Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Are people really okay with trivial outdoors?

I'm not talking about timeless isle level of mechanic for every mob (though that'd be cool). Im talking about how when i go around doing worldquests, even with catchup gear, mobs just fall over and die in seconds. Forget low risk of dying, I'm never in much risk of even loosing much hp.

It was much more nuanced around wotlk-wod. Classes were powerful, and didn't have large downtime unlike classic. You'd still win dailies without much difficulty, but mobs could still put up some fight, especially if you pulled several. You actually had to be awake and click the proper buttons.
    Isn't that what gaming is about? Do people prefer it this way? Isn't combat in this game part of the fun? I'm genuinely curious, feel free to respond even if you're in favor of this godmode, blizz is seemingly on your side. just please help me understand why.

Editing cuzz a lot of people mentioning doing the zones with quest greens: i did it, qnd ye you're engaged. For a day. Then you get catchup gear and its trivial again. 8.3 zones stays somewhat bearable for longer but only if you Don't m+. If you do, its back to square one fairly early.

I know not everyone care for outdoors and that's ok, no need to force it. But i miss the Timeless Isle model where if you wanted engaging solo areas, you had them, and those that didn't want could just group or stick to the (frankly more rewarding) easy frog farming.

Another edit: I'm mostly talking solo content. Fun outdoor group content is nice but dungeons are just as good for that. What dungeons dont have are engaging (not impossibly hard, just a bit engaging) solo options, which wow used to provide loads of.
    Last edited by Amariw; 2020-10-01 at 03:26 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I am. The 8.3 zones aren’t trivial. That’s how patches work

Yes I am fine with that. When geared and basically the max level mighty hero. I expect to walk around freaking destroying general crap in the world.

As a raider, anything I do outdoors is shit I just wanna get out of the way. Thankfully it always goes really fast as I'm comfortable with my class & usually on the right side of the gear curve.

Speaking more broadly, I think a lot of people are against the idea of failure, yet are also against the idea of putting effort into improving their play. I've seen threads where people were discussing Torghast & how it's seemingly getting easier with less chance of failure & some people just said they don't want to fail. How can you really argue against that, if the content is being designed for everyone across the spectrum? Torghast can have difficulty levels, but the open world can't.

So overall, I can't say I really mind it at all, although it's not from a fear of failure POV, but instead a desire to get that shit done with ASAP.

Yes, because world content at level cap is nothing more than a chore, and making it more challenging won't make it more engaging, it'll just make it more of a chore. Also having recently spent a lot of time playing on a blizz-like WotLK private server, your memory of dailies is very... off.

5+ Year Old Account
    You must be mis-remembering WOTLK. It was during Wrath that outdoor mobs became trivial. From there on each expansion increased the triviality.

Yes, there absolutely has to be "entry level content" that's a guaranteed first step for new or returning players, and a "chill layer" of inevitability for laid back players.

Quote Originally Posted by Amariw View Post
    just please help me understand why.
    Efficiency matters.

So far, 7 ok, 1 not ok.

They have since legion scaled the outdoor world to you to a point. If they scaled all of it though there would be no point in putting any effort into gearing. If Mr Mythic Raider is taking just as long to kill a trashmob as Mr Subs For 1 Week a Patch that would kill any fun in the outdoor world way more than any fun brought by a challenging outdoor world. Blizzard offers plenty of options for challenging content not everything has to be hard especially when hard is very subjective.

"Are people really okay with trivial outdoors?"
    Yes. It's called power creep. Outside of late game zones, the world should be trivial once a certain gear threshold has been obtained. The challenges should remain inside instances like Mythic+ dungeons, raids, and pvp zones & instances. I think this is why we keep getting new zones late into every expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember at the start of BFA there was a HUUUGE uproar because mobs were scaling with ilvl so until 8.1 they were non-trivial. There was a lot of complaining everywhere so I guess not a lot of people like that. As it's been said, you want to feel your character grow in power. If it takes 10 seconds to kill a mob in ilvl 350 and takes 10 seconds to kill the same mob in ilvl 450, why even gear up?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    How you make it NOT trivial? It's open world, you can always trivialize it with group. So increased difficulty would be easy as now, but you would do extra few clicks to invite some randoms on group finder.

Only solution for that is limit players to tune content for specific number of people and difficulty. We call it instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfang View Post
    I remember at the start of BFA there was a HUUUGE uproar because mobs were scaling with ilvl so until 8.1 they were non-trivial. There was a lot of complaining everywhere so I guess not a lot of people like that. As it's been said, you want to feel your character grow in power. If it takes 10 seconds to kill a mob in ilvl 350 and takes 10 seconds to kill the same mob in ilvl 450, why even gear up?
    Basically this...if you can't ever grow in power you've stabbed the one last remaining aspect of RPG left in wow.

It was never not trivial.

OH look. This again.

There is such a thing as different type mobs. Current zones have mixtures of trash, normal and elite mobs. Oldd zones growing easier with power creep is fine,power growth is a part of the genre.

8.3 and Argus says hello for recent examples of zones not being trivial unless very geared. And even then, there are 122 rares posing a challenge.

We have killed some of the most powerful beings in the universe. We are fucking gods, and we should ROFLSTOMP all mundane creatures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes otherwise what's the point of gearing up to get stronger if the same boar that was being an annoyance at the start of the expansion is still going toe to toe with you after having slain Ancient Being X at least 20 times at this point and the expansion is ending?

I mean I remember when they made mobs scale in Legion to make the world "more challenging" and people got really annoyed that the bears in Azsuna were just as strong as the recently introduced Demon Commanders and their agents of the Broken Shore.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just want to get the chores over as quickly as possible. So if the mobs just drop dead at the mere sight of me that's perfectly fine with me.

Yes i'm perfectly fine with it. When you reach endgame the story moves out of the world and into the raids/dungeons. WQs and Dailies themselves are just busy-work implemented to increase playtime of the userbase so that there were things to do outside of just the weekly raids and PvP. It gives a false sense of need because typically these WQs fulfill an also implemented farm mechanic (Artifact Power/Azerite/Anima).

As a result almost everything done in the world at level cap essentially becomes a grind and they learned their lessons from classic/tbc about where the acceptable level of grind was. OP gives the argument that combat is what draws to the game but when you actually stop to think about it, one on one isn't ever really satisfying when you're just hitting some buttons in a rotation. WoW isn't a game like Dark Souls/Batman Arkham series where you can dodge and parry attacks at will and make some satisfying skill play against multiple enemies. In WoW you're stuck with your rotation and what your class design is limited to defensively. If your class physically can't handle 3 mobs then you have to run. So the fun drops pretty quickly when you slay some enemies and then have to eat/drink food to recover before the next one. They also have to design the outdoor stuff to be doable by every class/spec and not all classes are equal utility-wise. So generally speaking they have to make things easy for the grind because if they changed the design to less mobs but harder fights, then some specs probably couldn't handle the fights at all while others breezed through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amariw View Post
    I'm not talking about timeless isle level of mechanic for every mob (though that'd be cool). Im talking about how when i go around doing worldquests, even with catchup gear, mobs just fall over and die in seconds. Forget low risk of dying, I'm never in much risk of even loosing much hp.

It was much more nuanced around wotlk-wod. Classes were powerful, and didn't have large downtime unlike classic. You'd still win dailies without much difficulty, but mobs could still put up some fight, especially if you pulled several. You actually had to be awake and click the proper buttons.
    Isn't that what gaming is about? Do people prefer it this way? Isn't combat in this game part of the fun? I'm genuinely curious, feel free to respond even if you're in favor of this godmode, blizz is seemingly on your side. just please help me understand why.
    Increasing the challenge outdoors must be met with an increase of rewards. I agree that BfA went to far in rewarding people for outdoor content but if the purpose of outdoor content is just to pick up currency then the difficulty should be extremely low.

An undergeared player that doesn't qualify for LFR and won't be picked for mythic dungeons already finds the content difficult because of scaling. A player should see their relative power increase as their gear moves towards LFR level. This is where I think outside gear should cap. An increase in the difficulty from there should get better rewards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro