Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I think ALL the Star Wars movies suck, including the originals.

I don't hate the Matrix sequels, even if they don't compare to the first.
    I actually really like the 3 Matrix films. The 2nd and 3rd deal with much more heady themes, and thus are panned by the vox populi who only want to see bullet time fights in the Matrix, and not the grim reality of Zion.

The only thing that doesn't hold up, actually, are some of the CGI effects. The Wachowskis pioneered some stuff in the original, and then tried to be on the cutting edge of CGI, and it ended up looking rubbery. CF the Burly Brawl with Neo and the dozens of Agent Smiths, where his coat looks like a rubber sheet waving in the wind than actual cloth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hancock is great BECAUSE of the twist and second half.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysis View Post
    Some of these are so funny. Anyway:

- Rogue One is the best new Star Wars movie
    - GoT season 8 was amazing, third episode (The Long Night) was one of the best TV episodes ever
    - The Simpsons are boring
    - The Big Bang Theory isn't funny
    - How I Met Your Mother started great, hit lowpoint during season 5-6, and then got great again (with the exception of the finale, that was shit)
    - The Red Dwarf is boring / isn't funny & people who repeat jokes from that show in real life are one of the most annoying beings in the universe
    - David Lynch is overrated. Extremely overrated.
    - Anything Damon Lindelof touches turns to gold
    - Robert Pattinson was always a good actor
    - Keanu Reeves is wonderful human being but not very good actor. Luckily he picks projects that don't require much acting
    I think the Rogue One opinion is a rather popular one, just a few rather vocal here (one of them being a former mod) who love bad writing and obvious biases.

The only opinion I can think of offhand that I have that is unpopular is I think Dragon Ball GT is as good (or as bad) as Dragon Ball Super...if you want to say GT is bad then Super is pretty bad too

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I actually really like the 3 Matrix films. The 2nd and 3rd deal with much more heady themes, and thus are panned by the vox populi who only want to see bullet time fights in the Matrix, and not the grim reality of Zion.
    Disagree..very much.
    The tone of the sequels are different from the first movie, which was finished in and of itself.

The 2nd movie changed the message of the first. Neo never had to fight anything in much the same way he no longer had to worry about bullets.
    And flying to save Trinity who was dying? Seriously? Lol just snap the fingers and boom...done. In the matrix, Neo no longer has to play by the rules. He makes them.
    That was a one-and-done movie.

Those sequels were just money grabs that weren't very coherent with the first movie.

Zombies aren't boring. The genre has simply been infested with predictable narratives based around humans being the real monsters which inevitably lead to the zombies fading into the background.

• The Star Wars prequels are great, but they're going for different things than what the OT went for. The OT is a heroic adventure story whereas the PT is a tragedy of political intrigue, war, and betrayal. If you wanted more OT, you're not going to find it in the PT. I appreciate them both for different things.
    • Return of the Jedi is the best OT movie. I liked the Ewoks. Only thing I dislike about RotJ is that during the final battle, the Endor battle is oddly paced and isn't as interesting as the space battle or the confrontation in the throne room.
    • Star Wars the Clone Wars isn't good. Most of the episodes are mediocre at best, with a few legit good episodes in the last three seasons.
    • Stargate Universe suffers from the same problem that Star Wars Prequels did: Universe isn't a bad show (actually it succeeds at what it wants to be), the problem is that it was marketed towards old fans of the franchise who wanted more of the old franchise. Stargate fans wanted another adventure romp through the galaxy, not a horror thriller.
    • Star Trek began going downhill with Voyager. Star Trek after ENT doesn't exist.
    • Avatar is a great film. Amazing aesthetics, great music by James Horner, and the setting is very interesting. The weakest aspect of the film is the story and characters. The first half of the film - when they're trying to negotiate with the deadline looming over their heads - is pretty interesting. The second half of the film - after the corporation decides to go evil and shooting people up - is pretty meh, but the other aspects of the movie make up for it.
    • The MCU isn't good. A handful of MCU films were good, particularly the Captain America movies and the first Thor movie, but otherwise the films are mediocre.
    • Return of the King was the last movie that won an Oscar and rightfully deserved it.
    • Avatar the Last Airbender is overrated. Yes, it's good, but it's not an 8/10 or a 9/10 people hype it up to be. People hype it up to be the best thing ever because they saw it when they were kids/teenagers and didn't know any better. They hadn't yet been exposed to the plethora of anime series that did the same things but better executed, with better writing, pacing, characters, art, animation, and music.
    • Breaking Bad, like most Western television produced after 2000, is pretty mediocre. It's atrociously paced and I have little investment in the story when almost the entire cast is made up of entirely despicable, unlikeable human beings. Only the final season was at least somewhat watchable.
    • Walking Dead was overall pretty mediocre. The first two seasons were pretty awfully paced and I couldn't care less about the characters. Seasons 3 and 4 were somewhat decent but still suffered from pacing and character investment problems. Season 5's intro episode was outstanding but everything after is garbage.
    • Sword Art Online's Aincrad arc is legit good. Rest is pretty meh up until Alicization, where it becomes good-ish again.
    • The Castlevania animated show is bad.
    • RWBY's first two seasons were good. Season 3 was somewhat good-ish. Everything after S3 is awful.

Fury Road is a painfully average action flick, and way too polished to be a good Max Max sequel.
    Get Out is overrated, as is Parasite.
    John Wick movies are pretty much unwatchable.
    I do like how The Sopranos ended, though admittedly it took me a while to come around on that one.
    Tilda Swinton and Eddie Marsan are criminally underrated actors (ok, maybe this isn't so unpopular)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Disagree..very much.
    The tone of the sequels are different from the first movie, which was finished in and of itself.

The 2nd movie changed the message of the first. Neo never had to fight anything in much the same way he no longer had to worry about bullets.
    And flying to save Trinity who was dying? Seriously? Lol just snap the fingers and boom...done. In the matrix, Neo no longer has to play by the rules. He makes them.
    That was a one-and-done movie.

Those sequels were just money grabs that weren't very coherent with the first movie.
    2 and 3 have some great action sequences, but I agree. This flick didn't need any sequels at all.

steven graham is the best actor the UK has ever produced

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    He is indeed a terrific actor and I'm glad he's getting screen-time in bigger films. I first saw him in "This is England", and he was terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Tbh I am not sure how unpopular this is, I think more and more people are coming to realise just how talented he is. I wouldn't agree that he is the UK goat, for me Daniel Day Lewis is (if you can call what he does acting), but I feel your claim is not an unreasonable one to make, the man is terrific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

I liked The Last Jedi. Feel free now to burn me at the stake

South Park is pretty dumb and childish.

(saying this still being a decent fan of it, but I've had some people get super defensive over it. There's a multi-part mini series about a hamster that goes up a man's ass, for goodness sake.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I liked the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie more than the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Agreed on Endgame. I can tell you the entire plot of Infinity War pretty quickly, but Endgame? Nope... just felt silly and disjointed.
    Endgame does not benefits from rewatches, yeah. You quickly see how paper-thin the plot is. "We don't know where Thanos is at all, pls tell us Tony" followed 2 minutes later by "yeah we've known since two days ago that an energy signature only the Stones can produce happened at that particular planet", to say nothing of the numerous time travel shenanigans. It still has enough good moments to be an enjoyable movie, mind, but I also find Infinity War quite superior.

I came back to this thread in part because a friend made me binge (re)watch a couple of popular comedies like Superbad, Dude, where's my Car? and American Pie. And honestly I barely found them funny at all even with alcohol involved which is saying something as I find almost everything hilarious when half drunk. I did greatly enjoy rewatching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure however. So maybe I just prefer light-hearted comedy to the raunchy stuff relying on sex, poop and cringe jokes. I remember watching a couple of Ricky Gervais and Anthony Jeselnik stand-ups with my cousin and roaring with laughter, so it's not like I can't take crass or dark humor. But that sort of comedy just doesn't do it for me at all.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Every single superhero themed movie and tv show is a steaming pile of dog turd

family guy isn't funny

Fierce Creatures is much much MUCH better and funnier movie then Fish called Wanda.

I prefer Iron Man 2 to Iron Man 1 in pretty much every way.

Lost is ridiculously overrated and it has all the same issues that every JJ Abrams production since - interesting premise, questionable execution mostly due to absolutely no idea where to actualy take that premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Some of that is about watching communally vs alone. Some movies are funnier if you’re in a crowd chuckling. Then there’s stuff like the Wire where you can be totally immersed and you’re just telling everyone to shut up.
    That's true. I watched The Hangover in a theater and it was a riot, alone it wouldn't be the same. But then again I was also watching these films while drinking which should equalize things a bit.

But yeah, serious drama movies/series are often better watched alone, much like it's better to play story-driven single player games alone.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I came back to this thread in part because a friend made me binge (re)watch a couple of popular comedies like Superbad, Dude, where's my Car? and American Pie. And honestly I barely found them funny at all even with alcohol involved which is saying something as I find almost everything hilarious when half drunk. I did greatly enjoy rewatching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure however. So maybe I just prefer light-hearted comedy to the raunchy stuff relying on sex, poop and cringe jokes. I remember watching a couple of Ricky Gervais and Anthony Jeselnik stand-ups with my cousin and roaring with laughter, so it's not like I can't take crass or dark humor. But that sort of comedy just doesn't do it for me at all.
    Yeah a lot of the humor of those movies is based on shock value and I could see trying to go back and watch them now when that kind of stuff is much more common and even mostly seen as childish and lazy just would not work. Where as movies like Bill and Ted and far more creative and charming.

Water world was a good movie some of you are too young but I liked it lol