Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Came for the Zelda bashing. Wasn't disappointed. Be less predictable.

OT: Sports games, in general, were fucking awful, even the well-received ones. (Looking at you, John Madden Football).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Most of these replies are less "games are overrated" and more "I don't like this game/genre but everyone else does"
    That's typically how these threads go down.
    Last edited by Femininity; 2020-10-03 at 04:02 AM.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

man its hard to say,when i was a kid i played a bunch of those sega yellow cartrige games,everything was cool to me...its amazing how much games have changed from the first video game in 58 pong,to the first ''3d'' game in 80 battlezone,and now we have stuff like metro exodus...i remember when call of duty came out...it looked sooooo good compared to stuff before it

15+ Year Old Account
    Most of these replies are less "games are overrated" and more "I don't like this game/genre but everyone else does"

Not a huge fan of OoT myself but I think it got all the praise it deserved since you know in 1998 the number of 3D open world action RPGs were exactly 0 especially on a console..I would more prefer to say it aged REALLY badly (like most N64 games)

Skyrim is one I could say in the "games everyone likes but I don't" just cause..eh didn't really appeal to me. Wont say its overrated I do believe it deserves all the praise it gets I just don't like it

for an ACTUALLY overrated game I'll just point at FF7 and Persona 5..I love both but found their predecessors as a little better (or some sequels in FF7s case)
    Well the reasons I put up OOT and MM are many. I won't list them all here, but basically I thought other games deserved to be talked about more, but never were because everyone was instead up the rear end of those games instead. Couldn't go anywhere without hearing about it, and when I tried it, I found out that they weren't nearly as life-changing or innovative as people claimed. They were, in essence, rated far higher than they deserved, IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    My childhood? Hmm. Maybe Ghosts ‘n Gobblins.

It was just unplayable as a child and only much later got a cult following because it was so damn hard.
    Last edited by Nutri; 2020-10-03 at 10:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy for me as well. Never understood the charm and a lot of characters didn't have anything interesting to add to the plot.

Also I owned one of the first FF where if you messed up real bad, you had to start all over (like progressing too much without leveling, losing a secret encounter in a genie lamp I believe?). Those mistakes happen when you are a kid. Just left a bad taste in my mouth and I have never played a FF since.

Also I really dislike turn-based combat because it's lazy, scripted, slow and predictable. I cannot even stomach Pokemon anymore. I have heard the latest FF are not turn based though, may give them a try when I am super bored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Well the reasons I put up OOT and MM are many. I won't list them all here, but basically I thought other games deserved to be talked about more, but never were because everyone was instead up the rear end of those games instead. Couldn't go anywhere without hearing about it, and when I tried it, I found out that they weren't nearly as life-changing or innovative as people claimed. They were, in essence, rated far higher than they deserved, IMO.
    Don't list all of your many reasons then, just list a few. OoT isn't even close to my favorite game (or Zelda game for that matter) but it deserves every ounce of praise it got IMO.

What other games? '98-'00 was an era of absolute bangers, typically both groundbreaking and genre-defining, that were all highly rated/appreciated.

Starcraft.
    Half-Life.
    Metal Gear Solid.
    Pokémon.
    FF8/9.
    Pro Skater 1-2.
    Resident Evil 2.
    Baldur's Gate.
    Soul Calibur.
    Unreal Tournament.
    Chrono Cross.
    Paper Mario.
    Vagrant Story.

That's just a small cherry-picking of the dump-truck full of critically lauded games that rightfully deserve their place in the GOAT pantheon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Final Fantasy for me as well. Never understood the charm and a lot of characters didn't have anything interesting to add to the plot.

Also I owned one of the first FF where if you messed up real bad, you had to start all over (like progressing too much without leveling, losing a secret encounter in a genie lamp I believe?). Those mistakes happen when you are a kid. Just left a bad taste in my mouth and I have never played a FF since.

Also I really dislike turn-based combat because it's lazy, scripted, slow and predictable. I cannot even stomach Pokemon anymore. I have heard the latest FF are not turn based though, may give them a try when I am super bored.
    Now that's a proper critique. Though I disagree with you, I understand your reasoning.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

This one... was boring then.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Halo.

/10

Never cared for Pac-man. Mario and Duck Hunt were not fun for me either. Mortal Kombat but mostly because I suck hard at fighting games. Any Zelda game past the first two.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sinistar scared me with all the malicious voicing, but it turned out just to be a quarter muncher...

Not a huge fan of OoT myself but I think it got all the praise it deserved since you know in 1998 the number of 3D open world action RPGs were exactly 0 especially on a console..I would more prefer to say it aged REALLY badly (like most N64 games)

Skyrim is one I could say in the "games everyone likes but I don't" just cause..eh didn't really appeal to me. Wont say its overrated I do believe it deserves all the praise it gets I just don't like it

for an ACTUALLY overrated game I'll just point at FF7 and Persona 5..I love both but found their predecessors as a little better (or some sequels in FF7s case)
    Its like when people call, say, Beatles or Lord of the Rings generic.

They arent generic, its that they defined everything that came afterwards. So much was borrowed from what they did that they come off as generic when compared to all the stuff they started.

Same with Legend of Zelda. It and Mario 64 are likely the two most influential 3D games, period. They in no way shape or form are over rated, they defined entire genres and did so largely because they did such a fantastic job of it.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg