Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    -snip-
    I think if we set the bar uber low, it's simple a) no gaffes b) didn't lose his cool c) stayed on message.

But on a deeper dive, he got his points across. Could he have been burlier? Sure. But there's a fine line when debating with a lunatic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    *Wheels out John Oliver's "We Got Him Button"* We did it, we definitely caught him in a lie!

Oh, wait. Literally everything he said was provably a lie. As is the literally 10,000 other lies he has said since being elected President. None of that matters. Viewers don't follow up on claims like "The Portland Sheriff endorsed me". They just think it sounds true and go with it. This is the inherent problem of running against someone with zero regard for the truth. Biden spent half the debate just repeating "All of that is a lie", and it provably was, and yet we are still arguing about who won, because Trump has normalized lying to that extent.
    The way the sheriff did it is funny...

https://twitter.com/SheriffReese
    Donald Trump has made my job a hell of a lot harder since he started talking about Portland, but I never thought he'd try to turn my wife against me!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Just watched your presidential debate thing.

I just...wow, what a complete fucking embaresment to the rest of the human race, the whole world is watching you america and we are no longer amused, sort you're shit out.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-09-30 at 12:49 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My take on the debate is best expressed by Doug Schoen. A Fox news political analyst ( democrat, who worked with the Bill Clinton administration ) who will vote for Biden and is no supporter of Trump....

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/firs...ce-doug-schoen

"The first presidential debate between President Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden has concluded. Following the night, the biggest takeaway is that there were no surprises, and nothing happened that will change any attitudes, cause either candidate to gain or lose any votes, or move any undecided voters one way or the other.

Indeed, while the debate was contentious, and at times became personal, it lacked any real substance that could change attitudes in any meaningful way.

Given the level of back-and-forth between the candidates, the substance of the candidates’ answers was often lost and took a back seat to their style of argumentation and command of the room.

Though, in terms of style, in my view, President Trump was the clear winner—Trump was in command of the conversation, in control of the discussion, and if not presidential, certainly more in command.
    "

But Biden did well I think, And Trump failed to express himself well enough on some topics. Both candidates interrupted each other and Trump was the worse about that.

Overall, it was a draw and the winner or loser is going to depend on who you ask.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-09-30 at 12:49 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    After having digested that monstrous shit sandwich, here are my thoughts:

First off, this was the worst debate I have ever seen in my entire life. Period. No other debate even comes close, it was an unmitigated disaster from the start. This falls on the shoulders of Chris Wallace, and although he may be good at asking questions, he's fucking terrible at controlling a room. In the end, there was no moderator, and he failed at his job... badly.

Trump seems to be under the impression that the key to winning a debate, is saying the most words, and soaking up airtime. Sure, that may work in debates with large numbers of people, but not so much when there's only two debaters. It also helps if you have coherent thoughts, and can stop lying and pushing misinformation. Trump pandered to his base, but helped to confirm why moderates should stay the fuck away from him at all costs. Whoever gave him the advice to "be the strongest personality in the room" should be fired. He came across as the drunk dude at the bar who is just looking for a fight, so he goes out of his way to be as offensive as possible.

Biden tried to take the high road, kept getting baited in by Trump's interruptions. In the end, he opted for witty one-liners to retaliate, and some were actually quite good. All the whining about dementia and whatnot have been laid to rest. We can now confirm that was just bullshit that was being pushed by the Trumpsters. So, go back in time to everyone who has said it, and you can confirm who the secret Trumpsters really are. Biden's only job was to show that he was competent, and had his mental faculties... and he passed, albeit not spectacularly.

In the end, Biden was the clear winner, because Trump was just so damn terrible in every facet. Trump secured the white supremacist vote with ease, but they were already voting for him. Anyone who thinks Trump won that debate, is either a white supremacist, an idiot, or both.
    Mostly agreed yes. I think one of the strongest parts of Biden was when he abandoned trying to argue the idiotic shit Trump made up about his son, and refocused the discussion on what actually mattered to the people they're both meant to serve. It seemed to me like he was the only one who even mentioned the American people. Trump has a fragile ego so he cannot do the same, and it shows why he's unfit to lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I think if we set the bar uber low, it's simple a) no gaffes b) didn't lose his cool c) stayed on message.

But on a deeper dive, he got his points across. Could he have been burlier? Sure. But there's a fine line when debating with a lunatic.
    Don't misunderstand, I didn't need him to be measurably different, just a short wish list of a couple points I wish he'd made, and tremendous admiration and respect for the fact that he didn't walk over punch him in his painted, sweaty, bloated, flabby face.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Republicans on twitter are using Twitter Polls like Telemundo to suggest Trump won the debate, what a joke.

The Debate has yet again shown how pathetic, ignorant and deplorable trump supporters are. Called some Trump supporters out that they support a Racist and they cried foul and acted like Snowflakes.

Plenty Trump Supporters are/were silent after the horrible debate performance by Trump and his support of White Supremacist/Right Wing Extremist Hate Groups.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    My take on the debate is best expressed with Doug Schoen. A Fox news political analyst who will vote for Biden and is no supported of Trump....

The first presidential debate between President Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden has concluded. Following the night, the biggest takeaway is that there were no surprises, and nothing happened that will change any attitudes, cause either candidate to gain or lose any votes, or move any undecided voters one way or the other.

Indeed, while the debate was contentious, and at times became personal, it lacked any real substance that could change attitudes in any meaningful way.

Given the level of back-and-forth between the candidates, the substance of the candidates’ answers was often lost and took a back seat to their style of argumentation and command of the room.

Though, in terms of style, in my view, President Trump was the clear winner—Trump was in command of the conversation, in control of the discussion, and if not presidential, certainly more in command.
    Yeah, what is nearly unanimously being called the worst debate that has ever existed, is a win to Trump supporters... no mention of call to arms for white supremicist? No urging his supporters to watch others vote? Let me guess... still not racist? Did Biden urge antifa to be ready?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    Forced myself to sit through that in its entirety, and I hope everyone else did the same. Yes, Trump turned this debate into a national embarrassment and displayed once again how unworthy he is of the office he occupies. But tuning out is not an option here. Force yourself to watch this and realize the stakes. Realize that Trump winning the next election is a realistic option, and just how immensely important it is that he doesn't.

Realize that an American President telling you he may not accept the outcome of the vote, or that the outcome may de delayed for months is the greatest threat to democracy America has faced in 75 years. Vote, make sure others vote. Let the fucking dumpsterfire you watched inspire you to do every single thing you can to end this nightmare.
    Well said.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

My take on the debate is best expressed with Doug Schoen. A Fox news political analyst who will vote for Biden and is no supported of Trump....
    Yet another hit and run post by Ghostpanther who has nearly everyone blocked on these forums.

Shouting over other people is apparently "Winning" What a joke.

Didn't even mention Trumps support of White Supremacist/Right Wing extremist groups.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-09-30 at 12:47 PM.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Shouting over other people is apparently "Winning" What a joke.
    Children screaming at Toys r Us, are controlling the room... lol

Edit: Toys R Us doesn’t exist anymore... shit... it’s like children screaming about toys they see on Amazon? I’m not old...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, if you Simp for a grade school bully, I could see this being the takeaway. Anyone who doesn't drink the kool aid though should be appalled by the behavior last night.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Yeah, what is nearly unanimously being called the worst debate that has ever existed, is a win to Trump supporters... no mention of call to arms for white supremicist? No urging his supporters to watch others vote? Let me guess... still not racist? Did Biden urge antifa to be ready?
    Trump was in "command of the conversation" the way a rabid hyena would be in charge of the conversation, doesn't mean you make it president.

My take on the debate is best expressed with Doug Schoen. A Fox news political analyst who will vote for Biden and is no supporter of Trump....

The first presidential debate between President Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden has concluded. Following the night, the biggest takeaway is that there were no surprises, and nothing happened that will change any attitudes, cause either candidate to gain or lose any votes, or move any undecided voters one way or the other.

But Biden did well I think, And Trump failed to express himself well enough on some topics. Both candidates interrupted each other and Trump was the worse about that.

Overall, it was a draw and the winner or loser is going to depend on who you ask.
    The fact that he and you think Trump was ANYWHERE CLOSE to being the winner, means you didn't watch the fucking debates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    Mostly agreed yes. I think one of the strongest parts of Biden was when he abandoned trying to argue the idiotic shit Trump made up about his son, and refocused the discussion on what actually mattered to the people they're both meant to serve. It seemed to me like he was the only one who even mentioned the American people. Trump has a fragile ego so he cannot do the same, and it shows why he's unfit to lead.
    I’d just like to point out, that this debate has resulted on an influx of people who are not regulars, posting here... and it seems like good people... Sorry to use you as an example, but I think this debate might have got some enthusiasm on the Biden side... even if only because of Trump “controlling the room”...

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Don't misunderstand, I didn't need him to be measurably different, just a short wish list of a couple points I wish he'd made, and tremendous admiration and respect for the fact that he didn't walk over punch him in his painted, sweaty, bloated, flabby face.
    The one other thing I think Biden should've clamped down on was the bit where Trump accused him of using the term 'super predator'. Biden should've also been more pointed on the Green New Deal. It IS a great framework for climate change, but ISN'T Biden's plan. The distinction is key.

[I]The first presidential debate between President Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden has concluded. Following the night, the biggest takeaway is that there were no surprises, and nothing happened that will change any attitudes, cause either candidate to gain or lose any votes, or move any undecided voters one way or the other.
    It's a fairly big surprise when the POTUS tells a group that has been called an 'extremist group with ties to white nationalism' by the fbi to stand by and won't denounce them.

Anyone who takes the view that president trump won the debate because he was in command of the conversation has never heard the phrase, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." They're also an idiot. Given the person works for fox 'no reasonable person takes us seriously is our official legal position' news, that's not surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    The fact that he and you think Trump was ANYWHERE CLOSE to being the winner, means you didn't watch the fucking debates.
    Trump repeated every single post ghost made in this thread, over the last couple of months. From implying Harris runs the show to the military quote that he admitted was misrepresented... but, eye for an eye, so it’s fair for Trump to lie... He was Trump’s target audience...

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Anyone who thinks Trump was a 'clear winner in terms of style' thinks that teenagers are secret geniuses during their rebellion phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Biden should've also been more pointed on the Green New Deal. It IS a great framework for climate change, but ISN'T all of Biden's plan.
    Biden's performance was not amazing but he held his own against the worst president, he definitely should of said what you mentioned.

The distinction is key.
    Distinction is hard for Voters though.