Poll: If Aliens seeded earth does that mean Earth and Humans are their property?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If an alien species seeded Earth along with all life on it...?

(Assuming they could PROVE it!)
    If an alien species seeded Earth along with all life on it would Earth and everything on it legally become their property?

I am going to say No, but Technically Maybe
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, if there was a civilization out there capable of interstellar travel and with the technology to create life, I would think they'd be far ahead of notions like property

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I mean, if there was a civilization out there capable of interstellar travel and with the technology to create life, I would think they'd be far ahead of notions like property
    Well true but often many civilizations have vastly different ideas about all kinds of definitions, like treaty's contracts, what constitutes an equal and fair trade.

7+ Year Old Account
    We are the intergalactic soylet green.

Depends on their ability to enforce their right to property. Nothing exists under ownership by default, all ownership is a matter of claim and protection.

If someone has the power or ability to make you their property and uses it as such; you would be property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Depends on their ability to enforce their right to property. Nothing exists under ownership by default, all ownership is a matter of claim and protection.

If someone has the power or ability to make you their property and uses it as such; you would be property.
    Pretty well reason and logical position. However if they have interstellar travel and can seed a planet like a farmer grows a field couldn't it be assumed they are well better than capable of enforcing a contract.

As for the power to make property, Yep 100% Agree.

I follow up question might be what people would do or if they would fight, but I didn't want to direct the thread on this that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's like planting a tree as child, moving away, then coming back 500 million years later claiming ownership.

Also what Fencers said.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    No it's like planting a tree as child, moving away, then coming back 500 million years later claiming ownership.

Also what Fencers said.
    Well good point I think you kind of missed on this one. You are correct you can't just arbitrarily plant a tree come back in said amount of time and expect ownership.

If you own the land before you planted the tree, set up legal and specific bindings, you could.

In Case law it can kind of be a gray area in some situations. The tree you planet might be yours, but the land from which you planted it on might no longer be.

I think the flip side might be the liability side, if Aliens showed up, would they also be LIABLE and OWE a huge bill?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Well good point I think you kind of missed on this one. You are correct you can't just arbitrarily plant a tree come back in said amount of time and expect ownership.

If you own the land before you planted the tree, set up legal and specific bindings, you could.

In Case law it can kind of be a gray area in some situations. The tree you planet might be yours, but the land from which you planted it on might no longer be.

I think the flip side might be the liability side, if Aliens showed up, would they also be LIABLE and OWE a huge bill?
    If you leave something in a place for x amount of time without an attempt to maintain or retrieve it courts will say you abandoned it.

I'll claim squatters rights on the aliens.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you leave something in a place for x amount of time without an attempt to maintain or retrieve it courts will say you abandoned it.

Hahahaha good points.

Pretty well reason and logical position. However if they have interstellar travel and can seed a planet like a farmer grows a field couldn't it be assumed they are well better than capable of enforcing a contract.
    No. The presence of technological advancement or achievement has nothing to do with the will to enforce a thing under your ownership.

Many nations have the power via technology to enforce claim over things. Not all do.

I follow up question might be what people would do or if they would fight, but I didn't want to direct the thread on this that much.
    I don't understand your question.

7+ Year Old Account
    If an alien species seeded Earth along with all life on it would Earth and everything on it legally become their property?
    I would have to study how property rights work within the alien civilization and whether or not their system makes sense and is self-consistent. Knowledge is power so if the aliens are way more powerful than us then that means they have way more knowledge of how everything work.

10+ Year Old Account

That's bold of you to assume you can afford an intergalactic lawyer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I would have to study how property rights work within the alien civilization and whether or not their system makes sense and is self-consistent. Knowledge is power so if the aliens are way more powerful than us then that means they have way more knowledge of how everything work.
    Hahahahaaha PC2 our first Intergalactic Law Attorney LOL!

Johnny Cochran defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    That's bold of you to assume you can afford an intergalactic lawyer
    I already know my defense.

Im approaching the stand as the weak feeble helpless endangered human being oppressed by a big bad Imperialist alien. Give the puppy eyes and show them a stock photo of my "wife and kids" in the streets. Surely there's an intergalactic ACLU?

If that doesn't work we're trashing the planet and making a run for it whild yelling "Sapien Gang".

10+ Year Old Account
    Aliens that seeded us, had no concept of property... they were just a few hip cats trucking through the universe, slaying primordial ooze until their reproductive organs disintegrate... those wild and crazy aliens...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I already know my defense.

Im approaching the stand as the weak feeble helpless endangered human being oppressed by a big bad Imperialist alien. Give the puppy eyes and show them a stock photo of my "wife and kids" in the streets. Surely there's an intergalactic ACLU?

If that doesn't work we're trashing the planet and making a run for it whild yelling "Sapien Gang".
    A space lawyer that represents himself has a space fool for a space client.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, no? However since they are capable of intergalactic space travel and have the ability to cultivate entire planets, im gonna assume they also have some deathray somewhere and i would avoid to argue with that.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

All that matters is if they have the will and the ability to enforce that claim.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hahahahaaha PC2 our first Intergalactic Law Attorney LOL!

Johnny Cochran defense.
    I had to look up the Cochran defense since I was just a kid when that was happening, but yes, "hold your opponent to their own logic" does make a lot of sense.

If the alien society is like that of the Klingons then we're screwed, they wouldn't care about us because we are weak. But if instead they lived by universal principles and a peaceful code of conduct then we could learn from them and see how their knowledge applies to Earth.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-10-02 at 11:20 PM.