bonus point if you play a void elf.

Shadow Priest also has the most unique concept out of any class or spec. The shadowy form and theme set around insanity and sadism make Shadow Priest the most special spec in the lore and the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess maybe priests? They have good representation both as servants of the light and the void.

Death Knight. The Scourge is a world-wide persistent threat, so you always get some tangential tie-in to if not the Scourge than the origins of the Lich King and by extension Death Knights with things like Teron Gorefiend even in Outland. A lot of the Eastern Kingdoms is swept up in Forsaken/Plague activity, and as far as interacting with beings like Nathrezim and any Undead mobs it all ties into the class on some level so the entire creature type and cosmology of undead and death basically relates to the class in some way. The Plague and various Scourge invasion events reached the world over, involving all races, and certainly Naxx is one of the few raids to actually reoccur. And even if we're just talking about total class quests, the DK starting zone basically goes over and above the four Artifact lines Druids would otherwise be holding over them not even to mention all the focus they have in Northrend as a DK-central expansion filled to the brim with LK/Scourge lore to say nothing of all the dungeons in Wrath that all stay involved with these ties as well. There's an absolute ton of DK lore in abundance throughout the entire game. You may not find as many individual DK NPCs in your day to day hubs as quest-givers or vendors but in terms of total connections in lore I think DKs have the most to offer in total.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Paladin / Priest are probably have the most flavor at the moment. The story is really just getting to go beyond 'light good, void bad' narrative which made classes associated with the two forces much more relevant. Each expansion usually brings a class or two into the forefront so for Shadowlands, I think Death Knights and possibly Druids will benefit from a Life / Death themed expansion

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Obvious Paladins. They seem fitting for both SL and next expansion which will most likely have the Light theme.

The best flavour hmmmmm probably anything tauren because if you bbq them well it's identical to real beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Play a Shadow Priest. The next expansion will be about the Void, you are guaranteed to have new, immersive, and central story. Bonus point if you play a void elf.

Shadow Priest also has the most unique concept out of any class or spec. The shadowy form and theme set around insanity and sadism make Shadow Priest the most special spec in the lore and the game.
    i wouldn't go as far to say the most unique and most special. a spec based around using the powers of the void is one thing -- but so is a spec based around using Fel or the Holy light as it's just a cosmic/magic force. the part about going insane/surrendering to madness is pretty unique, yeah... but then you consider the flavor of, let's say, a Fury Warrior that is based around going berserk and enraging... almost in line with what is considering going insane.

i would say Legion shadow priest (and beyond) is definitely up there near the top of "most flavor" but certainly not most unique.

Quote Originally Posted by HadesBlessYou View Post
    i wouldn't go as far to say the most unique and most special. a spec based around using the powers of the void is one thing -- but so is a spec based around using Fel or the Holy light as it's just a cosmic/magic force. the part about going insane/surrendering to madness is pretty unique, yeah... but then you consider the flavor of, let's say, a Fury Warrior that is based around going berserk and enraging... almost in line with what is considering going insane.

i would say Legion shadow priest (and beyond) is definitely up there near the top of "most flavor" but certainly not most unique.
    Shadow Priest is the ONLY spec in the game that wields Void magic.

Fel: Warlocks (all 3 specs), Demon Hunter (all 2 specs)
    Light: Paladins (all 3 specs), Priest (2 specs)

But Void? Literally only Shadow Priest (I believe Affliction warlock also has some Void spells, but that's about it).

Even their artifact weapon ended up being unique, as it's the only artifact still playing a role after it was drained of power at the end of Legion. In BfA there is an entire questline revolving around Xal'athath, the mysterious entity confined within the blade who eventually breaks free and takes on the form of a void elf. The empty blade is then used by Wrathion to wound N'Zoth and breach his carapace.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-09-27 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingsince1981 View Post
    The best flavour hmmmmm probably anything tauren because if you bbq them well it's identical to real beef.
    And the winner of the thread goes to.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

So from what I am gathering it's Shadow Priest, DK and Mage?

I think class specific customization option could/would help the flavor of the classes out a lot. People just like fitting visuals.

Anything but Monk, Warrior, Rogue and Hunter.

Monk was forgotten after MoP

Warrior/Rogue/Hunter are depicted in lore as a general concept without actually fleshing up details, specially Warrior and Rogue. Many characters tend to be fluid and have traits of those 3 mixed to some extent.

Druid and Shaman for me. Not so much Paladin anymore, as the idea of the "Light" has just been homogenized across the board and seems very cookie cutter at this point.

Many will disagree, but I also think Monk as a Pandaren has a ton of flavor and lore, from the abilities and armor sets, to the class mounts and animations. Now whether you actually like said flavor is personal opinion obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Frimelda View Post
    I was curious as to someone loves good stories and lore, which classes/specs have the most/best lore? Things have changed a lot since I played and the older I get the more I love lore and flavour in my classes and specs compared to how good they are, and with MoM a lot of my memory is blank so I came here to ask this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Anything but Monk, Warrior, Rogue and Hunter.

Monk was forgotten after MoP

Warrior/Rogue/Hunter are depicted in lore as a general concept without actually fleshing up details, specially Warrior and Rogue. Many characters tend to be fluid and have traits of those 3 mixed to some extent.
    I would actually contest that Monks have a great fantasy; purely because it's quite undefined. At their core, Monks are Druid/Shaman hybrids that are outside of the organisations of those groups. They use their inner Spirit element (Shamans, alternately, use the external Spirit element provided by the Wilds) to manifest control over the Elements whilst emulating the Wild Gods (in-game, the August Celestials, but logically any Wilds-based entity) to provide their forms and mantras (but manifesting this externally as Summons, unlike Druids who manifest it internally as Shapeshifting).

Beyond the magic of it all: Monks have story roots in most Races, whilst the in-game mechanics still require the use of a single identity for abilities and these are bound by MoP lore, the RPG books and pre-MoP lore all support many different branches of Monks. Including but not limited to:

• Dwarf Thunderbrew Clan
    • Nightbourne Vintner
    • Orc Blademaster
    • Tauren Holystriders
    • Human Discipline Priests (Prior to Disc Rework)
    • By extension; Scarlet and Argent Monks and Ascetics
    • Night Elf Lone Druids (No Animal Totems, No Shapeshift)
    • Witch Doctors (Arguably Brewmasters)
    • All Windrider-associated classes
    • Troll Primalists

There's probably more. Monks cover a great variety of the "doesn't fit into another clear category" Classes of each Race. Some of the more interesting stories I've written for characters are:

- A Forsaken Apothecary who instilled his potions with Decay and could create Necrotic Fog to envelope allies. Plus, setting ignisible fluids alight is a very Lordaenian tactic!

- An outcast Wild Night Elf who uses a Polearm similar to Broxigar's Wooden Axe of Cenarius and channels different Beastial Forms for Gladitorial combat to earn his keep when he does not wish to over-hunt an area.

- My WoW main! A Darkspear Shadowdancer who revered the Spider Loa, Elortha no Shadra (RIP), and uses oils and swirling purple-stained mists to create enchanting acrobatic performances that can entrance her targets to make them compliant or vulnerable.

There's really no limit to how much fun you can have with Class Fantasy in WoW. I could go on about how the design for the Monk specs is actually really thematic and their gameplay matches different themes of the fantasy but I don't have time to keep writing.

Long story short: Monks rule and their in-game representation does them dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Shadow Priest is the ONLY spec in the game that wields Void magic.

Fel: Warlocks (all 3 specs), Demon Hunter (all 2 specs)
    Light: Paladins (all 3 specs), Priest (2 specs)

But Void? Literally only Shadow Priest (I believe Affliction warlock also has some Void spells, but that's about it).

Even their artifact weapon ended up being unique, as it's the only artifact still playing a role after it was drained of power at the end of Legion. In BfA there is an entire questline revolving around Xal'athath, the mysterious entity confined within the blade who eventually breaks free and takes on the form of a void elf. The empty blade is then used by Wrathion to wound N'Zoth and breach his carapace.
    Thank you for spelling it out. If anything, Void deserves a stand-alone class added to the game instead of a sole spec.