Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by sykoex View Post
    This seems incredible. Are there any downsides to using an NVME?
    They're more expensive for a tiny gain from SATA ssd.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I can't believe we're still discussing HDD's in 2020.

The discussion should be NVMe vs SSD.

If you still have a HDD, get a job. If you still rely on SSD's, get a better job.
    Spoken like someone with no idea of what the real world can be like.

Besides, quite a large portion of the folks who play WoW probably don't know what a HDD or SSD is.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Spoken like someone with no idea of what the real world can be like.

Besides, quite a large portion of the folks who play WoW probably don't know what a HDD or SSD is.
    ? You can get a decent sized NVMe for almost nothing (500gb/80$). Even the high end brands are comparable to RAM pricing, which is arguably the cheapest component in your PC. How is that not "real world-ish"? You don't need to buy a 2TB nvme for Warcraft, so no need to overread what I'm saying, cost wise.

Quote Originally Posted by angrys13 View Post
    ? You can get a decent sized NVMe for almost nothing (500gb/80$). Even the high end brands are comparable to RAM pricing, which is arguably the cheapest component in your PC. How is that not "real world-ish"? You don't need to buy a 2TB nvme for Warcraft, so no need to overread what I'm saying, cost wise.
    Again, a large portion of the player base likely doesn't know what an SSD is, and a larger percent still probably don't have a PC/laptop that supports NVMe in the first place. People play WoW on everything from old media PCs & dual core laptops right up to the top end, but the majority of people aren't running great systems.

Quote Originally Posted by sykoex View Post
    This seems incredible. Are there any downsides to using an NVME?
    They are smaller, hotter and directly on your mainboard. In my case the NVMe would sit right between graphics card and CPU. Shouldn't be too much of a problem since both of them are 75W, but there are people with 275W gpu/cpus where every ° counts.

Normal SSDs just put them anywhere in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by angrys13 View Post
    You do know that most people play games on comparatively potato computers, most likely prebuilt, or laptops (source: Steam hardware survey)? From among my gamer friends, only a minority even know what an SSD is, and only one even heard of NVMe in the first place, it's hardly mainstream technology. Of course enthusiasts on a video game forums know about this stuff generally, but most just want their gaming to be as plug-and-play as humanly possible, much like people who just have a car because it's a necessity and aren't enthusiasts about it have never even heard of tuning and probably couldn't distinguish a battery from a turbocharger.

Now, I would advise anyone gaming on PC that an SSD is the best purchase they can possibly make in regards to quality of life for sure, especially for WoW. But I'm fairly certain not even 50% of WoW players have one.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually surprised the NVMe SSD is that much faster than the SATA SSD.

I got rid of my final HDD about a year and a half ago and haven't looked back. For Steam games in particular I don't typically keep them installed if I don't plan to revisit them any time relatively soon, so the 5 TB I have between my SSDs is more than enough to keep me covered.

Getting an external SSD is the easiest thing ever. No excuses at this point, and no point waiting for a new PC upgrade if you're still on HDD.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    My raid leader still uses hdd, when she dcs we take a 10 minute break

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I can't believe we're still discussing HDD's in 2020.

The discussion should be NVMe vs SSD.

If you still have a HDD, get a job. If you still rely on SSD's, get a better job.
    It depends on what you’re looking for. Price per gb is still lower with hhd. But price per mb/s is a different story.

Ppgb on the barracuda 2TB $.027 or 2-3 cents

Ppgb on the gigabyte pcie4.0 1TB $.19 or 19 cents

Ppmb/s on the barracuda 2tb 147mb/s $.37 paid for that speed

Ppmb/s on the gigabyte pcie4.0 1tb 5000mb/s is $.038 paid for that speed.

It really comes down to if you need storage or speed. My advice, buy both. A hdd for storage and ssd for your main games/productivity.

I will agree my example isnt exactly the best but i dont have time to look at every single piece of memory. They are what I currently own.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB