Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is being demon a condition and there are no demon races?

With all the information that came can we now assume that demonhood is a condition that you become after dealing with fel and demonic magic? So any race can become demon like being undead. And no race is actually demon itsel even the nathrezim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope...there are Demonic Races...Felguards, Imps, Infernals, Shivarra etc....all demonic races, born of fel, not something afflicted with it. I suppose you could call them Fel Races too.

Beings born in the Twisting Nether are natural demons like the Pitlords and the Succubus, and imps.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

it depends i guess, there are races that are probably demon in origin like the annihilan, but there are cases in some races, where if you absorb enough fel energies you could get turned into a demon, like the nathrezim and the eredar

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "Demon" is a term used on Azeroth for the creatures that are native to the Twisting Nether (who are chaotic and tend to traffic in powerful and corrupting Fel magic), but it's not really a precise taxonomy, and it's more a blandishment than a category. The natural demonic races are those born in the Nether: Annihilans, Sayaad, Nathrezim, etc., but a species from another realm like ours can become a demon if they are sufficiently mutated by Fel down to their very souls, linking them to the Twisting Nether in the same way the natural demons are. The Eredar are probably the foremost example of a mortal race who become demonic through Sargeras' powerful Fel magic - but the Satyr, Felblood Elves, and the Ered'ruin (who were once creations of the Titans) are all species turned into demonic variants.

Not all demons are manifestly evil, either - the Observers consider themselves entirely neutral, but are willing to serve anyone who allows them to see new sights and devour different forms of magic. The deeper reaches of the Nether could contain demonic beings wholly unconcerned or uninvolved with the Legion or conflict in the physical universe.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    "Demon" is a term used on Azeroth for the creatures that are native to the Twisting Nether (who are chaotic and tend to traffic in powerful and corrupting Fel magic), but it's not really a precise taxonomy, and it's more a blandishment than a category. The natural demonic races are those born in the Nether: Annihilans, Sayaad, Nathrezim, etc.
    It is looking likely that Nathrezim were not an original demonic race, consuming fel to become demons on purpose (earning them a place in the Nether to gather information/manipulate things there).

Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    It is looking likely that Nathrezim were not an original demonic race, consuming fel to become demons on purpose (earning them a place in the Nether to gather information/manipulate things there).
    It actually from some in-game lore proves that Dreadlords were born of the Shadowlands and are cosmic infiltrators. The document also mentions Sire D to be who they are reporting to.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    Possibly, but until that missive is proven conclusively to refer to the Nathrezim and that the Nathrezim are natives of the Shadowlands, I'll err on the side of established canon for the Nathrezim.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Possibly, but until that missive is proven conclusively to refer to the Nathrezim and that the Nathrezim are natives of the Shadowlands, I'll err on the side of established canon for the Nathrezim.
    Dreadlords did it, all of it lol. I get what you are saying but I have been following some really accurate lore YouTubers that have not been wrong yet lmao.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

3+ Year Old Account
    "Demon" is a term used on Azeroth for the creatures that are native to the Twisting Nether (who are chaotic and tend to traffic in powerful and corrupting Fel magic), but it's not really a precise taxonomy, and it's more a blandishment than a category. The natural demonic races are those born in the Nether: Annihilans, Sayaad, Nathrezim, etc., but a species from another realm like ours can become a demon if they are sufficiently mutated by Fel down to their very souls, linking them to the Twisting Nether in the same way the natural demons are. The Eredar are probably the foremost example of a mortal race who become demonic through Sargeras' powerful Fel magic - but the Satyr, Felblood Elves, and the Ered'ruin (who were once creations of the Titans) are all species turned into demonic variants.

Not all demons are manifestly evil, either - the Observers consider themselves entirely neutral, but are willing to serve anyone who allows them to see new sights and devour different forms of magic. The deeper reaches of the Nether could contain demonic beings wholly unconcerned or uninvolved with the Legion or conflict in the physical universe.
    don't the Sayaad have their own planet and therefore not original demons?
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

3+ Year Old Account
    Or working against the Burning Legion, for that matter. If I'm not mistaken, we don't know where the Aldrachi homeworld is/was located. One could perhaps speculate they were in the Twisting Nether and maybe that allowed them an inherent resistance to the corrupting force of Fel energy, preventing the Legion from converting them. This seems less likely given the seemingly rigid hierarchy of their society, considering the demons' predilection for disorder. But Sargeras proved demons are capable of organization so it isn't far-fetched that the Aldrachi could have been "demons" themselves. And of course as you said "demon" is a blanket term, so we can't necessarily rely on the stereotypical chaotic behavior of demons to describe all of the beings that may fall under the category. Furthermore, considering the Twisting Nether is the in-between formed between the Light and the Void, it is possible that some species born in the Nether could be closer to the realm of Light or Void, causing undoubtedly drastic variation between species depending on location. Of course that's speculation based on the hypothetical that the Light and Void may take up distinct locations in the universe, with the Twisting Nether as the buffer between the two.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2020-09-29 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    With all the information that came can we now assume that demonhood is a condition that you become after dealing with fel and demonic magic? So any race can become demon like being undead. And no race is actually demon itsel even the nathrezim.
    People think that elves with different eye colors are different races so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    don't the Sayaad have their own planet and therefore not original demons?
    There are only rumors about possible origins of the Sayaad, but they appear to be listed as "natural" demons.

I think Legion archaeology hints that Imps may have been turned into demons as well, but I could be remembering wrong. I’d love if that were in fact Grell and originated from the mystery Life Realm.

Illidari Elves and Eredar are demonised versions of their races. Satyr is a fuller version.

There was that one Satyr in Ashenvale I think in Cata who Elune cleanses of being a demon. In most cases though it seems to be a one way street, I can't think of any other beings turned into a demon and then turning back off the top of my head.

3+ Year Old Account
    the Jailors also seem to have originate from Niskara and therefore not originally demons
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

It seems a lot, possibly most demonic races, were races born from other worlds, corrupted to become demons. It's unclear which race, is "the" original demonic race, if any such race exists. Over time, a lot of suspects have dropped off. It's not the Sayaad/succubi. It's not the Dread Lords. It's not the Annihilan/Pit Lords.

Honestly the only two likely suspects left are Imps and Mo'args.

My theory is that it's the Mo'arg. This type of demon includes the Felguards, Gan'args, Brutes and Fel Lords. So they have the most shapes. They also have massive numbers, and are said to be among the first demons the Titans fought.

While it could be an interesting twist if it all started with the most diminutive demon, the imp, that's generally not how it goes in a place like WoW. I think the Felguard works best for holding the banner of Prime Demon.

Also apparently Daglop the Imp mentions a legend that hints at Grell from Azeroth were the first Imps.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2020-09-29 at 08:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    There was that one Satyr in Ashenvale I think in Cata who Elune cleanses of being a demon. In most cases though it seems to be a one way street, I can't think of any other beings turned into a demon and then turning back off the top of my head.
    Avrus Illwhisper in Ashenvale was a Satyr who sought redemption and was turned back into a Night Elf after successfully getting it. Priestess Driana is Aszuna is another Satyr who was restored back into a Night Elf, albeit after her death and in the form of a spirit. Interestingly, Sensiria is an example of a female Night Elf who was transformed into a Succubus as opposed to a Satyr.

Avrus Illwhisper in Ashenvale was a Satyr who sought redemption and was turned back into a Night Elf after successfully getting it. Priestess Driana is Aszuna is another Satyr who was restored back into a Night Elf, albeit after her death and in the form of a spirit. Interestingly, Sensiria is an example of a female Night Elf who was transformed into a Succubus as opposed to a Satyr.
    Weird. I wonder if that was an oversight, oddball choice, or maybe just because Satyr don't have a female model? At least I don't think they ever got one, and they just grabbed a female demon model they did have on hand?