Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kukkamies View Post
    Their refund policy annoyed me instead. Had to fill a stupid survey to get the refund, which isn't mentioned anywhere on website of course. It even had a minimum length, so I just padded it with garbage letters. Good thing they accepted it still.
    Boo hoo. It wasnt that long ago that refunds for video games was an impossibility.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

alright,I thought I've heard it all,but now people are actually complaining about GoG putting in maximum effort to make old classics compatible with modern computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    I try to run software on the machine it was made for. I got about 25 pc's here covering a vast range of operating systems ready to use. I do also have a Win10 machine as my daily driver obviously. Just that I don't want good old games on win10. I want my good old games on my good old hardware.

But the point has been made that GoG does not care about retro gamers but targets the mainstream crowd. Point noted.
    Sounsd like you just want to gripe.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I know right! Same as how they ruined roads by making them for cars and not allowing my horse-drawn carriage!
    This
    /thread

Why not? The games are designed for these "legacy systems". It works if I download the original iso's but feels wrong having to resort to piracy for something I own legit.
    GOG are porting games to work on the latest operating system. Not outdated ones

10+ Year Old Account
    I try to run software on the machine it was made for. I got about 25 pc's here covering a vast range of operating systems ready to use. I do also have a Win10 machine as my daily driver obviously. Just that I don't want good old games on win10. I want my good old games on my good old hardware.

But the point has been made that GoG does not care about retro gamers but targets the mainstream crowd. Point noted.
    The original physical releases still exists for grognards who needs it to be on a system that was current when a piece of software initially released, there's nothing being taken away from you by a modern digital re-release being updated to also run for people who do not have a basement full of 25+ computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Boo hoo. It wasnt that long ago that refunds for video games was an impossibility.
    It wasn't ye, and Gog still sucks with them. Last game that's not exclusive to them I'll buy and refund there as Steam and Epic Store are much more consumer friendly.

Buy the original CD or floppies and install them as they were meant to be installed you filthy casual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    aH yes, the Y chromosome, noted summoner of rape demons from the misogyny dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggsy View Post
    I honestly don't know how someone can think that companies are "ruining games" because they want to run operating systems from 20+ years ago. That's like owning a Model T and being pissed that AutoZone doesn't carry parts for it. Like.. really? That's the store's fault and not the person with the dinosaur tech refusing to upgrade because they "like the systems" or w/e? Like this boggles my mind. While we're at it lets demand the world go back to dialup internet because while we're gimping ourselves we might as well go full circle. You literally cannot expect to use those systems for the end of days, eventually nothing will work on them because that's how technology works. Hence the lack of telegraph operators and horse-drawn carriages.

If you want to be a pirate and steal games, by all means, you do you. But don't justify your piracy by saying it's someone else's fault you refuse to upgrade from the bronze age of home computers.

Edit: Saying GoG doesn't care about "retro gamers" is absurd just because you -want- to run them on the original OS's. Most "retro games" are converted to today's OS's so they can, you know, run for the 99% of people who don't own 25 computers for some arbitrary reason.
    Wrong analogy.

You want a Model T ford and expecting it to run on modern fuel (Gas, Petrol,etc). it wont and never will(even with substitutes), which is a direct analogy here to XP trying to run a modernised version of an old game, it wont and never will.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    This makes even less sense.

Does say warcraft 2 substantially change if played in a windows 10 environment? You're ascribing yourself to an extremely niche section of 'retro gamer"
    Playing the game on hardware of the time is pretty damn cool to be fair, and something I prefer to do myself when feasible. I do have my old PC (3770k/GTX970) setup in the living room with countless controller options & more emulators than most people think exist, but it's not the same as grabbing a SNES pad & booting up FF6.

OP, it's back to big boxes for you I'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    This makes even less sense.

Does say warcraft 2 substantially change if played in a windows 10 environment? You're ascribing yourself to an extremely niche section of 'retro gamer"

It does change if you play a game on Windows 10 or Windows 98. Dos5.0 or Dosbox. SNES or Retroarch. The whole feeling is different. And the feeling is half the experience. It is the same reason I love swapping 11 disks in my Amiga500 to play Monkey Island 2 and shrug at loading it through dosbox, the remake or even a Amiga500 with Gotek drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    Playing the game on hardware of the time is pretty damn cool to be fair, and something I prefer to do myself when feasible. I do have my old PC (3770k/GTX970) setup in the living room with countless controller options & more emulators than most people think exist, but it's not the same as grabbing a SNES pad & booting up FF6.

OP, it's back to big boxes for you I'm afraid
    THANK YOU. Someone understands Yea I do have my share of big boxes, just not everything. But playing old games on a nice quality CRT as it was meant to be beats booting it up on a Win10 machine with 32" flatty. The soul is removed

They have to make a living you know.

What you want is extremely niche. I doubt there is an actual market for it
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Lately I tried a whole bunch of GoG games on my Win98SE and XP machines and almost none worked. Seems like they are changing system requirements/dependencies. Anyone else noticed this? I understand they want to make it more compatible with modern machines but they should ADD compatibility not swap it around and break the system it originally was created for. Not buying from them anymore, back the "arr matey" way.
    It's too expensive to maintain support for too many systems. If you want GoG to maintain support of systems that old, you'd have to pay them a lot more money...which you won't do because you'd cry that it costs too much.

The world isn't going to cater to you and your every whim. You need to learn to balance what you would like with the reality of the world around you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)

If you are so retro, then just buy them on good old CDs.

I get what OP is going for,its some kind of retro masochism-ish thing lol,but i dont think you can blame gog for this,their entire shtick is making rly old games work well on modern computers,my guess is that process simply isnt posible to make them perfectly compatible to the old and new...

its like saying the music industry doesnt care about retro music fans because they dont make digital music playable on a phonograph,you are being silly

also as a TRUE retro fan,you should be finding the original games
    Last edited by deenman; 2020-09-29 at 01:48 PM.

It does change if you play a game on Windows 10 or Windows 98. Dos5.0 or Dosbox. SNES or Retroarch. The whole feeling is different. And the feeling is half the experience. It is the same reason I love swapping 11 disks in my Amiga500 to play Monkey Island 2 and shrug at loading it through dosbox, the remake or even a Amiga500 with Gotek drive.
    Surely you have to understand. That if you were GoG's target audience...they'd be bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    If you are so retro, then just buy them on good old CDs.
    this is actualy a rly good point,this dude is a retro traitor by trying to use modern software instead of geting the actual original,also i rly hope hes not using fiber with that modern internet speed

THANK YOU. Someone understands Yea I do have my share of big boxes, just not everything. But playing old games on a nice quality CRT as it was meant to be beats booting it up on a Win10 machine with 32" flatty. The soul is removed
    Yup. I got into the Steam Retroarch beta recently, & as much as I love Retroarch & ALTTP, it's not the same as playing it on a CRT & SNES setup.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    It's too expensive to maintain support for too many systems. If you want GoG to maintain support of systems that old, you'd have to pay them a lot more money...which you won't do because you'd cry that it costs too much.

The world isn't going to cater to you and your every whim. You need to learn to balance what you would like with the reality of the world around you.
    Is it really going to cost "a lot more money" though? The OP is basically asking for unmodified disc rips, with storage sizes in the sub GB range more often than not. I love GoG, but if they could offer both their usual modern-ready downloads along with completely unmodified rips (apart from maybe DRM scraping) then that'd be cool

10+ Year Old Account

You are a very tiny minority, you will survive this injustice somehow for the sake of others who would like to play these games without investing in 25 PCs running ancient crap or spamming VMs.

Also wtf, downloading things from GOG? Buy original floppies and CDs off eBay to experience the real way it's meant to be played, you fake!
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-09-29 at 01:53 PM.

Imagine having a stick up your arse about 'breaking the retro feel' when you download and purchase games from an online store that didn't exist back then =) Go buy the OG games if you want to run them on an OG system. GoG doesn't give a shit about old OS', the ENTIRE point is to bring old games to a playable state on modern machines so people can retro game WITHOUT the need to have 27 computers with various OSs on them. You are being so anal about one aspect while completely ignoring the other.