Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    I don't disagree, but that's not set in stone, or something that can't change. They can require the teams to delay or shorten vacations, if necessary. This is a "all hands on deck" thing for the dev team.

I'm sure they don't prefer to have to be on call during the holidays to babysit the game for the inevitable release hotfixes, but this is all new territory here, because of covid. Bizarrely, a holiday release would probably be easier for them, as they're home anyway. The data center guys are the ones who would be most impacted.
    They've had such bad PR this year, I don't see them wanting to take another hit when employees start complaining about their vacations being cut short or canceled.

Plus, they're still releasing prepatch which kind of points to them thinking they won't be delaying excessively.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Finally, it takes a pandemic to allow blizz to convince Activision to allow them to delay (ok a bit tinfoil hat), but i am so happy with this decision and it will hopefully proove through a finished and polished product that in turn will yield more playtime, enjoyability and ultimatley more subs is the way to go, not get it out asap in the name of greed.

It will be done when its done......................oh how i've missed you old school blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Hmm.. I agree with you to some degree. But I also think that Blizzard have been over-ambitious from the start. Most people were surprised when they originally announced the release date in October. Especially when they did it during the pandemic. Most people were expecting a release in November/December before they released the date. Some were even expecting that they pushed it into 2021. So when Blizzard originally announced the date it was not really because of pressure from the players.

I also think you are being a bit naive when it comes to them not knowing they were behind. No offence. This has been very obvious to a lot of people for a long time now. Many have said that the release date was way to early and they said this months ago. It's not based on "unexpected events". They simply had way too much work ahead of them to ever be able to achieve that date. And yes, I do believe they should have know this months ago. It's a good thing that they delay the release, but they should never have chosen that day to begin with. It was always way too early. I really feel bad for the devs because they have 100 % been pushed into this date against their will. And they are working their asses off to deliever. But they are given completely unrealistic conditions.
    Hmm, maybe they did know.. but for me, it’s less about whether they knew or not... and more about the fact that I just can’t get into the assertion that Blizzard is evil and they’re out to swindle me for my $15, and my $50 biyearly.

If they knew three months ago, and they didn’t tell us... The amount of impact that would have on me as a consumer is abysmal. Literally the worst case scenario is I lose a few vacation days. In the grand scheme of things, that’s nothing.

That is what happens when you spend 6 months in with alpha patch and only ppl with streamer or privilidges peeps gets their hands on it and then you try and cram beta testing to a few months, make it the other way around, the privilidged ppl is the minority and make them have 2 months and then start beta testing longer period of time. then perhaps you wont jump the gun again. bad bad rep for blizzard

Release it when you are done, prefer to wait and be good than being a shit launch. Could have announced sooner though, prolly lots of ppl took days off from work on those dates. Hope you will use the time to lets us do all 4 covenants

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    You mean you can't change it back? Would be no issue at all where I work. (For a bank, in operations)

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    They've had such bad PR this year, I don't see them wanting to take another hit when employees start complaining about their vacations being cut short or canceled.

Plus, they're still releasing prepatch which kind of points to them thinking they won't be delaying excessively.
    Part of the pre-patch. The non-Shadowlands specific part isn't being released - that part is timed to the release, and it's up in the air now. I would bet they don't know for sure.

I'm in the beta. Another month? Sure. Another two? Yes, please. It needs that much time. Depends on what they're doing, like scrapping anything.

I'll keep saying it, they didn't slam on the brakes for another week or two of tweaking and polishing. i expect to see some pretty big changes coming. How soon - and complete - they show up, will give us a better idea of how long this is delayed.

And, while I'm sure heads will roll if it happens, but I'd bet delaying until 2021 isn't completely off the table, either. Holiday events and the new leveling/transmog stuff will keep plenty of players happy until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    They just said they told us as soon as they could. Or is that just lying yet again? Because up until this point they've insisted on telling us that they are infact on schedule. Which is it then? They knew they were behind, and were lying to us about it, OR they magically found out today that they are not on schedule, despite having been up until today?

I'll pass on working on projects like you seem to, where lying is prized above working to make a deadline.
    When was the last time they told us the date was Oct 26? Seriously, have they reiterated the date since they first gave it to us? Which was in... August?

For you to be right, they would have had to been lying when they announced the date in the first place, which is fundamentally absurd.

No, what likely happened is they realized that the completion of certain aspects of the expansion were slipping into yellow or red status. They then likely redoubled efforts to try to keep to the announced date, because no one likes to disappoint their customers. But then they finally hit a point that they realized even with this extra effort it just wasn't going to happen. Someone probably had to make the tough call to get everyone to acknowledge that the date wasn't going to be met. Someone then probably had to convince higher ups that they needed to delay the release and then possibly wait for the green light to communicate this.

As people like to point out, Blizzard is not a small company. A release date doesn't move because one dude makes the call on a whim and 15 mins later you get a blue post.

If you think what I just outlined above qualifies as "lying" to customers... well, you've got a weird and unrealistic expectation of how companies work and what they will communicate to customers. I mean, what would you have had them do? Share their project plans complete with RAG statuses so you can feel fully in the loop? Make a blue post that says "I dunno guys, we're still gunning for Oct 26 but it's going to be tough"? I'm sure that would be well received by the internet.

But if you just NEED Blizzard to be the lying villains that lie, knock yourself out and remain ignorant about how things like this work.

The delay is meaningless and useless.

The extra time will not help them balancing anything, because the systems (covenants, conduits, legendaries, etc) are fundamentally flawed and can’t be balanced.

Just like azerite, corruption, essence in BFA, they are not something you can solve in little extra time. They need to be constantly changed and patched through the entire expansion.

The same goes for bugs etc. There will always be some, no matter how long time and how many players have beta tested it. There will always be and they just need to be hotfixed on live asap. Delaying it few weeks will not make it more polished or better magically.

Lets face the truth: official release is more like an open alpha test nowadays. The earlier it is released and tested by as many players as possible, the faster we can find and fix the bugs.

The delay will achieve nothing and it is an alarming call showing the big problem inside Blizzard.

P.S: Better to release after elections in the US. A new lockdown might help new ppl come to wow

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    While I have no problem with the delay, and in fact applaud it . . .

The covid excuse is absolutely not a thing for software development. In fact beyond the initial delay from switching to work at home (which happened well before the release date for slands was announced) the software industry, including gaming, has been thriving where many other sectors have been throttled.
    Yet they mention it in the post.

Of course it's had an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Part of the pre-patch. The non-Shadowlands specific part - that part is timed to the release, and it's up in the air now. I would bet they don't know for sure.

I'm in the beta. Another month? Sure. Another two? Yes, please. It needs that much time. Depends on what they're doing, like scrapping anything.

I'll keep saying it, they didn't slam on the brakes for another week or two of tweaking and polishing. i expect to see some pretty big changes coming. How soon - and complete - they show up, will give us a better idea of how long this is delayed.

And, while I'm sure heads will roll if it happens, but I'd bet delaying until 2021 isn't completely off the table, either. Holiday events and the new leveling/transmog stuff will keep plenty of players happy until then.
    I'm also in beta, and I think it's great and was honestly quite surprised they delayed. Most of the stuff I found issues with was stuff that could be fixed in the next 3 weeks so /shrug.

And no, I don't think 2021 is on the table, that would probably lead to mass refunds/charge backs honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    The funniest part is the fact that people think this delay will actually make SL Godlike.

It's gonna be unbalanced trash like always LOL.
    Exactly, the delay will not achieve anything.

Good

Would love for it to be released over the Christmas holidays.

I mean yeah, great, take however much time it takes, but at least give us a new date so I can at least attempt to reschedule my vacation that would otherwise be wholly pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    When was the last time they told us the date was Oct 26? Seriously, have they reiterated the date since they first gave it to us? Which was in... August?

For you to be right, they would have had to been lying when they announced the date in the first place, which is fundamentally absurd.

No, what likely happened is they realized that the completion of certain aspects of the expansion were slipping into yellow or red status. They then likely redoubled efforts to try to keep to the announced date, because no one likes to disappoint their customers. But then they finally hit a point that they realized even with this extra effort it just wasn't going to happen. Someone probably had to make the tough call to get everyone to acknowledge that the date wasn't going to be met. Someone then probably had to convince higher ups that they needed to delay the release and then possibly wait for the green light to communicate this.

As people like to point out, Blizzard is not a small company. A release date doesn't move because one dude makes the call on a whim and 15 mins later you get a blue post.

If you think what I just outlined above qualifies as "lying" to customers... well, you've got a weird and unrealistic expectation of how companies work and what they will communicate to customers. I mean, what would you have had them do? Share their project plans complete with RAG statuses so you can feel fully in the loop? Make a blue post that says "I dunno guys, we're still gunning for Oct 26 but it's going to be tough"? I'm sure that would be well received by the internet.

But if you just NEED Blizzard to be the lying villains that lie, knock yourself out and remain ignorant about how things like this work.
    So it's as I thought; refer to my first post. That was just long winded confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

By their own accord in the blue post, everything is "complete" except polish and tuning endgame, right?

Why not release the game as is on the date, with a delay on endgame content.

Release:
    -Normal, heroic, and mythic0 dungeons

Hold raid, Hold rated arena, Hold rated bgs, Hold mythic+

Release random bgs with honor (capped to an extent) to get the base level honor gear, dungeon gear, and horoic/mythic0 gear.
    Hold the upgrades on pvp gear, no pvp currency, etc until the raid releases

That way people can level at a reasonable pace, enjoy the new zones, experiment with covenant abilities

Give a free pass for covenant swapping and soulbind swapping until the raid/rated PVP release

This removes all the mouth frothing lunatics who speed through content, and it prevents you from feeling "behind" for wanting to savor the expansion and not rushing to endgame
    It gives time to tune the endgame stuff with real world player feedback (not just beta feedback) and lets them tune the covenants/soulbinds/conduits/legendaries while not locking you into them until the raid release.

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    Exactly, the delay will not achieve anything.
    Dumbest thing I've read today.
    It will of course achieve something, if they are not releasing it now it means there are core issues that need to be addressed first for it to be acceptable at all. Whether in the end it's something you consider "worth it" of your time or not doesn't mean the game didn't need it.

To talk in your language: Imagine you're forced to play a game you don't like. What do you prefer, a bad game that crashes and lags all the time, or a bad game that works fine?

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Yet they mention it in the post.

Of course it's had an impact.
    But that guy says it didn't, surely he would know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't particularly care about the delay, i am in beta anyways, but the fact they don't have a new date is kind of worrying. I assume it will most likely be 2021 simply because they won't release during christmas time and fuck over raiders for the holidays. Don't see the delay really improving things that much, not what people here are expecting (Oh good they are getting rid of covenants!). Don't think people realize either that means you are stuck with pre patch for awhile, meaning scaling might still be fucked, and thus transmog runs fucked as well as corruption-less endgame.