Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Picking the right 3080 card & manufacturer ?

From what I'm hearing there's quite a big difference between cards because the built-in NVIDIA boost software can make cards with lower quality components crash.

So my question is... does anyone know which are which so far? What cards or manufacturers are confirmed good and which are crashing?

The matter is quoted on both Tomshardware PC Gamer and elsewhere, but I'm not allowed to post links yet apparently

According to my info , Asus is best one out of all for now .

But almost all AIO manufacture have admitted these issue and should be solved in next batches hopefully .

Any card that is "Mixed(2)" or "MLCC" is fine. "Mixed(1)" and "POSCAP" cards are the ones reporting problems.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just wish they would hurry the fuck up and get more stock back in stores.
    Hoping they have stock before SL releases.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever
    Go Fast or Go Slow

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station Light or Battle Station Dark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Factcheck View Post
    Any card that is "Mixed(2)" or "MLCC" is fine. "Mixed(1)" and "POSCAP" cards are the ones reporting problems.
    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/UeS2sZE.png[IMG]
    There's a guy on this forum reporting problems with an ASUS TUF 3080.
    Might be a standalone problem, but it's worth noting

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    I just wish they would hurry the fuck up and get more stock back in stores.
    Hoping they have stock before SL releases.
    Last I checked, they're flying cards all over the place to get them in stock, and Nvidia claims there's more in stock every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Last I checked, they're flying cards all over the place to get them in stock, and Nvidia claims there's more in stock every day.
    i've been watching a stock tracker, NowInStock, it hasn't tracked most of the cards ever being in stock.

Yeah, the problem is not fully understood at this point except that the boost mode is causing instability, particularly with the 6 POSCAP configs. Reducing your cards clock speeds is a temporary fix. Regardless, always best to wait and see.

As always the early adopter tax strikes again.

You're best bet is to wait until we 100% know what the issues are and wait until AMD forces the 3080 20gb model reveal tbh.

15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

I check Newegg, Evga, Bestbuy and BH every few hours, no luck. Also, Nvidia may be sending out GPUs to the card manufacturers everyday, but I wonder how fast the manufacturers are getting them complete and shipped. Im only interested in Evga.
    Last edited by Krimzin; 2020-09-27 at 04:04 PM.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever
    Go Fast or Go Slow

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station Light or Battle Station Dark

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the problem is not fully understood at this point except that the boost mode is causing instability, particularly with the 6 POSCAP configs. Reducing your cards clock speeds is a temporary fix. Regardless, always best to wait and see.
    Yeah, is always a good idea to wait if you can afford to.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    i've been watching a stock tracker, NowInStock, it hasn't tracked most of the cards ever being in stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krimzin View Post
    I check Newegg, Evga, Bestbuy and BH every few hours, no luck. Also, Nvidia may be sending out GPUs to the card manufacturers everyday, but I wonder how fast the manufacturers are getting them complete and shipped. Im only interested in Evga.
    I'm just going by what I heard you two. It's possible that there were so many orders on launch day that new shipments are going to those, or that what I've heard is incorrect. I sadly don't have any insider information

But why EVGA? Their cards this time around don't seem to be super impressive. Their warranty is fantastic, but if the product itself is lacking, well..

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    You're best bet is to wait until we 100% know what the issues are and wait until AMD forces the 3080 20gb model reveal tbh.
    I'm not sure AMD can force that reveal. I'd like them to be able to, I'd like to see more competition, but I personally doubt it. Last generation AMD didn't really have an answer for the 2080/2070super after all.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Seeing several reports from people with TUF as well, even some from people who got the FE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’m more interested in ASUS, but we’re on the front end of a release. When I got my 980 it took me in the 4-6 week range to find reliable stock. I expect this may be more in the 6-8 week range, but once production fully ramps up the stock issues tend to go away rapidly. Right now some will get lucky and end up being early adopters, but unless you need a GPU now I usually prefer waiting so drivers can be ironed out. NVidia usually goes from a few issues to issues resolved fairly quickly and I’d rather deal with a wait than getting a card and wondering if it’s a lemon.
    Yeah, I'd expect the second batch of card to not have any hardware issues (Aside from what is caused in shipping), with software problems being patched not long after, if there are any.

I'm not sure AMD can force that reveal. I'd like them to be able to, I'd like to see more competition, but I personally doubt it. Last generation AMD didn't really have an answer for the 2080/2070super after all.
    The 6800 XT is supposed to be very similar to the 3080 in terms of rasterization performance. The 6900XT will handily beat it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 6800 XT is supposed to be very similar to the 3080 in terms of rasterization performance. The 6900XT will handily beat it.
    Based on leaks and AMD's boasting. I'll remain cautious until reviews are out.

Based on leaks and AMD's boasting. I'll remain cautious until reviews are out.
    AMD hasn't said anything about the 6000 series cards. This is all information from sources who have been right so far.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have the MSI Gaming X Trio . Not had one crash. Ran RTX star wars demo for 30 mins, Port Royal for 30 mins, boost sitting at 2040Mhz. No crashes on my card. I'm wondering how people are powering their cards. I'm using 3 seperate PCI-E cables to the card. I wonder if people who are all having issues are using maybe one or 2 cbales and a CTD happens when it tries to draw too much power?

I just find it strange that I've had not one issue with my card.

The issues exist when you overclock the card. If you don't overclock it's fine. However, I'd still suggest to get the 2 version because the (1) version has issues.

In fact,

I wouldn't buy these cards at all. I'd wait a year. Hypetrain on release fucks everyone, always.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thenadrys View Post
    From what I'm hearing there's quite a big difference between cards because the built-in NVIDIA boost software can make cards with lower quality components crash.

So my question is... does anyone know which are which so far? What cards or manufacturers are confirmed good and which are crashing?

The matter is quoted on both Tomshardware PC Gamer and elsewhere, but I'm not allowed to post links yet apparently
    This is why you shouldn't pick up new technology as soon as it is released. Despite the best efforts of the vendor, there tends to be issues. When you buy in the first wave, you are basically a beta tester. They'll never call you that, but that is what you actually are.

Wait a few months when beta testing is done.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD hasn't said anything about the 6000 series cards. This is all information from sources who have been right so far.
    Still, just leaks. I'm waiting for reviews.

They've not had a true high-end card since the 290x. I doubt they'll step back into the true high-end now, since it makes almost no money. Besides, if they're going to compete with Nvidia at the top end, they'd need to get the stability that Nvidia has, and with AMD's driver issues earlier this year, it seems unlikely people will be willing to spend the money to get a card from them unless it's significantly cheaper, or better.

And of course, Nvidia can just fire right back by reducing the 3090 pricing, or releasing a 3080ti with 16-20gb of VRAM and the performance of a 3090 for 2/3rds the price and likely beat out AMD again
    Last edited by Temp name; 2020-09-27 at 06:29 PM.