Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    I think the saddest thing from Republicans is they think this is about politics. It's not. People are laughing and mocking Trump because he spent months undermining any and all efforts to fight coronavirus and downplaying its severity. That's not politics, that's just harmful disinformation and lying that got people killed.

The fact that they can't see the difference between politics and a deliberate and malicious disinformation campaign that got people killed is not only sad, but frightening.
    Exactly. He's literally said 'it is what it is' about 200,000 people dead. What did they expect to happen when he got it?

10+ Year Old Account
    A few more thoughts.

1) Trump has tried like hell to make the election about anything other than the lethal outbreak he allowed to kill well over 200,000 Americans. He can't do that anymore.

2) DOW Jones futures have been 200 to 400 down since the news broke. The market is a predictive force, and Trump's condition is uncertain.

3) We saw Hope Hicks at the debate. She wasn't wearing a mask.

4) Pence is nowhere near Trump and hasn't been for the last week.

5) Trump mocks people who wear masks -- you saw it in the debate. And his rally crowds boo mask regulations and those who apply them. This strongly implies WH staffers don't wear one either.

6) And finally, the man who said he was the healthiest person to ever run for office, at 70 and obese, now has a disease most likely to kill people 70 and obese. The death rate of such people is well over 200 times the average of all demographics. And Trump doesn't have to actually die for this to ruin his activities for a while. The man who couldn't climb a small hill while the cameras on might just feel so achey you guys that he doesn't get out of bed, or off the toilet, whatever he tweets at 1AM from.

The Party of Trump will need a bit to figure out how best to proceed, especially with Schumer's vote about ending pre-existing conditions being signed off on, recently, by most of the Senators in that party. Team Trump will eventually hand them their talking points and marching orders, but nothing they can be asked to say will magically turn this around. The best they can hope for is a false positive or light symptoms with Trump "only" losing one of the few weeks he has left to regain ground. Anything less than that, and Trump's record becomes 100% failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did we ever find out his brother’s cause of death?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we quarantine his fucking phone too?

A two week break from tweets would be great.

Thing is if he gets really sick, it's not even like they'll tell anyone. It'll get leaked, but won't get any honest answers from them.

The bigger danger is that he's exposed SO MANY people to it. Rallies, staff, the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Can we quarantine his fucking phone too?

A two week break from tweets would be great.
    Nah two weeks of him going crazy will hurt his election chances the nuttier the better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Thing is if he gets really sick, it's not even like they'll tell anyone. It'll get leaked, but won't get any honest answers from them.
    Would be kind of hard hiding the president being hospitalized too many people would know.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Nah two weeks of him going crazy will hurt his election chances the nuttier the better.

- - - Updated - - -

Would be kind of hard hiding the president being hospitalized too many people would know.
    Aye, but I'm more curious as to whether we'll get the truth. They'll spin it every and which way.

It's like in that Christian Bale film, Equilibrium. The leader was dead and they pretender like he'd been a-okay.

The bigger danger is that he's exposed SO MANY people to it. Rallies, staff, the debate.
    Well, here is were things get interesting... if he gets really sick, they'll have to put him into a hospital. He can't contain it then, and I do not believe the White House has an intensive care unit. The flip side is, he'll get the best medical care available, so he will most likely survive. But depending on how his illness progresses, this may cost him the election after all (I was convinced he'd get reelected yesterday).
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

The first lady, Melania Trump, delivered a profanity-laced rant in 2018 about Christmas decorations at the White House. She also mocked the plight of migrant children separated from their parents during a conversation secretly taped by a former aide. https://t.co/bdEMpS2aWg
    https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1...637811712?s=19

War on Christmas anyone?
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    i doubt he will suffer and im pretty sure he'll make a full recovery. regardless of name this is one of the people with lots of money and the best doctors he can get.
    Indeed, even if his rona does get serious, they'd just put him on a breathing machine with a tube down his throat. I'd say that'd shut him up for once, but it'd probably make him rage on social media all the harder while his fat ass lay in bed. So instead I'll just leave it as a deepthroat joke.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Indeed, even if his rona does get serious, they'd just put him on a breathing machine with a tube down his throat. I'd say that'd shut him up for once, but it'd probably make him rage on social media all the harder while his fat ass lay in bed. So instead I'll just leave it as a deepthroat joke.
    They sedate people who are on ventilators. If he gets put on one he won't be able to do anything for however long he needs to be on it.

Or, it's just fake and he miraculously recovers proving that it's just a flu. Conveniently avoiding more debates for the next two weeks...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye, but I'm more curious as to whether we'll get the truth. They'll spin it every and which way.

It's like in that Christian Bale film, Equilibrium. The leader was dead and they pretender like he'd been a-okay.
    Weekend at Donnies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

With Trump we will never know the truth this could be yet another publicity stunt to show how effective his miracle vaccine is.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So let's talk about the Republican Party.

Ho boy, it's fucked.

With polls saying fucking Alaska and South Carolina in play, no really, states Trump barely won are increasingly blue and states Trump won handlly are wandering in that direction. As I keep saying, this dramatically changes how the remaining election will work, with Trump having yet more states he needs to fight for and fewer people/money to do it.

The comments "yeah yeah 2016 the polls etc etc" get raised from time to time, but Clinton was leading Trump by 3 before the election and still won the popular vote bv roughly the same. Trump edged out a few counties to edge out a few states. Biden leads by 7 aggregate and the most recent poll, as in "after the debates" recent, has a much heftier 13-point lead. The current gap makes that approeach far trickier, if possible at all.

But there's a side effect to huffing bleach Trump's woes -- the downballot.

With the RNC signing on to be the Party of Trump, this year more than most, expect people to vote straight ticket. If Trump loses a state, it's 2/3rds likely the GOP loses a Senator. Using napking math instead of, you know, counting actual seats and who's running who's not, it looks like this could drive Democrats to 54. And we've all seen the polls saying Graham and McConnell are threatened -- so is their state.

And Trump is at least distracted for a few days.

Trump could end the Republican Party. Simply by being chosen to run everything and make every decision, do a horrible job, kill 200,000 people and then getting tired of winning.
    Part of me also suspects that the polls are overcorrecting Trump voters to make up for that few points Clinton lost but that was still within the margin of error. People kind of ignore the fact that the polls themselves where overall accurate except the prediction and analyses of those polls was oversimplified.

I'm honestly curious what Trumps own internal polls show more than anything, must be really bad given his outright panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    I think the saddest thing from Republicans is they think this is about politics. It's not. People are laughing and mocking Trump because he spent months undermining any and all efforts to fight coronavirus and downplaying its severity. That's not politics, that's just harmful disinformation and lying that got people killed.

The fact that they can't see the difference between politics and a deliberate and malicious disinformation campaign that got people killed is not only sad, but frightening.
    A lot of politics is telling lies that gets lots of people killed. You might not like it, but it is political. It shouldn't be, but the president made it so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Still they never achieved an absolute majority, which is what this point is about. The Nazis always need willing helpers (i.e.: conservatives) to let them have power. They could never achieve this just on their own.

That's the point: Without enablement of "normal" parties, the Nazis couldn't do shit.

To add to that: Him seizing absolute power (Enabling Act) was deeply undemocratic. So no, the people elected his party to parliament, but not to be the Fuhrer of Germany.
    its basically impossible to achieve an absolute majority under the German system, but the Nazis achieved a vote share that was unprecedented in German politics even to this day.

people might not have elected him to become fuhrer, but it was people and democracy that put a no name failing artist in Austria in to the position where he could seize power, that's the danger, all defence of democracy and the dangers of democracy seem to just split hairs and try to ignore that it was the vehicle of democracy that put them in the position to subvert the system in the first place.

and im not saying we should scrap democracy, all im saying is its a terrible flawed system that is very dangerous but its the best we have come up with compared to all other system, but we should not love or trust it unconditionally or treat it with the almost religious fantasism Americans give it because that leads to people becoming very naive of the dangers.

I prefer presidents who don't get Covid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Or, it's just fake and he miraculously recovers proving that it's just a flu. Conveniently avoiding more debates for the next two weeks...
    He can’t do both... and, as I keep saying, his Florida rally is cancelled... Florida is big...

Edit: Biden literally said he wants all Americans to have the same healthcare as him, during the debates. If Trump suddenly recovers, he proves Biden’s point.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Well, here is were things get interesting... if he gets really sick, they'll have to put him into a hospital. He can't contain it then, and I do not believe the White House has an intensive care unit. The flip side is, he'll get the best medical care available, so he will most likely survive. But depending on how his illness progresses, this may cost him the election after all (I was convinced he'd get reelected yesterday).
    WH has an examination room at the eisenhower executive office building and emergency medical facilities at WH proper. No official IC beds. That being said, it's the prez and with that much oomph behind an idea, it wouldn't take long to convert space into one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..