Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't take days off for video games. It's nothing like events that occur on specific times or traveling where I'll be too far away to make it into work. The video game will be there when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by shonist View Post
    lol sorry i made instant-edit bc i was confused about the post i was repplying to.

i took time off work for Slands and i got fckd. i could move them to 16th nov. so lets hope
    My bad. I hope your situation works out, truly. I'd be pretty miffed if I had made any scheduling changes. Took an extra day weekend for BFA's launch, so I know the hype.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

I booked 2 weeks off because I've got 4 weeks saved up, and next year with long service leave (Australia) I'll receive 10 weeks on top of our already 4 weeks paid per year, so next year I will have 14 weeks holiday that I can use. I will go to work on Tuesday and tell my boss I need to postpone my holidays until further notice, and should someone else have time off when SL releases, that's tough luck for me. If you are in beta, you see why they have postponed release, there are still so many kinks that needs to be worked out, bugs with quests and just mechanics that need serious attention.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

in my case, the company in wich i work for, is asking for us to take 2 weeks before 2021, so we need to take them on the next months. since slands was scheduled 26/10, i took 2 weeks there, and let my coworkers take the days after mine, so now, everything is taken up but 2 weeks after 16th november. so ill be taking those weeks there, ill be really bummed if i would waste those valuable 2 weeks i have to just sit in here doing the nothing im already doing waiting for shadowlands. its like the worse case scenario, have nothing else to play, and i have no need for vacations if its not to level some toons for mythic raiding on launch. hopefully im lucky enough for shadowlands to launch on my vacations lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    My coworker takes days off to go to watch football matches, don't see how me doing that for my hobby is looked down upon 0o
    Because we live in an age where insecure passive/aggressives have a voice behind the keyboard. To make themselves feel better they like to take shots at people taking time off for their hobbies. But they're just lonely losery people. Happy people don't feel the need.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    I personally don't take days off for video games. It's nothing like events that occur on specific times or traveling where I'll be too far away to make it into work. The video game will be there when I get home.
    Most people's hobbies will still be there when they get home. Yet people take off time to do their hobbies.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by faithbane View Post
    I've seen idiots who memorized entire roosters in a sports league and even knows the names of everyone in management of the teams but they laugh if you know the lore or character names from your favorite series its stupid
    Reminds me of this.

Taking time off work to play a video game isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more than taking time off work for any other leisure activity).

Taking time off in advance and then complaining all over the forums/in-game about the game being delayed and Blizzard ruining your vacation, however--those people can get bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    In the discussion about the SL delay, something that I read and hear very often is "that sucks a lot for people who have taken time off" and things like that.
    Why does this matter A MONTH before the release date? Just cancel your time off and book it again as soon as we knew the new release date.

I have worked in 5 different countries in europe, I had some very shitty jobs and some good ones and never ever was it a problem to just move your vacation (as long as the new date is not the school summer breaks). I have not even heard of people that had such an issue.

I can understand that when you work in a shop that is very inflexible with working hours that changing shifts like a week ago could be a problem, but a whole MONTH?
    In medicine we have to schedule vacation time with a year of anticipation basically (o, and first year residents get a grand total of 0 days off. Sometimes not even Holidays). Some friends of mine got called back from vacation to work because of covid. They will not get their vacation time "refunded" in any way. C'est la vie.

That being said, I would never schedule vacation time around a video game. But to each their own...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingsince1981 View Post
    I think the biggest problem about all of it is the fact the people that took time off, usually a couple of weeks, are acting like blizzard owes them something now that the release has been delayed, its no ones problem but your own. It also looks kinda sad when you plan weeks off for a release of a wow xpac.
    This. It'snot the fact that they used their time. It's the complaining that SL got delayed and ruined their plan that's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2020-10-04 at 02:25 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Complaining and whining about every single little inconvenience no matter how tiny has become normalized now.

Life isn't fair, no one wants to hear the crying anymore. Unexpected things are going to happen, deal with it and learn to get over it. Be an adult. Etc, etc.

My job for management only we try to book time off a year in advanced, but its more for a planning approximation than a hard it must be taken then. Usually 2-4 weeks notice is more than enough time to adjust schedules, etc. I see no difference in taking time off for games than for sporting events or other things a person enjoys doing,
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frai85 View Post
    Some people have actually managed to get jobs outside of retail and food service who make schedules farther out than two weeks.
    Some people have managed to eliminate work and stream for a living. You aren't special lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    How to use your PTO, UPTO or LoA (Leave of Absence) is no one's fuckin' business though weather you either get it off or can rescind approved time off depends on your employer and it PTO Policies in short. Not to be confused with your employer denying you for specific dates or cancelling your time off due to specific work-related needs suddenly popping up such as a severe staff shortage.

I do believe in most professions and industries, employers are not allowed to ask why you're requesting time off unless it's very short notice and it's not for medical or health related reasons. If you're requesting PTO and you follow the procedures to do so, what you plan to do with that PTO is no one's business. I once worked with a teacher who always requested her birthday off for example. I also once worked with a guy who took time off just to sleep in all day. What you do with approved PTO is no one's fuckin' business at the end of the day.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Suppose there some benefits to being medically retired.

Well, it's a good thing I can take time off whenever I want and don't have to explain myself..

And if someone were to find out the reason why and has a problem with it, I'd just call them insubordinate and churlish and fire them.

If i wanna schedule PTO for a freaking bubble bath that's my business. Why are people so worked up about other people's life?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Because we live in an age where insecure passive/aggressives have a voice behind the keyboard. To make themselves feel better they like to take shots at people taking time off for their hobbies. But they're just lonely losery people. Happy people don't feel the need.

- - - Updated - - -

Most people's hobbies will still be there when they get home. Yet people take off time to do their hobbies.
    I don't take time off for my other hobbies either, unless it happens at a specific time or place that's too far away. Good thing I wasn't talking about other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    I don't give a fuck, but I do think some people lack perspective and blow this delay out of proportion.
    You don't have even the slightest idea how to not give a fuck. Watch me giving zero fucks about you and learn.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Or you guys can get jobs that dont require you to book days off a year in advances lol.

My work requires 2 weeks notice if I want to book time off.
    Imagine having to book time off 2 weeks in advance lol...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barrsftw View Post
    No problem at all with people taking time off for their favorite hobby. Anyone who talks down to them for it are assholes. That said, with the nature of the industry every single person who took time off knew it came with at least some risk. Whether that be release delays, sever instability, DDOS attacks, buggy content, etc. So to the people complaining about how they don't get their days off back, yeah it sucks, but you knew the risks.
    The last wow xpac launch i remember having issues with was MOP and that was just because everyone got stuck in a roflcopter trying to kill the same mobs...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Good for you. I'm swimming in leave (5 weeks a year) and I have to dump them at the end of the year to keep from capping. a lot of people who get less vaca time are still trying to spend it because their other plans were cancelled due to human malware. in current day i don't see how anyone can fault someone for vacationing in azeroth.

Dunno about others but I don’t have anything to use mine on due to Covid. Can’t go on holiday, so might as well use some of it for WoW. Even with the Mrs birthday booked off, two days for cyber punk, and a week for WoW, I still have 10 days to use before the end of Dec

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Or you guys can get jobs that dont require you to book days off a year in advances lol.

My work requires 2 weeks notice if I want to book time off.
    Not everyone is apart of the American Slave Labour sector.