Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Only 20.000 people grind in WoW

So hey guys, a friend of mine linked this new site, and once again the same picture I saw in WOD, is still present today end of BFA in 2020.

https://www.dataforazeroth.com/chara...ncrest/Djuntas Here is the link for my main.

I know I lack soooooooooooooooooooooooooo (...) many achievements, mounts and all that jazz I just dont bother grinding hard for. Im sure many people more motivated than me got them years ago even.

Yet what I find is a very relaxed / casual POV to grinding in wow ranks me at 2855 in world on achievements, 4000 on mounts.

I know grinding as much as this requires is just not even CLOSE to being everyone's cup of tea, but I will leave the last example: I dont collect pets anymore, sold all my pets in WOD, I just said...fuck it, I have my limits, I dont wanna haft to do pet shit. So now a days I have barely even done any pet achievements and so on. Yet even if I got rid, and still trying to sell new pets I get, Im ranked 89.000 in the world, when im not even trying to do anything for it, in fact im combating my own ranking.

What are your thoughts on this? When I dug into this in WOD I figured maybe the sites back then were a little inaccurate - I mean come on, wow is like basement dweller utopia, thats what we're all told, and its also supposedly has 3, 5, 6? million subscribers. But from the title only seems like MAX 20.000 people even grinds in this game.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I had never heard of dataforazeroth before, nice!

You for sure have a butt load more achieves than me, I guess everyone has their own focus on what they enjoy. I try to kind of focus on everything: fun, gear, collecting (everything) it's a large game for sure

Where do you see that 20,000?

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Where do you see that 20,000?
    Its just a number - If im, with a casual playstyle of not going very hard imo, are top 3000, I imagine the people under me many of them barely even grinds. I know what a HUGE difference there is between just 31k or 30k nerd points, let alone 28k which I figure is enough for 20k world rank.

And I say casual because like all of 2020 it feels like I barely grinded anything, just been bored in wow making a lot of gold on my bank alt. Also played classic wow for like 2 months total or so. I know when I go hard in wow, did that beforehand and that I cba anymore, yet im still good today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Its just a number - If im, with a casual playstyle of not going very hard imo, are top 3000, I imagine the people under me many of them barely even grinds. I know what a HUGE difference there is between just 31k or 30k nerd points, let alone 28k which I figure is enough for 20k world rank.

And I say casual because like all of 2020 it feels like I barely grinded anything, just been bored in wow making a lot of gold on my bank alt. Also played classic wow for like 2 months total or so. I know when I go hard in wow, did that beforehand and that I cba anymore, yet im still good today.
    As much as I think people believe they are casual, anyone with achieves over 30k IMO isn't casual lol

Asmon has like 1k more than you and he literally plays wow 10+ hours every single day of his life

I play probably 2 hours PER day and I'm like 10,000 below you, obviously I do other things (my feats compared isn't even close) but again - if you look at how many toys, titles, pets, and mounts you have ALONE that enough makes you look pretttttty hard in the game (or if you play clASSic "SWEATY")

tl;dr anyone saying that 31k+ achieves is casual is 100% fooling themselves (it's like when you go into LFR and act like your DAMAGE METER is broken and say "ANYONE GOT DPS FOR LAST BOSS" when you DAMN WELL FUCKEN KNOW you're so far on top people can't even see that high)

10+ Year Old Account
    never heard that site before, thanks.

i am 2nd on my server and this is a bit weird tbh. i am not a completionist or anything. my only focus is pet battles and it was not a surprise that i am second on my server at that region (1st is world class collector with many pets that are not available anymore)

surprising, to say the least.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

I must admit I'm skeptical of the rankings and just how accurate they are. It ranks me 40K-120K in EU and 1-2k on my server (EU-Argent Dawn). I think that sounds reasonable, because I'm very casual. I have a few 120s, but I kinda get tired quick at max level and reroll lol

id say there is a direct link between peoples willingness to grind and the coolness of the rewards.

there aren't any cool rewards any more. (for like half a dozen different reasons, so it's not like there is an easy fix either.)

Grinding achievements is the absolutely least interesting aspect of WoW to me.

It's a *zing!* and... nobody gives a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenadrys View Post
    I must admit I'm skeptical of the rankings and just how accurate they are. It ranks me 40K-120K in EU and 1-2k on my server (EU-Argent Dawn). I think that sounds reasonable, because I'm very casual. I have a few 120s, but I kinda get tired quick at max level and reroll lol
    if you do any m+15 you easily end up in 40k-120k EU on raiderio so that doesn't sound particularly strange.

Do you know for sure they've polled data about all characters? Or only people who've used that site before?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The site says my prot warrior has 0 mounts, toys, and recipes despite being level 120.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I pulled a number out of my ass based on a second-hand site, totally must be legit! IMMA MAKE A TOPIC"
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Do you know for sure they've polled data about all characters? Or only people who've used that site before?
    In their Faq it says all activate accounts was it last 30 days or whatever gets updated through Blizzard API.

Thanks for comments all. I know Im not per say casual, but I feel very casual. I could do so much more, like now im playing another game a bit and just grinding gold last month in wow pretty much. I need the gold for mounts and shit in Shadowlands so lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    "I pulled a number out of my ass based on a second-hand site, totally must be legit! IMMA MAKE A TOPIC"
    I also question the sites legimacy, like I said in the OP, but if what he says in the about section is true I find it to be accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    id say there is a direct link between peoples willingness to grind and the coolness of the rewards.

there aren't any cool rewards any more. (for like half a dozen different reasons, so it's not like there is an easy fix either.)
    Thats of course true, I agree, but the pet ranking was especially fun for me - Again I cant sell anymore pets - I maybe have like 50-70 pets I lvl'd 1 time during squirts I keep, rest I cant get rid of, and yet im in top 90.000 world when I combat the ranking.

Why's it including stuff only available to the opposite faction for your character, such as reputation?

never heard of this site, thanks for that dude

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Why's it including stuff only available to the opposite faction for your character, such as reputation?
    I think they have a "alt" score, so also counts alts. I for instance know I must be close to having done the most quests on a single character, its just a weird thing I worked on over the years cause I found some addons to track stuff I missed, but that dosen't mean Im good ranked cause I dont play my alts a lot...Idk, but think its an alt score. The site is quirky

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    As much as I think people believe they are casual, anyone with achieves over 30k IMO isn't casual lol

Asmon has like 1k more than you and he literally plays wow 10+ hours every single day of his life

I play probably 2 hours PER day and I'm like 10,000 below you, obviously I do other things (my feats compared isn't even close) but again - if you look at how many toys, titles, pets, and mounts you have ALONE that enough makes you look pretttttty hard in the game (or if you play clASSic "SWEATY")

tl;dr anyone saying that 31k+ achieves is casual is 100% fooling themselves (it's like when you go into LFR and act like your DAMAGE METER is broken and say "ANYONE GOT DPS FOR LAST BOSS" when you DAMN WELL FUCKEN KNOW you're so far on top people can't even see that high)
    31k+ could be casual? I mean, I spent more than 50h on mythic N'zoth before we got him down. Imagine how many achi-points I could have gotten instead. It's just a matter of what you do with your time. If every 2h per day is put into doing achievements you should be able to have 31k+ by now (starting from when achievements first was introduced).

I had a period where I really farmed a lot off achievements. We were some friends doing it so it was more of a social thing. Still, I'd guess that would amount to some 1-2k achi-points? Wasn't a very long period. I now have some 21k by just passively gaining them over time. Only some dungeon and raid meta achis have been focused on but that's a really low achi-point-pool in the long run.

Again, this is if you've played on and off since achis was introduced. You wreck up a lot of points by just playing an expansion. Leveling through an expansion just to get to the newest isn't even close in points gained though.

So if you started playing in BFA then 31k+ is pretty hardcore, but if you started way back, pretty casual. In my opinion.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

I mean, are you really a casual ? I don't think you could reach 30K and be casual in the true sense of the word except If you play since a very long time and then I don't think you could really be a casual in the modern sense.

A WoW casual at this point is someone that buys the expansion every few years, level to know the storyline, dabbles a bit in the early content and then either quit or get back when there's a big patch to know the follow-up to the story. Someone who plays the game "a bit" since years is not really what I would call a casual even though It's a healthy relationship to the game.

I played hardcore during multiple time periods yet I have only 14k achievement points (which puts me in the "unranked" category). Granted, It's mostly because I don't really PvE anymore except in Mythic+ so I no longer passively acquire a lot of achievements. But even moreso because I simply don't care at all about achievements which for me are not something that motivate me to play multiplayer games (I like achievement hunting on EU4 but If I'm bored in WoW for lack of challenge or community I simply unsub).

I think It's true that I'm at the extreme end of "not caring" but at the same time I don't think I represent a really uncommon share of the playerbase that's really involved in the game either.

Indeed, I feel like most hardcore players focus on accomplishing hard tasks that require real mechanical skills and/or a great degree of cooperation with other players.

I don't say achievements require no skill at all (bar the easiest that clearly wouldn't allow you to reach 30K) because they often require to do silly tasks to get them and these silly tasks often require some form of skill... But they're clearly not as challenging as high-end PvE content or PvP at high ratings either.

Come to think of It, your surprise over this somewhat mirrors the incomprehension I have about the obsession a big part of the community seem to have gotten about the Mighty Caravan Brutosaur in the last year.

For me, spending 5 million gold for that seems to be a waste of money you could spend on something more useful (multiple BoE BiS gear pieces, consumables for like forever, subscription for more than 2 years ...) and even very prestigious achievements If you're a scummy player (you could get a full Mythic carry quite early in the Raid tier for this kind of money).

On top of that, I see Caravan Brutosaurs everywhere nowaday and I sincerely no longer think they're impressive at all. Even moreso because It was further spoilt by Mr Moneybags that simply spent a few hundred bucks to get It. So I don't think there's a prestige motivation that could motivate me If the task at play wasn't so boring either.

But It's only because I don't see the game the same way as others see It. Some players like to set themselves goals that make them proud about what they've accomplished and that's totally fine with me even though I don't understand It completely.

But for me, what you consider to be the game (achievement, grinding professions/gold/mounts) are mundane things I have to care a bit about (like some achievements to get in good groups easier, optimizing my performance by getting better pieces of BoE gear, sometimes show off a bit with a hard to get mount...) to be able to not care about them the earliest possible.

I don't consider them hindrance because I feel like they're a staple of a RPG but I'm glad they're not something I have to worry too much about either.

OP, there is NOTHING casual about you. You are beyond delusional feeling that way. Your achievement points, mount count, toy count, quest count, etc. show that you have been no-lifeing the game for probably a decade+. Seriously, you are the antithesis to casual.