Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Way to not actually address any of the content. Also, your article makes my point...the breakdown was geographic. It was a bipartisan beatdown on the South and their racism.
    I mean I read what you wrote. The problem is that you are trying to make something geographical because it's convenient.

It still does not change the fact that the REPUBLICANS voted with 80% support and that a REPUBLICAN was key in passing it. I don't even...

I'm too tired to keep dunking on you guys. It's boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Elected judges seems like a bad idea, politicians apointing judges also seems like a bad idea. To me the point of the judiciary is to check both the power of the government and also the power of the people and thus ensure that the rights of individual's isn't harmed by the will of the majority,

Over here our judges are appointed by judges, by the independent judicial Committee in the name of her majesty, the highest rank being the Lord chief justice who is also appointed by the committee, there's no party political involvement allowed as part of the unwritten constitution mandates the indepance of the judiciary from Parliament under the crown, this allows the judiciary to perform is functions of holding Parliament to the law when needed without political loyalty or fear of political reprisals, the closest they get to political is the Lord chief justice gets a non affiliated seat in the house of Lords so that they can over see and scrutinise new legislation with the other Lords of the house.

Which is a much older system than america has even been a nation but is far better than this weird way you guys seem to have it. :/
    Well, you see... America hated King George III the "tyrant" so much they decided to create a system akin to King George I, who gave us our first Prime Minister Robert Walpole. Where you have one guy picking who he shall empower with titles! I frankly find that modern-day America has more in common with the early power shift to parliament under a King... than it does with most modern-day western nations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Selling corn and lumber to China through the ports on the West Coast that --

Oh, wait.

I'm not surprised these are the same people that come up with money pit secession propositions like the state of Jefferson, lol.
    Considering the sanctions that will be levied on them by this new nation (because you know for sure they will be terrorists) i can't see how they could survive.

Quote Originally Posted by seashell86 View Post
    I mean I read what you wrote. The problem is that you are trying to make something geographical because it's convenient.

It still does not change the fact that the REPUBLICANS voted with 80% support and that a REPUBLICAN was key in passing it. I don't even...

I'm too tired to keep dunking on you guys. It's boring.
    And you are ignoring the Southern Strategy... again.

Stephen Miller says you're full of shit.

Until you can justify him, and explain why he is where he's at, then you are ignoring the past 45 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    California is 14% of the entire GDP of this country... new york is 8%...

You think Dixieland can survive after they lose over 27% of the GDP in just those few states... that prop up dixieland??? Where will Kentucky get the 160 billion it took?
    I love how you assume Kentucky would need the $160 billion it "took".

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yeah I forgot the right wing MO is to save money by letting people starve to death or die of otherwise entirely preventable things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Exactly what states will be in your white supremacist utopia?

10+ Year Old Account
    Selling corn and lumber to China through the ports on the West Coast that --

Oh, wait.

I'm not surprised these are the same people that come up with money pit secession propositions like the state of Jefferson, lol.
    Fun fact, a lot of grain and lumber go through ports on the West Coast that would NOT remain with the large cities.

It's not "convenience" it's "context."

Which is sort of an important thing when analyzing things.

Yes, credit to the GOP of the 1960's.

The GOP of today would NEVER do something like that, because of the numerous forces- including backlash against the CRA- that caused social conservatives to coalesce into the GOP instead of being split between the parties as they had been.

Your problem is that you are trying to tie what parties were 50 years ago to what they are today. History happens. Political realignments happen.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Exactly what states will be in your white supremacist utopia?
    I actually dont look at states as much as regions, because that is where the divergence actually is.

This was literally the problem during the COVID March-June disaster. McConnal saying that New York just wants taxpayer money meanwhile new york had lost 150 billion to the Fed while McConnals state gained about 160bn which they got because the other states had to subsidise them.

Don't speak on topics you don't know anything about. Instead, ask "why do you say that" This way it is less embarrassing.

"NYS puts $116 billion more into the federal pot than we take out," the New York governor tweeted, referencing findings from the Rockefeller Institute of Government's 2020 analysis of federal budget receipts and expenditures nationwide. "Kentucky TAKES $148 billion more from the federal pot than they put in," Cuomo continued. "But we don't deserve help now because the 15,000 people who died here were predominantly democrats?"
    The Rockefeller Institute found that Kentucky received $148 billion more than it sent to the federal government over the course of four years. Meanwhile, New Jersey received $71.7 billion less than it sent. New York received $116.2 billion less than it sent.
    Also I was wrong it wasn't 160bn but 148bn... yeah... tell me why the fuck is kentucky leadership running around bitching about "taker blue WEALTHY states" when they themselves can't pull themselves up by their bootstraps?

Also leave it to dixieland to take the saying pull yourself up by your bootstraps and make it their mantra to live by when the original meaning was that IT WAS SOMETHING IMPOSSIBLE THAT YOU COULDN'T DO

The saying "to pull oneself up by one's bootstraps"[1] was already in use during the 19th century as an example of an impossible task. The idiom dates at least to 1834, when it appeared in the Workingman's Advocate: "It is conjectured that Mr. Murphee will now be enabled to hand himself over the Cumberland river or a barn yard fence by the straps of his boots.
    It's too fucking perfect.... just how Dixieland thinks "one bad apple" when it comes to cops means everything is fine! Never mind "one bad apple spoils the bunch"

Don't go chasing arguments. please stick to the lies and the shit that you're used to. ~ a la TLC

History, facts, figures, numbers, data, are not your strongest area dear.
    Last edited by Themius; 2020-09-28 at 03:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually dont look at states as much as regions, because that is where the divergence actually is.
    And exactly which regions will those be? Chances are the political divide isn't as neatly geographic as Breitbart or the Drudge Report indicate.

Moreover, you're gonna have to prove that any of the Republicans in those regions actually give enough of a shit about their principles to actually stomach the difficulty of leaving. Because given how much y'all bitch about minor inconveniences like wearing a mask color me skeptical that y'all can sustain a long term campaign of economic attrition wherein personal sacrifice will be required.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Yeah... lots of white supremacists in those regions.

I love watching people try and argue how amazing things would be without cities...

The people who were pushing the State of Jefferson pushed that... and when it was pointed out that they are a huge welfare burden on the rest of the state... they had no answer.

Those white supremacist utopias still live off the cities.

10+ Year Old Account
    This was literally the problem during the COVID March-June disaster. McConnal saying that New York just wants taxpayer money meanwhile new york had lost 150 billion to the Fed while McConnals state gained about 160bn which they got because the other states had to subsidise them.

Don't speak on topics you don't know anything about. Instead, ask "why do you say that" This way it is less embarrassing.
    Prove they would have HAD to subsidize them if Kentucky was not politically bound to NY.

Prove they would have HAD to subsidize them if Kentucky was not politically bound to NY.
    it wasn't just NY that money comes from new york nj ct California. That money comes from the wealthy states that are typically all blue... because no one gives a fuck about corn and lumber.

10+ Year Old Account
    "We wouldn't need so much money if you would just let us kill our citizens through malnutrition and lack of housing or healthcare" is not the stellar argument you think it is.

Also I'm fairly sure Kentucky needs roads and shit for you to transport all that grain and other stuff you claim is gonna make you rich once you rid yourselves of the cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yeah... lots of white supremacists in those regions.

I love watching people try and argue how amazing things would be without cities...

The people who were pushing the State of Jefferson pushed that... and when it was pointed out that they are a huge welfare burden on the rest of the state... they had no answer.

Those white supremacist utopias still live off the cities.
    I'd be fine cutting them off so they can live how they truly want to... i wonder how that works out for them...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be fine cutting them off so they can live how they truly want to... i wonder how that works out for them...
    Pretty much. My concern for secession is less a function of wanting to keep the union together and more not wanting to abandon the people in those regions who do not deserve all manner of poverty and disgrace like their fellows.

If the GOP wants to all emigrate to Alaska and then secede they're welcome to do so.

"We wouldn't need so much money if you would just let us kill our citizens through malnutrition and lack of housing or healthcare" is not the stellar argument you think it is.

Also I'm fairly sure Kentucky needs roads and shit for you to transport all that grain and other stuff you claim is gonna make you rich once you rid yourselves of the cities.
    If not for the rich states I swear the south would have even more brain drain (shocking I know..) than they have now. They'd immediately lose all the gays, non-Christians, and minorities if they ever split off.

Then again...idk... they'd probably try to reinvoke slavery in more overt forms. Make listening to blues, salsa, rap, reggaeton, bachata illegal and then start arresting people. Then they'd need to hire some people to catch those people if they try to get away to the north... we'd have to figure out an undercover way to get people out of the "shithole" country that would be forming under us.

They are still under the impression that the water would be theirs...

The thing is, this is supposedly a push about liberty, but almost every damn one of them is a huge authoritarian.

Pretty much. My concern for secession is less a function of wanting to keep the union together and more not wanting to abandon the people in those regions who do not deserve all manner of poverty and disgrace like their fellows.

If the GOP wants to all emigrate to Alaska and then secede they're welcome to do so.
    My problems are two fold.

1. the people there that are oppressed and will be made slaves... i don't even doubt it that they'd just go full blown slavery. It isn't even something I can be like "omg no way" about... it would happen.

2. They are prone to terrorism...