Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Uuna
    Whoa... a flying city! Are you serious?!
    How does it do that?
    Do you live here?
    Come to think of it... do you live ANYwhere?
    I'll let her wise words speak for us all.

People hated garrisons. I don't think more customization options on the same core problem would polish that turd. It does not fit World of Warcraft's open world MMORPG gameplay to have players spend most of their time alone in a small phased box.

To contrast a game where I think POHs worked well, Runescape. The biggest draw of them was being somewhere you'd visit briefly in between adventures to different activities. You've finished woodcutting and want to do agility, teleport to house, deposit woodcutting outfit, withdraw agility outfit, use portal room to teleport closer to agility area, to give a simplified version.

The content was utterly devestated when RS3 decided to add teleports everywhere with no requirements, rendering the transportation element worthless. WoW already has that in the form of the SW/Org portal rooms, flight master's whistle, and overall dense content with minimal travelling.

By contrast, Old School Runescape's housing system maintained the value of the teleports and further emphasized unique draws that bring in other players. Content that you either had to spend very large sums of gold to build in your own house, or simply visit another player's to do, maintaining the social element.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2020-09-29 at 02:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Player housing is just a neat gimmick but usually a waste of development time. Garrisons was a test for player housing and it failed. They could "try again" by making player housing not be so gameplay focused, but it's still a waste of resources that most gamers would rather have in content and player customization; Two of which Blizzard seems to already struggle with adding regularly.

Maybe in a future expansion where they're desperate for new features.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    Imagine caring this much about a virtual apartment in a video game.
    It's the best housing some of us can afford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightforged View Post
    ........ The best analogy is adult Legos.
    Ummmmm, adult Legos are just called Legos.
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Clearly, Housing isn't going to save a failing MMO, that's absolutely true. But it's also very obviously that, when you see every MMO that does have Housing, suddenly devotes a ton of resources towards expanding it? It must be met with some measure of success.
    WOw, the most successful MMO oif all time has no housing and has been more succesful than any MMO with housing.

You want to pay house? Sims --> WoW is massively successful without it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Imagine disregarding a rather popular idea because some don't care about. FFXIV housing is amazing.
    THen go play FFXIV. Wow was massively successful without it and it does not need it. Also a vocal minority does not = rather popular.

Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    Imagine caring this much about a virtual apartment in a video game.
    Imagine caring this much about a virtual sword in a video game

Anyway - Garrisons showed the concept was pretty much dead in the water.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

bruh, blizz already said they will only implement this system when and if it makes sense, and they can do it right. Under Activision daddy, we prolly won't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moneeshotz View Post
    bruh, blizz already said they will only implement this system when and if it makes sense, and they can do it right. Under Activision daddy, we prolly won't see it.
    Again, ACtivision does NOT make game design decisions for Blizzard.Blizzard makes its own decisions.
    Period.

I am always so confused by the "hate" people had for garrisons. I love mine and regularly go back to it, especially now because I have the auction house in it. During WoD I also enjoyed it, however I didn't spend all of my time there. I did the tables, herbed, mined etc and then back to the real world. Heck one of the reasons I struggle to switch mains is because of all the work I put into mine. IT has NPC's walking around, my pets, cool esthetics, love it.

Again, I think were blizzard went wrong was putting so much stuff in it that "had" to be done by people. It burned them out and felt mandatory. If they did the same thing, except instead of material items, gear and gold rewards, it offered an area to showcase collections, it would have been fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Again, ACtivision does NOT make game design decisions for Blizzard.Blizzard makes its own decisions.
    Period.

Perhaps not, but they certainly make budgetary decisions for them.

Lol all these people claiming Garrisons were player housing with their zero customization and placement of objects.
    Have you guys never played a game with housing? Garrison was nothing close to housing.
    ESO and FF14 both have wonderful housing systems. I see WoW using ESOs version where its an instanced area and you can choose different ones as opposed to 14s.
    ESO cities aren't empty. One main reason is AH can't be used in housing. That alone would combat that stupid idea that they would make cities empty.
    Housing Adds
    1. Item reward systems through achievements/old raids/questlines/holiday quests. (Doing these btw you are out in the world)
    2. Item creation systems to crafting skills
    3. Item finding system to archeology (forcing you into the world once again)

It would definitely help keep crafting skills relevant outside of making consumables for raiders. Broadening their use. Make crafting stations for furniture only available in main cities to further appease the "Hurp durp makes people idle away from city hurp durp"

I really don't understand the hate of giving you more to do in a game. That's a weird thought process. I mean the logic "it would take away from mah raid's 4th recolor of object 2" is weird. That's like a poor blizzard business excuse as opposed to an actual argument against housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    I am always so confused by the "hate" people had for garrisons. I love mine and regularly go back to it, especially now because I have the auction house in it. During WoD I also enjoyed it, however I didn't spend all of my time there. I did the tables, herbed, mined etc and then back to the real world. Heck one of the reasons I struggle to switch mains is because of all the work I put into mine. IT has NPC's walking around, my pets, cool esthetics, love it.

Again, I think were blizzard went wrong was putting so much stuff in it that "had" to be done by people. It burned them out and felt mandatory. If they did the same thing, except instead of material items, gear and gold rewards, it offered an area to showcase collections, it would have been fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps not, but they certainly make budgetary decisions for them.
    Blizzard is self autonomous. Activision doesn't make budegtary decisions either. Blizzard makes it's own.

Activision and Blizzard are two separate companies under the same roof.

Yeah, I would really enjoy that. It would add another layer of things to do in the game, and it would be a new community to interact with.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    I really don't understand the hate of giving you more to do in a game. That's a weird thought process. I mean the logic "it would take away from mah raid's 4th recolor of object 2" is weird. That's like a poor blizzard business excuse as opposed to an actual argument against housing.
    Except nobody ever said that. That is you misrepresenting what people actually are saying. What your precious housing takes away is things like Torghast, Raids, dungeons etc. That is where people want the resources being used. Not wasted so you can play house.

Wow was massively successful
    Exactly, Was successful. They need to innovate in the ways players want or it's going to not be the most popular mmo and it will lose out to FFXIV.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

WOw, the most successful MMO oif all time has no housing and has been more succesful than any MMO with housing.

You want to pay house? Sims --> WoW is massively successful without it.

- - - Updated - - -

THen go play FFXIV. Wow was massively successful without it and it does not need it. Also a vocal minority does not = rather popular.
    I'd argue YOU are the vocal minority. In the games where housing is a feature it is hugely popular by the players. Adds to the whole RP in RPG. A place the hero goes to chill out, hang with friends instead of doing laps in Dalaran (Legion was the last expansion I really played) while chatting with guildies or just standing around. And if you don't like it you have the choice not to participate. Can also diversity for crafters and the economy, gold sinks which I'd argue is needed. Just because there is a game out there that focuses on that shouldn't mean every other game shouldn't include it. What a naive opinion. I could say why play WoW when Runescape already has the whole leveling and bosses thing. Put a little thought into your opinions.

Blizzard is self autonomous. Activision doesn't make budegtary decisions either. Blizzard makes it's own.

Activision and Blizzard are two separate companies under the same roof.
    Also fake, you have several current and past employees stating otherwise. Furthered by the fact that Mike Morhaime basically confirmed this fact with his new gaming company and their guiding principals.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

5+ Year Old Account
    If it was meaningful throughout leveling and endgame and through all expansions, yes. And having a strong incentive to use it and leave it and be in the rest of the world.

Having the customizability of housing from The Sims in WoW would be incredible. Let me pick a plot of land and build my own cottage or mansion.

Except nobody ever said that. That is you misrepresenting what people actually are saying. What your precious housing takes away is things like Torghast, Raids, dungeons etc. That is where people want the resources being used. Not wasted so you can play house.

Yeah you missed the point. Claiming it taking away resources has nothing to do with housing. Its like a PVPer complaining they made a raid, or a Raider complaining mythic+ is a thing. Or someone doing dungeons complaining they made a new zone. Doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    adding me to that opinion.

will never get why ppl want that shit. housing is the only thing, when i really would agree to Allen J. Bracks „ You think you want it, but you dont“. imo, if wow would trade off a majority of development, in an xpac, for that stuff, that xpac would become the least selling xpac in history. because everyone would sit in their new cool housing appartment, look around and go like „cool stuff“. then they go out and see „no raids, no dungeons, less to do than WoD“. and thats the moment they go „quit.“. forever.

nah, better keep that time wasting shit out of wow. for my taste even all that new character customization options where a huge waste of time. that arts and design team could do more and better content in that time. i personally give a fuck how unique my char is and if i combined 5 eye brews with 5 bearts or 100 with 100. as long as i have a few options and give my char some drive into the direction my fantasy for this char lies. do not need a trizillion combinations for that.

so, in the end of the day, i appreciate every single minute that has invested into more content and foremost into quality of content. but thats maybe just me.
    Housing is more content its just not content you want. And like pet battles housing would likely have rewards from raids and dungeons getting people back out into doing old content.