Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Sucks shit, I booked vacation for the release. Guess i'll try to cancel.. But that's a me problem, I'm glad they are continuing the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiridon View Post
    The release date was forced, then there are killer releases, now it will be interesting to see the initial sales, do they still publish them?
    Show me link proving it was forced.

It wasn't forced. AS for sales, a lot is made in pre-orders so now it will be interesting to see how many of those they have to refund because of their incompetence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beet View Post
    Ah yes a public relations fiasco. That stopped being a thing they worried about years ago dude. Warcraft Reforged was proof of that. Biggest shit show I’ve seen by such a respected company.
    They will worry about it when it affects the bottom line. Warcdraft: Reforged is not the cash cow WoW is. If this causes them to lose money, heads will roll.

Predicted this, basically, last January....

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...9#post52020709

reading this thread is like watching Fox News deny climate change....BFA did not have the exact same message as Shadowlands..."by December 31st"...BFA's was Aug 31st...that's not naysayers making it up...that's Blizzard themselves...there is no way in hell from either a public relations perspective or a product development perspective that Blizzard would put the date at Dec 31st if they had even the remotest hope of releasing Shadowlands by Sept 31st, 2020.

And, for those that can't count Jan 14th to Dec 31st is 14 days less than a year...so rounding up to a year when referring to a potential content draught is reasonable.

And guess what...based on all the things Blizzard said they were going to try and implement in Shadowlands, including the reworking of the entire levelling experience, the lack of specificity regarding the reward mechanisms like AP type systems at Blizzcon and the lack of any whiff of even an F&F Alpha (and all expansions released by Aug 31st had F&F's that started in late January), if they actually manage to release Shadowlands by December 31st, 2020 there will most likely be a significant amount of planned content / system changes dropped.

The reality is that they will most likely not meet their target if they fully implement everything they have claimed they are going to be implementing and you'll see a message from Blizzard about quality being their guiding priority and not releasing before it's ready (which they have done in the past) and concerns about releasing during the holiday season and delay the release to late January / early February.

The above is based on both past practise, history and actual statements from Blizzard (like Dec 31, 2020).

If you think it's coming out any sooner than next December you're an irrational fanboy with their heads stuck you know where like the climate change deniers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    I didn't. I expected Blizzard telling devs to launch expac anyway, no matter how many bugs stay on release.
    Same. Ive posted all over that there was no way Activision would let Blizzard delay the release. Thanks to all the folks tagging me and making me eat my words
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Yea, honestly anyone who thinks they're shooting for 2021 is a bit silly, the fact that they're releasing the prepatch kind of points to only weeks to a month of delay.
    Indeed. The message says they are delaying SL to "later this year". Clearly they intend to keep it in 2020.

There are 9 possible Mon/Tues dates left in 2020, most of which conflict to varying degrees with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. The ultimate decision will come down to how development which is coming, and that's something I'm not privy to. However, I can look at the calendar and see possible conflicts. Based on the little I know (in no particular order within each category) -

3 options seem really bad:
    - 11/2 and 11/9 don't seem plausible. If they were only delaying it a week or two, they'd probably have just said that now.
    - 12/29 would be a disaster. It'd mean they somehow STILL weren't ready but were being forced to release it in 2020 anyway. It'd mean SL is a trainwreck and multiple people would probably get fired. I'm just going to assume this doesn't happen because it would make me sad.

3 options seem bad but possible:
    - 12/22 would be bad. Not a disaster like 12/29, but things would have to have gone seriously wrong for it to take this long. Raiding wouldn't start until mid-January. Release into Christmas isn't ideal for the support folks to fix the inevitable problems, but overall the conflicts aren't terrible compared to others.
    - 12/8 Ugh. Thanksgiving 2 weeks before launch and raiding starting the Tuesday before Christmas makes everyone upset, but its possible.
    - 11/23 Releasing the Tuesday before Thanksgiving means they hate their support staff, but otherwise fine.

3 options seem potentially good:
    - 11/16 would be great. No holidays before, Thanksgiving not until the 2nd week after release, raiding would have almost 4 weeks until Christmas starts. Its the best date IF they can get SL out with just 3 additional weeks. Feels optimistic.
    - 12/15 isn't bad. No big holidays right before, its not so close to the end of the year people assume its a forced-out mess, and Christmas doesn't kick in until the 2nd week after launch. The start of raiding on 12/29 would not make the world-first folks happy.
    - 12/1 is possible. Thanksgiving the week before launch means their developers would hate them, but otherwise it works well.
    Last edited by Wrath-o-matic; 2020-10-02 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath-o-matic View Post
    Indeed. The message says they are delaying SL to "later this year". Clearly they intend to keep it in 2020.

There are 9 possible Mon/Tues dates left in 2020, most of which conflict to varying degrees with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. The ultimate decision will come down to how development which is coming, and that's something I'm not privy to. However, I can look at the calendar and see possible conflicts. Based on the little I know (in no particular order within each category) -

- 11/2 and 11/9 don't seem plausible. If they were only delaying it a week or two, they'd probably have just said that now.
    - 12/29 would be a disaster. It'd mean they somehow STILL weren't ready but were being forced to release it in 2020 anyway. It'd mean SL is a trainwreck and multiple people would probably get fired. I'm just going to assume this doesn't happen because it would make me sad.

- 12/22 would be bad. Not a disaster like 12/29, but things would have to have gone seriously wrong for it to take this long. Raiding wouldn't start until mid-January. Release into Christmas isn't ideal for the support folks to fix the inevitable problems, but overall the conflicts aren't terrible compared to others.
    - 12/8 Ugh. Thanksgiving 2 weeks before launch and raiding starting the Tuesday before Christmas makes everyone upset, but its possible.
    - 11/23 Releasing the Tuesday before Thanksgiving means they hate their support staff, but otherwise fine.

- 11/16 would be great. No holidays before, Thanksgiving not until the 2nd week after release, raiding would have almost 4 weeks until Christmas starts. Its the best date IF they can get SL out with just 3 additional weeks. Feels optimistic.
    - 12/15 isn't bad. No big holidays right before, its not so close to the end of the year people assume its a forced-out mess, and Christmas doesn't kick in until the 2nd week after launch. The start of raiding on 12/29 would not make the world-first folks happy.
    - 12/1 is possible. Thanksgiving the week before launch means their developers would hate them, but otherwise it works well.
    I really think the 17th is most likely date, sure it's only an extra three weeks, but in their post they talk about how they're not really changing leveling, or the story, they are delaying to "tune endgame".

11/16 is probably what they want to aim for, 12/1 is a good alternate if they can't hit 11/16.

Those are probably the most likely dates.

Glad it is delayed, it was clear to all that it wasn't ready. But my problem is, if this is actually because they need more time to balance the game around their new systems, then it is a bad reason, a self-inflicted one that makes no sense. No one wants convoluted systems, keep it simple stupid is a common phrase and it applies here.

Anyway, it is better that the game has been given more time to be ready. But I tell you what, if it is delayed a month, comes out end of November/early December and it is still full of balancing issues and bugs, then holy shit the shit storm will be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    This is good news, but I'm still not fully convinced that it's even possible to make the Covenant system good or balanced even if the game is delayed honestly.
    that's the funniest part of this thread...most cutting Blizzard some slack over the delay assume the delay will make Shadowlands better and/or the best expansion ever etc, etc.

The truth of the matter, since the majority of the multiple MAU systems built into Shadowlands are lipstick on a pig type upgrades to systems implemented in past expansions, is that the expansion is pretty broken at the moment (and since these systems all interact with one another cleaning them up is that much more time consuming because changing one element has so many ripple effects) and what you'll actually get, even with the delay, is a pretty bad game. It will function better but they're not about to scrap and revamp entire aspects of the expansion. They're just trying not to ship a complete embarrassment of an expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvlx View Post
    Why are people like you so combative? Like just take the information and move on, honestly.

Also people saying it wasn't going to be delayed aren't "white knighting" Blizzard, it was based on 15 years of not happening before.
    Actually, TBC was delayed. But it hasn't happened ever since. Until now. heh

Quote Originally Posted by Very rare pepe View Post
    Glad it is delayed, it was clear to all that it wasn't ready. But my problem is, if this is actually because they need more time to balance the game around their new systems, then it is a bad reason, a self-inflicted one that makes no sense. No one wants convoluted systems, keep it simple stupid is a common phrase and it applies here.

Anyway, it is better that the game has been given more time to be ready. But I tell you what, if it is delayed a month, comes out end of November/early December and it is still full of balancing issues and bugs, then holy shit the shit storm will be amazing.
    They literally said they're delaying for end game balancing, not going to be any major changes

This makes me so sad. Can't cancel PTO that I set aside for this now........

They literally said they're delaying for end game balancing, not going to be any major changes
    Well, that's what they said. That doesn't mean it'll end up being what they actually spend their time on.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Again, wrong. Blizzard Entertainment is a subsidiary of Activision-Blizzard. Activision is a subsidiary of Activision-Blizzard. Blizzard's CEO is J. Allen Brack. Activision's CEO is Eric Hirshberg. Two separate companies under one roof by the name of Activision-Blizzard. Hrishberg does not make decisions for Blizzard and Brack doesn't make decisions for Activision.
    And Bobby Kotik, pre-merger CEO of Activision is the CEO of Activision-Blizzard.

Lol this thread is amazing all the crying from people taking weeks of holiday time to play a game, very entertaining. The delay is good for the game and great for the comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I honestly saw it coming when they announced the date to be in October.

I was like "There is no way it is ready then."
    It's not going to be ready even when they do release it. This isn't the old Blizzard we used to know.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    People like this is why MMO-Champ is famous for it's toxicity. This comment is so unbelievably toxic but the mods won't do anything about it simply because this person didn't cuss or name call, even though "white knights" in the game world is a derogatory term.
    Not to mention all the people laughing at folks who took time off that they can't reschedule.

Honestly it's a good thing it got delayed. When I saw the initial release date I immediately thought that's way too early and it's gonna be BFA launch all over again.

I really think the 17th is most likely date, sure it's only an extra three weeks, but in their post they talk about how they're not really changing leveling, or the story, they are delaying to "tune endgame".
    Yeah, I agree with you and SniperCT. I think they *want* to do 11/16-17 if they can, but it might not be possible. 12/15 works great as long as they push the start of raiding back a week to 1/5 and would be a great choice. If they're really close but can't quite make 11/16, then they might do 12/1.

Yeah, I agree with you and SniperCT. I think they *want* to do 11/16-17 if they can, but it might not be possible. 12/15 works great as long as they push the start of raiding back a week to 1/5 and would be a great choice. If they're really close but can't quite make 11/16, then they might do 12/1.
    I really don't see Dec. 15 as an option, that's the week before christmas. Even if there already isn't a bunch of people taking vaca the week of the 22nd, they will be the week after and week after that.

12/1 isn't a good date, but it's the best date in 2020 if they can't hit the 17th.

Would still put progression during the holidays kind of, but it's better than pushing raiding back 5-6 weeks (they will not start raid release the 5th, they're not even all back in the office then)
    Last edited by Onikaroshi; 2020-10-02 at 12:52 AM.