View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I figured Trump's numbers would be low (I did not expect them to be THAT low)
    On the other hand, I didn't expect them to be that high. The only thing that brings me joy about that is knowing that my country is bringing the average down.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Most people require the services of a midwife for a few hours/days at most, not 50-60 years like the EU. Comparing the US as the EU's midwife is ridiculous, time to get off the US bosom slanty and stop sucking on that teet. Don't you feel any sense of shame at the EU still being so attached and needy to it after all this time? It would be like me still suckling on my Grandma...

The US president might be outwardly supportive of the EU, but he must have a mind to the people he represents. Those very same people whose tax dollars are paying for and subsidising very expensive EU defences when they should now be doing it, no US bosom required, for themselves.

The EU has a pretend deep and healthy relationship with the US only for as long as they are in receipt of US paid for benefits. It is very one sided, almost the same sort of abusive relationship the UK had with the EU prior to brexit when we were members. Everything is rosy as long as the EU are in receipt of foreign aid from generous nation benefactors, take that away and the facade and false friendship crumbles. Oh and don't worry about a UK/US trade deal, even though the EU have had a 60 year head start and still failed, I bet we achieve it first.

Of course Britain leaving the EU cabal makes the EU overall more Ameri-sceptic, look, compared to the UK at these EU member states US approval ratings. This is why many in the US oppose brexit, the UK was their one and only reliable English speaking pal dining at the EU table, nothing to do with the GFA that the EU will break in January, not the UK. These figures are barely unchanged from the Obama years, nothing to do with Trump, you cannot be more wrong.

Odd considering how Trump managed to make 2020 even worse than the previous years.

Also quite ironic how a brit, longing for the great times of the British Empire, is bitching about beeing threated like a bitch by a union you even entered voluntarity, luckily no one invaded and forced you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    luckily no one invaded and forced you.
    They should, and will probably need to, at some point; our leaders are equal parts incompetent and evil, and vast swathes of the public are so easily led by their lies it's a wonder they can put their clothes on the right way in the morning.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

10+ Year Old Account
    LONDON (Reuters) - The combination of COVID-19 and a failure to secure a post-Brexit trade deal with the European Union could cost the United Kingdom around 134 billion pounds ($174 billion) each year in lost GDP for a decade, research by law firm Baker & McKenzie showed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN26Q0HD

7+ Year Old Account
    LONDON (Reuters) - The combination of COVID-19 and a failure to secure a post-Brexit trade deal with the European Union could cost the United Kingdom around 134 billion pounds ($174 billion) each year in lost GDP for a decade, research by law firm Baker & McKenzie showed.

For the benefit of people who only skim over sensationalist nonsense like this, I highlight the only important word in that sentence especially for them.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

For the benefit of people who only skim over sensationalist nonsense like this, I highlight the only important word in that sentence especially for them.
    Yes, its very important to realise people are not omniscient. I know, its a shocking revelation.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    what margin are we talking ? unless dribbles wants to handwave away each billion of such a loss it still speaks desaster.

10+ Year Old Account

Because they don't have a magic future box to see the future. They're doing the best with the data they have available, and are making predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Because they don't have a magic future box to see the future. They're doing the best with the data they have available, and are making predictions.
    It's just an attempt to discredit the forecast, nothing else. Just like he will decry any discrepancy from that prediction a proof that they don't know what they were doing and never knew. The principle mechanics - and intention - of predictions like this has been thoroughly explained to Dribbles long ago. To no avail, obviously, since understanding requires a willingness to actually listen.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel, huh...

Ok, let's help you:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/bre...-brexit-268028
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKBN26L3WW
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-to-leave-u-k

Financial services firms operating in the U.K. have shifted about 7,500 employees and more than 1.2 trillion pounds ($1.6 trillion) of assets to the European Union ahead of Brexit -- with more likely to follow in coming weeks, according to EY.
    That reduced business? It's going to cost the UK. It'll directly translate into less tax income. It's happening buddy. You wanted this, you got it. This is how people lose interest in you guys. This is how it all begins. This isn't a one time event. This bloodletting will continue until you are shrunk to the size that the market deems proper for you. Enjoy!

Oh, btw, that deal you're celebrating everytime the UK fucks it up? That's the ONLY chance of the UK financial sector maintaining its size. If they lose passporting, they will be nothing but another marketplace. And there is plenty of those. But who will the new trade hub gateway into the EU be? Not London, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Slant; 2020-10-06 at 10:11 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Scraping the bottom of the barrel, huh...

Ok, let's help you:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/bre...-brexit-268028
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKBN26L3WW
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-to-leave-u-k

That reduced business? It's going to cost the UK. It'll directly translate into less tax income. It's happening buddy. You wanted this, you got it. This is how people lose interest in you guys. This is how it all begins. This isn't a one time event. This bloodletting will continue until you are shrunk to the size that the market deems proper for you. Enjoy!

Oh, btw, that deal you're celebrating everytime the UK fucks it up? That's the ONLY chance of the UK financial sector maintaining its size. If they lose passporting, they will be nothing but another marketplace. And there is plenty of those. But who will the new trade hub gateway into the EU be? Not London, that's for sure.
    So about 1% of City of London employees have gone to the EU. That's not a win for the EU but UK companies managing out bad employees and sending their crud to places, perceived as boring Frankfurt or high tax and restrictive labour laws Paris for example, that no one wants to go and live.

And as for passporting, the EU have begged the UK to extend equivalence until June 2022, deal or no deal, and will do so regularly into the future. The UK as far as I can see have not agreed to this yet unless UK law applies across the EU without interference from Brussels and we should say no, cut off their money if you will unless the EU agree to UK rule. If we did refuse EU financial access to London on January 1st the EUROzone would be bust the next day and unable to borrow the trillions it needs for future spending plans. Nah the City is safe and in an article seemingly written in explanation just for you:-

The Luftwaffe couldn't destroy the City and neither will Mr Barnier.

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/ex...nier-luftwaffe

You're welcome.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

So about 1% of City of London employees have gone to the EU. That's not a win for the EU but UK companies managing out bad employees and sending their crud to places, perceived as boring Frankfurt or high tax and restrictive labour laws Paris for example, that no one wants to go and live.

And as for passporting, the EU have begged the UK to extend equivalence until June 2022, deal or no deal, and will do so regularly into the future. The UK as far as I can see have not agreed to this yet unless UK law applies across the EU without interference from Brussels and we should say no, cut off their money if you will unless the EU agree to UK rule. If we did refuse EU financial access to London on January 1st the EUROzone would be bust the next day and unable to borrow the trillions it needs for future spending plans. Nah the City is safe and in an article seemingly written in explanation just for you:-

The Luftwaffe couldn't destroy the City and neither will Mr Barnier.

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/ex...nier-luftwaffe

You're welcome.
    And you're back to WW2 references... how often do you have to do this to realise I don't care? We're both 2-3 generations removed from that crap. The only insult is that you think I care, to be honest.

Nobody cares about how many of your corrupt bankers come to the EU. You can keep your criminals, thank you very much. Heck, I'd be happy for you to keep the assets and survive, too. But if you really want to ship those trillions of assets to us, who are we to complain?

The EU hasn't "begged" you to extend equivalence. The EU has offered it to you so you can pretend you're relevant a little longer. Feel free to decline and then complain about how evil the EU is for making you decline. It seems to be the pattern in Brexiteer action. It's funny that you think you can fool anyone with that "strategy", I must admit.

UK law will never apply within the EU. We will of course adhere to UK law when we do business in the UK. That, my friend, is called respectfully observing the sovereignity of your nation. By the way, we have always done that. It's not a new thing and nothing that needs a new agreement to. It's how countries operate and have operated since... oh, the 17th century at least?

Nobody here cares about "access to London". It's the other way around, buddy. Those trillions have already moved to the EU and more will move.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    It's just an attempt to discredit the forecast, nothing else. Just like he will decry any discrepancy from that prediction a proof that they don't know what they were doing and never knew. The principle mechanics - and intention - of predictions like this has been thoroughly explained to Dribbles long ago. To no avail, obviously, since understanding requires a willingness to actually listen.
    I'm aware. We're all aware. But it's fun to feed him, and there's a chance that if we don't fight back others will fall for what he's saying.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    And you're back to WW2 references... how often do you have to do this to realise I don't care? We're both 2-3 generations removed from that crap. The only insult is that you think I care, to be honest.

Nobody cares about how many of your corrupt bankers come to the EU. You can keep your criminals, thank you very much. Heck, I'd be happy for you to keep the assets and survive, too. But if you really want to ship those trillions of assets to us, who are we to complain?

The EU hasn't "begged" you to extend equivalence. The EU has offered it to you so you can pretend you're relevant a little longer. Feel free to decline and then complain about how evil the EU is for making you decline. It seems to be the pattern in Brexiteer action. It's funny that you think you can fool anyone with that "strategy", I must admit.

UK law will never apply within the EU. We will of course adhere to UK law when we do business in the UK. That, my friend, is called respectfully observing the sovereignity of your nation. By the way, we have always done that. It's not a new thing and nothing that needs a new agreement to. It's how countries operate and have operated since... oh, the 17th century at least?

Nobody here cares about "access to London". It's the other way around, buddy. Those trillions have already moved to the EU and more will move.
    I'm afraid you need to smell das kaffee.

If the EU want access to trillions of euro from the City of London, UK then they will have no choice but to be ruled by UK law. When you go cap in hand to borrow money from your bank you comply with everything they ask for or you don't walk away with that loan. If the UK says to the EU jump up and down on one leg for 5 minutes and we will grant you access to that finance, then that's what the EU will do.

Quite simply in future the EU will be ruled by the UK, with no say in how those rules are formulated. /three cheers for brexit!

Taking back control one might say, just as the UK populace ordered and brexit working as intended.

If the EU want access to trillions of euro from the City of London, UK then they will have no choice but to be ruled by UK law. When you go cap in hand to borrow money from your bank you comply with everything they ask for or you don't walk away with that loan. If the UK says to the EU jump up and down on one leg for 5 minutes and we will grant you access to that finance, then that's what the EU will do.

Quite simply in future the EU will be ruled by the UK, with no say in how those rules are formulated. /three cheers for brexit!

Taking back control one might say, just as the UK populace ordered and brexit working as intended.
    You post a lot of crap and very little that you link actually says what you say it says. Are you even from the UK?

If the EU want access to trillions of euro from the City of London, UK then they will have no choice but to be ruled by UK law.
    Euros printed in the City of London are worth nothing but a prison sentence...

We don't specifically want trillions of Euros from the City of London. We are, however, getting them in the form of assets that are being moved to the EU. We didn't ask for this, we're just getting it. By the way, your notion of the EU being ruled by UK law really says a lot about the crazy that goes on in your head. Equivalence. Look up the word, learn the English language.

And the EU doesn't exactly need a loan from the UK. A LOAN? You couldn't afford the types of loans the EUROPEAN UNION would consider interesting. You can shove that loan up your ass, my man. I think we'll get by without it just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Euros printed in the City of London are worth nothing but a prison sentence...
    I think he slipped up there, it was a prime opportunity to talk about trillions of pounds, but instead he seems to have accepted what the actual reference currency in Europe is and indirectly admitted the true insignificance of the British pound in international trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    True, the cost of Brexit could be higher.

At first I wanted to write that in jest, but then I read the report - https://www.bakermckenzie.com/en/ins...re-of-uk-trade

By virtue of its EU membership, the UK is currently a party to over 40 FTAs that the EU has signed, but unless it can reproduce these agreements, they will expire on 31 December 2020; same as when the UK’s Brexit transition period ends.
    Oxford Economics modelling assumes that the UK manages to replicate all existing EU deals
    (The report was made by Oxford Economics together with Baker McKenzie.)

Obviously it can also be lower, if the uk manages to sign a FTA with the US that is estimated to gain 0.2%, and joining CPTPP adds another 0.05% compared to the loss of 3.9% due to Brexit. (Note that the uk currently has FTA with 6 members of CPTPP through EU; and the remaining ones are a bit far off.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You have to also consider which reality he's in.

10+ Year Old Account

I could see you after the fact and final count of the losses like " See? It was just 130 billion pounds! That 134 billion pound euro lie is finally exposed!"