Poll: How do you feel about the goblin model updates(each gender)?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question The goblin model updates. Horrible or a huge improvement?

Blizzard updated the goblin models in 8.2.5. However similar to when they gnomes got their models updated, there is some dissenting opinions as to whether the new models were done properly. I for one feel they ruined the male goblin models, but the females look 110% better than before. So here is a poll since I am curious what y'all think about this.
    Last edited by RayoftheSun; 2020-09-29 at 06:11 PM.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a personal opinion to me. I've enjoyed all the model updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like em and especially now with SL when you can pick face, nose, ears etc all indiviual. You can make some really cute goblins that way now. Mainly talking about females though, havent looked THAT much into males ones. Haha
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    I like em and especially now with SL when you can pick face, nose, ears etc all indiviual. You can make some really cute goblins that way now. Mainly talking about females though, havent looked THAT much into males ones. Haha

Trust me. I know exactly what you are talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    A little late to the party aren't ya?
    Only a patch or two late. And it took goblins 5 expansions to get their models updated.

7+ Year Old Account
    Female goblins look great with their new models

Male goblins lost their unique faces
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RayoftheSun View Post
    Blizzard updated the goblin models in 8.2.5. However similar to when they gnomes got their models updated, there is some dissenting opinions as to whether the new models were done properly. I for one feel they ruined the male goblin models, but the females look 110% better than before. So here is a poll since I am curious what y'all think about this.
    well I secretly like them. however since this is MMO champ I'm gonna say that they are fucking terrible

Didn't even know they got updated, guess I'll have to go take a look.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RayoftheSun View Post
    Only a patch or two late. And it took goblins 5 expansions to get their models updated.
    I mean, i cant really put exactly what it is, maybe just because we can pick specific parts. But the way models look now in SL feels like yet another improvement to them over the 8.2.5 update.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

My issue with the female goblin models is that the faces look way too similar to each other. There is the wrinkle face and the non-wrinkly face. That's it. To me, the non-wrinkle faces are all the same, minus some variations in the makeup color. I know this is true for most races, as mouth height/placement, eye placement, etc. can't be changed for any races, but it really stands out on female gobs. I think this is because goblin face features (mouth, eyes, nose, eyebrows, etc.) take up a larger proportion of their face than other races, making them stand out more. I feel like the older faces had different eye shapes, mouth sizes, cheek bone heights to distinguish them apart a bit more.

I went into the barber after 8.2.5 was released on my female gob, and this was all my initial reaction. The only variation in the different faces is wrinkles or not wrinkles. Otherwise, you're just choosing different color makeup.

That's not to say that the female gob models are bad. I definitely love the updates, and goblin remains my favorite Horde race. But I was a little disappointed that all faces of female goblins look exactly the same now, sans some different makeup color.

Female is pretty good, males got stiffed with their unique faces. The only criticism I have with the female goblins is that their lips are a different shape across the board compared to the original.

I like all the updates. I think they did an especially good job with Goblins. But, they could have had better customization options in Shadowlands, but I'm hoping they'll get more in patches.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

I like the updates but I think the male faces lost their charm a bit because they don't have that scowl or 'demented' look anymore - with the sloping brow tilted over one eye, which gave them a lot of character whether you were an engineer who took too many blasts or zaps, or a crooked swindler or a cunning thief, rogue, dastardly criminal, haphazard inventor, lazy but spirited bomb enthusiast, pirate, etc. they had a more angular and rough around the edges look, and now, while not horrible, they lost that 'transfixed in their endeavors' look and vibe they once had. some of the faces are too rounded and soft, but I do still like them and appreciate that our characters are given time and attention.

I'm more concerned with cosmetics and customization, seeing as they don't have much and what they do have doesn't infuse them with identity or personality nor charm nor lore that would only enrich and diversify and create wonder for us and our toons.

I love the nutty goblins and wish they could be represented like their wc2 and wc3 aesthetics with more emphasis on their toiling inventor, haphazard mechanic, bomb blasting and workshoppy ways, as opposed to the money-grubby coin counter profit obsessed stereotype that should only fit some goblin types but certainly doesn’t define all goblins.

This is a handful of thoughts I came up with to help provide the tool-toting, nuts and bolts and bombs of goblin culture that should be present in customization options so we can choose more explosive and grease monkey features for our green little guys instead of another thread that offers nothing but pimp accessories.

Time for some nuttier and fuller hairstyle options for males. Females have cool, zany hair, and males need some less depressing / 'shock’ing options too.

How about a zapped look, with a bunch of spiky blonde hair as if electrocuted, and singed hair from blasts? Maybe a bandaged head with tufts of hair sprouting through the wraps of cloth? Some styles could include a few frazzled strands hair for the jolted or burnt look?

And for skin, instead of tattoos and war paints and markings, how bout some grease stains, smudges and workshop scars/burns? Not covering the whole face but in a minimal or haphazard way that adds character and story.

Bomb earrings (black orb with fuse) for males and females.

Gear or cog earrings that loop through the ear-pierce, just like how most earrings do in 3-d, but these are gears instead of common loops -and not pressed flat on the ear like the gnome’s cog earring is. Buzz saw blade earrings if going to use the gnome cog earring model.

Screw or bent nail or nut and bolt earring that goes through one side and out the other

A pencil (or quill) or a screwdriver (or wrench) tucked behind the ear!

Resting between the ear and face! Like an inventor pouring over blueprints and jotting down notes, or their lucky mechanic’s tool, ready to grab whenever needed!

Additionally, some nicks and cuts such as a cut lip or workshop scrape across an eye or cheek would provide immersion for the; scoundrelly rogue, scrappy pirate, toiling machine shop inventor, junkyard scavenger, marketplace swindler.

A blind eye or a permanently closed eyelid due to an accident could be cool. Maybe I hi-res eyepatch option or two.

Some higher-pitched voices like the enthusiastic goblins in the wc games!

Not liking the bling idea, I mean it’s fine but it’s kinda obvious and tame. While goblins are depicted as money grubby, the actually likable and memorable goblins aren’t so gaudy. A chunky silver chain that’s actually 3-d and not printed on would be nice. Maybe one just a chain and one with an oversized silver bomb or rocket pendant. I would just use the plain one or none.

As for my above ideas I can really get behind them as they provide originality, story, character, personality and immersion.

Can the goblin heritage armor please have a rocket for their back slot or a barrel of fireworks and explosives?

Copper and/or dull iron/steel versions of jewelry would help fulfill a rustic or more workshoppy or punkish vibe than the blaring gold - which Scrooge McGob types would lean more towards and don’t represent all goblins.

Definitely color variations to help players and characters fulfill their desired fantasy. A dull, metal chain (maybe wrapped around wrist a few times) for a bracelet for a biker/bruiser could be cool.

I like the idea of attaching immersion items to our characters via transmog, perhaps a category of collectible accessories.

Race specific items such as; for goblins; bombs, tools, dynamite/fireworks, coin pouch, Tauren; dream catcher, bones, beads, shells, dwarf; small axe, stein, coin purse, pandaren; kegs and teapots and gourd jugs, a fan, bamboo stalk.

Class and Profession and Civilian specific items such as; Potion bottles, vials, books, scrolls, compass, flower, herb, ammo, coin, treasure, medicine, jewel or reagent pouches, tools, profession and civilian items, lanterns, skulls, small sacks of important items. These sound similar to offhands but these would be collectible race specific or culture appropriate objects (or universal) that are more like decorations to add on to your gear for an extra bit of needed character.

Items could hitch to our sides, waist or belt.

I personally don’t want gaudy, thuggish jewelry, especially if it’s just for sake of saying goblins have bling because gangster or miserly goblins is not how all goblin players nor lots of beloved goblin npc’s are, and honestly I don’t consider bling showcasing the true goblin spirit nor mentality.

A chain or ring may be a good for those whose characters are into money but let’s get off supporting the one-note sleaze, when goblins spanner (hehe!) a range of hard working machine shop artists to bomb blast aficionados to grumpy inventors to lazy beach bums - not all out to make a buck or swindle. Some are just good hearted and love with and have a nack for their ramshackle inventions! So the overly used coin counting villain shouldn’t be their only customization option, it’s too one-note for goblins and for us players who may not play that way. So let’s see if we can get some grease monkey, tool toiling, haphazard and mechanic themes into our options for those who’d appreciate, especially if gold and bling -which honestly limit personality and character more so than enrich- are likely to be a given.

Yeah some are depicted as having a crush on money but honestly what I Ike about goblins are their high energy (the bling makes them look slow and miserly and evil-villain-like), their nutty lifestyle, haphazard ways, their love for machines and affinity towards explosions.

There’s so much to love about goblins other than the mostly overused greedy, banker stereotype. And there’s so much more to showcase their interests, hobbies, profession, character, lifestyle, as in my OP and as other fans have wished for.

So I’m not liking the bling idea, I mean it’s fine but it’s kinda obvious and without much depth for character or player. I think it limits rather than enhances personally and offers little in the way of customization, it makes the goblin look more miserly than he already is which could be what some are going for but honestly we should get a range of attributes not options that enforce an already existing and at times eyerolly gimmick.

While goblins are depicted as money grubby, the actually likable and memorable goblins aren’t so gaudy and one-dimensional. A chunky silver chain that’s actually 3-d and not printed on could be nice, if it’s one of many other well-rounded options to choose from. Otherwise everyone will just be a grimy pimp with none of their own rp nor personality. Shame if all we get is one side of goblinhood when there’s so much potential to enrich our goblins’ character and traits and interests, such as the machine shop wizard, eager bomb tester, scrappy inventor, nutty pirate, and the occasional serious and dutiful engineer, none of whom may care to bejewel themselves.

Maybe one just a plain 3-d chain with no emblems or pendants so we machine shop enthusiasts can wear a shop chain, or a chain with an oversized silver bomb or rocket pendant. I would just use the plain chain or none.

Lots of more flavorful ideas to let us play the dastardly villain, conniving crook, trickster pirate, bamboozling rogue, demolition expert, workshop wiz, marketplace mastermind, dutiful inventor, boomboxin’ blacksmith, engineer with one too many screws loose (or with just enough loose screws!), scrappy rogue, bomb squad member, crash landing tester, or the stereotypical greed ball that exists but I think doesn’t encapsulates goblin nature as a whole nor speaks for all goblins by a long robo-chicken sling shot!

As for my above ideas, I can really get behind them as they provide originality, story, character, personality and immersion, and don’t simply gild the goblin in raunchy gold which only emboldens one single out of many possible goblin personalities.

Additionally, I think one day if when we get normal culture attire, such as; frilly sleeves, long buttondown coats, and fancy vests with potion/wine-flask lined belts for nightborne, and beaded gowns, feathered upper arm bands for Tauren as a few examples, we’ll get unbuttoned Hawaiin shirts and/or sleeveless shirts, goggles/visor in the form of a cool, reflective ski-mask-looking shades - a single wide lens, with neon glowing rim, and of course lightening bolt or rocket decals. Ya know, not epic gear but more civilian and normal outfits our races wear on a daily basis, to wear when relaxing from saving worlds, to visit the town or market in, clothing most npcs are already wearing.

Move away from the one-note, sleazy motifs and let shine the nutty, gadget loving and tool toting, inventive and explosive screwballs that are also strong and for some, the better, defining goblin characteristics. Anyway, my goblins are more into creating and have ingenuity and spirit, one is even a little grumpy yet smart, toiling away in workshop pouring over strained blueprints, and one is even enjoys lazy island life, one is hyper and loves the thrill of inventing cool contraption then setting his inventions lose. None really are obsessed with scheming or gold.

Not really into the forced ‘must be obsessed with money and unfair practices’ sticker that gets slapped into all. Gold or diamond teeth would be the worst, especially when so many suggestions have been given that would enrich and allow the player and character to flourish with their personalities, while bling and gold teeth only enforce an exact and specific type of personality. Maybe one option for those who wish to continue the already severely overused stereotype.

Gazlowe is a breath of fresh air as while he may appreciate funds, his more endearing quality is that he has a big heart and his true passion is inventing and his teammates and making sure they are top notch and taken care of.

Gazlowe has a genuine concern and love for his ragtag teams and would make a better leader (unless galywix ever goes through a character arc) and better represents what it means to be a good hearted goblin while keeping the qualities and traits we’ve come to know and expect. He’s pure goblin portrayal. Spirited, lively, problem solving, eager to jump in there with his fellow goblins and get his hands dirty and face full of soot.

The goblins pictured with gold bracelets, chains, rings and teeth, look more like goons than what a goblin’s range of aesthetics can excitably offer. Decked out in shiny decorations may work for the gaudy or the crooked or the pimp, but for the rest of us big hearted, machine shop toiling, scrappy inventors, nutty bomb enthusiasts and lazy island workshop lugnuts, we the players and our goblin characters would benefit from a range of tried and true goblin aesthetics spannering (hehe!) the range our traits and characteristics and features and personalities that exist within our nutty minds and big hearts.

Less emphasis on gold and sleaze, more identity for us nutty workshoppers please.
    Last edited by dunkl; 2020-09-29 at 07:09 PM.

It feels like pulling teeth trying to make male gobos with a full head of long hair.

They absolutely ruined both of them.

Missed a huge opportunity by not adding Cigar/cigarillo options.

I

As a goblin male main I love new models. Very pretty.

I however am disappointed with lackluster shadowlands customisation expansion which is awfully unimaginative.

Where are my crazy neon-multicolor hairstyles? Grease marks? Gold teeth? Fat bellies? Burn marks? Cyber eyes? Amputated fingers? Cigars and sunglasses? Junkie newyorker tattoos?

Chin shape and nose size? Are you for real?

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    As a goblin male main I love new models. Very pretty.

I however am disappointed with lackluster shadowlands customisation expansion which is awfully unimaginative.

Where are my crazy neon-multicolor hairstyles? Grease marks? Gold teeth? Fat bellies? Burn marks? Cyber eyes? Amputated fingers? Cigars and sunglasses? Junkie newyorker tattoos?

Chin shape and nose size? Are you for real?
    That'd be more work than they've put in for most allied races.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    That'd be more work than they've put in for most allied races.
    Umm what? Crazy hair colour has nothing to do with more work. Grease/burn marks, no different from scars on orcs or tattoos. Golden teeth - jewelry option and sunglasses - you have on some races (circlets on dreanei for example)

The only thing that I listed that would require more work would be a fat belly.

The updates aren't bad or anything, but they will be incomplete until they get gilgoblin options. If dwarves can get wildhammers, then goblins should be able to get gilgoblins.