Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If it's one function we def don't need, it's housing!

I remember playing ESO and getting my first house, it was awesome, I cleaned it up and started putting all my collected treasures and furniture there.... 5hrs later and I freaking NEVER WENT BACK. It's fun for like 2hrs to play "The Sims" for a while but it gets old very quickly and considered how much time they would have to put into develop something like this, I say HELL NO to housing!

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    You can't disagree with facts. In fact such system already exists within a WoW. And it's not garrison.
    WC3 is NOT wow. FACT. Here is a really great quote that might help you out: "WOW uses as much of the WC3 engine, as Windows7 does from Windows3.1"
    Last edited by arkanon; 2020-10-04 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawon View Post
    If it's one function we def don't need, it's housing!

I remember playing ESO and getting my first house, it was awesome, I cleaned it up and started putting all my collected treasures and furniture there.... 5hrs later and I freaking NEVER WENT BACK. It's fun for like 2hrs to play "The Sims" for a while but it gets old very quickly and considered how much time they would have to put into develop something like this, I say HELL NO to housing!
    Indeed. Also considering the state of the game, housing is the last thing this game need. Unless people have lived under a rock, they should know that the dev team is very short staffed. This means that dev time can only be spent on worth while work and I am afraid but considering the other priorities that have way way way more impact on the game, its health and its futur longevity, housing is just not needed, required or should even be remotely on the radar of the product management team.

Those that want housing, better not get their hopes up, wont happen anytime soon. You might as well go play another game.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    WC3 is NOT wow. FACT. Here is a really great quote that might help you out: "WOW uses as much of the WC3 engine, as Windows7 does from Windows3.1"
    Read again what I wrote. WoW engine is evolved WC3 engine and that is a fact. It is also a fact that it has way more possibilities and features than original engine, it is also a fact that similar "system" already exists within WoW.

For some reason I thought the game was called World of Warcraft, not World of Suburbian Housing.

OT: They've already tried this twice: the farm in Pandaria, and the Draenor Garrison. In the Garrison there is a room where your archeological discoveries are displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Seriously; Blizzard is more than happy to rip-off good ideas, and usually refines them to be even better than the source of inspiration. But for whatever reason, the closest thing to even an *attempt* as housing was the half-assed Garrisons, which offered nearly zero customization of any kind.

The thing that makes this so crazy to me, is that this is SUCH an easy "Win" for Blizzard.

Think about it; they have over FIFTEEN YEARS of ALREADY-EXISTING ASSETS they could use. No, it's not as simple as flipping a switch, but it's a damn good start.

Just like Transmogrifaction, Housing is more than just "the feature itself", but also represents SOMETHING NEW TO DO. People would immediately begin farming for House-items.

Old dungeons and raids? Tradeskills? Archeology? All of these could be sources of house items.

And hell, they could even add more shit to the Cash Shop, provided it isn't the ONLY outlet for cool shit.

Furthermore, Housing is a HUGELY COMPELLING FEATURE FOR MANY GAMERS. No, no everybody cares about Housing. But there are enough that it's clearly a trend for virtually (literally?) every other MMO on the market to have incorporated one.

My personal advice? I'd track down every single person who worked on WildStar's Housing system and hire them on the spot. WildStar may have failed as an MMO, but its Housing system set a new, unprecedented standard for what was possible in a Housing system.

Blizzard could do whatever they want with the details. Maybe it's a solo-instance, or maybe they do "shared settlements" like FFXIV where you also see other players' houses. Maybe each character gets their own house, or maybe it's one per server or even per account. Maybe they're free, or maybe they cost a ton of gold. Maybe they're limited, maybe they're not.

Point is, it would be a truly meaningful feature to the game, and there is no real downside. At worse, "some people won't be into it". Some people aren't into PvP, either, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't support it.

Like I said, above all else, it just gives people shit to DO again. Even if you aren't great at PvP, or maybe you can't Raid often, decorating your place could be a huge motivation to keep playing and maybe branch out into content you ordinarily wouldn't have.
    This is old problem:
    1) Wow engine is way too old. It doesn't support dynamic geometry. Only so called phasing, i.e. when some pre-made geometry is shown or hidden on demand. Hell, Wow doesn't even have semi-transparent windows.
    2) All assets have to be redone to fit into housing idea. This is big work for artists. Blizzard just don't think, that such big amount of work will pay off. Currently they're in bad shape. They don't do anything just for fun, as it was in the past. They only do things, that will bring them guaranteed profit.
    3) Unfortunately Wow is theme park, not sandbox MMO. And housing is feature from sandbox genre. I.e. games like Minecraft, Terraria, etc. Sandbox games are about creativity. And Wow has always been very week in this area. And last elements of creativity were removed in several recent xpacks. Wow is more about interaction/competition. I.e. Blizzard currently think, that character power - is the greatest motivation for players to play their game.

Overall "When it's done" mentality - is what prevents the from doing it. They prefer to release features, when they're 100% complete or not release at all. I.e. may be they work on housing for several years, but it's unknown, when it will be ready to be released. You should understand, that it's actually very big feature. So may be it would be better to start from something and then gradually fill it with content. But Blizzard just don't want to do it. They think, that E-Peen borrowed power grind will bring them more profit.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    This is old problem:
    1) Wow engine is way too old. It doesn't support dynamic geometry. Only so called phasing, i.e. when some pre-made geometry is shown or hidden on demand. Hell, Wow doesn't even have semi-transparent windows.
    Nothing of it is a problem for housing. All you need to have is private instance either somewhere in the world like your garden in moP or garrison in WoD.

2) All assets have to be redone to fit into housing idea. This is big work for artists. Blizzard just don't think, that such big amount of work will pay off. Currently they're in bad shape. They don't do anything just for fun, as it was in the past. They only do things, that will bring them guaranteed profit.
    No not really. Existing assets would just need to be either itemised or/or spell-ized. The only problem comes from the walls but quite honesly a housing system with predefined buildings would be good enough as long as you can chose ALL interior and exterior decorations.

https://gm.conquestofthehorde.com/chair-ids

I don't see why artists would need to redesign chairs/stools/trees/benches/beds etc.

3) Unfortunately Wow is theme park, not sandbox MMO. And housing is feature from sandbox genre. I.e. games like Minecraft, Terraria, etc. Sandbox games are about creativity. And Wow has always been very week in this area. And last elements of creativity were removed in several recent xpacks. Wow is more about interaction/competition. I.e. Blizzard currently think, that character power - is the greatest motivation for players to play their game.
    Because character power is the greatest motivation, just like in PoE, but it still didn't prevent GGG from making "housing" aka hideouts. You get predefined space and you can decorate as you see fit. Funny thing is, even the most hardcore PoE players has made themselves a fancy hideouts. Funny isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Jesus christ since when is disagreeing with someone demeaning them? I responded to you with thoughtfully constructed posts and thoroughly explained reasoning behind my thinking and the only thing you can do is accuse me of being demeaning. Please tell me then where I demeaned you? The only person here who has said anything demeaning is you with your "playing house" comments insinuating that wanting to have customizable content somehow makes anyone with those interests childish. Either defend your stance with points of your own or stop responding to me with this bullshit about being demeaning.
    You put wods in my mouth and tried to claim why I was arguing against it. You demean me by claiming the only reason I argue against it is because I don't like it. That is BS and insulting You also basically said 'I can't understand why people just don't agree with me" and your tone has been nothing more than "I'm right, and everyone else who disagrees with me are idiots who don't know any better". To wit:

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    The fact that people are still railing against it because of this shitty "hurr durr me no like so other players shouldn't have it either" mentality is ridiculous.
    This is what you label every argument against it even though nobody has ever made that argument. You have done it over and over again. To me and to others. Talk about childish.

I have made my arguments against it. You have continuously ignored them and parroted the same BS as why we are against it that we never said. You don't want a debate. You want an echo chamber where everyone agrees with you. So we are done here.
    Last edited by rrayy; 2020-10-04 at 06:47 PM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I hate player housing in most games and it's something I have never wanted resources wasted on. I'm glad they continue to shitcan this stupid idea
    Arena caters to a small percentage as does Heroic Raiding and yet resources are used up for them.....

Quote Originally Posted by BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS View Post
    Imagine caring this much about a virtual apartment in a video game.
    The need is great to live in a virtual mansion, when you live in a cardboard one type flat/room IRL I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    The need is great to live in a virtual mansion, when you live in a cardboard one type flat/room IRL I guess.
    I think relying on a virtual world to live out your home ownership fantasies is a recipe for disaster, but thats just me.

I'd prefer the Wildstar housing system in WoW, complete with woodworking profession and rare collectibles. I especially liked how you could rotate, shrink, enlarge, and all that. It let you get creative with design (like using a shrunk down column flipped horizontal as a "pipe" in a tech-themed house, for instance).

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    Arena caters to a small percentage as does Heroic Raiding and yet resources are used up for them.....
    it's a pretty large percentage on Arena I'd say. Heroic raiding requires very little in additional resources which is why they love shoving Mythic plus on retail it's lazy development.

7+ Year Old Account
    The counter arguments remind of the days when we were told the engine was too old to handle upgrading the size of the backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    What is the purpose of player housing? I've always had a hard time figuring out why this was important. Just a cosmetic bank correct?
    Pretty much for cosmetic purposes. Showing off achievements. Gives the player something to make that's completely unique to them.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll always oppose player housing and similar features, simply because that's resources spent on something that I feel is useless and unappealing. I want resources to go towards making raids and dungeons amazing. I'd rather take 2 awesome raids a tier than to get player housing. There's games already out there that are built around that type of system and are highly praised. Just because other MMORPG's have it, doesn't mean WoW needs it too. WoW has some of the most amazing end game content and that's where they should continue to build upon, not minecraft-esque home building.

Go play the sims if you want housebuilding features.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    What do you meeean. Don't you guys have garrisons? Oh they suck and the only time you go there is to get into WoD dungeons? how would housing be any different.

Incorrect my main and alts still use garrison and more often than nt log in and out from there, its my players home in game, can't tell me I am having fun wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    For some reason I thought the game was called World of Warcraft, not World of Suburbian Housing.
    To go by this it has 'World' in it, which includes housing, industry, commerce, infastructure etc etc etc... silly goose.
    Last edited by Sorrowseer; 2020-10-05 at 01:36 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm neither for or against housing...as long as it isn't the shitty limited housing type of system like FF 14 has.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Personally I'm pretty glad Blizzard hasn't wasted any resources on Housing.
    to be fair, you could just reuse current assets runescape style and most people would be happy.

FFXIV Housing system works, because in that game the "apartment" concept goes with the game fantasy, or at least doesn't clash with it.
    As much as I love the idea of having Housing on WoW, it doesn't really work with the fantasy.
    The Inn system that FF has is doable, though. An instanced room where you can invite friends, customize a little bit with banners, animal heads, torches, etc.
    The WoD garrison could get a bit of love as well, make it more customizable, just like with the Inn idea.

What I would absolutely love though, is making Org/SW a more enjoyable hub to be in. More benches, taverns, playgrounds, open free for all arenas, lower scale darkmoon faire-like games. Fill those empty spaces, make underground tunnels, make them places where you can actually get lost if you aren't familiar with the city.

TL;DR: Housing doesn't go too well with WoW, true adventurers doesn't have houses. Bring more life to capital cities.