Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

'Why did you schedule days off to play a video game? LOL'

Been seeing this echoed across the official forums, MMOC, and Wowhead. Let me put some perspective to this one.

To start, I absolutely am okay with Blizzard choosing to delay Shadowlands, it was evident it was lacking some polish. Less straightforward is the reason for choosing October 1st, which some could argue shows they are still more focused on the Shareholder's than players. However, I am not here to give my opinion on either topic.

I am posting because I have seen a variation of the thread title posted throughout the internet in response to people rather upset they cannot get days they scheduled off back. My career changed drastically a year ago into a field I never thought I would be in. This field schedules days off a full year in advanced. You bid based off seniority amongst your coworkers. You can also take individual days in the middle of a year if you have the PTO saved for them and the day has not been bid on.

For Shadowlands I originally was quite lucky. The day after launch was a day off. However, I quickly went to bid on the following 3 days just to secure some extra time. I got one. I had to work hard to secure that day. I have the luxury of being in a position where my PTO is 14 hours granted per month that carries over per month.

People like me have no issue with this schedule change. I can go schedule more days off to relax and do what helps keep me less stressed when the new date is announced. Someone who is much less privileged would not be so lucky. For some people to even be granted a single day off, even in the Western World, is extremely rare. And to have to fight hard for that day and have them change it, in some peoples' opinions, at the last minute, really sours their mood.

TL;DR - Not everyone uses PTO for actual vacations. I use mine for errands and destressing. So instead of lambasting people for being upset they lost valuable time off work for the release, maybe, instead, you should focus looking at a bigger picture to their situation.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    My coworker takes days off to go to watch football matches, don't see how me doing that for my hobby is looked down upon 0o

I haven't seen this at all, not that those people don't exist (definitely had my experiences at work) but I'm surprised you're seeing it on gaming forums.

Really though why do you care that people exist who think this? Especially to the degree that you feel the need to make a post explaining yourself?
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Or you guys can get jobs that dont require you to book days off a year in advances lol.

My work requires 2 weeks notice if I want to book time off.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    I haven't seen this at all, not that those people don't exist (definitely had my experiences at work) but I'm surprised you're seeing it on gaming forums.

Really though why do you care that people exist who think this? Especially to the degree that you feel the need to make a post explaining yourself?
    I am absolutely not explaining myself. I don't need to.

I am hoping at least one person who sees this, and is part of this problem group you somehow have not seen (I don't know how there is even posts in the 9.0 Discussion thread echoing the sentiment), realizes it is oddly rude behavior.

I used to take my holidays for the World Cup/Euro Champs, and basically not use any for 2 years inbetween. I would have taken a few days over launches of expansions.

Those people are mostly teenagers/childish adults who are such adults that think playing video games is for nerds, while writing on forums focused on video games. "I'm so grown up I can't understand why someone would use their vacation to play video games instead of doing adult things".

I think most sensible people understand the people that are upset if their time off from work is "wasted". I personally never take time off to play, but I've taken time off for example to go to a bar which is arguably extremely dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Or you guys can get jobs that dont require you to book days off a year in advances lol.

My work requires 2 weeks notice if I want to book time off.
    And mine requires ~zero days of notice if I don't have a board or management meeting scheduled, what's your point? People have different types of jobs, for example it is quite hard for a surgeon to take time off in short notice if an operation is scheduled.
    Last edited by facefist; 2020-10-02 at 02:23 PM.

This is still 100% your fault my guy that's why people are saying this. If you want to take time off in order to play the game, the absolute worst time to take it off is the day and the week of the release. Why? Games, ESPECIALLY mmos are notorious for being unstable and sometimes just straight up unplayable for the first couple weeks.

If you wanted to play it safe you should have taken off a month after the release date or even later, and you would probably accomplish more in that time because everything will be basically guaranteed to be stable.

Not to even mention in a time with covid. How many games, movies, events, ANYTHING have been delayed because of this crisis?

I get that it's fun to take off work the day of release, I really do because I use to do it all the time. But if you know that's how your PTO works, and you know how video games releases can go, you have no one to blame but yourself, sorry there is just nothing more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    I am absolutely not explaining myself. I don't need to.

I am hoping at least one person who sees this, and is part of this problem group you somehow have not seen (I don't know how there is even posts in the 9.0 Discussion thread echoing the sentiment), realizes it is oddly rude behavior.
    I'm really confused, because the OP is you very clearly explaining yourself... you really can't call it anything else... and while you're saying this as some kind of virtue signal to people who are saying this... I again don't understand why you care or feel its significant enough to feel the need to explain yourself to these people.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    My coworker takes days off to go to watch football matches, don't see how me doing that for my hobby is looked down upon 0o
    It's not looked down upon it's just that you have nothing to complain about when it doesn't go your way because you should know by now how releases work with video games.

Just dismiss them as trolls, because that's what they are.

I didn't!!! In my country we only work 6h a day, so we have a lot of time left to do whatever we want. It means I can play everyday without afecting my work time.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    I again don't understand why you care or feel its significant enough to feel the need to explain yourself to these people.
    Because its shitty behavior that should be called out?

Its not about the people who take time off forr games. Its about the people who want blizzard to release an unfinished product because they took time off. Game releases are notorious for delays and not working on launch. Dont play the surprised pikachu card when it happends. That is all.

Because its shitty behavior that should be called out?
    I believe it's shitty behavior to throw a pissy fit over something you should have saw coming. I don't think anyone on a video game forum is actually making fun of you for taking time off to play a video game. It's that you shouldn't take it off at a time where it is EXTREMELY likely to be delayed/unplayable and then come on here and go "COME ON BLIZZ I TOOK TIME OFF THIS IS BS YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST RELEASED THE BROKEN GAME BECAUSE OF MEEEEEEEE" It's extremely self centered of you guys to act like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Because a few people in a third world country still think that computer games are worse than watching TV and cause violence, while on TV every curseword is censored but somehow it is ok to watch Rambo who almost causes genocide worthy destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    I believe it's shitty behavior to throw a pissy fit over something you should have saw coming. I don't think anyone on a video game forum is actually making fun of you for taking time off to play a video game. It's that you shouldn't take it off at a time where it is EXTREMELY likely to be delayed/unplayable and then come on here and go "COME ON BLIZZ I TOOK TIME OFF THIS IS BS YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST RELEASED THE BROKEN GAME BECAUSE OF MEEEEEEEE" It's extremely self centered of you guys to act like this.
    I think you need to chill, you're taking this thread a bit too seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    I... didn't though? Where did I do that?

It's my PTO time to use however I want. It's not like we can really go on vacations right now anyway. Besides, if I don't use some PTO before the end of the year, I'll overcap and lose it, lol.

I'll probably keep PTO days scheduled how they were and then take even more time off when the game actually does come out.

I... didn't though? Where did I do that?
    Not saying you specifically, just saying the people who are being told the statement that is in the title of your post, are the ones saying this. When you see someone being told they shouldn't have taken time off for this, it's specifically because they are complaining about the game being delayed because they took time off for release.