Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I think, just like Legion and BfA - there will be no grind required.

However - just like Legion and BfA - there will be people that go out and kill a million boars to get 10 somethings and then complain about the grind.
    In the context of WoW "required" is usually the abbriviation for "required to be competitive". You didnt need to get Benthic-Gear 8.2 or BiS corruption in 8.3. the consequence was that you were not competetive anymore. If thats no problem for you (and for many people it isn't), then sure, nothing os required.

I think, just like Legion and BfA - there will be no grind required.

However - just like Legion and BfA - there will be people that go out and kill a million boars to get 10 somethings and then complain about the grind.
    Looks at sims. Sees 58% ( roughly there are some .0s in there) comes from secondary sources that need to be grinded.

Checks logs there has never been a kill of mythic znoth without these systems nor previous tiers in bfa without their grinds.

I mean... are you trolling or do you simply do world content exclusively and believe all other forms of content adhere to that?

For the majority of MMO-C that does LFR and pet-battles, it will be like any other expansion - No grind at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    In the context of WoW "required" is usually the abbriviation for "required to be competitive".
    Yes, as I said no grind was required to be competitive unless you were in the top 0.1% of players doing Mythic first runs.

And again - some people still decided to farm a million boars to get an extra 0.01% a few days early, that is their choice - but it was as a matter of fact NOT required.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LostLocket View Post
    Sure I can help by giving you my experience though it is somewhat limited as I haven't properly been on to test conduits this past week or two.

The grind is heavily time gated this time gated this time around in most cases with only conduits being the outliner.

Ap= renowned ( It used to be called anima power but I guess they didn't like ap being the short hand for grinding)
    Pretty basic it fills up the same way AP does currently by doing dungeons, dailies quests,etc Overall I would hazard to guess it will take most players one to three hours of a gameplay a week to cap it depending on playstyle. You need renowned to unlock soulbinds that act as your artifact weapon for the expansion

Conduits = essences: These are the cock of the expansion for a colorful term. So far we don't really know 100% how the methods for acquiring these will be beyond farming the maw. What is the maw you ask? It is the zone that is launching incomplete and is currently empty, dull and realistically exists because they needed a place to put the torghast portal. You will want to be there everyday* to farm boring toothless elites and mobs to get currency to upgrade your conduits. You only ever upgrade your lowest level conduit and that is only after you unlock all of them so your going to be doing this day after day week after week month after month to power up your classes three actual conduits you care about. It is rather annoying that it kicks you out of the zone after a while making you value certain tasks over others.It also doesn't seem to have a catch up mechanic though I hear the idea is you can farm the same content conduits drop from to get higher levels as well... if true it won't be all that painful you will just be running a specific dungeon a hundred times give or take.

Legendary patterns at least on beta drop rather rapidly in mythic+ content or are buyable with honor. So far it looks like you will get the leggo best for your content then simply move on. No one is really expecting this to be a big grind and are comparing it to grinding a rep bar you will randomly complete in a few hours to a few mins depending on the rng of getting your best.

I think that mostly covers it... a lot of farming conduits will depend on if the "EYE OF THE JAILER" resets daily or weekly as that is the method they are using to stop people from powering through the conduit grind and just getting it done and over with.
    This is just simply wrong.

AP doesn't exist, 'Renown' which can be argued is the replacement for AP comes from 2 Weekly Quests. These quests take you 30 minutes - 2 hours depending on how efficient you are and how much you care to get them done as quick as possible. You can obtain 2 Renown a week from 2 quests. If you're behind the curve, you'll then also begin to obtain Renown from other activities such as dungeons, world quests, PvP etc, in order for you to catch up to the curve. Each Renown you earn unlocks something, increased iLvl from World Quests, a new Soulbind, a new floor of Soulbind, a cosmetic, a title, a pet. This is time gated in the sense you can earn 2 a week, it will take players 20 weeks to complete this, no grind can accelerate it. If you're behind you can catch up as mentioned above.

Conduits are similar to Essences yes, however we do know how we'll get them. They come from sources similar to Legendary patterns, reputation, World Quests, renown levels, dungeons, raids, PvP. There is no need to farm the Maw for conduits. The Maw provides an item that can be used to unlock conduits, or upgrade conduits, but is an alternative to simply just getting the conduit - furtherMAW (get it, furthermore? xd) it's likely intended as a catch-up system or a system for alts, or simply a bad luck system where you perhaps don't PvP as much and over time you've built up some Stygia and can instead purchase the conduits you want/upgrade them.

You're limited in the time you can spend in the Maw, currently your Weekly Quests take place in the Maw, as well as some daily quests and your typical end game things, such as rare spawns etc. Whilst in the Maw and doing activities you will be noticed by the Jailer, eventually forcing you out the Maw - this is something that typically takes about 45 minutes a day to do. However you will likely want to do this every day, to obtain Stygia to improve your Torghast runs, and more importantly be able to purchase Sockets.

Daily Quests are massively trimmed down, and rather than quests to go kill a single named mob, you now have slightly longer World Quests but much less of them. Now you'll 4 World Quests per zone that give solid rewards and take 5minutes per quest to do, rather than 25 World Quests that take 30s each and you have to fly/travel through all of them.

Anima Power exists, but don't be fooled in to thinking it's like other 'AP', Anima Power is something you earn through activities to give to your covenant (because your covenant is lacking Anima Power and it's the 'lifeforce' of the Shadowlands), this however only unlocks convenience things and fun activities, for example as you deposit more Anima in to your covenant you unlock the ability to teleport around the zone to key points (Similar to Suramar), rather than mount across half the zone.

Torghast you will need to do 1 or 2 runs a week for power, each is a 6 floor run. On beta I was able to do 18 floor runs in < 25 minutes, whilst the longer you go the quicker each floor is, you'll be able to do your Torghast weekly within 30 minutes without fail. If you're interested in cosmetic rewards, you can spend as long as you want in the Twisting Corridors (18 floor Torghast) to obtain cosmetic rewards, however you get no power benefit from this.

Mythic+ is still the same, do 1 a week for a piece of loot, if you wish to increase the pool of rewards you can select from you do up to 10 a week.

PvP is still the same for conquest, rather than having it's own weekly chest it's now part of the big weekly chest you select 1 item from, there are 3 levels of conquest to earn in a week, each adding an option to the pool of rewards, the most it requires I believe is 850 Conquest which is the same numerically in Shadowlands as it is in BfA.

Overall there's a lot to do but not a lot to do to ensure your character is kept up to date.

It can be kept up to date by simply doing 2 Weekly Quests (1-2 hours), 2 Torghast Runs (1 hour) and some World Quests. Farming Stygia in the Maw for sockets isn't going to be entirely necessary if you're not pushing end-game content heavily.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Anyone else's eyes just start to glaze over halfway through reading about any one of these grind systems? I can't bring myself to actually read a description of them, it's just all bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

This feels like reading a vocab heavy text from a social studies textbook. Words in bold to memorize:

Stygia
    Renown
    Soulbind
    Conduit
    Anima Power

Awful.
    It might sound confusing with lots of buzzwords etc but it's pretty straight forward. Renown you don't need to really think about, just do the 2 quests you get given a week in your covenant.

Soulbind + Conduit are part of the same power system and well I think that's been over complicated for little reason but that doesn't really change much about the grind.

Stygia is a weird currency that is a bit band-aidy and one of the things I think is going to be looked at with the delay, as well as the Maw as a whole.

Anima Power again you don't really need to worry about it or farm it, you'll just get it and speak to an NPC to give it to your covenant.

Yes, as I said no grind was required to be competitive unless you were in the top 0.1% of players doing Mythic first runs.

And again - some people still decided to farm a million boars to get an extra 0.01% a few days early, that is their choice - but it was as a matter of fact NOT required.
    And I am saying you are very wrong Scott that. If you did not bring full BiS Benthic-Gear to guild mythic progress or heroic PUGs, why should I bring you instead of someone who did and is on the same skill level? Same goes for corruption and socket grind in 8.3.

If you are talking about AP grind after all slots in the heart and all armor upgrades were unlocked ok, then I agree with you, if your neck was level 90 or 91 made not much of a difference (at least not so much, that its worth grinding AP for DAYS)

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    And I am saying you are very wrong
    I know what you are saying, and you are one of those who decided to farm a million boars then whinge about the 'grind'.

However - the ONLY grind in BfA was optional, for alliance, to get the Bumblebee mount.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Anyone else's eyes just start to glaze over halfway through reading about any one of these grind systems? I can't bring myself to actually read a description of them, it's just all bullshit.

This feels like reading a vocab heavy text from a social studies textbook. Words in bold to memorize:

Stygia
    Renown
    Soulbind
    Conduit
    Anima Power

Awful.
    Games are meant to be played, not read about. Of course reading the game manual without playing the actual game is boring. You could do the same for every WoW Expansion. The only reason that you probably don't find the words "honor" "heroic dungeon" "Shard" "Gem" and so on boring is because you have played through those expansions already and have the context to make sense of those words, so brain doesnt just skip over them in frustration.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Just off the top of my head:
    8.1: Grind island expeditions to unlock azerite armor tiers
    8.2: Grind Nazjatar dailies for the benthic gem slot lottery, grind 50k honor for blood of the enemy
    8.3: Grind uldum & vale dailies to get corrupted gear & gem slots from horrific visions

Either you're trolling, or you don't consider forced solo content to be a grind.

I know what you are saying, and you are one of those who decided to farm a million boars then whinge about the 'grind'.

However - the ONLY grind in BfA was optional, for alliance, to get the Bumblebee mount.
    And you are wrong again. I never complained about the grind. In fact, I enjoyed and defended it (except for corruption and 8.3 in general).
    And stop with your 100.000 boars to get 000.1% upgrades, you are only embarassing yourself.