Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quite frankly, there are a few people that truly deserve it and I don't say injections and ceremonies - good ol' noose. Talking about people like Breivik - unthinkable how that cunt still gets to walk the Earth. I hear he writes a book too, ain't that cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Quite frankly, there are a few people that truly deserve it and I don't say injections and ceremonies - good ol' noose. Talking about people like Breivik - unthinkable how that cunt still gets to walk the Earth. I hear he writes a book too, ain't that cute.
    Breivik wants to be a martyr. Worst thing you can do to him is to discredit him as mentally ill, he wants to be taken seriously and this way he will go down in history as just another lunatic terrorist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Breivik wants to be a martyr. Worst thing you can do to him is to discredit him as mentally ill, he wants to be taken seriously and this way he will go down in history as just another lunatic terrorist.
    He already went down in history as another lunatic terrorist. Hanging him would change jack shit to that status.

I find it infuriating that he has his cost, carefree life now and even plans to cash in on his extremist book that might inspire other morons.

Executions also get botched a lot and it is fuuuuucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    He already went down in history as another lunatic terrorist. Hanging him would change jack shit to that status.

I find it infuriating that he has his cost, carefree life now and even plans to cash in on his extremist book that might inspire other morons.
    Personally I think that life in prison is much more harsh, especially if you are young - human mind is not built for that, we are social creatures. But there is a but - not the way he is spending his days - but in real solitary cell, not the Norway's version of cheap motel, with a fucking game console to boot.
    I believe in their idea of rehabilitation, but we all know Breivik is never going to be rehabilitated nor will he ever leave the prison (unless Norwegian judiciary goes full retard), so why even bother with providing amenities for him? For Breivik only punishment remains so stick him in the cell, feed him, throw some books and forget about his existence. Oh, and no dumb shit like he pulled when he sued the state for not giving him more stuff (newer console was one of those things xD).

If he goes mad? Well, tough shit, that is your punishment for being a mass murderer of children.
    Last edited by Easo; 2020-10-02 at 07:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Isnt it way cheaper with firing squad?
    I believe most of the costs are indirect.

Firing squad has never failed to kill someone though, and death is probably instantaneous even if it sounds more "barbaric" than the lethal injection. Hanging too, is instantaneous when done properly.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Executions are expensive because we make them expensive.

There are quite a few easy solutions to that “problem”.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Executions are expensive because we make them expensive.

There are quite a few easy solutions to that “problem”.
    This is what I think of literally every time it comes up. Not sure what's not to understand about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    At leasst now you are openly admitting it's about revenge instead of justice. I guess that's progress.
    Retributive justice is justice. There's nothing philosophically illegitimate about demands for retribution as punishment for wrongs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    This is what I think of literally every time it comes up. Not sure what's not to understand about this.
    It's quite the trick on the part of the advocates against capital punishment, isn't it? They use every lever of the legal apparatus possible to make capital punishment as difficult and expensive as possible, then turn around and use the cost of it as an argument against capital punishment.

I don't object to people using every legal instrument at their disposal to advocate for their positions and push them, but to use expenses that they created as an argument is pretty ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I believe most of the costs are indirect.

Firing squad has never failed to kill someone though, and death is probably instantaneous even if it sounds more "barbaric" than the lethal injection. Hanging too, is instantaneous when done properly.
    Personally, if I'm ever to be executed, I'd vastly prefer a firing squad to lethal injection as the means of my end. If you're going to kill a man, dressing it up as a medical procedure and sterilizing it as much as possible is a cruel joke, a pathetic middle ground between wanting someone dead and being unwilling to acknowledge exactly what you're doing. If you're going to kill a man, at least look him in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post

It's quite the trick on the part of the advocates against capital punishment, isn't it? They use every lever of the legal apparatus possible to make capital punishment as difficult and expensive as possible, then turn around and use the cost of it as an argument against capital punishment.

I don't object to people using every legal instrument at their disposal to advocate for their positions and push them, but to use expenses that they created as an argument is pretty ridiculous.
    Those "expenses" aren't there to make it more difficult to execute the guilty. They are there to make it more difficult to execute the wrongfully convicted.

Those "expenses" aren't there to make it more difficult to execute the guilty. They are there to make it more difficult to execute the wrongfully convicted.
    This is at best a partial truth - large sums of money are spent on appeals for individuals for whom no one actually disputes their guilt. If the only actual objection was that the standard of evidence should be higher for capital cases, we would be able to come to a compromise pretty swiftly.

This is at best a partial truth - large sums of money are spent on appeals for individuals for whom no one actually disputes their guilt. If the only actual objection was that the standard of evidence should be higher for capital cases, we would be able to come to a compromise pretty swiftly.
    https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/costs
    Why is the death penalty so expensive?

Legal costs: Almost all people who face the death penalty cannot afford their own attorney. The state must assign public defenders or court-appointed lawyers to represent them (the accepted practice is to assign two lawyers), and pay for the costs of the prosecution as well.

Pre-trial costs: Capital cases are far more complicated than non-capital cases and take longer to go to trial. Experts will probably be needed on forensic evidence, mental health, and the background and life history of the defendant. County taxpayers pick up the costs of added security and longer pre-trial detention.

Jury selection: Because of the need to question jurors thoroughly on their views about the death penalty, jury selection in capital cases is much more time consuming and expensive.

Trial: Death-penalty trials can last more than four times longer than non-capital trials, requiring juror and attorney compensation, in addition to court personnel and other related costs.

Incarceration: Most death rows involve solitary confinement in a special facility. These require more security and other accommodations as the prisoners are kept for 23 hours a day in their cells.

Appeals:To minimize mistakes, every prisoner is entitled to a series of appeals. The costs are borne at taxpayers’ expense. These appeals are essential because some inmates have come within hours of execution before evidence was uncovered proving their innocence.
    See how all those bolded things happen before the conviction?
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-10-03 at 03:04 PM.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/costs

See how all those bolded things happen before the conviction?
    Yes, I'm aware that K Street legal organizations say that all of the legal spending is totally necessary. No, I don't buy that this is actually just a brute fact about how the world works. That tons of money are spent up front fails to refute that tons of money are also spent on appeals, including cases where there's no real question about the actual crime committed.

Yes, I'm aware that K Street legal organizations say that all of the legal spending is totally necessary. No, I don't buy that this is actually just a brute fact about how the world works. That tons of money are spent up front fails to refute that tons of money are also spent on appeals, including cases where there's no real question about the actual crime committed.
    The single largest expense is the first trial.

Similar tactic when a program gets defunded and opponents of said program say it doesn't work.