Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JavelinJoe View Post
    I read until I saw you suggesting that they could add things to the cash shop then stopped.

It actually boggles my mind how people think its acceptable for a game with an upfront cd key cost, plus a 15 dollar monthly sub, to then triple dip peoples pockets for even more money. Its so fucking greedy and its sad how many people accept it in ANY form. When you're paying $410 every 2 years to play a game you should be entitled to all of the content their devs produce, $410, not $41, $410 for a fucking video game and its still not enough to warrant all the content being avaliable! Fucking NUTS!
    Who made you sole arbiter how how people spend their money? People have the right to spend their money however they want and Blizzard has the right to dowhat ever they want. You are not the sole arbiter of how a game should be run. You don't like that? Don't buy anything. Nothing in the shop is required to play the game.

Also, the devs have absolutely nothing to do with what is in the cash shop. The cash shop stuff is done by a completely different group of people. So, you already are getting all the content the devs are producing in game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    Yeah you missed the point. Claiming it taking away resources has nothing to do with housing. Its like a PVPer complaining they made a raid, or a Raider complaining mythic+ is a thing. Or someone doing dungeons complaining they made a new zone. Doesn't make any sense.
    But it does. WoD is the proof. Look at how much time and resources that took. You want to know why that expansion was so bereft of content. All the time and development went into Garrisons. Hell they had to strip Garrison down when they realized that what they wanted would be far to time consuming to make happen. The same thing would happen with housing. If they devote all their time and budget to player housing, there won't be anything left for other, far superior content. You will then be stuck with another WoD.
    Last edited by rrayy; 2020-09-29 at 12:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Player housing has never been a big deal to me personally, though I wouldn't be necessarily opposed to its addition to WoW. I'd probably favor a Guild Hall type thing over individual player housing, though; if resources were going to be spent on a housing type project. I'd almost always prefer more/better playable content in terms of the game - another raid, dungeon, or leveling-type zone.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    For the amount of money WoW brings in, you're really delusional enough to think they don't have the budget to do more? Have you played any other game? The amount of content WoW produces is horrible compared to most other gaming companies.

It's sad how well trained people are to defend corporations these days.
    THey don't. They are given a budget. It does not matter how much money the game makes. They are given a budget to ensure the game is profitable. If they were given the budget to do more, they would. I don't think you understand what it takes to develop content or how time consuming it is.

I think the most viable option would be if the capitals got a new district with a limited number of non-instanced Guild Halls.

Guilds would get points for mythic+ (based on key level), heroic/mythic raiding and ranked PvP activity. Every month based on the points they gathered the guilds would be evaluated and gain/keep/lose halls.

It would be a bragging right and would also help with recruiting new members.

It's useless I barely use it in FF14 why invest so much time in this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    I really don't get what's so great about player housing. In fact, I don't get what is the use of that. I know people on FFXIV that have better in game houses than their own real life house but I fail to see what they do in there.
    Nothing, just RP most of time I guess. It has no "power" value

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    If you had asked me years ago, I would say that guild housing would work in wow. Today? Not so much. The game aint buildt around guilds any longer and I suspect fewer and fewer uses them actively. Its more about how each player plays now, theres no need to come together for content in the game.

Not saying there aint guilds out there, but its different now. People would be very upset if housing was put in only for 1 person in your guild gets to decide how it looks.
    You'll never clean any "current" mythic raid in a pickup group, maybe only in the last few weeks of a patch... Even most guilds fail to do so. Are we even playing the same game ? You get bored very quickly if you have to rely on pug everytime

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I guess blizzard didnt figure out yet you can make money out of housing.

And just to pult a salt on the wound:
    Not really salt though, didn't wild star die horribly?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Not really salt though, didn't wild star die horribly?
    yea, but there where alot of fun aspects of the game and housing was one of the best. imo.

Quote Originally Posted by vashe9 View Post
    It's useless I barely use it in FF14 why invest so much time in this.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing, just RP most of time I guess. It has no "power" value

- - - Updated - - -

You'll never clean any "current" mythic raid in a pickup group, maybe only in the last few weeks of a patch... Even most guilds fail to do so. Are we even playing the same game ? You get bored very quickly if you have to rely on pug everytime
    and most people dont bother with doing mythic difficulty. Its the same content, only harder. By the looks of it, most people dont bother doing it on the hardest difficulty for many reasons. Most people dont play on hardest setting in most games too.

"Current" content will in that case differ from player to player. Someone who clears content on normal or even LFR might think they have cleared "current" content while those doing HC/Mythic might think otherwise. It really doesnt matter whos right, cause the player gets to decide on his/her own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    I'm just curious what kind of quality solo rp is the target for such stupid feature ? Do you imagine your lvl 999 Titan slayer character plays with barbie dolls inside that cute virtual house ?
    I don't imagine anything. I know people spend thousands of hours decorating their house and I have about zero interest in wasting my time doing so. I used player housing in FFXI and the only thing I had in it were flower pots to grow elemental ore in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I guess blizzard didnt figure out yet you can make money out of housing.

And just to pult a salt on the wound:
    Yeah, link a dead game. Lol that will teach Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by nacixems View Post
    yea, but there where alot of fun aspects of the game and housing was one of the best. imo.
    Maybe, but also showed they had wrong priorities. If they had skipped housing stuff and worked on other more important things maybe it could still be alive... Maybe not, who knows.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Seriously; Blizzard is more than happy to rip-off good ideas, and usually refines them to be even better than the source of inspiration. But for whatever reason, the closest thing to even an *attempt* as housing was the half-assed Garrisons, which offered nearly zero customization of any kind.

The thing that makes this so crazy to me, is that this is SUCH an easy "Win" for Blizzard.

Think about it; they have over FIFTEEN YEARS of ALREADY-EXISTING ASSETS they could use. No, it's not as simple as flipping a switch, but it's a damn good start.

Just like Transmogrifaction, Housing is more than just "the feature itself", but also represents SOMETHING NEW TO DO. People would immediately begin farming for House-items.

Old dungeons and raids? Tradeskills? Archeology? All of these could be sources of house items.

And hell, they could even add more shit to the Cash Shop, provided it isn't the ONLY outlet for cool shit.

Furthermore, Housing is a HUGELY COMPELLING FEATURE FOR MANY GAMERS. No, no everybody cares about Housing. But there are enough that it's clearly a trend for virtually (literally?) every other MMO on the market to have incorporated one.

My personal advice? I'd track down every single person who worked on WildStar's Housing system and hire them on the spot. WildStar may have failed as an MMO, but its Housing system set a new, unprecedented standard for what was possible in a Housing system.

Blizzard could do whatever they want with the details. Maybe it's a solo-instance, or maybe they do "shared settlements" like FFXIV where you also see other players' houses. Maybe each character gets their own house, or maybe it's one per server or even per account. Maybe they're free, or maybe they cost a ton of gold. Maybe they're limited, maybe they're not.

Point is, it would be a truly meaningful feature to the game, and there is no real downside. At worse, "some people won't be into it". Some people aren't into PvP, either, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't support it.

Like I said, above all else, it just gives people shit to DO again. Even if you aren't great at PvP, or maybe you can't Raid often, decorating your place could be a huge motivation to keep playing and maybe branch out into content you ordinarily wouldn't have.
    Maybe because the bad experience blizzard had on wod with garrison
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    This race is an abomination and atrocity. This race doesn't belong in World of Warcraft at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Got ganked by a Vulpera, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Garrisons were unpopular for many reasons, but one very common theme was it killed the open world mmo feeling, with people just spending all their time running around a silly little instanced area with no other players.
    That can be fixed pretty easily with player housing.. just don't include the AH, Mine, Herb Farm, Etc in the house...? People stayed in their garrisons because they had EVERYTHING mechanically in them. Just don't put that in the housing, making it a cosmetic/trophy place and it'd be something for people to do in their spare time like mog farming/etc.

Idk where people can bring up it being a waste of development time when they spent time, money and resources bringing a boring, outdated, incomplete 15year old version of the game back only for people to kill the super easy raid bosses and realize there is literally nothing else to do.
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    And its a HUGE WASTE OF DEVELOPMENT TIME FOR MANY GAMERS. All the other mmos you have mentioned have crashed and burned with the exception of FF. One could argue that they should have spent more time building a compelling and interesting game that functioned correctly, instead of spending countless hours allowing us to hang some pictures in a silly little building.

Garrisons were unpopular for many reasons, but one very common theme was it killed the open world mmo feeling, with people just spending all their time running around a silly little instanced area with no other players.
    Wildstar didnt crash and burn because housing. Infact, housing was one of the few things that kept it alive.

Housing in just about any MMO that implements it ends up being a major feature for said MMO to the extent that it alone keeps many of them going.

Nor does it take much dev time to keep it going after the initial implementation since new updates to the game naturally add to the housing system with new material being made for a patch working for housing on its own. They dont have to go out of their way to make new furniture when they're making new furniture anyway.

There is absolutly no downside to player housing and any argument against it tends to be easily countered by just pointing to other MMO which have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Should also add that if blizzard DOES take time to add housing specific stuff that too is a good thing since they could use said materials for other content too. For example, blizzard has a LOAD of troll themed doodads sitting around because they made a lot early on for vanilla. End result? We kept getting troll content because they already had the material made for them. Another example of that in WotLK they made a lot of half made human/stormwind themed material, which had the misfurtunate consequence that a lot of human settlements afterward were always in the process of being built because house frames were what they had.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

I remember DaoC housing it was golden. I totally agree with OP that it's a missed opportunity. HOWEVER, you should NOT be isolated in an instance of you own house but you should actually live in a neighborhood. Just make the neighborhood change dynamically depending on active accounts or not.

Saying just ignore it is the same flawed logic so many people seem to display. Its the principle that counts. WoW is the most expensive mainstream game in the world to play, purely based on payment made to the company that run it. And you STILL dont get all the content.

I dont think id enjoy player housing, its just not something I enjoy in games, but of course id want it in the game, its a good idea for any MMO, but dont even suggest putting more stuff in the store when every player should be screaming for them to stop selling off game items on the side.
    Doesn't matter if you i like it or not. It will never go away. Cats out of the bag. An wow still has 99,9% ingame and not connected to the shop.
    I am just realistic. That is it.

Also i did not suggest putting anything more int he shop. I don't really like it either. Well i am more ambivalent towards it. Simply because it don't give a shit about these mounts. But player housing IS perfect for bliz to put more stuff into the shop. Has nothign to do with your char. Is only cosmetic and has no effect on gameplay whatsoever. They will do it. And mine or your opinion does not matter.

Btw: FF14 is not cheaper than wow and has way more in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Doesn't matter if you i like it or not. It will never go away. Cats out of the bag. An wow still has 99,9% ingame and not connected to the shop.
    I am just realistic. That is it.

Also i did not suggest putting anything more int he shop. I don't really like it either. Well i am more ambivalent towards it. Simply because it don't give a shit about these mounts. But player housing IS perfect for bliz to put more stuff into the shop. Has nothign to do with your char. Is only cosmetic and has no effect on gameplay whatsoever. They will do it. And mine or your opinion does not matter.

Btw: FF14 is not cheaper than wow and has way more in the shop.
    To be fair the vast majority of the stuff in the FFXIV shop is stuff from past yearly events. Since, FFXIV, unlike WoW, actually adds new stuff to their yearly events and doesnt make said stuff only work during the event.

Likewise the WoW cash shop mounts tend to be a lot more unique than the mounts released to be available to players in game.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    Untrue. 100% false. Cata and WoD had faster power progressions that let you finish content in 3 months instead of the 9 months it took you to farm enough corruptions / resistance and essences to kill mythic N'zoth.

The only mistake of WoD was that Blizzard didn't milk the content for longer by having less gear drop.

I'm calling it right now, in 12-18 months we're gonna see the exact same complaints about Shadowlands.
    "I finished the raids and had nothing to do for 5 months, worst expansion since Cata! Rabble rabble"

- - - Updated - - -

WoD was awesome. Not because of garrisons, but because it had a fun and relaxed design.
    i dont understand how you can deny a factual demostrable statement....

Not sure what you dont understand about the principle that triple dipping peoples pockets is wrong. Not sure what you dont understand about the fact that when you pay upfront cost for access to an expansion, plus 15 dollars a month subscription to play/support future development that they're then putting content they create with that money in another store you need to make another payment for isnt wrong.
    Again who made you arbiter of what is right and wrong? AGagin, it's Blizzard's game and they have the right to do what they want. YOu have the option of not buying anything. Stop trying to dictate how the game should be played.

Did I say that I am? No. So I can ignore all of the first part of your message.
    You didn't say it, but your posts heavily imply it. Your posts are nothing but trying to dictate how the game should be operated and and declaring that anyone who doesn't think like you is wrong and bad. SO, yes you are tryng to be the sole arbiter of how everyone spends their money and how WoW should operate.

Even if this is true, it dosent change the fact that a) artist talent is being taken away from the main team to work on content that requires a third payment to access, and b) artists making unique mounts are using valuable idea's and concepts up that then cannot be done again for in game items.
    Not what is happening. Again, it is two different teams. THat artist was never on the WoW team to begin with. Further, those artists don't just do things for WoW in the cash shop, they do it for other IP's as well. If they weren't doing things for WoW in the cash shop, they would simply be doing the rest of their job which is creating things for the other games and those "unique ideas" would never get into the game in the first place.

Example. They make a 'ghost ram', that ghost ram might look awesome to me, my favorite mount, but now, because they put one in the store, they will never be able to put one that looks like taht in game as a drop.
    THey can put whatever they want in the game. IF they want to add a ghost ram into the game, they can make it a different color, tweak the armor on it, or add armor on it if the first one doesn't have it. There is no such thing as never in this case.

Its greed. I fail to see how you or anyone else cant see that. WoW is a ridiculously expensive game and they triple dip their playerbases pockets in a way that is shameful.
    That is your opinion. Others don't share your opinion. Stop trying to dictate how the game should be and strop demeaning people who don't share your opinion. Your opinion is not fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    To be fair the vast majority of the stuff in the FFXIV shop is stuff from past yearly events. Since, FFXIV, unlike WoW, actually adds new stuff to their yearly events and doesnt make said stuff only work during the event.

Likewise the WoW cash shop mounts tend to be a lot more unique than the mounts released to be available to players in game.
    Really? If you buy everything from the Mogry Station you have a bill of 2600 dollars... that i excluding the whole story skip stuff etc.
    A good chunk of that is housing items.
    And yes. Old season stuff is there too. But only because they make them not obtainable anymore the next year. Great solution and totaly consumer friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Not gonna lie, even as someone who doesn't really farm anything anymore besides raids & dungeons, player housing would get me pretty damn engaged.
    Engaged how? Sitting in your mobile game playing Wow by yourself and decorating?

Yeah, sorry. Housing champion isn't WoW. Go play some mobile games if you want to be engaged with housing. I prefer those dev resources actually going into ways that make WoW better for more people, than just some stupid housing crap that only some people will truly get a level of engagement from, and that number being far lower than the number of dollars spent to achieve what you seek.