Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Or you guys can get jobs that dont require you to book days off a year in advances lol.

My work requires 2 weeks notice if I want to book time off.
    I bet it's much easier when you're flipping burgers, the rest of us isn't so replaceable, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Because its shitty behavior that should be called out?
    Seems very masturbatory if I'm being honest, posting on a forum where people are obviously gonna rabble rabble around this... just to try and call out people who really don't care about you explaining yourself in this way and are probably not reading this thread in the first place.

Oh well.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    I believe it's shitty behavior to throw a pissy fit over something you should have saw coming. I don't think anyone on a video game forum is actually making fun of you for taking time off to play a video game. It's that you shouldn't take it off at a time where it is EXTREMELY likely to be delayed/unplayable and then come on here and go "COME ON BLIZZ I TOOK TIME OFF THIS IS BS YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST RELEASED THE BROKEN GAME BECAUSE OF MEEEEEEEE" It's extremely self centered of you guys to act like this.
    EXTREMELY likely my ass. When there was never a single wow expansion (that had a set date) delayed and the game director said that they would not delay it. Additionally the release date and the game directors statement were not made prior to Covid, it was announced on the 27.08 (iirc, I cant find the original source, it was deleted, but the first posts mentioning it start at the 27.08). And even later we were re-assured.

While you should not cry about it, because things like that can happen, but you are just throwing hyperboles around like a madman.

I admit that I can't imagine taking off just to play a game, but as people have pointed out, its their hobby, so I can understand that. Its the folks saying their vacation is ruined (or the people who are ONLY playing for their vacation) I don't quite follow, even with the covid, I could think of plenty of ways to still spend that time.

I took 5 weeks off to play WoW - because what else will I use my huge bank of leave for ?

If I was healthy enough to actually have a life I'd not even be playing WoW.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Holiday is holiday, I've used it for more basic reasons (like catching up on sleep) so I hardly care about what randos think about me using it for video game launches.

Most people complaining about wasted holiday aren't really pitching it as a Blizzard responsibility, just venting about the situation. I know many people that don't have the flexibility I do with cancelling and booking holiday so they have my sympathies.

If you had followed the development closely you'd see that a possible delay was imminent. I didn't even expect the delay to happen but I would not have taken the risk to take my vacation days at launch if I were to be interested. And we have this COVID-19 situation where basically everything gets either pushed back or cancelled. It sucks to those that can't move their vacations but I'd say that you could have seen this coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't fault Blizzard for delaying the release date. Don't expect PTO grievances blaming Blizzard to be taken seriously. Historically, launch weeks have never been the best to take time off. It's Halloween week so there's that to look forward to.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2020-10-02 at 02:40 PM.

There is nothing wrong with using PTO to play a video game. It's your PTO, use it how you want. It's the people who cry and say "I scheduled PTO for this and now it is wasted/ruined!" that are being made fun of. And they should be, because you are being a whiney bitch. Are you that pathetic that your life consists of working and playing a single video game? You have (from my reading) 3-7 days that you are getting paid to stay the fuck at home. Use this time to enjoy not having to put up with the idiots at your job. I am sure you can find something else to do with your free time.

All the "you" that I used is not targeted at the OP or anyone else. It is the "general you".

This is definitely priveledged whining going on. So forgive me for not having a bleeding heart for these people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its perfectly fine to take off work for a game, but for one thats worth it, not wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Another question is why people feel the need to share their holiday plans to strangers. Kinda like how vegans always tell you they're vegan. Nobody cares.

I wonder if the people who take 1-2 vacation weeks during expansion releases are the same people who complain there's nothing to do in the game.

Oh, back in 2016 I used my 25 yearly vacation days and took each Friday off for half a year. Was pretty chill.
    Last edited by Asrialol; 2020-10-02 at 02:44 PM.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    EXTREMELY likely my ass. When there was never a single wow expansion (that had a set date) delayed and the game director said that they would not delay it. Additionally the release date and the game directors statement were not made prior to Covid, it was announced on the 27.08 (iirc, I cant find the original source, it was deleted, but the first posts mentioning it start at the 27.08). And even later we were re-assured.

While you should not cry about it, because things like that can happen, but you are just throwing hyperboles around like a madman.

The Burning Crusade. Director never mentioned delaying SL but they had up to the end of year to launch, giving them room to delay. We're still in a pandemic but I doubt that's what changed their plans save for Blizzcon.

This is still 100% your fault my guy that's why people are saying this. If you want to take time off in order to play the game, the absolute worst time to take it off is the day and the week of the release. Why? Games, ESPECIALLY mmos are notorious for being unstable and sometimes just straight up unplayable for the first couple weeks.

If you wanted to play it safe you should have taken off a month after the release date or even later, and you would probably accomplish more in that time because everything will be basically guaranteed to be stable.

Not to even mention in a time with covid. How many games, movies, events, ANYTHING have been delayed because of this crisis?

I get that it's fun to take off work the day of release, I really do because I use to do it all the time. But if you know that's how your PTO works, and you know how video games releases can go, you have no one to blame but yourself, sorry there is just nothing more to it.
    I'm not sure how it's 100% the fault of the individual for expecting a company to hit a target date and planning for that, particularly given that they've done this seven times in the past without missing the date. And in those seven times in the past, the game was stable and playable at release (now D3 is a completely different story, but we're talking specifically about WoW here). Blizzard's obviously allowed to delay, but individuals are also allowed to feel disappointed and inconvenienced when that delay disrupts plans.

For instance, I have two groups I'll be playing with. One is my Alliance raid. One is a Horde friend group that includes my spouse. Either I can take time off to accommodate for both groups, or I can avoid taking PTO and then choose which group I'll spend time with. Given that PTO is a resource I can expend to do both, I want to expend it. If I no longer have that resource for the launch (I have more PTO, it's just a matter of whether the days are available to take), then I'll have to pick one group over the other. Having to prioritize one thing over another is not an uncommon occurrence in life, and I'll prioritize however I see fit if that happens, but it sounds to me like you're saying that since this is an MMO, I shouldn't have even tried to get the time off, and I'm to blame for Blizzard's decisions. Blizzard is to blame for the delay. I'm to blame for how I react to the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    I used to take my holidays for the World Cup/Euro Champs, and basically not use any for 2 years inbetween. I would have taken a few days over launches of expansions.
    People spending their holidays on football. Society is fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I took 5 weeks off to play WoW - because what else will I use my huge bank of leave for ?

If I was healthy enough to actually have a life I'd not even be playing WoW.
    Dang, what kind of job do you work where you can take 5 weeks off like that?

Its a struggle for me to take 1 full week off with how my job works. If I could take 5 weeks off without any issues I'd question why they even needed me on staff.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

This is still 100% your fault my guy that's why people are saying this. If you want to take time off in order to play the game, the absolute worst time to take it off is the day and the week of the release. Why? Games, ESPECIALLY mmos are notorious for being unstable and sometimes just straight up unplayable for the first couple weeks.

If you wanted to play it safe you should have taken off a month after the release date or even later, and you would probably accomplish more in that time because everything will be basically guaranteed to be stable.

Not to even mention in a time with covid. How many games, movies, events, ANYTHING have been delayed because of this crisis?

I get that it's fun to take off work the day of release, I really do because I use to do it all the time. But if you know that's how your PTO works, and you know how video games releases can go, you have no one to blame but yourself, sorry there is just nothing more to it.
    How is it their fault for a game changing dates?
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

I've been playing WoW since before TBC launched and this was the first year I've even been in a situation where I could take time off work and stay home during an expansion launch, so I was excited to be playing at midnight on launch for once.

I'm still glad that they delayed if they feel it's necessary, but I wish they'd given a new release date so I could at the very least attempt to reschedule my vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

I too have to plan my yearly vacation in november or december.
    Off of 28 days, i can keep 3 for flexible use. These 3 days though, I need to plan at the beginning of q3 every year.

I was lucky for wod and legion release regarding my vacation. This time the release would have been amidst a block for 4 12-hour shifts. I would have had a hard time trying to trade those shifts with my fellow employees.

Now, with the delayed release, I may be lucky enough to get 2 days off, if the new release date is being announced early enough for me to react.
    Or, better, if the expansion would release in mid December, I could be just be lucky enough for it to hit my random vacation, which was initially planned for Christmas shopping.

Best case scenario would be a jan/feb 21 release for me, as I then could take a week vacation.

I've always taken the following Friday and Monday off after x-pac launches to have an extended weekend to get as far through leveling as I could. But I've always been more of a dungeon/raiding kind of person, so getting to the max lvl to do the harder versions of those is worth taking a day or two extra of planned time off for. WoW can be used as an escape. And oddly enough, something about taking those days then getting to play makes it feel different. A mental thing, but I rather enjoy it.

I do hate that people can't get their time back or at least shift them to other days...to find some kind of bright side to it, they can try enjoying pre-patch on those days.

Quote Originally Posted by LeifErikson View Post
    People spending their holidays on football. Society is fucked up.
    What are you talking about, football and WoW are the best 2 reasons to take vacations. In fact, I only spent my days on those 2 things the last 10 years. Either flying to UK and watching some premier league games (buying ~200 quid tickets from scalpers) or taking a few days to play the newest WoW expansion. I took more "regular" vacations before, I've been to about 20 countries, but football and WoW are just a better way to spend my free time.