Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    If you're tired of pixel games, stop looking at pixel games. They aren't the only non-AAA games being made.

I think it's a combination of things.

When it comes to indie development, there is a reason why there are a lot of pixel games.
    • Millenials who played pixel games in their childhood grew up and wanted to make games like the ones they played when they were a kid.
    • A 2D pixel game is relatively easy for a single person or a small team to make.

When it comes to being noticed
    • Pixel games are relatively easy to make to look beautiful, so they get A LOT of traction and coverage in the mainstream press. Compare that to 3D games, which takes a huge amount of effort and polish on the part of the developers to get into a passable state, let alone something that looks amazing enough to get a lot of traction for just its visuals.
    • Millenials now dominate the mainstream press and make up the bulk of people who spend money on games, and since they grew up with pixel games, it resonates with them more, thus pixel games get promoted more often over other games.
    I'm a millennial who grew up with pixel games.
    Pixel games are never beautiful.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also going to go ahead and say that if a great game is made in pixel graphics, it's not worth playing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Best case scenario is I'm going to polarize the community, worst-case scenario turn you all against me

Anyway, anyone else feeling really tired of the pixel and 1990-2010 visual type games?
    It seems to be "the shit" in the past 3-4 years. Indie game companies pushing those pixelated games and people swallowing them as if it's the year 1995.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't think they are bad games. But I'm tired of wanting to play something cool but it looks like shit.
    It's almost 2021, I don't want to play games that look like crap.
    There are options of course, but my favorite genres, MMORPG and top-down RPGs are the ones that are hit most.

This is why I support games like Wolcen and New World.
    Wolcen is.... lacking, to say the least, compared to other options. But you can't deny the game looks absolutely fantastic for an ARPG game.
    New World looks good, but is it a good game? Probably not, at least not at its release. But it looks miles better than other MMORPGs. Sorry WoW, you look good for a 15-year-old game, but those blurry stretched out textures should have died 5 years ago. It's time for a new game and I want World of Starcraft!

Pixel games are something we all accepted 20+ years ago. There are finished engines out there like Unreal Engine which is FREE. So why are we dealing with pixelated bullshit today? Lazy developers?

I beg to differ... If only it saw the light of day...

It has nothing to do with 'lazy developers'... granted they're cheaper to make, hell of a lot more so... but it's a style nonetheless.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-10-04 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scynfullone View Post
    Unreal engine is free unless you plan to release a product and make money from it. Not knowing this just proves your ignorance to the design behind games. Next!
    Basically: "Its Free"
    The Important part here is, with (I think) any other Major Engine you need to pay the License beforehand, which makes the Development much more Expensive.
    With UE you dont have to pay an Upfront fee, and only have to fork over a (small) part of your Earnings.

Unreal Engine End User License Agreement for Publishing: This license is free to use and incurs 5% royalties when you monetize your game or other interactive off-the-shelf product and your lifetime gross revenues from that product exceed $1,000,000 USD.
    On Topic:
    I dont really dislike these "Pixel Games", but I also think there are way to much out there, and it feels many just want to cash in on the Hype/Nostalgia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    I beg to differ... If only it saw the light of day...

It has nothing to do with 'lazy developers'... granted they're cheaper to make, hell of a lot more so... but it's a style nonetheless.
    This is a very big case of "Opinion", I really Hate the look of that.

Especially the Mix of Modern Shaders and Sprites in a 3d Enviroment. Oo
    Last edited by LanToaster; 2020-10-04 at 04:43 PM.

Pixel games age well. 3D games, not so much. It takes significantly more resources to develop even a single good 3D model, than it does to create a single sprite.

With 3D, you have to deal with bones/splines, mesh, and textures. You may also have to deal with animation (i.e. if it's a character). Those different parts are generally done by different people, and if they're only done by 1, they take significantly longer. Then you might also have physics on top, which requires someone with the knowledge to program that part of the system and 'tell' the model how to act.

2D on the other hand, only requires you to be an artist (and in some cases, not even a very good one). You don't have splines, or mesh. You just have texture. In the time it takes to put together a single mesh for a model, you can have a full 2D character and all it's animation spines done, and be onto designing the next 'model'.

2D is also significantly less resource intensive on most systems. It's possible to run a 2D game on just about any system, regardless of the platform. A 3D game is more sensitive to the environment it runs in, possibly requiring certain rendering pipelines (such as DirectX) and can't be easily transitioned to another. This, in turn, can make a 2D game feel more responsive.

You can build a 2D game in a wide range of tools. Even tools which aren't aimed at game design can often be rigged to make something, which means you can continue to use the technology you already know.

However, the biggest thing is that it gives the developers a way of bringing something to life. There is nothing quite as frustrating as doing work in a creative industry, but hating the work you're given. It drains you because your passion has turned against you, and you feel no better than you did before you actually got into the industry. Working on projects that make you happy is self-motivating, and helps you practice your trade.

I see. I'm not.
    Games I'm tired of, I tend to avoid.

If you are seeing an overwhelming amount of something though, it typically means its selling well.
    IE, others are not tired of it, at least not yet.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Pixel games are something we all accepted 20+ years ago. There are finished engines out there like Unreal Engine which is FREE. So why are we dealing with pixelated bullshit today? Lazy developers?
    Some like the style of pixel games. Most of the time it has to do with small dev shops. I'm sure in some cases, it's due to lazy developers, but that appears to be the exception not the rule.

The Unreal Engine may be free, but the amount of effort needed to use it is not. Gimp is free too, but the vast majority of people would have no idea how to use it well.

Wolcen is.... lacking, to say the least, compared to other options. But you can't deny the game looks absolutely fantastic for an ARPG game.
    New World looks good, but is it a good game? Probably not, at least not at its release.
    I'm sorry, but this makes you look rather vapid. If you are into looks over substance, you do you. But you need to realize that most people's tastes are more refined than that. Story, gameplay, and ideas mean far more than the hottest graphics.

I'm also going to go ahead and say that if a great game is made in pixel graphics, it's not worth playing in my opinion.
    I don't know about that. Undertale is a fantastic game and that's definitely a pixel style game. And yeah, your opinion and all, but I'm still gonna disagree with that opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

I'm a millennial who grew up with pixel games.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point you're not even having a discussion. You created a thread to announce your opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    If only there was a way to avoid em, alas that is impossible.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    I don't know about that. Undertale is a fantastic game and that's definitely a pixel style game. And yeah, your opinion and all, but I'm still gonna disagree with that opinion.
    I'd have to say most of my favorite games to this day are still pixel-based games. My all-time favorite that I still replay to this day is Super Metroid, as I never get tired of playing that game. Quite a few SNES titles are still held in high regard even now, and it usually comes down to the love of the craft when making the games that just happened to be constrained by the technology of the time.

Feels too common nowadays that developers espouse that graphics >>>> gameplay/fun, as there's a ton of high-res titles that are absolutely crap to play. Doesn't mean that there aren't crap pixelated games, but it does point towards that what makes a game great isn't necessarily the graphics by themselves. If you judge a book by it's cover (or a game by the pixelated graphics), you could be missing out on some great games.

As others have stated, going for pixel graphics usually is the result of going for a specific style or budget/time/team size constraints. While pixels may be the "in" thing for indie games, I'd say more often than not it's the later reason for choosing such graphics. If anything, I'd be more apt to try a game that focuses on gameplay and the fun aspects of their game, versus sacrificing everything to get as realistic/3D images as possible. Hollywood is a great example of another industry that more often than not sinks millions of dollars into CGI for projects to get them as pretty as possible, yet they don't care about whether the story is entertaining or even makes sense.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure they are.
    You not liking a certain art style doesn't make the art style any less viable/good/pretty.

Formerly known as Arafal

Same. I love 2D art style and games with 2D gameplay. But I want it to look lush and crisp- like hand-drawn animation. I never ever desired to play blurry versions of Comix Zone or Aztec Adventure.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love to play Dead Cells, Demon's Tilt and now Hades
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Pixel art can look great, but it's too often used as an excuse to ignore the aesthetics of a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda agree. I don't really mind the pixelated style, but it feels like it has been forced everywhere just because it's back to being cool.

I would love to see more pixel horror games and fewer of the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarx View Post
    There many others non pixel indie games. But the pixel games bring back good memories from the past. When we were young and enjoy every moment.
    Shovel Knight is best example of that.

I don't think you realize the vast gulf in pure cost/time between "beautiful" sprites and "beautiful" 3d models.
    AAA produces primarily the later because they are AAA, they have the money and the sheer size.
    Indie produces primarily the former because we are not AAA, with little money and size.
    There are ways to cheat in 3d and get a lot of use out of a few assets, but it is extremely tricky and the players often catch on anyways.
    The amount of highly specialized technical work that must be done on high quality 3d scenes is intense and while it is done by indies it is always limited in scope due to resource limitations.
    It doesn't matter if Unreal Engine is free if you don't have enough money/time to produce a full project (not a game jam game or a demo which are much easier).
    You mention Wolcen and New World, just look again at the sheer variety and volume of assets that must be produced.
    New World is costing millions of dollars to produce and market, and has a large team behind it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best case scenario is I'm going to polarize the community, worst-case scenario turn you all against me

Anyway, anyone else feeling really tired of the pixel and 1990-2010 visual type games?
    It seems to be "the shit" in the past 3-4 years. Indie game companies pushing those pixelated games and people swallowing them as if it's the year 1995.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't think they are bad games. But I'm tired of wanting to play something cool but it looks like shit.
    There are options of course, but my favorite genres, MMORPG and top-down RPGs are the ones that are hit most.

New World looks good, but is it a good game? Probably not, at least not at its release. But it looks miles better than other MMORPGs. Sorry WoW, you look good for a 15-year-old game, but those blurry stretched out textures should have died 5 years ago. It's time for a new game and I want World of Starcraft!

Do you really not understand that other people have different opinions about what kind of art looks good?

It's ok to like different things, don't play them if you don't like them.. Ya kno, like a normal human being.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account

Octopath Traveler did a phenomenal job of blending 16-bit spites with full-HD graphic effects. It's one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.